[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Ran into the ex-wife as she had some paperwork that I needed to sign. We chatted for a good 30 minutes, was good.

GODDAMNIT. :mad:

figmentPez

Staff member
Some legal definitions of rape require penetration of the victim, thus eliminating most female aggressor rapes from being considered crimes.

Meanwhile, hitting someone with a pie in the face where some of the filling made it into the mouse or nostrils legally counts as a rape.

(source: npr story on rape in the military, so I've got my info, at best, 3rd hand.)
I was aware of this. In the CDC's rape statistics they don't count men who are forced to penetrate. Resulting in the bizarre statistic "4.8% of men reported they were made to penetrate someone else at some time in their lives" yet only 1.7% report that they were raped. What a strange system where being forced to have sex does not constitute rape.

Ahem, please reread my first post in your divorce thread. I pretty much warned you for this my friend.
Son of a bitch, you did too!

There may be an inevitable -reappearance- of her a few months down the line when she realizes what she had/lost. Certainly happened in my case, 3 times. First two times I told them -I told you if you left your life was going to spiral negatively, you got exactly what you wanted- third time was my long term girlfriend (now wife), who left for the same reasons (I'm pretty sure I told you all about her and the situation at one point). I forgave her and we've been married ever since.

I can say, that all 3 times I felt pretty horrid and the splits did NOT go well or amicably, for that I envy your situation (weird to say I know). I will say that everytime I moved on, it was definitely an -upgrade- in partner.

GasBandit

Staff member
I am not content to let "literally" sink into the same lexical quagmire that has ruined "deceptively."

(Go on, try and define deceptively. "He was deceptively shrewd." Does that mean he was shrewd but it isn't obvious, or does it mean he appeared shrewd but really wasn't? WHO KNOWS?!)

figmentPez

Staff member
"Hey, Dad, know what I figured out? The meaning of words isn’t a fixed thing! Any word can mean anything! By giving words new meanings, ordinary English can become an exclusionary code! Two generations can be divided by the same language!
"To that end, I’ll be inventing new definitions for common words, so we’ll be unable to communicate. Don’t you think that’s totally spam? It’s lubricated! Well, I’m phasing"

"Marvy. Fab. Far out"

GasBandit

Staff member
"Leave it to the Americans to think no means yes, bad means good, pissed means angry, and that a curse word means something OTHER THAN A WORD THAT IS CURSED!"

Hey, we're the country who made a mistake and named:

Elk. When we found out we were wrong and it's actually a different species we decided instead of fixing it we said screw it and came up with the word moose for what everyone else calls elk, and kept calling this animal elk.

We can do whatever the hell we want with our words!

Sure it can. The dictionary doesn't dictate what language is, it describes how it is used. It is a mirror, not a guidebook.
Think of the recursive loop, man! If literally -literally- means "not literally," then in interpreting its definition, we must conclude that literally means "Not not literally" which itself means "Not not not literally" and so on.