[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

I am going to be the Hot Mess Express at work tomorrow.

I will be sleep deprived from both my arthritis pain (current flare is evil) and my Game of Thrones trauma tonight. I will be limping heavily from walking that event mid-flare. My hair is still purple and allergies are making one of my eyes cry non stop. Just one.

I love my job and come in even when I'm not at my best to advance our projects and meet with my team but this is going to be rough.

Another mouse has found its way in. And unfortunately since we no longer have big male rats pissing up the place to mark their territory, this intruder has been going over to the girls' cage to scavenge food they kick out.

Which increases the area it might be in, so I'm not sure where to put the traps. I guess I'll stick them between the rat area and the kitchen--either rodent or human is going to make the kind of mess that attracts pests.

Ballsy little fucker. I first saw him while cooking, he scooted around the corner and under the fridge. Then, while I laid the fucking trap, he scooted back out and around the same corner. Last I spotted him was here at the computer, hopping from the stove to the fridge. He doesn't seem to care whether we can see him or not.
Maybe he's planning a prison break. It's gonna be Mad Mouse: Fury Road.

GasBandit

Staff member
So the owner's in the office today, and he's got me wasting my time listening to the morning shows of January and February in our audio skimmer to make sure a certain DJ didn't miss a day of work, I assume so that the owner would have a reason to shrink his final paycheck. Which I think is kinda shitty, given how the reason this guy doesn't work for us any more is because he hurt his back so bad he couldn't work for months and months, and in the interim, we replaced him. Wouldn't seem odd to me if we got sued over that, really.

So the owner's in the office today, and he's got me wasting my time listening to the morning shows of January and February in our audio skimmer to make sure a certain DJ didn't miss a day of work, I assume so that the owner would have a reason to shrink his final paycheck. Which I think is kinda shitty, given how the reason this guy doesn't work for us any more is because he hurt his back so bad he couldn't work for months and months, and in the interim, we replaced him. Wouldn't seem odd to me if we got sued over that, really.
That seems... insanely petty, to be honest.

GasBandit

Staff member
That seems... insanely petty, to be honest.
Well, I don't know anything for a fact. That's my own guesswork. I could be wrong. All I know is I was asked to check a range of dates to make sure he was on the air on every one of the days. It seems to me if we were being magnanimous, or just regular old decent, we'd have assumed he was on the air all those days and just cut him a check. He didn't ask to be in bedridden agony for months, it's not like he was trying to skive off.

That said, his replacement is a lot easier to work with.

Three years ago I had some extra money and decided to buy my first gaming pc. I bought every part in USA and I had been very happy with it until now. I got a new graphic card just last month and today I saw smoke coming out my motherboard and it is no longer working. In this place I can't find any motherboard compatible with my ram (ddr3 1600 mhz) and processor (i5 2500k).

So I posted in the in or victory but because of where she got a job I have to post it here too. My wife got a job at Walmart.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Three years ago I had some extra money and decided to buy my first gaming pc. I bought every part in USA and I had been very happy with it until now. I got a new graphic card just last month and today I saw smoke coming out my motherboard and it is no longer working. In this place I can't find any motherboard compatible with my ram (ddr3 1600 mhz) and processor (i5 2500k).
How can you not find boards compatible with that processor/RAM?
(checks around)
Ahh, it's the socket that's the problem, not the chipset.
Just about any 6x/7x series chipset should support LGA1155 and DDR3-1600. There are still plenty out there, just have to restrict your searches to only LGA1155 socket and whatever motherboard size you need. Prices at Newegg look like they range from US$80-US$180

--Patrick

I've said before that I have a weakness for getting into stupid internet arguments. I know I shouldn't, but I do.

One thing that honestly surprises me the most is how quickly these idiots feel the need to throw baseless accusations at me or jump to conclusions about who I am. For example, whenever I get into arguments about comics, such as my distaste for DC, I'm accused of being a Marvel fanboy, a casual plebian (that was a new one), or that I didn't know anything about comics or what I'm talking about. This blows my mind because nowhere did I divulge information where they could logically come to that conclusion. Yet, they'll continue to throw insults at me while I either try to defend myself (explaining how long I've been a comic fan, what I read, etc) or actually try to show them respect by deconstructing the argument.

I don't know why I bother, honestly. The most recent argument was in a YouTube video comment section for that upcoming Gods & Monsters animated movie. I wound up getting tired of arguing that I just deleted my original comment, and thus the whole conversation. I'm tired of people getting overly defensive and accusational if someone disagrees with them.

