[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Fair, and at least I got a story out of it.

Also got another one, last delivery of the day, THIRTEEN bucks ,less than a mile, YES... until I read the address. It was for the Walnut Street MacDonalds, whose building was torn down YEARS ago! Am I delivering to god damn ghosts?!
They tore down the McDonald's on 15th and Walnut?! TIL.

I am trying to keep a positive perspective about this but it's a bit demotivating/demoralizing.

I got my performance review at work on Monday. My boss said I got promoted to next scientist level and a 10% increase in pay. Great news, right? Today HR called a meeting and said there was a mistake on their end and I wasn't supposed to be promoted nor get the raise. I tried to fight back at least for the raise, but no good.

So, I am happy that I have a job, but really pissed at being treated this way. An apology doesn't cut it. Not sure how I am going to respond.

Dave

Staff member
Just got back from the bank. It was the kind of meeting that went something like, "You are not exactly poor but in the eyes of the economy you're scum who is not allowed to purchase a house. Keep renting at exorbitant prices, you wage slave!"

Yeah. To get even a halfway decent house right now we'd need $2100 - 3000 a month in payments. Right now renting I pay $1400. But you can't GET a house with a lower mortgage payment than even renting any more. It's insane.

GasBandit

Staff member
Just got back from the bank. It was the kind of meeting that went something like, "You are not exactly poor but in the eyes of the economy you're scum who is not allowed to purchase a house. Keep renting at exorbitant prices, you wage slave!"

Yeah. To get even a halfway decent house right now we'd need $2100 - 3000 a month in payments. Right now renting I pay $1400. But you can't GET a house with a lower mortgage payment than even renting any more. It's insane.
That's nuts. My mortgage payment is only $860/mo. Though, mine is just a single story 1450 sqft 3-bed 2-bath... you probably need more house than that what with more people living with you, I'd guess.

That's nuts. My mortgage payment is only $860/mo. Though, mine is just a single story 1450 sqft 3-bed 2-bath... you probably need more house than that what with more people living with you, I'd guess.
House prices, even in Texas, have gone up considerably in the last few years.
When I was waiting for my divorce to finalize, I was looking at buying closer to DFW. North Richland Hills, Irving, Denton, Lewisville, etc. Every place I looked at, if you were looking to pay 300K or less, you were looking at real shitholes.

I had to move further out to find a house that wasn't basically in the same price range as I was paying in Virginia.

Covid screwed my "move to Texas and mostly buy a house outright with my VA home sale profits.". In 2018, median home prices were $260K and in 2019, $411K...wtf

GasBandit

Staff member
House prices, even in Texas, have gone up considerably in the last few years.
You're not joking. They were already rising when I got in, which I felt like I did right as the buzzer was sounding for the end of the "houses are affordable" game. Since then, my Zillow "Zestimate" has gone up by 20%... and it had already gone up by 30% from two years before I bought it.

Three outlets in my classroom no longer work (two of which were VERY important). One of the outlets has scorch marks. Fun!

Let's see how long this will take to get fixed, yeah? Anyone want to bet it's at least 2 weeks?

You're not joking. They were already rising when I got in, which I felt like I did right as the buzzer was sounding for the end of the "houses are affordable" game. Since then, my Zillow "Zestimate" has gone up by 20%... and it had already gone up by 30% from two years before I bought it.
Yep, when we bought in 2018 our home was appraised at $165k. Right now, with no upgrades, major projects, and just regular maintenance type stuff, appraisal at $215k.
Post automatically merged:

Three outlets in my classroom no longer work (two of which were VERY important). One of the outlets has scorch marks. Fun!

Let's see how long this will take to get fixed, yeah? Anyone want to bet it's at least 2 weeks?
Seems too short (pun intended), I’ll take 2 months.

Yep, when we bought in 2018 our home was appraised at $165k. Right now, with no upgrades, major projects, and just regular maintenance type stuff, appraisal at $215k.
We bought the house I'm currently in back in 2008. It was worth $562k at the time. It's about 2000 sq. feet. It's in good condition, but we have not made any major renovations or additions since that time.

Our latest estimate priced the home at $1.3 million. :Leyla:

My rent in Cypress (nice neighborhood just northwest of Houston) was $1800 for a 2 bed/2 bath with attached garage and pet deposit back in 2019. That same apartment would be $2500 now.

If you watch those house hunters shows on HGTV, you can see the difference between pre-pandemic and post-pandemic episodes.The newer episodes show properties that are $300,000 more than they were four years ago.

Thanos was right.

The townhouse we bought 7 years ago for $240,000 would sell for $680,000 now. There is no way I could ever move unless I left the Fraser Valley and moved up into the boonies.

The house down the street from us (4be/2ba/1650sqft) sold in December 2020 for 97k.
It sold again 18mo later in June of 2022 for 275k.

--Patrick

It's pretty nuts in the RDU-DUR area. Prices have doubled and tripled in the decade since we moved here. Time will tell how long it will hold. I have a hard time believing the prices can stay this high.

