[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

We should make videos and see whose cat can out-crazy the others.
Oh, if that contest had been held just over a half-dozen years ago, I would've won that hands-down. We had six living together. Now we're down to just two.

--Patrick[DOUBLEPOST=1424927680,1424927576][/DOUBLEPOST]

--Patrick

Last edited:
One or two of them would climb onto the edge of the bathtub during a shower and scream at you "WHAT ARE YOU DOING THAT'S WATER AND YOU'RE LETTING IT GET ALL OVER YOU DON'T YOU SEEEEEEE

...now hurry up so I can drink the leftovers!"

--Patrick

We should make videos and see whose cat can out-crazy the others.
We just got a harness and leash for Kiki so she can go outside with us. She doesn't like the harness much. I should video her reaction when she has it on. Last time she jumped in the air a good 2 feet off of the floor.

It's not quite noon, is that too early to start drinking?
Admittedly the other side of that phone call is pretty much my life. I mean technically four kids in a five year period was her idea... but I did marry into it. So I can't go "oh woe is me".
Little kids are tough when it comes to getting stuff done at home. Today is a perfect example of that for me. I sat down to do our taxes about 10 hours ago and I ended up giving up about half way through just because the kids were making it extremely difficult.

The twins running in and tattling on each other.
The twins teaching their 2-year old sister to jump on the chain for the front gate motor.
My four-year old daughter whining for 30 minutes because we didn't get a pepperoni pizza (Only had enough cash for one and the majority of the kids want cheese).
The 2 year old waking up from a 20 minute nap screaming absolute murder for about an hour.
Heck. While I'm writing this message my two-year old is tearing apart something behind me and I'm just too completely in "fuck it" mode to care so long as it's not something dangerous. Just turned around. It's some junk mail. Go get em, Hailey.
I empathize with that mother.

This is a tough life.
I would honestly tell anyone with less than 4 kids to go fuck themselves if they ever told me I was doing something wrong.

We just got a harness and leash for Kiki so she can go outside with us. She doesn't like the harness much. I should video her reaction when she has it on. Last time she jumped in the air a good 2 feet off of the floor.
Mine just flop over on their sides and let me drag them like the massive fur-covered hot water bottles that they are.

Admittedly the other side of that phone call is pretty much my life. I mean technically four kids in a five year period was her idea... but I did marry into it. So I can't go "oh woe is me".
Little kids are tough when it comes to getting stuff done at home. Today is a perfect example of that for me. I sat down to do our taxes about 10 hours ago and I ended up giving up about half way through just because the kids were making it extremely difficult.

The twins running in and tattling on each other.
The twins teaching their 2-year old sister to jump on the chain for the front gate motor.
My four-year old daughter whining for 30 minutes because we didn't get a pepperoni pizza (Only had enough cash for one and the majority of the kids want cheese).
The 2 year old waking up from a 20 minute nap screaming absolute murder for about an hour.
Heck. While I'm writing this message my two-year old is tearing apart something behind me and I'm just too completely in "fuck it" mode to care so long as it's not something dangerous. Just turned around. It's some junk mail. Go get em, Hailey.
I empathize with that mother.

This is a tough life.
I would honestly tell anyone with less than 4 kids to go fuck themselves if they ever told me I was doing something wrong.
I'm gonna recommend duct tape to you too.

This is a tough life.
My sister-in-law has four kids. They do not act like that. Ever. But her family life is stable and her marital relationship is not lopsided. That makes a difference in how you relate to your children. Your home environment has more of an effect on how your kids behave than you may realize. If you're busy trying to please a person who is as demanding, self-absorbed, and manipulative as you describe your wife, then your children are most likely getting the short end of the stick when it comes to attention. It's "a tough life" because you have decided to stay in a bad situation and that will bleed into other aspects of your life besides your relationship with your wife.[DOUBLEPOST=1424971916,1424971724][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, in case you want to make a case for finances/different schedules/stay-at-home parenting, my sister-in-law is a full time ER nurse and my brother-in-law is an electrician who works for a contractor. They do not have much time, but they make it count when it comes to their kids.

GasBandit

Staff member
So one of our program directors called me to her office this morning because her Firefox doesn't work.

Only she doesn't phrase it like that.

She calls me and says, "is the server down?"

What? What server....?

"I open my Mozilla and it says no server."

No matter how many times I correct her she never calls it Firefox.

So I go to her office, and sure enough firefox can't open any websites. But she can ping out with no problems, and chrome is able to load web pages.

I get a sinking feeling in my stomach.

Sure enough she's got a half dozen different add ons that I don't recognize, any one of which could be a hijacker.

Despite her assertions that she "never puts nothin" on the computer.

Not even this recipes add-on?

"Oh yeah, well THAT one yah..."

/headdesk

Your home environment has more of an effect on how your kids behave than you may realize. If you're busy trying to please a person who is as demanding, self-absorbed, and manipulative as you describe your wife, then your children are most likely getting the short end of the stick when it comes to attention. It's "a tough life" because you have decided to stay in a bad situation and that will bleed into other aspects of your life besides your relationship with your wife.
Going to be scary if/when the kids pick up on how effective mom's tactics are when dealing with dad. Yikes.

