[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

I use marketplaces still, and have had pretty good luck both buying and selling so far, but the main issue is you have to be patient. Yeah, there's always the scammers/jerk-offs who try to get one over on you, but you can usually find what you need eventually. My personal pet peeves are people that ask you a question about the item, then ghost you, or the people who ignore the "PICK-UP ONLY/CASH ONLY" I always put on my posts. I usually charge a delivery fee of $50-$100 if they can't read the big, bold letters. It's amazing how they lose interest, or find a way to pick-up after that!
I haaaaate when they don't read the info in the ad.

"Can you deliver to...?"
"Bitch, what part of "can't deliver" do you not understand?"

Those were the exact things that made me vow to never bother again.

Showing up without the agreed amount expecting me to make change for them, was $40, they came with a $20 and $50. I said "Well, unless you want to go break that $50 somewhere and come back I guess it's $50 now cause I'm not taking only the $20."

Big bold letters "PICK UP ONLY, VAN OR PICK UP NEEDED" for a massive couch-size bean bag chair. "Can you deliver it to me?" No, cause there is no way it's fitting into our Corolla, which is why I said pick up only. "Do you think it will fit on my Tercel's roof?" Sure, you'll likely be killed by the wind sheer it creates, but you're welcome to try. Just don't bring it back here when you hit a low-hanging bridge and the fucker bursts or you get a ticket for an unsafe load.

Since getting a PS5, I've been trying to sell my PS4 Pro 1 TB on Facebook Marketplace for the past few weeks. I originally had it listed at $450, but have lowered it a few times and it's now at $300 (Canadian). Every single person who has messaged me has tried to haggle the price down. So far, the lowest offer was $220.

And I just don't know if I'm asking too much for it or what. I've looked at other listings and they're roughly around the same as what I'm asking. Certainly not around the $200 range. Most especially not with several games included. I still don't think $300 is unreasonable when you take the games into account.

What's most frustrating is people who will just message "Is this available?" and when I say it is, they never respond. Are you interested in the damn thing or not?

No photo description available.
Welp, on the bright side, I just sold it. Nice, young I think Russian or Ukrainian couple. Bit of a language barrier causing early confusion but we worked it out.

Heh, I was overly paranoid about it, though, and was worried I'd be robbed or something. So I hid my wallet in my apartment and even set up my GoPro to secretly record JUST in case. I didn't expect them to, like, force me back into my apartment, but my overactive imagination got the best of me.

It was all for naught because they were super nice and paid in cash as I'd asked. I was clearly being dumb.

I haaaaate when they don't read the info in the ad.

"Can you deliver to...?"
"Bitch, what part of "can't deliver" do you not understand?"
I literally couldn't GIVE stuff away when I was moving a few years ago. "I want those glasses." Great, come grab them. "Will you drop off?" Nope! Come get 'em! "I can't drive." Me neither, also packing up my life right now. "Fucker." Nice to meet you too!

GasBandit

Staff member
In my department's new office space, we were supposed to each have an outlet that was a dedicated 20 amp circuit to that outlet alone.

Who's got two thumbs and just found out the hard way that the electrician didn't do the job right and daisy chained 3 outlets onto one circuit?

Boy am I glad we all use laptops and weren't pushing any firmware to any devices we were working on, at the particular moment that breaker flipped.

This would just be a funny story if it didn't mean my current project is now derailed because I am working on a project that requires 20 amps for a single equipment rack alone.

GasBandit

Staff member
It happened again even with stuff unplugged in my rack to lower the amps it was pulling.

So I got a 20-amp extension cord and ran it across to another outlet nobody's using. Here's hoping it's on a different, less-utilized circuit.

We're organizing our wedding party -after getting married during Covid. Since half our families live 100+miles away, and we've got friends flying in from all over (it's not too late yet folks! Free drinks and food!), we got a group arrangement with a nearby hotel. So we've given the guests who are interested a link to book a room, and since the link didn't work for everyone, also the group discount code.
Sadly, last time the link allowed the choice between different types of room, while now only one is listed - though the discount is valid for other room types too (one big bed, two singles, baby cot, family room,... I don't think anyone's going to reserve a suite or anything). So, quite a few people have had to call and arrange rooms for themselves, just mentioning the discount code.
All well and good, as long as everybody has a room, fine.
Now the hotel mails us and asks for a list of everyone who'll be using the code and who is or isn't part of our wedding.
Bitch/Dude, I don't know! I've given the link to at least 50 people. Some cousins might drive back after all. Some foreign friends have decided to make a long weekend or week vacation out of it and have chosen another hotel. I'm sure about some people, but everybody? You're the one who's been getting the requests and bookings!

We had two candidates pass their written tests and interviews recently, so it was expected that I would have two new coworkers joining my chronically-shorthanded department next month. (For anyone wondering, yes, they're both women.)

One of them has just notified us that she is currently based overseas and due to a personal emergency, she won't be moving back to Taiwan for at least another year. She asked us if she could work remotely, but due to a variety of factors (training, confidentiality, observations, etc.) this isn't really feasible for new colleagues. So it looks like she won't be joining us.

The other has been, shall we say, lackadaisical towards her onboarding training. We gave her a few instructional files to read and a practice file to show what she learned. All she had to do was make a few edits based on the instructions. She sent back an unedited file. We emailed her back pointing out that she hasn't made any edits. She sent another file back with edits, but they were edits copied verbatim from the instructional file rather than edits showing she's learned anything. (For example, let's say the instructional file says "you should correct grammatical errors, eg. 'John are' should be changed to 'John is'. And in the practice file there's a sentence that says 'Bob are', but she changed that to 'John is'.) And then we emailed her back again pointing out that she didn't do the exercise correctly, and to please try again, and then she sent back a blank file.

