[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Oh, it's everywhere here. Of course, we are in an area where a lot of Pennsylvania Dutch lived, so...
I should find out if my Mom has any of my Great-Grandmother's "traditional" Austrian recipes for that kind of thing. I know there's lots of stories about her Eggnog in the family...

;)

Which is even more odd to me that I've never heard of it since I'm from southern NJ and have plenty of friends/relatives all over PA.
Pennsylvania Dutch country is mainly in South Central/Eastern PA, in an arc from Allentown, Bethlehem, Reading, Kutztown, Lebanon, Lancaster, York, out to Chambersburg.
I live less than 30 miles from Allentown.

As for why I used the past tense: because the term "Pennsylvania Dutch" mainly refers to German-speaking immigrants in the 17th and 18th centuries, and during and after World War II their descendants almost entirely stopped speaking German (except certain sects of the Amish, Anabaptists, etc). So for the most part, there are very few current "Pennsylvania Dutch".

GasBandit

Staff member
Here we go again, it's fall, and I get to have the biannual argument with the owner that we're full. No more room for commercials.

"Well, I just signed this agreement to air 36 more commercials a day 7 days a week for the next year for $4000 a month, so find room."

Ok, first of all, you do realize that works out to less than $4 a commercial, right? And that you FIRE salespeople who sell for less than $10 a commercial? Well, putting that aside for the moment, if we're going to have room for these, we'll need to make our commercial brakes longer."

"No, don't do that."

Then how are we going to fit this in?

"Move stuff around."

There's nowhere to move it. It doesn't matter how much you "move stuff around," you'll never fit 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag.

And I can't expect any help from my boss, the General Manager, because he's super insecure about standing up to the owner, as he thinks it'll get him fired (and he might not be wrong, the owner definitely doesn't like hearing "no." At least not from anyone but himself).

Who the fuck still sends commercial audio in AIF format? Who the fuck ever did?
AOL?
I can't expect any help from my boss, the General Manager, because he's super insecure about standing up to the owner, as he thinks it'll get him fired (and he might not be wrong, the owner definitely doesn't like hearing "no." At least not from anyone but himself).
Why does this guy own a radio station, again?

--Patrick

Here we go again, it's fall, and I get to have the biannual argument with the owner that we're full. No more room for commercials.

"Well, I just signed this agreement to air 36 more commercials a day 7 days a week for the next year for $4000 a month, so find room."

Ok, first of all, you do realize that works out to less than $4 a commercial, right? And that you FIRE salespeople who sell for less than $10 a commercial? Well, putting that aside for the moment, if we're going to have room for these, we'll need to make our commercial brakes longer."

"No, don't do that."

Then how are we going to fit this in?

"Move stuff around."

There's nowhere to move it. It doesn't matter how much you "move stuff around," you'll never fit 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag.

And I can't expect any help from my boss, the General Manager, because he's super insecure about standing up to the owner, as he thinks it'll get him fired (and he might not be wrong, the owner definitely doesn't like hearing "no." At least not from anyone but himself).
I guess just because it's "Radio Ads" but that reminded me of Patton Oswalt's bit on Robert Evans doing radio ads for EPSN sports radio.

GasBandit

Staff member
Why does this guy own a radio station, again?

--Patrick
Because he got stuck with us. See, he's not a radio guy, he's a business guy who, until 2008, was in the business of flipping radio stations. Buy them cheap on a loan, make some quick capital improvements, sell them for profit, pay off the loan, repeat.

Except he bought us in 2007 and the capital improvements still weren't even done before the market crashed. Prior to us, I don't think he's owned a radio station for more than 3 years. He's now owned us for 10, despite his best efforts to sell us, and doesn't care how many ends of a candle he has to set on fire to get money coming in, and the long term picture can go fuck itself.[DOUBLEPOST=1508891960,1508891647][/DOUBLEPOST]
I guess just because it's "Radio Ads" but that reminded me of Patton Oswalt's bit on Robert Evans doing radio ads for EPSN sports radio.

