[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

From my personal experience Nick, it could be that she just wanted another memory of you doing stuff you love.
Also from all too recent experience, don’t feel guilty about doing anything you can with your mom at this time in your lives. It can all be gone without warning. I’m still going through all those “1st times” in my life without mine around, and it’s different from what I expected.

My idea of a good time at a place like that is sitting and watching the water, seeing people climb, play and have fun, but if you asked me to climb I'd be like "Hell no, I would not enjoy that." She may have found her own silly joy in that half hour, too. We are built a little differently, mercifully.

Left a comment on Haligonia's Facebook page who posted highway camera pictures that included a spider that happened to crawl across the lens. My comment apparently is ban worthy. Jesus Christ.

This is my third time landing in Facebook jail. The first was replying to a female friend's post about giving up dating men. I simply responded "I don't blame you. Men are dumb." THAT was apparently labelled as hate speech. Second ban was posting a screenshot of that comment, landing me in Facebook jail for the same thing.

This shit is ridiculous.
Facebook Ban.JPG

EDIT: Well, that was quick. It was still bullshit.
Facebook Ban 2.JPG

I got thrown in FB jail for posting a sugar daddy meme, and FB labeled as "postings someone's nudes without their consent".

Only, there was no actual nudity. And it was a staged photoshoot for a meme, not a personal photograph.

I disagreed with the ruling, but it stood. :(

edit:
1662420552313.png

GasBandit

Staff member
Because that's where most of my Dallas and houston friends and family can be found easily.
Plus, I'm in about 6 different crochet groups, where I get ego cookies for sharing, and get lots of ideas.
All I can say is I'm glad I never fell into that trap. The last thing I wanted was the Family Reunion that Never Ends.

GasBandit

Staff member
(shrug) I only keep FB friends for people I don't mind keeping up with. I have plenty of old friends (and family) blocked on there.
Still gotta put up with Facebook though. I remember feeling held hostage to "it's where my friends are" in Everquest, kept me in that game 18 months past me no longer having fun in it.

Still gotta put up with Facebook though. I remember feeling held hostage to "it's where my friends are" in Everquest, kept me in that game 18 months past me no longer having fun in it.
Well, it's not like I gotta spend hours on there doing a raid or something. I check in a couple times a day for a few minutes. I honestly don't even scroll past the first few stories in my news feed.

Why anybody is still on facebook I really cannot fathom.
I barely use it anymore, honestly. I use Twitter more often than not now. And here to a lesser extent (and I tend to copy/paste Twitter stuff to here, which I hope isn't too annoying).

I've thought about deleting my account, but I have family on there who only use Facebook. And I honestly like the Memories feature because it reminds me of stuff I completely forget about.

Turning off Facebook was a wonderful thing for me, but I still get the pang of annoyance whenever someone mentions some pictures or some event or something I didn't see or wasn't made aware of because I'm not on there.

Nowadays when I scroll my Facebook, it's around 70% ads and random groups, and 30% actual updates from my Facebook friends. No exaggeration. I once counted ten straight ads/random group posts between two actual posts from friends.

But, well, I like my Facebook friends and I want to see their updates, so fine, I'll scroll through the ads and random groups.

I deleted or froze all of my social media because I honestly think it is the downfall of civilization and only half a step away from fascist data collection if it isn't already there. I basically only have Reddit and imgur left.

I'm much happier for it

I deleted or froze all of my social media because I honestly think it is the downfall of civilization and only half a step away from fascist data collection if it isn't already there. I basically only have Reddit and imgur left.

I'm much happier for it
Amen. I have a YouTube account that I use once in a rare while, and nothing else. And I don’t regret my lack of social media one bit.

Why anybody is still on facebook I really cannot fathom.
Too many FB videos require a login to view.
That and because there are many places whose websites literally say things like, "Check our FB for events/hours/availability" because they can't be arsed to (learn how to log in and) update a website.

