[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

GasBandit

Staff member
Back when I'd eat at subway often, my phrase was "... and one line of southwest sauce." Because otherwise they'd go back and forth 3 times.

But yeah, I miss the melts. The clubs. The cold cut combos. With lettuce and pickles and onions and bell peppers, a little salt and pepper, and yes, one line of southwest sauce.

This really attractive bilingual blonde woman with a smoking hot bod just chop blocked me and took the last chocolate eclair.

I'm about at the point where I'm done. With everything and everyone. Not suicidal, but if I didn't wake up tomorrow morning, that would be fine. I'm emotionally and mentally exhausted, and bitter beyond belief. Drugs have never helped, neither has therapy. I'm a broken mess, and I feel powerless to do anything about it. And it pushes people I care about away forever, because they don't have the time or patience to deal with my bullshit.

I'm about at the point where I'm done. With everything and everyone. Not suicidal, but if I didn't wake up tomorrow morning, that would be fine. I'm emotionally and mentally exhausted, and bitter beyond belief. Drugs have never helped, neither has therapy. I'm a broken mess, and I feel powerless to do anything about it. And it pushes people I care about away forever, because they don't have the time or patience to deal with my bullshit.
Damn Cheesy - I am sorry you feel this way. I do hope life turns around for you man.

My uncle died. I want company and I want to be alone at the same time. I wish I was back in Hawaii.
My uncle-in-law died on Wed. His immediate family is kinda...well, we're not that attached to them, BUT:

My wife's grandfather died in February of last year.
My wife's grandfather had a trust (because his late wife was a shrewd businesswoman and because he wasn't that great with money).
It took a long time for all the legal will stuff to get settled, but it was finally settled and done in March of this year, and he received a not insignificant payout. This was good news, because he has a farm, a family, and horses that all need care 'n' feeding and stuff.
Four months after he finally receives his payout, he has a heart attack and dies.

Again, we weren't really that close to him, but... I just find myself hoping he got a lot of whatever it was he'd planned to do but couldn't due to lack of funds done in those four months.

--Patrick

Some how the fact that I'm dealing with the death of a kind-of- close uncle while I'm at a conference surrounded by a lot of people I don't know at all and a few I know but not well enough to talk to about personal issues - doesn't seem that related to your uncle-in-laws' unfortunate demise. Granted I'm feeling stressed out atm so everything is going through that lens. However, the brofist and quoting my post here is a little insensitive IMO.

Sorry for your extended family's loss, Pat.

Yes the read only template file on the shared drive is up to date. No I did not update the copy you saved to your C: drive six months ago.

Yes the read only template file on the shared drive is up to date. No I did not update the copy you saved to your C: drive six months ago.
I swear to god one of these days I am gonna put on my billable sheet "Spent 1 hr explaining MS Excel to retirement age employees."

Could be worse -- you could have had to spend that time explaining excel to your boss.
I'm lucky, I just have to explain basic physics to him. Though I did have to explain both physics and Excel at the same time the other week.....

Last edited:
I swear to god one of these days I am gonna put on my billable sheet "Spent 1 hr explaining MS Excel to retirement age employees."
I dunno, my Grandfather used to talk about helping old people across the street. For reference, my Grandfather was in his mid-80s at the time, helping people (on average) 10 years younger than him.

The point is, they don't need to be older in order to have this problem.

My roommate isn't super technologically inclined, but when he needs my help with stuff I can trust that

A) he read labels and buttons to make sure that the program doesn't explicitly say what to so

2) he's done a cursory google

Old people don't do either.

I dunno, my Grandfather used to talk about helping old people across the street. For reference, my Grandfather was in his mid-80s at the time, helping people (on average) 10 years younger than him.

The point is, they don't need to be older in order to have this problem.
Quite correct, but in my example I am "not legally" identifying the doofus. Sort of like saying Lisa S. instead of L. Simpson.

I’m having a few weird skin reactions to my meds. Two at once. Super fun, am I right?

So, I go to google one at Shoppers. Holy shit!!! The sheer volume of revolting pictures that come up. I nearly puked. I didn’t even google the one with a gross name. Wtf Google...wtf.