I wish we could put on ads HALF that entertaining. But whenever I get "creative" the clients tend to get cold feet.

Because he got stuck with us. See, he's not a radio guy, he's a business guy who, until 2008, was in the business of flipping radio stations. Buy them cheap on a loan, make some quick capital improvements, sell them for profit, pay off the loan, repeat. Except he bought us in 2007 and the capital improvements still weren't even done before the market crashed. Prior to us, I don't think he's owned a radio station for more than 3 years. He's now owned us for 10, despite his best efforts to sell us, and doesn't care how many ends of a candle he has to set on fire to get money coming in, and the long term picture can go fuck itself.
Well, he should be head-over-heels about the latest ruling by the "new-and-improved" FCC:

Local TV and radio stations no longer mandated to have studios located in the community(ies) they serve.

--Patrick

Because he got stuck with us. See, he's not a radio guy, he's a business guy who, until 2008, was in the business of flipping radio stations. Buy them cheap on a loan, make some quick capital improvements, sell them for profit, pay off the loan, repeat.

Except he bought us in 2007 and the capital improvements still weren't even done before the market crashed. Prior to us, I don't think he's owned a radio station for more than 3 years. He's now owned us for 10, despite his best efforts to sell us, and doesn't care how many ends of a candle he has to set on fire to get money coming in, and the long term picture can go fuck itself.[DOUBLEPOST=1508891960,1508891647][/DOUBLEPOST]
I wish we could put on ads HALF that entertaining. But whenever I get "creative" the clients tend to get cold feet.
Oh man, now I kind of want to see you do up some "creative" Halforums "radio ads".

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, he should be head-over-heels about the latest ruling by the "new-and-improved" FCC:

Local TV and radio stations no longer mandated to have studios located in the community(ies) they serve.

--Patrick
TBH that was an antiquated requirement, from the days when the only way to interact with the media was to show up at their building in person. Now we have websites, email, facebook pages, twitter accounts, the whole nine yards.

Also, FYI, that "obligation to air programming responsive to the interests of the community" bit they talk about is a thing, but it's easily handled. All it takes is a few local PSAs (which are easy to come by) and a topic-discussion show tucked away somewhere unobtrusive, like 6am on sunday. Which is what we do. We air Issues Today Radio there, and that pretty much handles all that.

And especially considering you can listen to any radio station you want anyways, with the power of the internet.
It's probably satellite radio and internet radio competition that caused the loosening of the rules. Terrestrial stations are already on the rocks.

--Patrick
Our "local" tv station has all of it's programming originate 90 miles to the north of the station location, which is 10 miles north of town anyway. There is one "local" news broadcast that is a total joke now, same stories and reporters from the northern mother-station, with a couple of local anchors to do the rest. The weather forecast is just the same as the other, they just change the temps by a couple of degrees to make it seem like they're doing their local job. Gave up even paying attention to them for anything other than the Friday night football updates that are a separate show from the news and covers all of Eastern Texas.

Our "local" tv station has all of it's programming originate 90 miles to the north of the station location, which is 10 miles north of town anyway. There is one "local" news broadcast that is a total joke now, same stories and reporters from the northern mother-station, with a couple of local anchors to do the rest. The weather forecast is just the same as the other, they just change the temps by a couple of degrees to make it seem like they're doing their local job. Gave up even paying attention to them for anything other than the Friday night football updates that are a separate show from the news and covers all of Eastern Texas.
My "local" stations according to the Nielsen DMA are all in Pittsburgh, 75 miles north. None of them cover anything here except in the case of major disasters. The stations that do cover the area are in a different market, and aren't available if you have DirecTV or Dish. Even Comcast is reconsidering carrying them on the cable system.

GasBandit

Staff member
Really, who this is going to benefit most is Clear Chann... er, I mean "iHeartRadio." I know for a fact they have a radio station up in Hearne that literally consists of one completely unstaffed fully functional broadcast studio that is checked on by a contracted part time engineer. All the programming audio is beamed there from elsewhere. But they had to have a "studio" in the market to satisfy the FCC rules, even if that studio had no personnel.[DOUBLEPOST=1508946333,1508945940][/DOUBLEPOST]More work shenanigans:

Salesweasel: "Please add the commercial's script to this affidavit."

