[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Someone unfriended me on Facebook today because I (respectfully) criticized that they had a book called "How to Draw the Marvel Way" by Stan Lee. The criticism comes from the fact that not only is Lee not even remotely an artist, but he has a known history of screwing over artists like Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko. The way she commented on the book (after I offered to lend her Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics) made it seem like that was the only art book she needed.

To disagree is fine, but to just cut me off like that? Ugh. Good riddance. It's no different than deleting comments just because someone disagrees or criticizes you.

I had someone delete their facebook post in a group. There had been a 20+ comment discussion going on...but she deleted the oroginal post because we had informed her how factually wrong she was.

Then she posted the same post again, word for word, and when we asked her why she responded with "I was tired of listening to idiots. This time people will agree or I'll delete the group."

I left the group.

I'm a Grade A asshole. To clarify, the person that unfriended me was a girl I've had a crush on since last year. I think I mentioned her before: artist, nerd (into comics), lets her inner child out to play more so than others I've met. Really cool girl. I've tried asking her out a few times, but she's shot me down. Eventually, I took the hint and left her alone. Still, we were friends on Facebook and I unknowingly was commenting on most everything she was posting. Apparently it was making her uncomfortable. On top of that, she's a lot younger than I realized - 11 years younger than me, in fact, which made my asking her out all the more uncomfortable.

So not only have I made her uncomfortable by commenting on almost everything she posted (something a friend of mine also did once until I told her flat out to stop because it felt like stalking), but I've made her uncomfortable in about every other possibly way.

No fucking wonder I'm single. Fuck.

Doesn't change the improper behaviour. That's largely been my problem when I become interested in a girl: I go in way too headstrong.

You have things backwards, Nick. At the start of being with a girl, you need to be aloof and unreachable, so she'll feel you're independent and cool. Then when she gets attached to you, you need to pay attention to her all the time, constantly, to the point of neglecting your own desires and goals, so she'll feel the relationship is stable.

There you go. All problems solved.

(Don't take any of this advice.)

This Kony 2012 things is driving me insane. I have been trying to research this from the stance it is not a scam...but everything I read about it fills with a sickly 'this is so a scam' feeling.

This Kony 2012 things is driving me insane. I have been trying to research this from the stance it is not a scam...but everything I read about it fills with a sickly 'this is so a scam' feeling.
It's not a 'scam' as much as it is just not a very good charity. This guy is a scholar of Ugandan politics and has this to say about why it's such an ill-conceived plot: http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts...is_not_in_uganda_and_other_complicated_things

And this guy explains why the charity itself is not exactly trustworthy: http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/post/18890947431/we-got-trouble

Kony's a shitbag, but Invisible Children is not the way to go.

All you need to know is that he's not Carl Weathers and never will be.

Was going to take a break from writing to do some coloring via Photoshop of the pictures I drew for tomorrow's update, and then realized my wife took the camera (our makeshift scanner) to a place she can't use it. Nonetheless, it's with her. And that sucks.

And this guy explains why the charity itself is not exactly trustworthy: http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/post/18890947431/we-got-trouble
From there:

“manipulates facts for strategic purposes, exaggerating the scale of LRA abductions and murders and emphasizing the LRA’s use of innocent children as soldiers, and portraying Kony — a brutal man, to be sure — as uniquely awful, a Kurtz-like embodiment of evil.”

Now, Kony may be evil, but his webcomics are NOT late.

fade

Staff member
Yeah, from what I've read, Invisible Children ain't so great themselves. One thing I find weird? Average joes actually seem to be doing their research on this one. Not sure why. The cynic in me thinks it's because the charity is supposed to help Africans, and so there must be something wrong with it. But the kid in me loves the frosted side.

Yeah, from what I've read, Invisible Children ain't so great themselves. One thing I find weird? Average joes actually seem to be doing their research on this one. Not sure why. The cynic in me thinks it's because the charity is supposed to help Africans, and so there must be something wrong with it. But the kid in me loves the frosted side.
I always do my research on charities. It's depressing how many are awful.

