Minor victory thread

My son's coaches are great guys. The head coach sent texts to my husband on Thursday evening, Friday, and Saturday morning to make sure Noah was ok. When we got to the field on Saturday afternoon the head coach and both assistants came over to look at him, with the head coach offering to let him sit out if he wasn't feeling up to playing (he was fine). They asked us if we had him checked for a concussion because the hit he had taken during practice had concerned them. I was pretty impressed since most coaches I've known would ask once if he was ok, then go about their business.

On a side note, in the text on Friday the head coach told my husband he was glad Noah was ok since he's central to their defense. He's the linebacker they almost always send in for the pass rush & blitz plays.
This is going to sound like a dumb question (especially since you probably wrote the answer elsewhere and I just forgot), but I thought Noah was playing flag football, i.e. no tackling? Or was it just an accidental collision?

He is in flag football. It was an accident. They were playing a game like shirts vs skins, but their version is sharks vs minnows. Anyway, his best friend tried to spin away from him and ended up colliding head first into Noah's face.

This was when it first happened. Now the swelling has gone down so it looks a lot more colorful and spread out. Underneath his eye, from the inner corner to about the middle of his eyeball, it is a deep red-purple. His cheek is yellow and greenish from the bruising there. I told him that he only needs orange to make a rainbow on his face. He was not amused.

blackeye.jpg

Well, had a fun medical adventure this week. Was diagnosed with malignant hypertension (I have struggled with BP for most of my life, a lovely family trait). Had to have my blood pressure brought down hard to avoid a stroke.

Basically can't eat sodium anymore, forever, but I'm not dead. So minor victory.

Hey now, eating sodium is kind of mandatory to living. You might have to restrict it, but you can't eliminate it from your diet any more than you can eliminate Vitamin C.

--Patrick

I don't know if you guys will remember, but a guilty verdict has been given to the man that struck a cosplayer's sister, the sister's boyfriend and her 4 dogs, killing all but the sister. Man, I can't believe it's been nearly 2 years already. I was pretty shaken about the whole incident and followed it somewhat closely since it impacted someone I admire so much. The man was convicted of 2nd degree murder, gross vehicular manslaughter, felonly hit and run and driving under the influence. I just feel so happy for them. And I'm happy it's over with.

I got a bit bored of my 3DS XL being the standard plain red so I decided to paint it. It has a few flaws but I think that it turned out quite nicely! :)

CameraZOOM-20140515194017994.jpg CameraZOOM-20140515194050018.jpg CameraZOOM-20140515194128651.jpg

Last edited:
Made the first A in a class in fucking forever.

Still got high hopes for my other one as well.

It feels great.

So, starting off on this nearly salt free (and hopefully, nearly death free) existence. Had to throw out pretty much any food in my house that wasn't fresh. Bought a bunch of Mrs. Dash blends. Luckily my girlfriend is supporting me on this the way she is. A lot of what we threw out was her favorite stuff.

Cajungal

Staff member
I am getting way more efficient at my job. My first two years as a teacher, I maybe wrote 6,000 words in all. This school year alone I must have put down closer to 10,000. Not all on the same story, mind you, but it's still a big win for me. I didn't appreciate how important it was for me to make time for that. Feels good.

Yesterday was my 365th day without a drink. No meetings. No support groups. And no drinks.

Coincidentally, yesterday the tooth that has been bothering me was finally diagnosed, and with very little warning wrenched from my head in a permanent manner.

I mention it because I was told that really, I didn't need it. I could replace it, if I like, but most people who lose that one just adapt and learn to live without it. It's going to be very uncomfortable at first, and it may cost me some sleep and a bit of stress, but in the end I will be fine.

Can't help but think that these two things are related.

Sent out 15 applications/website fill-ins yesterday around 4:00 p.m. I've heard from two so far and one sounds like a really good opportunity for me. They requested 10,000 characters per hour typing, which shouldn't be too hard since I already type 65 wpm.

fade

Staff member
Sent out 15 applications/website fill-ins yesterday around 4:00 p.m. I've heard from two so far and one sounds like a really good opportunity for me. They requested 10,000 characters per hour typing, which shouldn't be too hard since I already type 65 wpm.
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
kwMMAHO.gif

--Patrick

Took the typing test and the Excel test. Typing test went ok but my weakness is typing lots of numbers (and it was evident). I'm hoping since my alphaneumeric test well, though. The Excel test was interesting and easy until I reached making the table. I tried two different ways and after skipping the question I'm wondering if the test wanted me to use Ctrl T to make it.

Took the typing test and the Excel test. Typing test went ok but my weakness is typing lots of numbers (and it was evident). I'm hoping since my alphaneumeric test well, though. The Excel test was interesting and easy until I reached making the table. I tried two different ways and after skipping the question I'm wondering if the test wanted me to use Ctrl T to make it.
Got a reply to the email and the recruiter told me I did great. Welp, looks good so far!

I hate those tests, they really need to improve the "how did you solve this problem" algorithm, because I know excel backwards and forwards, but if I don't use the steps they want me to use, I still fail the tests, and it's ridiculous.

I hate those tests, they really need to improve the "how did you solve this problem" algorithm, because I know excel backwards and forwards, but if I don't use the steps they want me to use, I still fail the tests, and it's ridiculous.
Yeah, it took me 30 minutes to do 30 questions, mostly because of that one I just couldn't figure out how they wanted me to do it.

Today was my first day at work that wasn't just training and I really think I'm going to like the job. My boss and coworkers all seem nice and the work reminded me of why I got into CS in the first place after my classes the past year made me forget. Only issue is that they're planning on moving me to handle some support calls once I'm more familiar with the software and I'm really awkward on the phone. All in all though, definitely happy with how its going.

Interview today at 3:30. Starting to get really nervous. Breathe in, breathe out.
If it starts to go sideways, just stand up and sing

You can get anything you want, at Alice's Restaurant
You can get anything you want, at Alice's Restaurant
Walk right in, it's around the back
Just a half a mile from the railway track
And you can get anything you want, at Alice's Restaurant

And walk out.