[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Because literally everyone has their own music player in their pocket at all times, mostly, and it can play them whatever they want from wherever they want, instantly, with more control and interactivity.

Ironically, most of these devices also come with FM receiver chips, but the US carriers disable them because they want you to stream your audio so as to get you to buy more bandwidth.
One of the things I miss most about my old $20 burner Tracfone was that it's radio functionality wasn't disabled. Great during my volunteer work at the time; could just listen to NPR/WOSU all day.

Because literally everyone has their own music player in their pocket at all times, mostly, and it can play them whatever they want from wherever they want, instantly, with more control and interactivity.

Ironically, most of these devices also come with FM receiver chips, but the US carriers disable them because they want you to stream your audio so as to get you to buy more bandwidth.
That's sad because I would totally tune into local radio occasionally while I work to see what people are listening to, but now I'm 100% streaming because the only radio I have is in my car, and I do podcasts when I drive.

GasBandit

Staff member
That's sad because I would totally tune into local radio occasionally while I work to see what people are listening to, but now I'm 100% streaming because the only radio I have is in my car, and I do podcasts when I drive.
Well, if you have an iphone or bought your android phone from verizon, you're probably SOL. However, some of the other android carriers have slowly come around. Here's a list of handsets which have activated FM chips.

https://nextradioapp.com/supported-devices/

Dave

Staff member
See, I like having actual radio personalities. It's not as much the music. Plus, terrestrial radio is local. It's like the whole CNN/Fox/MSNBC thing. Yeah, you get news, but nothing local.

GasBandit

Staff member
See, I like having actual radio personalities. It's not as much the music. Plus, terrestrial radio is local. It's like the whole CNN/Fox/MSNBC thing. Yeah, you get news, but nothing local.
Not to invoke the age trope, but I think that's a generational thing. The older someone is, the more likely they are to still like terrestrial radio.

The millenials are more likely to prefer their own curation/podcasts/internet radio, and the Gen Zs even moreso.

Dave

Staff member
I guess they would rather know what's going on worldwide than locally. I agree it's an age thing. It probably helps that I don't have a AUX link in any of my cars.

I'll never understand why terrestrial radio is a dying medium.
Limited range and the fact that it is not “on demand” content.
Plus there’s the fact that you’re legally allowed to record songs off an FM broadcast, but just try that with any streaming service and see what happens.

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I guess they would rather know what's going on worldwide than locally. I agree it's an age thing. It probably helps that I don't have a AUX link in any of my cars.
The car I had before this one didn't, either, and I got one of those cassette-to-headphone-jack converters so I could play music from my phone instead of listen to terrestrial radio.

Because another reason people don't want to listen is 90% of stations are the same 40 songs over and over, interspersed with 4 minutes of commercials out of every 15 minutes of every hour.

No commercials in my mp3s.

And they get their news via website anyway, most don't listen to current events in audio format, local OR global.

I stream music because I'm sick of the men's clinic commercials talking about ED, increasing your size, and better performance in the bedroom while I'm driving with my kids in the car. It feels like every few minutes they play these ads.

When I used to listen to WZZO 95.1 FM Allentown while I was working in an unlit, unheated warehouse back in the early 2000s, I could count on hearing the same 20 current/newish songs each day among a mix of classic rock. You're not kidding about the rotation. And that was before they got taken over by Clear Channel.

Also, gonna pour one out for the recent and untimely passing of one of ZZO's morning crew, the Kevin "the Bearman" Schutts of "Keith and the Bearman." He was 64 years old.

There was a month straight where every time my daughter and I got in the car together, Sober Up by AJR would be the song that was playing. EVERY DAMN TIME.

Shortly after 9/11, a local station played some audio of the chaos from the street that day as part of an advertisement/reminder of their coverage from months before. I was disgusted enough to turn it off and haven't wanted to listen to radio after that.

My parents have the kids today which is awesome. We set up a pick up time this morning based on my doctor’s appointment. They showed up waaaaay earlier and started impatiently texting me that they were here waiting for us. What am I meant to do with that? They were there well before I would have ever left the house. The texts and subsequent call while I’m driving don’t help. They only stress me out. I did make sure to remind them of the agreed upon meeting time.

On top of that, I’m hurt and off work. It was really hard to get the kids out the door and I ended up being late to my appointment. My mother expected a chit chat and for me to go on an activity day after my appointment. Normally, I’d be all over that, but my knee is in a huge brace!! I’m not up for that!! And I’m running late for my appointment!!