So instead of two good new colleagues next month, we're getting one scatter-brained one instead.

We had two candidates pass their written tests and interviews recently, so it was expected that I would have two new coworkers joining my chronically-shorthanded department next month. (For anyone wondering, yes, they're both women.)

One of them has just notified us that she is currently based overseas and due to a personal emergency, she won't be moving back to Taiwan for at least another year. She asked us if she could work remotely, but due to a variety of factors (training, confidentiality, observations, etc.) this isn't really feasible for new colleagues. So it looks like she won't be joining us.

The other has been, shall we say, lackadaisical towards her onboarding training. We gave her a few instructional files to read and a practice file to show what she learned. All she had to do was make a few edits based on the instructions. She sent back an unedited file. We emailed her back pointing out that she hasn't made any edits. She sent another file back with edits, but they were edits copied verbatim from the instructional file rather than edits showing she's learned anything. (For example, let's say the instructional file says "you should correct grammatical errors, eg. 'John are' should be changed to 'John is'. And in the practice file there's a sentence that says 'Bob are', but she changed that to 'John is'.) And then we emailed her back again pointing out that she didn't do the exercise correctly, and to please try again, and then she sent back a blank file.

So instead of two good new colleagues next month, we're getting one scatter-brained one instead.
Are you sure she's not a bot? Or that she actually knows more than one language?

Are you sure she's not a bot? Or that she actually knows more than one language?
Pretty sure. She came in person to our office for her interview.

I think part of it is that she's so sure of her language abilities and translation skills that she feels like she can just coast into the job without doing any actual work. And it's true that she does have excellent language and translation skills. But we're still a company, she's still meant to be an employee, and her not taking this stuff seriously is only going to cause more issues down the line for her coworkers, our clients, and our clients' clients.

I hope she can get her act together because yes, we are short-handed and we need more people. But it's approaching the point where we're thinking she may end up creating more work for the rest of us.

Dave

Staff member
This is a minor rant for me but for my friend it’s a full on WARRLGARRBLE.

My best friend’s mom passed away. He called me a couple weeks ago because it was going to cost him an additional $350 to take her ashes on the plane. So he mailed them to me. In an Amazon box. Marked “Not Human Remains”. I can’t make this stuff up. We are going to go to dinner Tuesday night and I get to meet his kids for the first time.

Adulting sucks. Mark moved away not too long after I got back from the service. I was the best man at his wedding and he was the best man at mine.

I get a phone call tonight that his sister is picking up the ashes. Mark and his family got to the Vegas airport for a layover, and they CANCELED HIS FLIGHT! So not only is he and his family stuck in the Vegas airport, but there’s an NFL game in town and hotels we’re at a premium. They could not get a flight back to Omaha without paying an ADDITIONAL $3500 and it wouldn’t get in until 3 am Tuesday morning. In short, Mark is missing his mother’s funeral.

The ONLY bright side is that he mailed her ashes to me. Otherwise SHE’D have missed her own funeral!

What the source text said: "Our company exports chemical products worth tens of millions of dollars annually."

What our translation said: "Our company exports chemical products worth tens of millions of dollars annually."

What client's feedback said: "It's not necessary to specify that we export chemical products, we're a chemical company so this should be obvious. It's also not necessary to say tens of millions of dollars annually, please leave it out."

What we changed our translation to: "Our company exports products."

What the client's additional feedback said: "Why did you leave out so much information in the revised translation?"

What the editor (ie me) headdesking sounded like: "Thunk."

At first glance, I thought the second version said “with,” and I thought to myself, “Damn! I need to buy me some chemicals from these guys!”

—Patrick

Hurt myself during my vacation in Bulgaria. Hit the floor of the pool with my chest,while diving into it. Luckily it happened on my last day, but i am an pretty heavy pain since then. Dont have any broken bones, but every movement wants to make me scream.
Chest is better than head!

I hit my chest on the steering in a car accident once and that sucked for about 3 weeks.

Customer: *complains about prices, threatens to switch providers*

Me: I can transfer you to our loyalty department, who can give you a better rate.

Customer: Oh okay, because blah blah blah.

Me: I understand. So I can transfer you...

Customer: *continues life story*

LET. ME. TRANSFER. YOU.

Are you protesting something or do you not know how to calculate the area of a circle given the diameter?
I once discovered that one of the "Test Engineers" who was being used to test $1000 pieces of optical equipment couldn't average 2 numbers without being given a formula.

I once discovered that one of the "Test Engineers" who was being used to test $1000 pieces of optical equipment couldn't average 2 numbers without being given a formula.
Had a discussion with one of those last year about averaging 5 integer numbers that are never more than one apart in my head. Called it crazy and unreliable.

Dave

Staff member
You never realize how much you use your mouse wheel until your cat jumps on your desk and breaks yours. I'd fix it but you need a T7 sized bit for some of the screws and the smallest I have is T10.

Dave

Staff member
I find it unusual that if you have a T10 you don't also have a T8 or even a T6 laying around somewhere.

--Patrick
The T10 is the smallest I have in my toolbox. My normal computer tools include tiny screwdrivers, but none in that specific configuration so it does nothing.