I wonder if it’s “FedEx is going to deliver it to your local USPS office today, expect them to deliver it the ‘last mile’ to you tomorrow, call us if you don’t see it by then.”

—Patrick

Get this tracking update from FedEx today and I am so confused lol.

View attachment 44334
My sister in law had a package get "delivered" by FedEx to our house (whole other issue as Walmart.com "couldn't" deliver to her house). She got a notice it was delivered by FedEx at 8:50 AM, we looked outside, no package. She called FedEx, first was told to check with neighbors, which was already checked with no package, and then was told that they have 48 hours to actually deliver the package after the delivery notice. She responded with basically, "WTF?" About 10 hours later, there's a package on our doorstop for her.

That is their actual response - a delivery notice that isn't actually corresponding to an actual delivery. Then again, they tried to deliver something for me at a neighbor's house and that's acceptable for them too.

UPS, Amazon, and USPS don't seem to have this problem with delivery and this house has been here for over 30 years, so it's not new construction.

I wonder if it’s “FedEx is going to deliver it to your local USPS office today, expect them to deliver it the ‘last mile’ to you tomorrow, call us if you don’t see it by then.”

—Patrick
You optimist. More like "we've given it to a *spins wheel* HR agent in *throws dart* Milwaukee who will deliver it by *rolls dice* moped and according to Google that takes 36 hours so let us know if they're slower so we can reprimand them.

That is their actual response - a delivery notice that isn't actually corresponding to an actual delivery. Then again, they tried to deliver something for me at a neighbor's house and that's acceptable for them too.
That's... That's not how it's supposed to work. Thais not how any of that works. If the driver scanned for delivery before handing it over, that's fraud. I don't know who runs your local station, but man, if I was in the US I'd look it up and report it internally. Sounds like a manager wanting to artificially make their numbers look better for the higher-ups.

A couple weeks ago, the cat had her annual wellness exam. She seemed all right, although there was some inflammation on one of her gums. The vets recommended blood work and a dental cleaning sometime in the future. I had planned on bringing her in sometime later this month. Not a big deal. For the past couple weeks, the cat hasn't been eating her dry dental treats. That can happen sometimes and I didn't think anything of it. She had also been puking but she's prone to hairballs and her winter coat is still falling out. That's something I've gotten used to every spring.

On Thursday, I called the vet about making a follow-up appointment. The cat had just stopped eating her dry food. She still inhaled her treats, though, and some of the treats I give her can be served as a meal. Her behavior and activity levels were normal, and, in the middle of the call, she started gobbling up her dry food again. The vet said to play it by ear, but that I should definitely bring her in for blood work soon. I scheduled an appointment for Tuesday morning because Monday was all booked. If it wasn't for the long holiday weekend I would have brought her in last Friday. Now I think her gum inflammation must be getting worse because she's hesitant to eat even her favorite wet treats. She'll run up to me like usual, start to eat, and then suddenly stop like she's saying "this actually hurts. No thanks."

She'll be seen in less than 48 hours. I'll call them first thing tomorrow and ask if there are any open spots then. I just wish I had been able to schedule something earlier. Why do these things always seem to happen over a holiday weekend?

Edit: She actually ate most of her squeeze-up treat just now. That's a relief.

Last edited:
The cat didn't eat a thing on Monday morning. Fortunately, a slot opened up and I took her in. They did some blood work and it's definitely an issue with her liver. They put in a feeding tube so she can at least get food and water. I couldn't start feeding her until later tonight but she got a few tablespoons of pureed prescription food. More importantly, she kept it down. I'll start the prescribed amounts in the morning.

Here's to hoping that she starts eating on her own soon so we can get that tube taken out.

Was biking home just now. As I was coming towards Wyse & Albro Lake Rd, a driver ahead of me blatantly swerved into the bike lane, completely blocking off from passing them.

I stopped and yelled at them through their window, sarcastically "thanking" them for blocking it.

I didn't listen to their excuse, which sounded like they had to because they were turning right.

Bitch, the bike lane is not a right-hand turning lane. You have zero excuses that fly with me. Fuck off.

Last edited:
I'm already being pressured every day to take other people's shifts and it's pissing me off so bad I'm regretting this job. I fucking hate being guilted and pressured into shit, especially a job I already hate,

Just fucking once in my fucking life I want to work somewhere that isn't in fucking shambles when I start. I swear to God, every job I've ever had was understaffed and it's fucking bullshit.

Fuck this,.

Last edited:
"Yeah, it's gonna be like that until we can hire more people"

=

This is how it's always going to be, fucking leave now.

• Agree
Reactions: Far
The cat had been improving but then started to become lethargic. I thought it was just the meds. She was seen last Thursday and there was nothing alarming. Over the weekend, however, the pupil in her right eye became dilated. I made the call on Monday and brought her in yesterday. She didn't have vision in that eye. They gave me an emergency referral to an ophthalmologist who said she now has really high blood pressure and eye pressure. She's on some new meds now which have finally made the pupil contract. We'll see what happens, but for now she is suffering through yet another medical problem. No cat deserves to go through that, especially such a good kitty like her.