[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

There are few things more annoying than signing up for a professional development workshop that advertises advanced strategies/techniques, only to have the instructors give entry-level, basic info that we've all been taught already. Thanks for wasting an hour of my life, jackasses.

I can only conclude that so many people must be neglecting the basics in their eyes that they felt remedial training was in order.

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
My entire morning has been spent trying to figure out why 2.5 hours of programming just up and disappeared on sunday. All our sunday morning programming on our spanish station, including a new client who was starting for the first time just straight up didn't air.

It took a lot of digging around in the guts of the system, but I figured out it... the SATURDAY jock went in and deleted all the sunday morning programming, and didn't tell anybody. And the sunday jock didn't think it odd enough to call anybody about, or attempt to fix.

Nobody around here knows what the fuck they're doing, and they're all too afraid to ask. Fucking hell.

IT took my license to some software that I use all the time because I didn’t use it while I was on sick leave.

How rude! The good news is that it will be returned to me today.

Grrr

You seem confused, can we call some one to help you? Why don't you sit here, enjoy this tea and cookies and Nurse Doomweasel will be by shortly.

Last edited:
Have you had heart problems before? Do you have a history of acid reflux?

I keep Tums, aspirin, and nitro pills close at hand because I have both.
I have an extra beat and typically have small pains from stress. This is just different enough to annoy me, because I don't want to waste another afternoon and hundreds of dollars on the ER for nothing, but I also don't want to die.

Dave

Staff member
My lab work came back. Pre-diabetes. So I guess I get to go back on my diet.

Funny thing, though. The nurse said, "You are pre-diabetic." My immediate response was, "Isn't that pretty much everyone who is not diabetic?"

Today is one of those days where I have to get up at 4:15a and won't get the chance to even think about going to bed until 10p. Bleah.

--Patrick

The understaffed/overworked thing has been pushed so hard, with more work coming, for long enough since the shutdown end that I just couldn't stand it today. It wasn't a deadline day; that was yesterday. Still, everything just seemed to be happening at once. I didn't leave or anything, but I bent over in my seat holding myself, breathing shallow, feeling utterly overwhelmed. I've worked at this place for 11 years and never had a moment like that, but today the last few weeks' stress felt like a physical presence sitting on my back. For a few minutes I just couldn't do anything.

The understaffed/overworked thing has been pushed so hard, with more work coming, for long enough since the shutdown end that I just couldn't stand it today. It wasn't a deadline day; that was yesterday. Still, everything just seemed to be happening at once. I didn't leave or anything, but I bent over in my seat holding myself, breathing shallow, feeling utterly overwhelmed. I've worked at this place for 11 years and never had a moment like that, but today the last few weeks' stress felt like a physical presence sitting on my back. For a few minutes I just couldn't do anything.
You've mentioned before feeling more stressed and anxious of late. Have you talked to your doctor yet about it?

You've mentioned before feeling more stressed and anxious of late. Have you talked to your doctor yet about it?
I haven't because I know it's due to work. I've been talking a little to my therapist about it, but generally I just don't want to think or talk about work if I'm not there.

Hailey, I was in that position over a year ago. I have two words for you:

Get. Out.

Figure on some exit plan that will work for you, and execute it. If it's money, find another income source. If it's location or something, find something to replace or supplement it.

But above all else: get out. It's the only way you will ever get over that feeling of panic, stress, not wanting to talk about it.

My US$0.02, take it for what you will.

When work starts causing stress attacks/anxiety attacks, you really do have to do something. I've been there, too, and it isn't always easy, but you do have to talk about it and think about, sadly. It won't go away on its own - chances are even if work does slow down again, the stress will stay.
Talk it over with a therapist or counselor or doctor - you will have to work out for yourself how much of it is due to changed circumstances, or changes in yourself, or specific people at work,... Identify the problem, then work out how to solve it or avoid it.

God I hate how hard I have to work because of the cheapskates who ALWAYS forget to tip on delivery apps. I waited a fucking hour for pizza you didn't even bother to call ahead and prepare, AND THEN delivered said fucking pizza across a fucking BRIDGE-tip me you dicks!

Welp, guess it's time to go to bed.
Ooo, almost an hour earlier this time.

I absolutely can not wait until this project (which I feel obligated to finish because family) is finally done and afterwards when I waste time it'll be time I'm wasting on ME again.
Just two more weeks or a little over and I'll be done, at least until September at the earliest.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Hey did you guys know that your HSA - the Health Savings Account that is pre-tax and supposed to really help you in bad times - is taxable at 20% if you use any of it? We had $1,400 last year used for medical stuff. That 20% gets added to your income. It was the difference between a small refund and owing. Wouldn't have mattered, though. I didn't qualify for any of the government's free filing programs and TurboTax fees were in the HUNDREDS.

Hey did you guys know that your HSA - the Health Savings Account that is pre-tax and supposed to really help you in bad times - is taxable at 20% if you use any of it? We had $1,400 last year used for medical stuff. That 20% gets added to your income. It was the difference between a small refund and owing. Wouldn't have mattered, though. I didn't qualify for any of the government's free filing programs and TurboTax fees were in the HUNDREDS.
That...doesn't sound right. What's the point then?

Edit: according to this, the 20% penalty is only if you don't use it for medical expenses. It sounds like you made a mistake with filing.

(Also to beat a dead horse, you can take out money without penalty if you're older than 65 so you should be fine)

Dave

Staff member
Edit: according to this, the 20% penalty is only if you don't use it for medical expenses. It sounds like you made a mistake with filing.
Huh. Luckily, this was from one of the government's "free" filing programs that I ended up not using so in the end I did file correctly. But Turbotax fees ate up all my refund so meh.

That...doesn't sound right. What's the point then?

(Also to beat a dead horse, you can take out money without penalty if you're older than 65 so you should be fine)
Yeah, I was going to say, we used 4k for my PRK and did not get taxed on it later.