[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Have a sit down with you, your boss, and his boss. Tell them the management style is not working for you, and you hope the specific issues can be resolved.

Then show the list of things that are pushing you away.

Then pull the boss boss aside privately and let him know you're trying to work things out without leaving, but the problem is the boss, and it's not just you. His company is being actively damaged and while yore happy to work with your boss if he makes changes make it clear to the boss boss that this is absolutely a deal breaker if things don't change.[DOUBLEPOST=1498225591,1498225533][/DOUBLEPOST]I blame yore phone, mine is perfect.

I second Steinman's advice. If you don't become proactive, this will get worse and worse until you quit or slide into full-blown depression.

I know. I know. But since there's literally 2 managers and the CEO, you can imagine they're close friends. I'm fairly sure the CEO isn't aware of everything and how it's done, but I'd still be complaining to him about his buddy. Also, if I do complain, either nothing is done, or it's relayed back to my boss that there've been complaints...And they'd have to come from me, there's no one else.
So I don't really dare go against him until I have a fallback plan. Which is....Yeah.

Well, aside from ingratiating yourself directly toward the CEO (i.e., "bypassing the middleman"), I don't know how many other options you'd have.

--Patrick
"'Get another job" or "prove his actions are actively hurtful to the company and serious enough they might face a legal challenge/loss of clients because of his behavior and he should go do something else"

I'm fairly sure the CEO isn't aware of everything and how it's done, but I'd still be complaining to him about his buddy.
Well that sucks. I'd still want to sit down with them and lay out my case in a non judgmental/blame/accusatory manner, but you and I are different people. I've worked with people like that and I don't know why but I don't find them to treat me the way they treat others, and so far I've not been able to figure out what I do exactly that shuts them down when I'm dealing with them - at least not well enough to help others.

It feels a lot like dealing with a child, and the best I can say is to stand your ground and continue to say no to their unreasonable demands, trying to help them understand what is possible/reasonable, and completely ignoring - not even responding in any way - to anything they say which is irrelevant or was conveyed in a rude manner or meant to get a rise out of you.

The last time I tried informing upper management about such a bad apple, they held meetings to try to understand the problem, then nothing changed. Eventually that company lost all the great people who'd been working there for years, and thus lost an incalculable amount of knowledge and skill specific to the product. They've never recovered.

If you don't feel like you can even broach the subject, though, then your only option is to start finding your next job. Whether you start your job search now or later, you need to be out of there in a few months before you get to the point where you accept the abuse and stick around. Cut your losses now.

Given the protections you have in your country regarding firing decisions, I'd say you don't have nearly as much to lose bringing up the subject, and changing your behavior and patterns you use dealing with him. Who knows, you might actually be able to find a way to make it work.[DOUBLEPOST=1498236503,1498236230][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, you'll continue to run into people like this throughout your career and life. It's worth spending time, perhaps with a professional, figuring out how to deal with them so you don't come to harm (emotional/mental/etc). I know, it's terrible we have to deal with people like this in society, and they typically do get ahead simply because they figured out a pattern of working people over to get what they want, but we can't change them, so if we can change ourselves and perhaps society so those patterns no longer work, then things might get better.

I've worked with people like that and I don't know why but I don't find them to treat me the way they treat others, and so far I've not been able to figure out what I do exactly that shuts them down when I'm dealing with them - at least not well enough to help others.
I assume that, based on what I know of your personality, they become frustrated by their inability to get a rise out of you, and so they instead turn their efforts elsewhere to concentrate on some other, more receptive target.

--Patrick

Well that sucks. I'd still want to sit down with them and lay out my case in a non judgmental/blame/accusatory manner, but you and I are different people. I've worked with people like that and I don't know why but I don't find them to treat me the way they treat others, and so far I've not been able to figure out what I do exactly that shuts them down when I'm dealing with them - at least not well enough to help others.
You are used to dealing with enfants terrible.

GasBandit

Staff member
Stefan Karl Stefansson (Robbie Rotten)'s cancer has become terminal.

gf.me/u/2tcze

Friends and supporters,

This is the update I never wanted to write. During moments of distress and heartache, time can become a friend and ease us down the road from our pain. Our hearts become a little lighter and we allow ourselves to hope.

But as many of you know, cancer has its own agenda. Stefan's post-surgery diagnosis revealed devastating news - his condition has progressed to Stage 4. As his wife Steina said, "life expectancy is significantly impaired."

Despite the best efforts of his excellent Icelandic medical team, and Stefan's personal heroism, there is no apparent cure. There are always experimental processes, and they will be woven into the fabric of Stefan's care if at all possible.

But for now and the immediate future, family and friends are concentrating on being positive, giving Stefan whatever he needs to recover from his most recent surgery, and regain his energy for as long as possible.

He is an extraordinary man - do I need to tell you that? He is moving beyond fear to a courageous and practical frame of mind. He has plans for several projects which I am certain will delight his fans worldwide.

