[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Dave

Staff member
Got a call from my sister. Apparently my mom is no longer eating or drinking. They are checking her out to see whether it's an illness or if she's just shutting down.

This is only a minor rant because it's going to be a blessing when she finally goes. It'll be hard on my sister but it'll take so much weight off of her shoulders.

Dave

Staff member
And just got a call from my sister.

"The home just called. Mom ate dinner and is playing hangman with some of the other residents."

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?!? One minute they are talking like she's on death's door and the next she's playing puzzle games with others. The biggest problem is we can't visit her right now. Everything is on lockdown. So all the info we're getting is second-hand and it apparently changes when the shift changes.

So thanks for the hugs and all, but it looks like I don't need them other than to get me through frustration.

And just got a call from my sister.

"The home just called. Mom ate dinner and is playing hangman with some of the other residents."

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?!? One minute they are talking like she's on death's door and the next she's playing puzzle games with others. The biggest problem is we can't visit her right now. Everything is on lockdown. So all the info we're getting is second-hand and it apparently changes when the shift changes.

So thanks for the hugs and all, but it looks like I don't need them other than to get me through frustration.
Just be careful. Oftentimes they have a sudden "better period" before they have their final crash. That's what happened to my aunt.

A former member of my department emailed me to ask about the possibility of returning to the company. If it were up to me, I'd say yes, but my supervisor, HR, and the company CEO all said no, for various reasons. So now I have to draft a professional-sounding email to this person, basically saying, "Yes, but no."

I'm all set up at home in the basement away from everyone else, and that's great because I've been cranky as fuck these last couple of days and don't want to put that on the kids.

Work set us up to call into a meeting this morning.
Work didn't set up the conference with the proper number of participants.
I spent the entire meeting time in a separate "room" with 5 other people, just chatting about life in isolation and how we couldn't get into the "main" meeting.

--Patrick

I won the lottery so to speak this week and last and was able to get in to our large staff meeting. Most of the team can’t, so I’m taking notes.

Dave

Staff member
Just be careful. Oftentimes they have a sudden "better period" before they have their final crash. That's what happened to my aunt.
Good call. Mom has taken a turn for the worst. She's now on hospice and will go any time. Whether I get to see her or not is up in the air. If not, she'll be cremated within hours and I won't ever see her again.

A truly minor rant: I am soooo so so tired of seeing this Joe Exotic guy and all his memes everywhere I go.
@PatrThom Apparently he's some meth-headed criminal lion rancher dude who hates Carole Baskin of Big Cat Rescue. Netflix did some kind of series on him, and the last few days I'm seeing a shit ton of memes about him on Reddit and Facebook.

GasBandit

Staff member
If I've learned one thing from memes this month, it's that Carole Baskin definitely murdered her husband and fed him to the cats.

@PatrThom Apparently he's some meth-headed criminal lion rancher dude who hates Carole Baskin of Big Cat Rescue. Netflix did some kind of series on him, and the last few days I'm seeing a shit ton of memes about him on Reddit and Facebook.
Oh, the Tiger King guy. I see it everywhere, but had no clue what it was about.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Boy oh boy, I sure enjoy getting sent to a meeting with a client for the sole purpose of being there INSTEAD of the guy that fucked up, so that I get to be the one to look like a dipshit instead of the guy who fucked up.

I'm supposed to be on the tenure track next year. My department interviewed me and I was the internal candidate. They wanted to activate the search and then offer me the promotion. Then, all of a sudden, academic affairs stepped in and told them to delay it for now because of impending budget cuts. The entire system is facing a massive shortfall and the president has to review every hire and promotion now. I will almost certainly have a job next year but it might mean the same pay with the added duties. Right now I'm in limbo. I'm posting this in minor rants because at least I'm salaried and can work from home. So I know that there are millions worse off than me. But it still sucks to have a promotion and raise dangled in front of you just for admin to snatch it away.

Had a chance at going to bed at 1:30 for a change.
Spent 45min “wrapping up” stuff that could probably have been done tomorrow.
I am not a smart man.

—Patrick

You know what's kinda annoying? When a client needs to translate their annual report, but decides to save money by just having us translate the new/updated stuff in this year's report, which they'll then insert into last year's report. This means that we often get no context for the stuff we need to translate now, and it gets rather bizarre.

First paragraph:
Our company posted record year-on-year growth over the first three quarters, but suffered a slump in the fourth quarter due to rising costs in personnel, raw materials, and tariffs. Nonetheless, we anticipate strong revenue growth for the foreseeable future, and thus our plans to expand into emerging markets can be accelerated.

Second paragraph:
The health promotion campaign saw strong results, with 68% of all participating employees reporting weight loss, better sleep patterns, or stronger cardivascular health. A small number of employees (6% out of all participants) experienced some side effects from the injections, with one fatality, but we're not sure if Bob Smith's head blew up as a result of a reaction to the drug cocktail, or due to previously existing conditions.

Third paragraph:
The ritual to summon Ug-Qualtoth using the Krivbeknih was unfortunately unsuccessful, we're not sure if it's because we accidentally obtained a fake Krivbeknih, or because the ritual was not performed correctly. Investigations are ongoing, and are expected to be completed before the next summer solstice, at which point we will be able to re-attempt the ritual. Sally Jones from Accounting was used as the human sacrifice last time, but as mentioned it was not successful, therefore for the next ritual we expect to hire a candidate from outside the company rather than promoting from within.

Last edited:
Mom had been complaining of a bowel blockage for the last few days, and it hadn't corrected herself. So she's currently in surgery for a bowel resection and colectomy. She'll have to use a colostomy bag from now on, but given her lack of mobility, it's not a huge deal.

Waiting for further word from sister after the procedure is complete.