Last edited:
I keep thinking about making a thread in the politics section where I can ask question to try and clear up any misconceptions I have about Libertarianism. I've mockingly referred to it as the "I got mine, fuck you" system, but truth be told other than seeming to want to privatize and deregulate as much as possible, I have no real idea how Libertarians view various issues.

On the other hand, it seems like such a thread would really just start a lot of arguments, and who needs that shit?

GasBandit

Staff member
I keep thinking about making a thread in the politics section where I can ask question to try and clear up any misconceptions I have about Libertarianism. I've mockingly referred to it as the "I got mine, fuck you" system, but truth be told other than seeming to want to privatize and deregulate as much as possible, I have no real idea how Libertarians view various issues.

On the other hand, it seems like such a thread would really just start a lot of arguments, and who needs that shit?
Well, have you read the Libertarian party platform? That would probably be a good place to start.

http://www.lp.org/platform

I've said before that I have a weakness for getting into stupid internet arguments. I know I shouldn't, but I do.

One thing that honestly surprises me the most is how quickly these idiots feel the need to throw baseless accusations at me or jump to conclusions about who I am. For example, whenever I get into arguments about comics, such as my distaste for DC, I'm accused of being a Marvel fanboy, a casual plebian (that was a new one), or that I didn't know anything about comics or what I'm talking about. This blows my mind because nowhere did I divulge information where they could logically come to that conclusion. Yet, they'll continue to throw insults at me while I either try to defend myself (explaining how long I've been a comic fan, what I read, etc) or actually try to show them respect by deconstructing the argument.

I don't know why I bother, honestly. The most recent argument was in a YouTube video comment section for that upcoming Gods & Monsters animated movie. I wound up getting tired of arguing that I just deleted my original comment, and thus the whole conversation. I'm tired of people getting overly defensive and accusational if someone disagrees with them.
I used to get into these things more, and at one point in college I realized how much of a complete waste of time and emotion it is. It would hang around me even after I got off the computer. So I decided not to do it anymore and it really improved my mood. Anytime I accidentally slip up on that, either here or elsewhere, I'm reminded of that time when I used to do this often, and force myself to crawl out of it before it gets under my skin.

But even at my worst, I didn't subject myself to arguing in the Youtube comments section. I'm guessing you type there one-handed while the other commits self-flagellation?

Part of the problem is that some of those are non-answers. Abortion, for example: "Recognizing that abortion is a sensitive issue and that people can hold good-faith views on all sides, we believe that government should be kept out of the matter, leaving the question to each person for their conscientious consideration." Well, no, it doesn't work that way. Either abortion is legal and available to be performed by trained medical staff in sanitary conditions, or it is illegal, which means that it will still be done, by doctors who have lost their license or various other quacks, in much less desirable conditions. At least, if you're poor. If you have the means, you can still go overseas and get one (as per the Hemingway story 'Hills Like White Elephants'). People who are pro-choice want it to be an available option, pro-lifers want it to NOT be an option. Those viewpoints can not both be satisfied simultaneously.

I have to admit, though, section 2 is hilarious.

It's just verbosely saying the official Libertarian Party stance is that abortion is not (or should not be) illegal.
Okay, and who makes sure that people have access to it, keeping pro-lifers from blockading clinics?

And what's the Libertarian policy for dealing with natural disasters?

GasBandit

Staff member
Okay, and who makes sure that people have access to it, keeping pro-lifers from blockading clinics?

And what's the Libertarian policy for dealing with natural disasters?
It's a common misconception that libertarians want to do away with police and fire departments, etc. Libertarians are not anarchists. Most of their beef with big government is with the federal level, and most of what beef remains is with the state level. Your rights end where somebody else's begin, so you cannot lawfully block someone from entering a clinic.

It's a common misconception that libertarians want to do away with police and fire departments, etc. Libertarians are not anarchists. Most of their beef with big government is with the federal level, and most of what beef remains is with the state level. Your rights end where somebody else's begin, so you cannot lawfully block someone from entering a clinic.
And how do you fund the police and fire departments?

And how do you deal with a disaster - flooding, tornado, etc - that is beyond the scope of local emergency services?

GasBandit

Staff member
And how do you fund the police and fire departments?

And how do you deal with a disaster - flooding, tornado, etc - that is beyond the scope of local emergency services?
Almost none of the former, and very little of the latter, is actually from the federal budget/income tax, which is the specific tax the platform has a problem with. Texas manages to fund its police and fire departments on sales tax, and depending on where you are, some property tax.

See also: Life Without FEMA.

If you want more, I suggest we take it to my political thread. I'm going to bed now though, so answers will have to wait until tomorrow.