--Patrick

One could argue that Halforums is a form of social media. And, at times, has been as toxic as anything I've seen on FB.
View attachment 42449
Myeah, but that definition - and I get where they're coming from, trying to include imgur and 9gag and Facebook and myspace all in one is stupid - is so broad it can include anything that's online. Wikipedia is social media according to that definition. Heck, the BBC website is social medium according to that definition, since I can write a comment. Amazon is a social medium.

Myeah, but that definition - and I get where they're coming from, trying to include imgur and 9gag and Facebook and myspace all in one is stupid - is so broad it can include anything that's online. Wikipedia is social media according to that definition. Heck, the BBC website is social medium according to that definition, since I can write a comment. Amazon is a social medium.
At least, for me, I tend to use FB, Imgur (to a much lesser extent), Telegram, and Discord all in a very similar manner to how I use Halforums: I chat with people I know and care about, I share things going on in my life and keep up with what's going on in others' lives, and I post pictures about things I want to brag about.

And for those few friends I have that don't use any of those things, I perform much the same activities over text messaging.

We did a translation for a medical company, which involved translating some descriptions of the medications they produce. They came back with feedback: "We need the translation to read more formally and less like a literary work."

Our translation: "Fakenamedimol was designed based on the patented technologies developed by Acme Pharmaceuticals. Its long in vivo half-life provides multiple advantages, such as high biological activity, low dosages, and safety."

Does this look like a "literary work" at all???

We did a translation for a medical company, which involved translating some descriptions of the medications they produce. They came back with feedback: "We need the translation to read more formally and less like a literary work."

Our translation: "Fakenamedimol was designed based on the patented technologies developed by Acme Pharmaceuticals. Its long in vivo half-life provides multiple advantages, such as high biological activity, low dosages, and safety."

First, you mention Half-Life which is one of them there video games, second the rest of the passage is a pile of bad technobabble. Definitely a literary work. Probably one of them self published on Amazon dealies.

is it on kindle unlimited? I may want to give it a read.

Possibly the "multiple advantages" is the problem? Was that in the original description? Maybe they're looking for simply "..."long in vivo half-life provides high biological activity, low dosages, and safety." The "multiple advantages" may sound like more opinion than fact, therefore "literary".

That's what jumped out at me, anyway. If "multiple advantages" is in the original, then I have no idea what they're complaining about. (I was a technical writer a very long time ago.)

You're looking at the problem backwards.

It's an actual sentence that doesn't have weird stops, or leaves a dry taste in your mouth, so it probably doesn't sound "technical enough".

Try to redo it in a way that's less human rememberable, and more machine searchable, i guess.

Possibly the "multiple advantages" is the problem? Was that in the original description? Maybe they're looking for simply "..."long in vivo half-life provides high biological activity, low dosages, and safety." The "multiple advantages" may sound like more opinion than fact, therefore "literary".

That's what jumped out at me, anyway. If "multiple advantages" is in the original, then I have no idea what they're complaining about. (I was a technical writer a very long time ago.)
Huh.

The source text does say "multiple advantages", but now that you mention it, your version is indeed more formal.

Since getting a PS5, I've been trying to sell my PS4 Pro 1 TB on Facebook Marketplace for the past few weeks. I originally had it listed at $450, but have lowered it a few times and it's now at $300 (Canadian). Every single person who has messaged me has tried to haggle the price down. So far, the lowest offer was $220.

And I just don't know if I'm asking too much for it or what. I've looked at other listings and they're roughly around the same as what I'm asking. Certainly not around the $200 range. Most especially not with several games included. I still don't think $300 is unreasonable when you take the games into account.

What's most frustrating is people who will just message "Is this available?" and when I say it is, they never respond. Are you interested in the damn thing or not?

No photo description available.

That's just what selling shit on marketplaces like that is like.