GasBandit

Staff member
2 days ago I assign commercial production to someone (spanish station PD), scheduled to go on the air today. This morning I find that assignment back in my box with the PD's name crossed out and one of my underling's names written (in the PD's handwriting) in the "assigned to" field. That underling is not even in the office today. So a paying client's spots are going to miss while I get this sorted out.

So this is what I get to do today, excoriate a lazy ass PD about passing the buck when she doesn't want to do her fucking job. "But my voice is on everything, I want someone else's voice on this" she's 100% guaranteed to use as her excuse.

THE TIME TO BRING THAT UP WAS YESTERDAY. IT'S TOO LATE NOW, FUCKING DO YOUR JOB. YOU DON'T PICK WHO DOES WHAT COMMERCIAL, I DO. I DON'T PICK YOUR STATION'S MUSIC, YOU DON'T PICK MY COMMERCIALS' TALENT.

Tell you what. One of my projects this spring is going to be to set my audio equipment back up again and get it going.
I'll let you know once it's all set up, and then once you get things like this, you send it over to me...and then I'LL forward it back to you unfinished for a nice change of pace.

--Patrick

Tell you what. One of my projects this spring is going to be to set my audio equipment back up again and get it going.
I'll let you know once it's all set up, and then once you get things like this, you send it over to me...and then I'LL forward it back to you unfinished for a nice change of pace.

--Patrick
I can see Gas's blood pressure rising from all the way over here.

Me: "Yay managed to get on my way to work almost 15min earlier than usual. Maybe there will even be time for a quick lunch!"
Me, half a mile into my drive: "Uh-oh, where's my phone?"
Me, 13min later right back at that 1/2mi mark: "Grr..."
My stomach: GRRRRRR
Me: "Yeah, yeah. Shut up."

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
More job ranting.

Monday:
Owner sends an email to HR lady: "Have (Gas) produce and air this EEO notification for 2 weeks on all stations."
HR lady forwards the e-mail to me.
I send e-mail back to both: "This is not enough information. I need to know how many spots per day, in what daypart, and what specific two weeks?"

FOUR DAYS PASS...

Me: Hrmm, I better follow up on that e-mail in case Owner forgot about it.
I send another email: "Just touching base on this, I still need to know that info."
Owner's indignant reply email: "Let's get this on air now! I sent it on MONDAY. Make it happen!"

Bitch, the only hold up was YOU.

More job ranting.

Monday:
Owner sends an email to HR lady: "Have (Gas) produce and air this EEO notification for 2 weeks on all stations."
I send e-mail back to both: "This is not enough information. I need to know how many spots per day, in what daypart, and what specific two weeks?"

FOUR DAYS PASS...

I send another email: "Just touching base on this, I still need to know that info."
Owner's indignant reply email: "Let's get this on air now! I sent it on MONDAY. Make it happen!"

"As per my previous email, you did not provide necessary information, you basic bitch. You can suck both my dicks."

More job ranting.

Monday:

FOUR DAYS PASS...

Just have it run 24/7 for 2 weeks. :devil:

GasBandit

Staff member
Boy, I'm sure using up my "work rant" chits quick this week. It's not even the end of the month yet!

Anyway... one of our least mentally agile salespeople turns in a "new advertiser account creation" sheet today for a new client.

Under the "Conflict Code" field, he puts "Business."

Really, Louis?

Really?

This client cannot run in the same commercial break with any other business?

I got news for you, schlemiel... all our clients are businesses.

(normally you're supposed to say what KIND of business here, so that we don't run grocery stores beside grocery stores, or car dealerships back to back with other car dealerships, etc)

on the topic of radio, the only thing i listen to is the KQRS morning show with Tom Bernard(AND NOW ITS NO SECRET WHERE I LIVE TROLOLOL) when they fire him or he retires I wont listen to radio anymore.

Boy, I'm sure using up my "work rant" chits quick this week. It's not even the end of the month yet!

Anyway... one of our least mentally agile salespeople turns in a "new advertiser account creation" sheet today for a new client.

Under the "Conflict Code" field, he puts "Business."

Really, Louis?

Really?

This client cannot run in the same commercial break with any other business?

I got news for you, schlemiel... all our clients are businesses.

(normally you're supposed to say what KIND of business here, so that we don't run grocery stores beside grocery stores, or car dealerships back to back with other car dealerships, etc)
Tell him to wait until election season.