It's not a 'scam' as much as it is just not a very good charity. This guy is a scholar of Ugandan politics and has this to say about why it's such an ill-conceived plot: http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts...is_not_in_uganda_and_other_complicated_things

Kony's a shitbag, but Invisible Children is not the way to go.
Counterpoints

Both of those articles you're referencing have serious problems themselves, more than IC does from what I've seen. The Visible Children tumblr seems to be actively trying to twist facts to paint them in a negative light. They mention the 2/4 stars Charity Navigator gave them because they lack all 5 independent voting members of their Board of Directors (they have 4 at the moment and are working on adding the fifth, FYI), and yet even though they talk about how IC spends it's donations, they fail to mention the 4/4 stars Charity Navigation gives them for Financial Performance. Further, they imply IC is defending the UPDF with regards to accusations of rape and looting, when they've done nothing of the sort.

Counterpoints

Both of those articles you're referencing have serious problems themselves, more than IC does from what I've seen. The Visible Children tumblr seems to be actively trying to twist facts to paint them in a negative light. They mention the 2/4 stars Charity Navigator gave them because they lack all 5 independent voting members of their Board of Directors (they have 4 at the moment and are working on adding the fifth, FYI), and yet even though they talk about how IC spends it's donations, they fail to mention the 4/4 stars Charity Navigation gives them for Financial Performance. Further, they imply IC is defending the UPDF with regards to accusations of rape and looting, when they've done nothing of the sort.
I assume you're referring to this line:

Both the Ugandan army and Sudan People’s Liberation Army are riddled with accusations of rape and looting, but Invisible Children defends them, arguing that the Ugandan army is “better equipped than that of any of the other affected countries”, although Kony is no longer active in Uganda and hasn’t been since 2006 by their own admission.
I think the author means that IC defends their work with the army, not that they defend the rape and looting. However, it is poorly worded, and possibly intentionally to give the impression that IC defends the rape/looting.

However, I don't feel that the VC Tumblr is striving to paint IC in a negative light. The author has said he is playing devil's advocate, and that he thinks the charity does great advocacy work, but that their aid work is misguided. He has repeatedly declined interviews because he doesn't want his word/opinion to be taken as gospel, he'd rather help inform people and guide them to counter-points which can then help them make their own choice, which I think is a respectable position.

The other article, from Foreign Policy, I'm not sure what you take issue with. The man is very well-informed on Ugandan problems and I think his concerns are legitimate.

I probably shouldn't have stated "Invisible Children is not the way to go," with such absoluteness in my post. It isn't the way to go for me, but I respect the agency of others to make up their own minds. I do think the counter-arguments against this particular campaign are sufficient to look for other charities to support.

I assume you're referring to this line:

I think the author means that IC defends their work with the army, not that they defend the rape and looting. However, it is poorly worded, and possibly intentionally to give the impression that IC defends the rape/looting.
That section, and this one:

Still, the bulk of Invisible Children’s spending isn’t on supporting African militias, but on awareness and filmmaking
Sure, the bulk of their spending isn't on supporting African militias, because they don't use spending to support African militias at all. There is no point saying that unless you want to imply that they do in fact financially support militias to some extent.

The other article, from Foreign Policy, I'm not sure what you take issue with. The man is very well-informed on Ugandan problems and I think his concerns are legitimate.
Most are covered by IC's response, but still, I'll cover them here.

First is the "Kony is not in Uganda" point. As he admits, IC's video actually says this. No, they don't repeat it a lot, but they don't need to since it's largely irrelevant. Doesn't matter whether he's in Uganda, the Congo, or anywhere else, he's a mass murderer that abducts children to serve as child soldiers and sex slaves, and should be permanently stopped.

Second is how, when he references the Visible Children tumblr, he doesn't even do so accurately.

Also, apparently it's never been externally audited.
No, that's not even what the VC said, nor is it true. They have been audited by Considine and Considine, for the past six years.

Then there's the ridiculous "white man's burden" comment, which doesn't have any place in this discussion. What, white people can't help black people anymore? If a white person cares about black children being abducted, it's apparently only because of our "burden".