This morning's local paper has the obit for a 45 year old woman who "passed away." Passed away? Not exactly. She was shot by sheriff's deputies who she tried to run over with her car. :facepalm:

Get to work, 8:30 AM, my phone rings, it's the VP of Operations in Toronto.

Never met the guy, never spoke, had a few e-mail exchanges on occasions regarding certain processes, what the fuck did I do wrong?

Pick up, good mood, phew, not being canned.

"We had a meeting with all the VPs and Director of PMO... your name came up a surprisingly number of times, in every positive way possible. I just wanted to thank you for all your effort with <SHITTY CLIENT I HATE AND I'M STUCK WITH BUT AM KICKING ASS ON> as well as <other clients>. You're in our thoughts. Keep up the good work."

"Er thanks"

gotta say, it's a good day.

Get to work, 8:30 AM, my phone rings, it's the VP of Operations in Toronto.

Never met the guy, never spoke, had a few e-mail exchanges on occasions regarding certain processes, what the fuck did I do wrong?

Pick up, good mood, phew, not being canned.

"We had a meeting with all the VPs and Director of PMO... your name came up a surprisingly number of times, in every positive way possible. I just wanted to thank you for all your effort with <SHITTY CLIENT I HATE AND I'M STUCK WITH BUT AM KICKING ASS ON> as well as <other clients>. You're in our thoughts. Keep up the good work."

"Er thanks"

gotta say, it's a good day.
"So how 'bout that raise...." :p

But, seriously, man, good on you, even if nothing material comes from it, that has to be nice to hear. I'd wish someone noticed my work with some clients :p

"So how 'bout that raise...." :p

But, seriously, man, good on you, even if nothing material comes from it, that has to be nice to hear. I'd wish someone noticed my work with some clients :p
Then I had a meeting meeting with my boss

"I heard, we should reward you Jason. Let's go out for a team dinner sometime next week."

"Er thanks."

Step 1 : Get free dinner.
Step 2 : Get awesome evaluation.
Step 3 : Become VP of Operations.

I'm sure you're all at least passingly familiar with the fact that Belgium has a ridiculous political make up. Right now, we have 9 parliaments and 8 governments. A politician of one of the ruling parties has now actually introduced the idea of adding a 10th parliament and 9th government. I'm at a loss for words at how insane and inane this idea is. Soon, we'll have more members of parliament than actual working people. Politicians truly live in a world of their own. Gah.

I'm sure you're all at least passingly familiar with the fact that Belgium has a ridiculous political make up. Right now, we have 9 parliaments and 8 governments. A politician of one of the ruling parties has now actually introduced the idea of adding a 10th parliament and 9th government. I'm at a loss for words at how insane and inane this idea is. Soon, we'll have more members of parliament than actual working people. Politicians truly live in a world of their own. Gah.
What? How? How are you a functioning nation?

How is that even possible: do all governments claim national authority? Are they all legitimate?

Like Chad, I admit I'm intrigued by the possibility of simultaneous government, but that still seems like too much freedom of choice.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, depending on how it's actually set up, it could be less ridiculous than it sounds. I mean, after all, the United States has 1 federal government with two parliamentary houses, 50 state governments with their own respective legislatures, and roughly 89,000 local governments.

Two national (like House & Congress) , one for Dutch-speaking cultural affairs, one for French-speaking cultural affairs, one for German-speaking cultural affairs, one for Flanders, one for Wallonia, one for Brussels, and one for cultural affairs stretching several language groups. both the regional and the cultural ones have only limited authority over some matters, and in certain regions, but the regions don't *exactly* overlap. oh, and I guess there's the European parliament, too :p
Obviously not including local government. The two national parliaments are like House & Congress, the regional ones are similar to State level, the cultural ones...Well, imagine a separate parliament for Hispanic Affairs, and one for Afro-American Cultural Affairs, and so on...Each organizing education in their own language group, though not necessarily only in the area where the language is spoken or culture is dominant.

The one they want to add would be for the "greater Brussels area". Brussels already has a government and parliament (for a city with the population of roughly Dallas, mind), but it s connection to the hinterland is troublesome and it would be beneficial to have a joint parliament to facilitate matters and expand the city's reach in its outlying regions. To be frank, it's a French-language power grab in a large part of the Dutch speaking region, and a way to get some more cronies cushy jobs, nothing more.[DOUBLEPOST=1434402162,1434402119][/DOUBLEPOST]
How are you a functioning nation?
Well, we *did* go without a national government for 18 months with practically no ill effects....:p

I am sitting in the cross hairs of a tropical storm. It is still flooding near my home (It can't get me, directly.) Now we can expect about another 5 inches of rain. I guess I need to do my traditional purchase for tropical storms... Tonic Water, Limes and Gin.