I couldn’t look any longer and had to consult with the pharmacist.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

It's hard to have sympathy for a coworker and their special needs child, when not only are they constantly bringing the kid to work, but frequently uses them as an excuse for bailing on work early, or for the work either done incorrectly or not at all. Leaving me to both pick up the pieces and to stammer to the mgr my best guess as to why it was screwed up in the first place.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

cant sleep...sleep aids I have wont allow me to wake up in time for work. the kind I want I cant have "BECAUSE YOU MIGHT ABUSE THEM". im 32 years old, I have a job, ive never had substance abuse issues, but nope im looking for a quick high from some sort of occasional prescription sleep aid. the secret is the sleep aid I want is a low grade psychoactive sedative which while non-barbiturate in nature has long standing abuse issue in society
WHY
BECAUSE THE REASON I SLEEP LIKE SHIT IS BECAUSE IM STRESSED TO THE MAX
MY MOM COMPLAINS HER CAR HAS ISSUES, MAKE AN APPOINTMENT AND HAVE IT LOOKED AT! NOPE IM TAKING YOUR CAR AND YOU CAN DEAL WITH THIS PIECE OF SHIT. GEE MOM YOU EVER THINK ITS BECAUSE YOU DONT DEAL WITH ANYTHING THATS WRONG AND INSTEAD JUST COMPLAIN UNTIL IM FORCED TO DEAL WITH YOUR PROBLEMS ON TOP OF MY OWN
HERE IS A THOUGHT
EVERYTHING IS WORSE BECAUSE YOU DO NOTHING UNTIL THE PROBLEM IS SO BAD ITS THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS TO FIX
SHE ALSO REFUSES TO LOOK FOR A NEW CAR FOR HERSELF AND INSTEAD COMPLAINS ABOUT HER CURRENT ONE SUCKING
SO WHAT THIS ALL MEANS IS I NEED TO FIND A NEW CAR AND GIVE HER MINE THAT ISNT A TOTAL PIECE OF SHIT BECAUSE I TAKE CARE OF IT AND FUCKING GET IT SERVICED EVERY 4 MONTHS
AS I DONT HAVE ENOUGH TO DO...

and yes this is a minor rant for me....

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Just so we're clear, you want the union to explain why our employer did not post a job that a completely separate company filled? Given that this other company is under no obligation to share anything with us?

Why is the rum gone?

So, I went to Catskills Irish Arts Week a couple weeks ago. I took classes with Mary Bergin. Even though I've been playing 23 years, I took the "intermediate/beginner" class because I figured that being self-taught, I had maybe missed some fundamentals.

She gave me some new tonguing/rhythms to work on, which is exactly what I was looking for.

But man is it killing me. I haven't had to think about breathing in literally decades. It's throwing my whole game off.

So, I went to Catskills Irish Arts Week a couple weeks ago. I took classes with Mary Bergin. Even though I've been playing 23 years, I took the "intermediate/beginner" class because I figured that being self-taught, I had maybe missed some fundamentals.

She gave me some new tonguing/rhythms to work on, which is exactly what I was looking for.

But man is it killing me. I haven't had to think about breathing in literally decades. It's throwing my whole game off.
It's quite something to meet someone who plays an instrument for a living and is super-skilled at it.

Every school year it’s the same routine:

In June, after school is out for students, I carefully pack up my room. I take some things home, others I carefully box up and put into cabinets/onto shelves. I make a floor plan so maintenance knows where to put furniture when they’re done cleaning the floors (the plan is at their request). I clean off the walls and lock up whatever needs to be secured.

Then, two weeks before school starts, I come back to find that the lazy, incompetent assholes have torn the place apart. Furniture is seemingly out at random spots in the room. The floor plan is in the same spot I left it with dust on top, showing they never looked at it. Trash is strewn about on the floors and cabinets. And, every year, I discover what they have broken (this year it’s the door to my mini-fridge).

I spend more time getting the room back to a usable state than I do lesson planning, all because the stupid twits they pay over the summer can’t be bothered to treat our classrooms with respect. I’d almost rather they didn’t do a single thing.

Finally getting my blower fixed.
No, not the telephone, I mean the thing in my car that blows the air around. Turns out that the model of car I have requires the entire center console and dash be disassembled to get to it, and I don't have enough time to learn how to do that correctly and still get it all done before not being able to defrost my windshield becomes an actual safety issue.
The part itself is about $50-100.
I was expecting paying to have it done would be $350-400.
It's actually going to be... $620.

This is only a "minor" rant because I was also having the transmission serviced, which I was expecting would be ~$300-400 but for this model is only about $80, so the price ends up being about what I expected, but it also means it looks like I'll be putting my computer upgrade plans off another month.

--Patrick

Finally getting my blower fixed.
No, not the telephone, I mean the thing in my car that blows the air around. Turns out that the model of car I have requires the entire center console and dash be disassembled to get to it, and I don't have enough time to learn how to do that correctly and still get it all done before not being able to defrost my windshield becomes an actual safety issue.
The part itself is about $50-100.
I was expecting paying to have it done would be $350-400.
It's actually going to be... $620.

This is only a "minor" rant because I was also having the transmission serviced, which I was expecting would be ~$300-400 but for this model is only about $80, so the price ends up being about what I expected, but it also means it looks like I'll be putting my computer upgrade plans off another month.

--Patrick
dude your pain, i feel it, just had it done on my 02 accord, 150 dollar part and 350 dollars in labor.