Me: "Ok, e-mail me the script."

SW: (Email)

Me: "... there's no script in this e-mail, just traffic instructions."

SW: (Emails same thing again)

Me: /headdesk

More work shenanigans:

Salesweasel: "Please add the commercial's script to this affidavit."

Me: "Ok, e-mail me the script."

SW: (Email)

Me: "... there's no script in this e-mail, just traffic instructions."

SW: (Emails same thing again)

Me: /headdesk
"Maybe if I email it LOUDER the second time..."

--Patrick

Also, FYI, that "obligation to air programming responsive to the interests of the community" bit they talk about is a thing, but it's easily handled. All it takes is a few local PSAs (which are easy to come by) and a topic-discussion show tucked away somewhere unobtrusive, like 6am on sunday. Which is what we do. We air Issues Today Radio there, and that pretty much handles all that.
I was wondering why my local country station was playing an hour long ad for mortgage lending concerns Saturday morning. Odd that they choose to run it during the 9am Saturday hour, but "odd" can be applied to most of the radio stations around here. I'm seriously considering (for the first time in my adult life) buying a satellite-ready radio for our car, since there are only 6 non- Christian Music or Worship stations (and if you think I'm being facetious, I have bad news for you). The stations I have coverage from are:

1. A country station promising the newest, most in your face country music ever. Plays the same mix as everyone else. Not sure how 30+ year old George Jones is "newest," or how "Fancy" is "in my face."
  2. A country station promising classic country hits, mixed with modern favorites. About half the time they play the same mix as everyone else, the other half they play really classic country - Gene Autry, classic Opry, and the like.
  3. A station that's "all about the music," being broadcast from/for the Bandon Dunes golf course. It's like Jack FM or any of the other stations that play literally anything they want, genre be damned.
  4. A classic rock station.
  5. A pop station.
  6. A station that only comes in on weekends and is spotty then, which never identifies itself, and plays even more random music than the golf course. I'm only half-certain that this one isn't a church-owned station.
Amazingly enough, every day at around 6:30, 8:00, 10:00, 12:00, 14:00, and 16:30 you can change to any of the top 5 on that list and hear a fishing report, tide report, and local weather.

The lack of stations up here in NC Wisconsin was the reason why I got SiriusXM re-installed in both cars. (Though the Journey has Sirius, and my HHR has XM.)

I'm much happier with Pandora than I was with XM by the end of my subscription. The constant harassment from billing even when the account was ahead notwithstanding, more than a few of my favorite stations had bitten the dust.

RIP Music Lab, Fred, Lucy, Special X, On the Rocks.

Me: All right, Cineplex showtimes for Thor are up.
Cineplex: Heyyyyy buddy. You like 3D movies? Just look at this selection! IMAX 3D! Dbox 3D! Regular 3D! We got your 3D!
Me: I'd like to see it without 3D, actually.
Cineplex: HAHAHA. Okay, buddy. But seriously, which stupid, eye-gouging, overpriced gimmick would you like?
Me: None of them. I don't want 3D. It's unnecessary and it hurts my eyes.
Cineplex: *sigh* Fine. Here. 1:00 PM showing.
Me: I don't get off work until at least 6 these days.
Cineplex: *long pause* Heyyyyyy buddy! You like 3D movies?

Seriously, I feel like I have this conversation with Cineplex every time a new, big movie releases. I'm really sick of it.

Last edited:
One terrible solution, bu perhaps better than nothing, is to buy a pair of 2D glasses and wear them to the 3D showing.

Terrible because you're still paying the 3D premium and supporting the 3D industy, and because you're going to get half the light output you'd get at a 2D showing, as well as the minor fuzziness due to light bleed (no lens/projector is 100% perfect).

Sorry you have no good options.