He also acts like since there's no immediate threat of the advisors being pulled out, they shouldn't be doing anything about it at all. That sort of attitude, that unless something is literally about to fall apart, you shouldn't do anything about it, is the sort of attitude the American government uses in dealing with our debt, unless we're about to default and crash the economy, they do nothing, and this should not be encouraged. Criticizing IC for being proactive and making sure that their concerns don't become forgotten is facepalm worthy. Ironically, it also oversimplifies IC's position, since while making sure the advisors is part of the purpose for this campaign, it's not the whole point.

Finally there's his ending, which points out other problems in the region and says that stopping Kony won't fix those. Of course not, they're not claiming it will. Kony 2012 is merely supposed to be an entry point for people who didn't really know about the problems over there, and hopefully not be the end of action in that section of the world. He also says:

if more hardware and money flow to Museveni's military, Invisible Children's campaign may even worsen some problems.
Their campaign is NOT to send money and hardware into the Ugandan miltary. Nowhere have I seen them say that it was, so this statement is pure fear-mongering. They've called for organizational/information support in finding Kony, and diplomatic efforts in getting the local governments to cooperate in hunting him down. A good report on it can be found here.

I probably shouldn't have stated "Invisible Children is not the way to go," with such absoluteness in my post. It isn't the way to go for me, but I respect the agency of others to make up their own minds. I do think the counter-arguments against this particular campaign are sufficient to look for other charities to support.
Not saying the IC is perfect, but a lot of the complaints I've seen are either inaccurate or irrelevant. The main reason one should look for other charities to support is if there's one that focuses on a cause you find more important. There's plenty of causes that need help in the world, and like basically all charities, IC doesn't work with all of them. If IC doesn't focus on the one/ones you find the most important, I totally agree you should spend your money on a charity that does. IC obviously got people's attention though, so people with other causes to support should be tapping into that, working together to build on it, not standing in a metaphorical corner, dismissing IC's efforts because IC's cause isn't the cause they have.

Well, now I just feel like a moron. I've been suffering from, shall we say, intestinal issues off and on for the past, oh, 6 months or so. I just now figured it out, based on not having my normal (and fairly healthy) breakfast for the last 3 days and having it again today. Grapefruit. My body hates grapefruit. Now I have to find a different quick, nutritious breakfast.

The day I realized I was lactose intolerant was a wonderful day... sadly it took me almost 18yrs and for the longest time I thought it was mushrooms. *facepalm*

It's as filling as I need it to be, I was going with 8 oz servings of pre-segmented red grapefruit in juice, no added sugar.

I still have dairy about once a week, but nowhere near as much as I want to. Simply because I don't like my body pretending to be 1-2 sizes larger than it really is in my clothes.

So, kickboxing today, I'm teaching a class. Holding pads for one guy in the ring and I'm holding up the fucking heaviest thai pads I think there are available - so I'm exhausted. And then it's my turn to hit and my arms are jelly.

And I haven't had breakfast.
And I haven't had lunch.

So, it's blood-sugar crash city and I'm passed out in the bathroom within 30 minutes of the beginning of class. God damnit.

Making a CV look half-decent is pretty hard when you have basically zero experience. Temp agency tomorrow, and I'm kinda nervous.

Lent my wife my Kindle so she can read The Hunger Games.

And now we come to another reason books are better. When I lend someone a paperback, I don't have to lend them all my paperbacks at once. Fortunately I still have some real books in the closet that I've not read yet while I wait for her to go through the trilogy so I can read other stuff that's on my Kindle.

Every time there is a Windows Service Pack update I seemt o lose input function on my cintiq (Okay to be fair this is only the second time, I haven't had the cintiq that long). I just lost 3 hours of work time to reinstalling driver updates and service pack updates today.

Yup. And then the cintiq doesn't work, so you reinstall the driver and boot up.
Still doesn't work so you reinstall the latest driver update and reboot.
Still doesn't work so you reinstall the Windows serive pack and reboot.
Rinse and repeat until you magically crack the code of which precise order you apparently have to do this in.

Somebody has been destroying the restroom here at work for the last few weeks. Smell that makes you gag...

Well today he turned around and found the Air Freshener... Now it smells like shit and lemons.

Not just lemons but he sprayed so much out I could barely breathe do to the saturation of that stuff in the air.