[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

So earlier I was like, "You know, I'm scared I'm going to die alone, but at the same time, I don't think I'm worth having anyone in my life. So yay."

I'm stuck between a rock and another rock at work.

I have an editor in my team who's a bit of a perfectionist. As a result she often takes a lot of time completing her editing cases, so she misses the deadlines on a fairly frequent basis. As I've mentioned before, the deadlines we're set can be a bit unreasonable at times, and our company higher-ups end up demanding miracles out of us. Of course, this isn't necessarily the company higher-ups' fault either, because the clients want their translations done as soon as possible too, so if the client gives us a really rushed deadline then we need to rush everything as well. We editors are among the highest paid employees in the company, because we're expected to be awesome, so when miracles need to be pulled off, we're the ones that need to get it done.

Well, it's all coming to a head, because our supervisor isn't happy with the editor's many late cases, and the editor's not happy about being asked to pull off miracles all the time. I, as the most senior editor and ostensibly the leader of the team, have to listen to the complaints of both sides. On one side there's, "She's working too slow and it's affecting the other steps of the translation process that come afterwards!" On the other side there's "She's setting unreasonable deadlines, I think she's setting me up to fail!" And then I have to try to mollify both sides. "She's doing the best she can, and if we don't deliver good quality then the client's going to get pissed off anyway." "She's not setting you up to fail, we need to work quickly and meet deadlines because that's what the client has demanded. She's under a lot of stress too."

I have a feeling this is going to end with the editor and the supervisor both quitting before long.

I'm stuck between a rock and another rock at work.

I have an editor in my team who's a bit of a perfectionist. As a result she often takes a lot of time completing her editing cases, so she misses the deadlines on a fairly frequent basis. As I've mentioned before, the deadlines we're set can be a bit unreasonable at times, and our company higher-ups end up demanding miracles out of us. Of course, this isn't necessarily the company higher-ups' fault either, because the clients want their translations done as soon as possible too, so if the client gives us a really rushed deadline then we need to rush everything as well. We editors are among the highest paid employees in the company, because we're expected to be awesome, so when miracles need to be pulled off, we're the ones that need to get it done.

Well, it's all coming to a head, because our supervisor isn't happy with the editor's many late cases, and the editor's not happy about being asked to pull off miracles all the time. I, as the most senior editor and ostensibly the leader of the team, have to listen to the complaints of both sides. On one side there's, "She's working too slow and it's affecting the other steps of the translation process that come afterwards!" On the other side there's "She's setting unreasonable deadlines, I think she's setting me up to fail!" And then I have to try to mollify both sides. "She's doing the best she can, and if we don't deliver good quality then the client's going to get pissed off anyway." "She's not setting you up to fail, we need to work quickly and meet deadlines because that's what the client has demanded. She's under a lot of stress too."

I have a feeling this is going to end with the editor and the supervisor both quitting before long.
The only "good" part here from what I can tell is that you don't seem to be blamed by either for this, they are directing it at each other, bypassing you. It could easily fall ON you, so if that's not happening, that at least is good.

And this is somewhat horrible to say, are you in line for a promotion if your supervisor quits? ;)

The only "good" part here from what I can tell is that you don't seem to be blamed by either for this, they are directing it at each other, bypassing you. It could easily fall ON you, so if that's not happening, that at least is good.

And this is somewhat horrible to say, are you in line for a promotion if your supervisor quits? ;)
Heh, that's true, at least we have a clear division of responsibility between my supervisor and me, in that she's the one responsible for assigning cases, so it's clear that the issue isn't with me.

And I don't want her job if she leaves. Her job is about 100 times harder than my current one, and I'm already stressed and grumpy enough.

When you come home from a holiday, and the person who's supposed to come pick you up with your on car; calls you and says "hey, uhhh...Your car isn't where you said it would be".
Uh-oh.
Few calls later, turns out the police towed it, signs were put up after we left that they wanted to put a container right where we parked.
Uh-oh, where did they haul it off to?
Another few calls later, turns out we won't have to pay anything, and it's fairly close. Few.
Uh-oh, where did those brand-new big gashes and dents in our car come from?
Oh, ffs...*sigh*

824a4c5d8027663c233b0d196f78e857.jpeg

Everything in the store is some form of electronics except for the bluray you were actually looking for...

I love Indian food. Went to an Indian restaurant today (once I go to often) and it was awesome.

Noticed an Indian grocer next door, and I like to try new things, so I stepped in and got a pack of "Fresh Mint". They were only 5 carbs per serving.