And so I come to the part of this message where I put on my fundraising hat. You have all been so generous and kind these past few months, as our running total will attest. Can you do more?

It's hard to ask, but that is my job and I'm going to keep asking until people start throwing rocks at me.

I want us to raise a staggering amount so that Stefan will not have to bear the additional worry of his family's future, at least in the short term.

Thank you for your kindness and your concern for our friend Stefan.
Fuck Cancer.

Never having seen Lazy Town, the character and actor hold no special place in my memory.
But from what I've seen, he seems like a dynamic enough individual that it'll still be a shame to lose him.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Never having seen Lazy Town, the character and actor hold no special place in my memory.
But from what I've seen, he seems like a dynamic enough individual that it'll still be a shame to lose him.

--Patrick
You've probably seen some of the 9 bajillion memes involving him.

You've probably seen some of the 9 bajillion memes involving him.
I've seen memes and the occasional YouTube video, I've just never watched the series. That Li'l John mashup was my very first introduction of any kind to the series. I think our son might've watched one episode on his never-ending video quest for bright, colorful entertainment.

--Patrick

I've seen memes and the occasional YouTube video, I've just never watched the series. That Li'l John mashup was my very first introduction of any kind to the series. I think our son might've watched one episode on his never-ending video quest for bright, colorful entertainment.

--Patrick
My daughter or my son enjoyed Lazytown as a young child. You aren't missing much past the memes.

I avoided Lazytown with Li'l Z because i thought the puppets were creepy af. Luckily it wasn't on much when he started watching tv.

Further proof that the people who demanded I email them a copy of the spreadsheet I fill out every night don't actually read it. There was a posting error on Friday that caused a cash discrepancy. No cash was taken or given out, but the error wasn't spotted in time, so there was a shortage on paper. I noted it on the tab where cash postings were logged. Didn't stop the comptroller from emailing EVERYONE asking for an explanation. Or the owner emailing everyone today asking if the answer was received.

Funny that no one asked about the overage on Saturday that fixed the same error. :p

My mean super bitch boss never really read any of the reports we all wrote, nor did she read the summaries or briefings we wrote her. She would always ask for these painfully long conference calls with us and all of her other groups to brief her for important meetings and we would all have to stay for the same call. We used to mute our phone's microphone once our part was done and do other other things while we were trapped there.

I'll never forget the time we had to sit through a four hour plus call and then she lost all of her notes. She called me less than an hour before her big meeting that she needed to be briefed for and started screaming at me about it. I live several provinces away so I had nothing to do with her lost notes. Yet, I got screamed at and was the one that she called to "help" her.

She expected me to re-brief her. Brutal. And she was so hysterical that when I said something that she didn't like or understand, she would interrupt me and scream over me while I was trying to explain it. I would try to keep talking because what I was saying was important but she would actually say things like "I'm going to stop you now" or "why are you still talking about that?" or "I'm in too much of a hurry right now and you're using too many words for this issue - move on to the next" and even "shut up" once or twice.

fade

Staff member
Public transportation for my job is about the same as car to work, but slower coming home. This is because the two buses sync up almost perfectly in the morning, but not at all in the evening. Still pretty fast though. The main disadvantage is that my commute is short, so bus fare is the same or more than gas.

GasBandit

Staff member
I have yet to brave the public transportation here, despite there being a bus stop less than a block from my house and less than a block from my work.

I fell out of love with bus transport as a teen in Albuquerque, where I decided that waiting over an hour for a bus to arrive at a stop on literally one of the busiest streets in the city was shit of the worst caliber, and unreasonable to be expected of anyone who had anything resembling time sensitive tasks to accomplish.

Last edited:
2 hours every weekday
Yeesh. That's 25% of a full time job.[DOUBLEPOST=1498772467,1498772418][/DOUBLEPOST]If the democrats had their way the bus system would owe you insurance for that 10 hour a week job.

:troll:[DOUBLEPOST=1498772525][/DOUBLEPOST]And you'd be getting $15/hour, $600 extra per month.

Yeesh. That's 25% of a full time job..
I'm on the end of the line, so it has to go from what is essentially the edge of Columbus to the Statehouse (the middle of the city) then north to OSU. On a GOOD day, that's a 45 minute ride each way, but it's usually closer to an hour or more, especially on days where I'm traveling during rush hour. Then I have a 15 minute walk by foot to my house because the line stops in front of my development, not anywhere close to where I actually live.

During orientation, they asked us why we chose to go to OSU. They were not prepared to hear "Because it's the only 4 year college I can get to via public transportation."

Client sends us a translation they did, for us to edit. It's a relatively large document, around 30 pages. I glance at the first few pages, the quality's not too bad. I estimate I'd be able to do it within half a day. That's the deadline we quote to the client.

It turns out after the first five pages, the rest of the document was google translated. This cannot be edited up to an acceptable standard in half a day.

I feel like I got bait-and-switched by the client.