[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

GasBandit

Staff member
So the boss brings to my attention that our ABC news feed on our country station is coming out garbling and skipping. I look into the matter, consult the engineer for verification, and we're in agreement - the problem is solar transit. IE, it's just that time of year where the sun passes directly behind the satellite so at certain times of the day any signal you get from them is severely distorted. So I explain this to the boss. He says "So how are you gonna fix it?"

Well, do I have an orbital launch in my budget? (I almost ask)

So, because I have the motor control of a toddler, I dropped my new Galaxy Nexus and smashed the touchscreen. I am ridiculously mad at myself. I even bought a case for it, but, of course, it hasn't yet arrived. I don't know what these things cost to replace, but some cursory research suggests doing it myself is beyond my ability, and having it done will run me $200. Given some other expenses and the fact that I only work part-time... There's about a month of pay gone.

Fuck.

GasBandit

Staff member
So, because I have the motor control of a toddler, I dropped my new Galaxy Nexus and smashed the touchscreen. I am ridiculously mad at myself. I even bought a case for it, but, of course, it hasn't yet arrived. I don't know what these things cost to replace, but some cursory research suggests doing it myself is beyond my ability, and having it done will run me $200. Given some other expenses and the fact that I only work part-time... There's about a month of pay gone.

Fuck.
There might be a replacement screen you can buy and install yourself. I make a few extra bucks here and there replacing smashed iphone screens. All you need is a set of teensy screwdrivers, a hairdryer, and a do-it-yourself guide from the internet.

... ok, googling it up, it seems the touchscreen for the galaxy nexus is built in and inseperable from the LCD... sooo... yeah. Might I suggest insuring it this time.

There might be a replacement screen you can buy and install yourself. I make a few extra bucks here and there replacing smashed iphone screens. All you need is a set of teensy screwdrivers, a hairdryer, and a do-it-yourself guide from the internet.

... ok, googling it up, it seems the touchscreen for the galaxy nexus is built in and inseperable from the LCD... sooo... yeah. Might I suggest insuring it this time.
Yeah that's basically what I found too, unfortunately. I'm going down to my phone company after university is done for the day. I've forgotten whether I insured it or not, so there's a small hope I was savvy enough to do that. Le sigh.

I was blindlingly mad at myself when it happened, and I'm still pretty ticked. Which is ridiculous, it's just a phone. I guess I'm more of a materialist than I'd have liked to think.

GasBandit

Staff member
I was blindlingly mad at myself when it happened, and I'm still pretty ticked. Which is ridiculous, it's just a phone. I guess I'm more of a materialist than I'd have liked to think.
Anyone who doesn't get mad over the ruining of a $400 item is either jawdroppingly rich or dangerously disconnected from economic reality.

I guess I just surprised myself with how angry I got. I'd like to think I'm usually pretty in-control about these sort of things. In the grand scheme, the fact that even on my part time salary, I can afford to add this to my monthly expenses is pretty fortunate. I feel badly perhaps because I'm unreasonably upset, instead of a more understandable level of irritation.

Cajungal

Staff member
Goddamn fucking Pokemon-lovers turning what could have been a fun and creative movie-making class into obnoxious noise-making contests! Yes... my students wanted to make a Pokemon movie. God forbid we come up with something cool. Let's just recycle this colorful shit that we use as playground currency. I'm glad they're having fun, but goddamnit. This course can't end soon enough.

M

makare

sounds like you missed the opportunity to teach them about copyright infringement.

Cajungal

Staff member
I actually used that argument! My biggest beef is that these classes are a group effort. You can come into them with certain expectations, but there were 2 boys who practically had a whole movie written and said, "we're going to do this." Well, I shot that down because they came in completely unwilling to compromise. Unfortunately, the other kids liked the idea and latched on to it. So, they'll have fun and get something out of it, but I'll have a miserable time. We have a field trip coming up to talk to people at the Acadiana Open Channel, so that'll be fun.

S

Soliloquy

I'm too poor to afford new dress shirts, and my old shirts are all ripping when I bend my elbows while stretching my arms. Ugh.

fade

Staff member
Something is happening at work. I don't know what, but I get this sense of ominous dread. Too many little things adding up. Hope I'm still employed. I have theories, but I'm not going to post them. Walls have ears and all. Proxies don't stop keyloggers.

My cat has taken to sleeping on my phone at night which has the sad affect of pretty much muting any sound coming out of the phone which is an issue because I use my phone as my alarm.

My cat has taken to sleeping on my phone at night which has the sad affect of pretty much muting any sound coming out of the phone which is an issue because I use my phone as my alarm.
I hate it when I roll over on my phone and don't hear the alarm... that panic'd wake up is not fun.....