Got back to my office, saw the ingredients listed "rose petal paste" as the #1 ingredient. This did not bode well. The "mints" looked like a little ball of dung about the size of a marble. They smelled of flowers and mint. But I'm adventurous, so I took a bite out of one.

It tasted just like I had eaten minty incense. Which isn't a big deal, because hey, just cause I like to try new things doesn't mean I have to enjoy them every time. The rant? 2 hours later i still have the taste of minty incense in my mouth. :mad:

GasBandit

Staff member
I love Indian food. Went to an Indian restaurant today (once I go to often) and it was awesome.

Noticed an Indian grocer next door, and I like to try new things, so I stepped in and got a pack of "Fresh Mint". They were only 5 carbs per serving.

Got back to my office, saw the ingredients listed "rose petal paste" as the #1 ingredient. This did not bode well. The "mints" looked like a little ball of dung about the size of a marble. They smelled of flowers and mint. But I'm adventurous, so I took a bite out of one.

It tasted just like I had eaten minty incense. Which isn't a big deal, because hey, just cause I like to try new things doesn't mean I have to enjoy them every time. The rant? 2 hours later i still have the taste of minty incense in my mouth. :mad:
That reminds me of, back in the 90s, I got some BreathAsure....

Remember these things? They were like, little gel capsules that were full of herbs and stuff that you swallowed whole, and supposedly it was supposed to make your breath better by making your stomach less... odoriferous? Anyway, it was later debunked as having absolutely no effect on your breath, but that's beside the point.

At the time, I was a teenager and my little brother was (and is) 8 years younger than me... and he found the BreathAsure plastic box container on my desk in my room. He asked me if it was candy. Which is understandable, the box was kinda colorful, it looked like it might have been trying to compete with tic-tacs.

Anyway, I said, "Not exactly, it's a breath mint kinda thing."

"Can I have one?" he asked.

Now, I knew at this moment, I should tell him it was meant to be swallowed whole, not chewed. But I couldn't resist the opportunity.

"Sure!" and I gave him one.

Sure enough, he bit right into it. Watching his face transition from neutral to confused to horrified was an experience I'll not soon forget... and he started shouting "Stinky... STINKY! STINKY STINKY STINKY!" as he ran to the bathroom to wash out his mouth, with the same tone of voice someone on fire would be shouting for water.

I laughed so hard I cried. My brother accused me of misleading him, after he could talk again, but I pointed out that no, it really WAS a breath freshener, and showed him the instructions on the back - showing that you're supposed to swallow it whole, not bite into it.

And of course, I knew what the result was going to be because, naturally, when I first got them, I had to try biting into one just to see what it was like on the inside. Fortunately, I was girded against the possible bad taste and spat it out immediately because I was outside (and still needed to wash my mouth out), unlike my brother who continued chewing for 8 or 9 times while getting the juice all around his mouth.

Curiousity got the better of me and I googled "rose petal paste" to see if it would come up with the nutritional info for such an ingredient. Instead, this came up first:

Wash rose petals well and grind them to a fine paste. Add about one tablespoon of honey to this, mix well, apply over oily face and wash off after 30 minutes for a radiant glow. Wash and grind rose petals to a fine paste and mix a few drops of lemon juice to it.​
Mmm... minty face-scrub.

You need an emulsifier. Like alcohol.
Apparently my father keeps a bottle of Cuervo in his liquor cabinet just for spicier-than-expected foods. I discovered this back when I spent a summer living with them and several of the chili plants I grew came in at "chili de arbol" heat levels instead of the "mild green chilis from Ortega" heat that we were expecting.

Today I made my daughter cry during lunch because she texted me to ask if I could bring her money for the school dance right after school because she forgot it, and I told her to ask at the office if I could bring it at the end of the dance. It wasn't a huge deal. If they said no, I would have brought it to her, but instead she spent her entire lunch period arguing with me about why she shouldn't have to do it if I'm free to bring it anyways. So basically she started crying in the cafeteria until someone asked her what was wrong and said they can probably give her the money, so now I probably look like an asshole. :p

Dave

Staff member
Fuck concert promoters and venues. This includes that fucking scam ticketmaster. Avenged Sevenfold, Breaking Banjamin, and Bullet For My Valentine are going to be in concert in February. Tickets went on sale at 10 am this morning. I was ONLINE during that time and WHAT A FUCKING SURPRISE they are all sold out. Oh, but all the ticket resellers have tickets out the ass. So that $46 general admission floor ticket I can get for $70-90 if I want, not counting fees and shit.

What fucking bullshit. Not going to pay that extortion bullshit.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah! Fuck that and the whole ticket cartel/scalping system, it's bullshit.

