[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

GasBandit

Staff member
I decided the same thing last year or the year before, but because they decided to climb into the same boat as Chick-fil-A and Hobby Lobby, not their substandard service.

--Patrick
That was what I meant about compromising my scruples. I went into this thinking I'd be spending $600 tops, so I was trying to claw down the price as much as I could.

Put a great big ol' cross and a "What would jesus do?" picture right above where the dishwasher would go to shame the technicians into doing the right thing ;)

GasBandit

Staff member
Jesus is Mexican and would have done the job right the first time.
Every single installer that has visited me has been hispanic, and terrified that if they exerted one more iota of effort or spent 1 more minute in my house than absolutely necessary, Home Depot would fire them (and probably report them).

People aren't allowed to be good while on the clock, any more.

People aren't allowed to be good while on the clock, any more.
OMG this. So much.
"Hey, Patrick...can you explain why you spent 90min on this trouble ticket when everyone else only takes 30?"
"Sure can! The last THREE folks you assigned to handle this exact same issue fucked it up MORE without actually fixing anything, so not only did I have to solve what they apparently couldn't, I also had to undo all the new messes they made."
"Yes well you are making our turnaround numbers look bad, so we really need you to get these done faster."
"THEN YOU SHOULD HAVE SENT ME FIRST"

--Patrick

The big box stores have never been great for those kind of services in my experience. I have installed the last two washers because of that. They do come in handy for carrying a washing machine up some stairs. I am not doing that.

GasBandit

Staff member
Plumber came this morning, and it's finally installed.

So on to the next home-related rant... I'm sick and tired of LED bulbs that don't even last as long as the incandescents used to because of the cheapass chinese transformers used in them. The whole reason we were supposed to be ok with switching to LED bulbs at a much greater cost was because they were supposed to last for fuckin ever, but I have yet to have one last 8 months.

I'm surprised. I have an LED in my lamp by the desk that's usually on for 10+ hours a day and it's lasted at least 2 years without losing anything.

I think for the last decade or more, the only time I've ever changed a lightbulb was when I moved into a new place or when finally replacing incandescents that burned out. I haven't had a single LED burn out on me, like...ever

GasBandit

Staff member
I think for the last decade or more, the only time I've ever changed a lightbulb was when I moved into a new place or when finally replacing incandescents that burned out. I haven't had a single LED burn out on me, like...ever
Like I said to Ash - what brand do you buy? Because these Great Eagle ones ain't it, bruh.

Plumber came this morning, and it's finally installed.

So on to the next home-related rant... I'm sick and tired of LED bulbs that don't even last as long as the incandescents used to because of the cheapass chinese transformers used in them. The whole reason we were supposed to be ok with switching to LED bulbs at a much greater cost was because they were supposed to last for fuckin ever, but I have yet to have one last 8 months.
I track them in a spreadsheet.

Incandescents don't have transformers, though. I know it's a current (heh) requirement to include some form of inherent surge protection in modern (electronic) ballasts, but I also don't know what kind of fluorescents you're using.

I've had exactly one LED bulb fail on me that I can remember (which wasn't due to external causes, that is), and all it did was go out for 5-10min at a time and then come back on. But it's in a multi-bulb fixture, so I haven't replaced it yet. Weirdly enough it's a bulb we got from the power company as a promotional "Why don't you switch to LEDs?" thing. Hey guys, if you were trying to impress us with LED benefits, you picked a lousy sample.

--Patrick

I feel ya. Over the last two years, I've broken three of my favorite mugs. Four, if you count the one I broke IN THE CAR right after I bought it and had to go back in and buy another one.

--Patrick

I've had exactly one LED bulb fail on me that I can remember (which wasn't due to external causes, that is), and all it did was go out for 5-10min at a time and then come back on. But it's in a multi-bulb fixture, so I haven't replaced it yet.
Update on this: It's a Westinghouse-branded bulb, and it looks like what's going on is that since it is mounted in a socket that orients it base-up (or at least "base-high"--it's one of four in a ceiling fan) , the heat generated by the electronics portion of the bulb has nowhere to go and so gets to the point where it trips the thermal protection and causes the bulb to have to "rest" long enough for it to cool down and recover, then this cycle repeats. The bulb is labeled "Universal replacement" and "15yr lifespan," but I guess they should've also put a disclaimer on there that these claims are only valid if the bulb is installed in a fixture that keeps the base lower than the bulb.

--Patrick

Ever since I was a graduate student, I've been known as an even-tempered instructor. That's something I've taken pride in. That changed today when I blew up at a student.

I gave him a dressing-down after class because he'd been habitually tardy, absent, or on his phone the entire semester. This particular student is one of my cheaters. He had the gall to show up 15 minutes late today, play with his phone the whole time, and then try to sign the attendance sheet at the end. When I asked him what was going on he said he just "hadn't been feeling it today, y'know what I'm sayin'?" That's when I full on shouted at him. I snapped for a few seconds before regaining my composure, which I feel kinda bad about. On the other hand, I probably scared him straight for the rest of the semester.

You can do what you want, but every college class I had that counted attendance points took the attendance at the start. I suppose this could lead to people signing in and leaving but I don’t think that was actually a major occurrence for my classes.

I pass the attendance sheet around 10 minutes into class, then collect it 20 minutes in. That way I don't penalize the students who are just a few minutes late (parking can be a major problem). Anybody who comes in after that can stay but they certainly won't be counted as present.

Students signing in and sneaking out has become a big problem. The back row tends to be the worst. Even halfway through class you can see them packing up their backpacks. If you turn your back they'll bolt for the door.

I've also noticed a generally heightened sense of anxiety among my students since the pandemic. They're glued to their phones partly because they're worried they'll miss some sort of emergency call from home. With my university being an HBCU, most of my students are twice as likely as their white counterparts to be caretakers in multi-family homes. I get that. But if they can't stay off their phones for an hour then what they have is an addiction.

It's too bad we can't jam phone signals in the classroom. I'm pretty sure some my students' heads would explode.

GasBandit

Staff member
GF has her 90 day review today at a job she's not even sure she wants to stay in. As previously mentioned, her boss is worse than useless and the company is circling the drain and might not exist in the fall. And today the boss's boss told her to report a massive accidental overpayment by a client (which they will have to immediately pay back of course) as revenue in the accounting system.

How... "creative."

GF has her 90 day review today at a job she's not even sure she wants to stay in. As previously mentioned, her boss is worse than useless and the company is circling the drain and might not exist in the fall. And today the boss's boss told her to report a massive accidental overpayment by a client (which they will have to immediately pay back of course) as revenue in the accounting system.

How... "creative."
She works for Trump Media? :troll: