[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Reactions
24 41 0
FedEx as a company needs to be put out to pasture. They've supposedly* stopped handling all Amazon deliveries, and that's great, but Amazon itself is getting to be such complete and utter crap that I spend more time shopping off Amazon than I do shopping on it, and all of the places that I've replaced it with are using FedEx for their shipping. I'm so sick of every second delivery of mine waiting days in some out of the way truckstop in Sweetbrier, CA or spending three days bouncing around the various sorting facilities in North Salt Lake, UT. I understand that the seller didn't pay for extremely expedited shipping, but that doesn't mean you need to wait the full 14 days when you could have it here sooner!

For example, on the 31st of August I bought two tubes of the same product (Nutri-Cal supplement for cats) from Chewy.com. One tube shipped from TX and the other from NV. The tube that shipped from NV made it here the day after it shipped. The tube that shipped from TX isn't due for another week, and is currently sitting in its third sorting facility, this time somewhere on I-84 in NE Oregon. The seller has no way of knowing that FedEx is going to completely fuck up the routing when they sell the product, but more and more often I wind up cancelling orders as soon as I get the FedEx shipping confirmation - which invariably has a receipt date way outside the promised date range, and then the company is upset and there's nothing the reps can do about the shipping choice, it's all a huge fucking mess. Honestly, if I could, I'd rather have ODFL handle my freight deliveries - at least then I'd know to expect them a month late and broken.

*My most recent Amazon order was also broken into two parts, and the part coming USPS is due to be here today, while the part coming FedEx is due sometime between 9-12 and 9-23 - except that, when I made the purchase, it was Prime Eligible, in stock, and due to be delivered today as well. If I didn't really, really need it, I'd cancel the order and find it somewhere else, like I have the ten or fifteen other orders this has happened with in the past year.

Reactions
816 327 13
FedEx as a company needs to be put out to pasture. They've supposedly* stopped handling all Amazon deliveries, and that's great, but Amazon itself is getting to be such complete and utter crap that I spend more time shopping off Amazon than I do shopping on it, and all of the places that I've replaced it with are using FedEx for their shipping. I'm so sick of every second delivery of mine waiting days in some out of the way truckstop in Sweetbrier, CA or spending three days bouncing around the various sorting facilities in North Salt Lake, UT. I understand that the seller didn't pay for extremely expedited shipping, but that doesn't mean you need to wait the full 14 days when you could have it here sooner!

For example, on the 31st of August I bought two tubes of the same product (Nutri-Cal supplement for cats) from Chewy.com. One tube shipped from TX and the other from NV. The tube that shipped from NV made it here the day after it shipped. The tube that shipped from TX isn't due for another week, and is currently sitting in its third sorting facility, this time somewhere on I-84 in NE Oregon. The seller has no way of knowing that FedEx is going to completely fuck up the routing when they sell the product, but more and more often I wind up cancelling orders as soon as I get the FedEx shipping confirmation - which invariably has a receipt date way outside the promised date range, and then the company is upset and there's nothing the reps can do about the shipping choice, it's all a huge fucking mess. Honestly, if I could, I'd rather have ODFL handle my freight deliveries - at least then I'd know to expect them a month late and broken.

*My most recent Amazon order was also broken into two parts, and the part coming USPS is due to be here today, while the part coming FedEx is due sometime between 9-12 and 9-23 - except that, when I made the purchase, it was Prime Eligible, in stock, and due to be delivered today as well. If I didn't really, really need it, I'd cancel the order and find it somewhere else, like I have the ten or fifteen other orders this has happened with in the past year.
As a FedEx employee, I cannot legally answer to any of that, except to assure you all effort is always made to make sure our customers and all addressees are served in the best, fastest, friendliest way possible. I am sad to hear your stories of woe, and can only assure you that Customer Service will be happy to elp you with any complaint you may have.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

I AM A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PERSON AND NOT AT ALL THAT HANDSOME LOOKING DEVIL ABOVE.

FedEx routing is absolutely horrendous, and the customer service is next-to-non-existant. I'm currently still working for TNT, which was bought up by FedEx a few years ago. As we go through the merger process, it's really quite horrible how many different ways I've been told to tell customers to Fuck Off.
TNT had the opposite problem - pretty much any customer worth over $50/month could have their own custom set-up especially for them, which probably ended up costing us more than $50/month to maintain, which isn't a winning business model. And is a pain to maintain, as coders and support staff leave with their knowledge. The FedEx side is much easier...All customers get the same system. Too complicated and bloated for you? Fuck off and use DHL. Not enough options and automation systems? Fuck off and use DHL. Your set-up requires things to be added in another order? Fuck off and use DHL.

Anyway, I assure you, FedEx has gotten rid of Amazon, and we're very, very happy for that. What they demand is insane, and what they pay for it is BS. Non-customer prices are, say, $50. Regular customers might pay $10 for the same shipment. Really big customers, $2. Amazon? $0.20. This is not an exaggeration.

FedEx mentally is People-Service-Profit. They claim these are the three pillars...But I assure you, People only need to Serve to make more Profit.

Reactions
24 41 0
Honestly, it's at the point where I'm going to have to stop using several large online merchants, just because I can't trust that I'll get my package 1) on time, 2) intact, or 3) ever. Luckily, most of the small business online merchants I use have already been told to fuck off and use DHL, but instead opted for USPS (which is good, because I'm pretty sure Drop It, Hide It, Lose It wouldn't be any better than FedEx). And actually, the customer service at my local level is pretty good - we managed to get a manager to re-attempt delivery on Christmas Eve back in 2017 all because the driver knocked at the bottom door that was clearly marked as non-functional and failed to go up the clearly marked (and clear of snow and ice) stairs for a signature.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

My internet apparently went out sometime around midnight last night. My wife - the tech genius she is - knows that whenever that happens the first thing I do is unplug the router & modem an then plug them back in. She called me at work & told me that she'd done that but nothing. So I get on the phone with the cable company and for almost an hour talk to them. Is there an outage in my area? Yes, we've cycled the modem. Can you ping the router, etc. The cable guys asks what color the internet light is on the modem. I ask the wife that and also whether or not it's blinking. She sends me a picture.

She didn't unplug the power to the router & modem. Well, she DID, but she also unplugged the inputs and lines out. And, of course, didn't know where to plug them back in.

I apologized to the cable guy and will be showing her how to power down a modem & router when I get home. Tech rule of thumb: Don't unplug shit if you don't know what it is!

Reactions
477 157 1
I am so fucking tired of every other teacher at this school thinking they are the center of the universe. Maybe once, just once, you lazy fucks could actually be helpful or listen to your colleagues. Stop throwing tantrums every time you don't get your way, especially on the insignificant bullshit.

Someone bit little Beldin - probably his litter mate - and he had to go to the vet's today and have his little back stump drained, debrided, and sutured back up. Now he has to stay in his sherpa bag for the rest of the night, and we have to try to figure out a way to keep Garath from chewing on Beldin's stitches tomorrow through two weeks from today. And, of course, there's the little unexpected $360 vet bill. Stop biting each other, damnit!