I paid $300 to reserve Roger Waters tickets earlier this year (NOT from a scalper), another $300 to fly to Denver to see it, and my share of the condo we rented came to a similar amount...

Dave

Staff member
Yeah! Fuck that and the whole ticket cartel/scalping system, it's bullshit.

I paid $300 to reserve Roger Waters tickets earlier this year (NOT from a scalper), another $300 to fly to Denver to see it, and my share of the condo we rented came to a similar amount...
But that's not general admission, either. The GA (standing room/mosh pit) tickets were supposed to be $46 and they are going for double that not even a minute after they "went on sale".

Moved from Whine thread.

Oh my god I hate new doctors. Though, to be fair, this one isn't new. She also isn't a doctor, but usually an FPN or ARNP or LPN does a better job than a doctor, for regular office visits at least. Not this one though.. dear gods. One look at my wife's vitals - You need to lose at least 50 pounds. I want you to lose 10 pounds a month. You need to see a dietician. You need to keep a weight loss journal. You need to keep a food journal. You need to lose weight. You're a felon for smoking marijuana - you need to quit, it's illegal, I don't care what the state says, this is illegal behavior and you need to stop. Buy a scale, weigh yourself every day. You're too fat. Lose weight.

Let's just skip over the whole "asking questions" part of the care establishment process. If she'd bothered to ask, she might have found that:

1. My wife has lost 35 pounds so far in her weightloss journey, but understands that she's not done yet.
  2. We've seen several dieticians and nutritionists, and are currently eating a modified version of the Americans with Diabetes Association's recommended diet (3 to 4 oz of protein per meal, 25-40g of multi-grain or otherwise high-fiber carbs, the rest is high-fiber, low sugar veggies). But no... she's overweight, she must eat like a slob.

Then she gets to me.

You have anxiety? Why?! Why do you have anxiety!? Have you ever tried figuring it out? What's going on? You're a smoker? You smoke weed too? You have to stop, that's a felony - the state may say it's OK, but that's a federal felony, and you need to stop. You have exceptionally acute pain in your elbow under very specific conditions? It's your neck, you should see a chiropractor, all of your problems would go away if you saw a chiropractor.

Amazingly enough, all of the anti-pot stuff went away when I said "Yeah, I use a couple of very high CBD strains to manage anxiety." Isn't it funny how it's a horrible sin one minute and an acceptable medication the next?

I mean, who the fuck does this? Why attack two new patients who have come to see you? Are you trying to drive business away? She must be, because the chances of me going back to her are pretty much nil. Oh, and then at the end, she very conveniently forgot to refill my fucking Anxiety meds.

Wow, that's terrible! I hope you write a letter to the director of the medical center and point out that she obviously failed to read the charts before making recommendations, didn't figure out what progress had been made since last visit, made several suggestions that cause you to question her medical expertise, and failed to meet your needs for this visit.

The only way they're going to change is if they understand where their caregivers are going wrong, and chances are good you're not the only ones she has, is, and will be treating badly and making mistakes on.

Moved from Whine thread.

Oh my god I hate new doctors. Though, to be fair, this one isn't new. She also isn't a doctor, but usually an FPN or ARNP or LPN does a better job than a doctor, for regular office visits at least. Not this one though.. dear gods. One look at my wife's vitals - You need to lose at least 50 pounds. I want you to lose 10 pounds a month. You need to see a dietician. You need to keep a weight loss journal. You need to keep a food journal. You need to lose weight. You're a felon for smoking marijuana - you need to quit, it's illegal, I don't care what the state says, this is illegal behavior and you need to stop. Buy a scale, weigh yourself every day. You're too fat. Lose weight.

Let's just skip over the whole "asking questions" part of the care establishment process. If she'd bothered to ask, she might have found that:

1. My wife has lost 35 pounds so far in her weightloss journey, but understands that she's not done yet.
  2. We've seen several dieticians and nutritionists, and are currently eating a modified version of the Americans with Diabetes Association's recommended diet (3 to 4 oz of protein per meal, 25-40g of multi-grain or otherwise high-fiber carbs, the rest is high-fiber, low sugar veggies). But no... she's overweight, she must eat like a slob.

Then she gets to me.

You have anxiety? Why?! Why do you have anxiety!? Have you ever tried figuring it out? What's going on? You're a smoker? You smoke weed too? You have to stop, that's a felony - the state may say it's OK, but that's a federal felony, and you need to stop. You have exceptionally acute pain in your elbow under very specific conditions? It's your neck, you should see a chiropractor, all of your problems would go away if you saw a chiropractor.

Amazingly enough, all of the anti-pot stuff went away when I said "Yeah, I use a couple of very high CBD strains to manage anxiety." Isn't it funny how it's a horrible sin one minute and an acceptable medication the next?