GasBandit

Staff member
We were supposed to launch today.

Bad weather caused ice problems on multiple antennas, kept the engineer busy, so we weren't ready to launch today.

So we were supposed to launch tomorrow.

ENGINEER JUST FOUND OUT ONE OF OUR SHOWS COMES FROM A DIFFERENT SAT NETWORK THAT WE DON'T HAVE A RECEIVER FOR.

My sister-in-law has four kids. They do not act like that. Ever. But her family life is stable and her marital relationship is not lopsided. That makes a difference in how you relate to your children. Your home environment has more of an effect on how your kids behave than you may realize. If you're busy trying to please a person who is as demanding, self-absorbed, and manipulative as you describe your wife, then your children are most likely getting the short end of the stick when it comes to attention. It's "a tough life" because you have decided to stay in a bad situation and that will bleed into other aspects of your life besides your relationship with your wife.[DOUBLEPOST=1424971916,1424971724][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, in case you want to make a case for finances/different schedules/stay-at-home parenting, my sister-in-law is a full time ER nurse and my brother-in-law is an electrician who works for a contractor. They do not have much time, but they make it count when it comes to their kids.
Not quite sure your sister in law has real kids. Doppelgangers maybe? Possibly the Village of the Damned?:)
How old are the kids on a serious note?
I don't feel that our parenting is terrible. The kids can be quite polite and good when they wish to be. In fact when we have them separated from the herd they are very very well behaved. But with two five-year olds, a four year old, and a 1 year old (Birthdays all coming up, but this has been their ages for the past year), I've found that when they get together their energy starts to build off of each other. Soon everything becomes a "Look what I can do!" and a "Oh yeah? Well look what I can do!" and goes from there. Do we maintain rules and enforce them? Absolutely. As they get older I expect better behavior, but at this time I think they are giving us the best behavior they can. Doesn't stop us from using things like quiet time and opportunities to rethink a decision.
Whereas some families have their kids spread out over a few years, even large ones, the younger ones have the opportunity to learn better behavior from the older ones.

Not quite sure your sister in law has real kids. Doppelgangers maybe? Possibly the Village of the Damned?:)
How old are the kids on a serious note?.
While we were still in CA they were 10, 7, 5 and 1 year.
Since we moved to HI I mostly talk to my sister-in-law via text messaging due to the time difference. But now they would be 14, 11, 9, and 5.

Usually it's only 3 hours (2 during DST), but she also works evenings and our kids all have activities, so that little time difference makes it hard to find a good time to talk.

I think he was implying that hawaii is 4 years ahead in time.

It's ok @PatrThom, I got it.
I don't get it. Was my response unclear or poorly worded? I don't think it sounds like we time-traveled.
Also, I'm used to talking to people who don't know what the time difference is or if there even is one! I love east coast people who call me at 9am their time, especially in winter.

While we were still in CA they were 10, 7, 5 and 1 year.
Since we moved to HI I mostly talk to my sister-in-law via text messaging due to the time difference. But now they would be 14, 11, 9, and 5.
Pretty diverse ages. The youngest one would always have an older sibling to also learn good behaviors from.

It's much different with the age grouping that we have. I assure you.

Last edited:
You'd think that. When chores are being given out that's when they are "too tired".
That depends. If something needs to be done, "do what I say." If it's just a BS chore to keep them busy, "nap time."

I'm not pulling this stuff out of my ass; my mom knew how to get keep us out of her hair. My little brother was born with cerebral palsy and some accompanying issues, so by the time I was 4, she didn't have time for the rest of us giving her hell.

Pretty diverse ages. The youngest one would always have an older sibling to also learn good behaviors from.

It's much different with the age grouping that we have. I assure you.
Anyone who has siblings knows this is not always true. Yes, the older ones may presumably know better. It doesn't mean they always model good behaviors or that the younger ones will learn good behaviors from them. How many people have been told by their older sibling (or other relative) to do or say something that horrified their parents because they thought it would be funny? I learned the word "fuck" from my older twin cousins. I said it to my parents because I had no idea what it meant. They thought it was hilarious to watch me get in trouble.
My sister-in-law doesn't depend on her older children to teach the younger ones how to behave. That isn't how it works (although the boys supposedly potty trained their younger brothers). It's up to the parents/guardians/caregivers to give direction or discipline. I'd use my own children as an example, but my personal experience apparently doesn't matter to you because I only have two kids that are nearly 4 years apart. Just like how my sister-in-law's story doesn't really matter to you either since the age grouping is different.
Honestly, you get what you allow - as in what you do not correct. If Susie constantly interrupts when her mom is on the phone, then Susie will constantly interrupt when her mom is on the phone every time until mom does something to change that behavior. Whether it is redirection or giving an age-appropriate consequence, then they will continue to behave in the same way regardless of how their older siblings act.

I feel like everyone has tread way too far here. Parenting advice discussions are 1000x more toxic than politics, so I suggest we drop it.