Same shit when I sold my Switch, guy keeps lowballing even after I tell him I have a better offer. Like, seriously?
It's almost worse when you actually have a buyer and hold it for them. Had a guy who said he couldn't get it until this past weekend. No problem. So I set it to pending for the rest of the week...only for him to ghost me and then back out of buying it. Bitch, I could have sold it last week if not for you.

Also annoying is when you get people seeing it listed as pending and message you "I'll come get it RIGHT NOW if you'll sell it to me, instead." And maybe I'm just too good or honorable a person, but I just won't do that shit.

And then there was this frustrating conversation. Ironic that I've lowered it to $300 since then, but I sure as hell don't want to deal with this idiot again.

Snip 1.JPG

Snip 2.JPG

Yeah, there's lots of people out there who are...Well, I don't know. There's the clear scammers trying to profit by telling you sob stories about their poor children going without food with cancer and superAIDS and won't you please sell me your PS6 for $20 so they can have a Christmas present (who will then resell the PS6 as a PS7 for $800); then there's the ridiculously entitled people who think you should be willing to drive 400 miles to give them their PS6 because they want it; there's the people who genuinely don't seem to understand haggling/negotiating (going lower than their original offer, increasing their offer by $5 while you lowered your price by $100,....)...

Buying second hand instead of new is great; selling to second hand instead of throwing away is great; but there's really no good way to deal with people being people. If the margins they took weren't so ridiculous pawn shops and second hand stores would be great intermediaries, but their profit margins are closer to scalping than fair value for the service.

And to be clear, it's on both sides. Sellers are obnoxious lying pricks too. "Never been used!" but on their Facebook profile they show themselves off using it (preferably badly); "pristine condition" but you can see scratch or stain marks even on their photos; "sure I'll come drop it off" only to ghost you; etc.

I bought tea recently. Yeah, I know, second hand tea, wtf, but it was a summer bar type thing that had a couple of hundred grams of green tea mix left over after summer and it wouldn't keep 'till next year. Since I drink green tea constantly and daily I figured, hey, why not. Of course it's not worth it for €15 worth of tea to go drive/bike 40kms so I asked if they could drop it off somewhere nearer when they had time so I could go pick it up (to be clear - THEY posted it in a regional Facebook buying*/selling group). "Sure, no problem, I'm in your town regularly, I'll come by when it's convenient, don't worry". Three weeks further, I've asked her a few times, "ohhh, yeah, I haven't been out that way in a while, but soon!". I understand not coming out here yourself to sell me that €15 worth of tea- it isn't worth the gas! -and if you find someone closer by, by all means. If you can't deliver it anywhere in this area, fair enough, no hard feelings...But don't promise me the goods, then not deliver and just keep me waiting for weeks. One of the three bags of tea had an expiration date in September 22 - I had a month to finish that when you posted the add, now it's probably already past its time. And sure, green tea doesn't go bad, but....come on.

lots of scam 'buyers' on various marketplaces also. "I need you to send me a code to prove you're real" is a common one...they use that scam to take control of people's google accounts. Never send a code to anyone. I also never take anything but cash because there's too many ways to scam electronic transfers--a common scam is "I accidentally sent you $100 more, can you bring cash?" and then days later the transfer is canceled/reversed/fails, so you're out the goods and $100. People suck

I have donated good things, and not made the money I could have, rather than deal with self-selling through marketplaces again. I did it for a couple of items years ago and with the headaches and hassles, it's just not worth it.

I use marketplaces still, and have had pretty good luck both buying and selling so far, but the main issue is you have to be patient. Yeah, there's always the scammers/jerk-offs who try to get one over on you, but you can usually find what you need eventually. My personal pet peeves are people that ask you a question about the item, then ghost you, or the people who ignore the "PICK-UP ONLY/CASH ONLY" I always put on my posts. I usually charge a delivery fee of $50-$100 if they can't read the big, bold letters. It's amazing how they lose interest, or find a way to pick-up after that!