I mean, who the fuck does this? Why attack two new patients who have come to see you? Are you trying to drive business away? She must be, because the chances of me going back to her are pretty much nil. Oh, and then at the end, she very conveniently forgot to refill my fucking Anxiety meds.
She sounds like a quack with an inflated opinion of her ability.

Wow, that's terrible! I hope you write a letter to the director of the medical center and point out that she obviously failed to read the charts before making recommendations, didn't figure out what progress had been made since last visit, made several suggestions that cause you to question her medical expertise, and failed to meet your needs for this visit.

The only way they're going to change is if they understand where their caregivers are going wrong, and chances are good you're not the only ones she has, is, and will be treating badly and making mistakes on.
I hadn't even thought of that. Thanks for bringing that up. I will definitely send the director of the medical center a letter. Politely worded, entirely factual, as emotionally detached as possible, detailed to a tee. It's actually more than a little concerning to me since she seems to have an extremely low opinion of the town where she works, and of the people who live here. Of all of the people who've interacted with us, when we tell them we just moved here, she's the only one who hasn't seemed happy. In fact, she specifically said, "Eww, why?!," and then looked at us like we had three heads until I mentioned how much quieter it is here, what with us no longer living under the approach route to McChord AFB, or within 10 miles of an artillery range at Fort Lewis, or within a mile of 3 separate (open air) rifle ranges, or so close to the approach route to SeaTac, or under the landing pattern of a small municipal airport, or within a mile of a 5-lane highway (they don't even have one of those in town). She was fairly derisive of the community as well - rolling her eyes when my wife said we moved here to find a smaller community that we could be a part of and snorting when we said we liked small towns.[DOUBLEPOST=1507323766,1507323564][/DOUBLEPOST]
Or maybe she's new and still all gung-ho.

--Patrick
She could be. People change careers all the time, at all different ages. I shouldn't have taken her apparent age (especially since I'm so bad at judging people's ages by sight) as an indication of how long she's been practicing. Although, I would expect a newly minted nurse to be more up to date on diabetic diets. She looked at me like I'd turned purple when I said I couldn't have Gatorade and should avoid bananas, and therefore, was taking a potassium supplement.

I was treated like a criminal at the government run pain clinic that I waited ages to get into because I was on two types of pain killers. I was interrogated, had to take a pee test and threatened that the cops would be called if the results contained illegal substances (which they didn't and I tried to tell them this during my multi level interrogation).

People with chronic illnesses are treated like dirt and I'm so sorry you guys had to go through that today.

I hate having to train new doctors. I keep my crappy ones because at least they're trained.

I was treated like a criminal at the government run pain clinic that I waited ages to get into because I was on two types of pain killers. I was interrogated, had to take a pee test and threatened that the cops would be called if the results contained illegal substances (which they didn't and I tried to tell them this during my multi level interrogation).

People with chronic illnesses are treated like dirt and I'm so sorry you guys had to go through that today.

I hate having to train new doctors. I keep my crappy ones because at least they're trained.
The problem is, as with so many issues involving stupid legalities, that the actual criminals and seekers have ruined it for folks such as yourself with LEGITIMATE medical issues that need addressed. I've been duped on numerous occasions (much less so, any more, but it does still happen when I don't know the seeker) by some VERY convincing chronic pain acts... to the point that, if I didn't know you, I might be more than a little skeptical of you if I heard your story for the first time.

*small sigh* I'm sorry...

Dave

Staff member
So this is either going to stay a minor rant, or it's going to be moved. Who knows?

Lady was in the left hand turn lane tonight but instead of turning, she went straight...hitting my wife nearly head on. My wife is fine, the van...maybe not so much. The lady at fault was drunk and taken away in handcuffs. Another lady was also hit, but the damage to her car wasn't as bad. So now we're fighting with insurance. Rental car? Naw. Progressive can't do it yet because they have to speak with the at-fault driver. Geico? Naw. The Progressive driver was at fault so their insurance should pay.

Now we get to figure out how to get Kerri to & from work. I have to go drop off my giant jug of pee so I can take her to work, but I have a gig tomorrow night and will be leaving town before she gets off work. Oh, and I have a gig this Sunday and will need the van to load up my gear.

Hooray.

Now we get to figure out how to get Kerri to & from work. I have to go drop off my giant jug of pee so I can take her to work, but I have a gig tomorrow night and will be leaving town before she gets off work. Oh, and I have a gig this Sunday and will need the van to load up my gear.

Hooray.
Just make sure that Kerri doesn't take your giant jug of pee to work as lemonade.