[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

fade

Staff member
At my old university, department head carried no increase in pay and most professors actively sought to avoid appointment to head.

Right now the college president is facing legal action for stripping a faculty member of department head status for no cause... for the second time. (Not the same faculty member, but same department.) He lost the case badly the first time - the arbitrator said it was one of the most flagrant violations of union contract he'd ever seen, and that's by New Jersey standards!

My shoulder hurts. I suspect it's tendonitis.

And before anyone asks, no, it's actually my left shoulder, and I'm right handed.

It's lupus.
Last week, a friend of mine from high school passed away. It was sudden to me, because I had no idea she was sick, aside from life-long issues with severe asthma and occasional seizures. When I was at her memorial service last Saturday, I found out she was diagnosed with lupus, and the combination of that and a seizure in her sleep is what killed her.

It was probably morbid humor, but as I'm driving home alone, the line "It was lupus! It's NEVER lupus!" popped into my head and gave me my first laugh that day.

To be perfectly honest, the whole thing has become such a ginormous shit show that I don't really want to get into it, because even describing it pisses me off too much. But it will get better. We'll get there, the hill isn't really insurmountable, there is a light at the end of the tunnel that isn't a train; it just sucks right now. Besides, I kind of feel like all I ever really do around here is rant, and I don't want to be that guy.

My iPod spontaneously died last night. Just up and stopped working, no reason. Can't charge it, can't turn it on, nothing. It's a vending machine iPod that's four and a half years old, so I don't know the lifespan, but just before Christmas is not when I wanted to be getting a new one. However, my wife and I both need them to fall asleep.

I'm hoping I can pick up something really cheap and used from Gamestop for the interim and then maybe after taxes next year I'll get something decent, but this still sucks.

GasBandit

Staff member
My iPod spontaneously died last night. Just up and stopped working, no reason. Can't charge it, can't turn it on, nothing. It's a vending machine iPod that's four and a half years old, so I don't know the lifespan, but just before Christmas is not when I wanted to be getting a new one. However, my wife and I both need them to fall asleep.

I'm hoping I can pick up something really cheap and used from Gamestop for the interim and then maybe after taxes next year I'll get something decent, but this still sucks.
Do you have a smartphone? Most of those have MP3 players built in.

Sandisk Sansa Clip Zip. 4GB is around $30, and it accepts microSD cards.

I've been using a first gen iPod Nano since '05 and the only thing I've had to do to it is reset the factory settings a bunch of times and replace the battery once. Unfortunately, the battery is starting to lose it's charging ability again so I may have to open it up again and do the deed... only this time I can't buy a kit from Kokopelia because they went out of business.

figmentPez

Staff member
Sandisk Sansa Clip Zip. 4GB is around $30, and it accepts microSD cards.
I got 4 older versions of the Clip in a bag of crap from Woot.com a while back (just bare players, no cables or headphones or anything). They're surprisingly capable little players.

So about a month ago a friend lost their house (forclosure) but they gave us their brand new hot water heater (like 2 years old) well tonight my daughter goes to get dog food from the garage and well... surprise leaking hot water heater all over the garage. I managed to drain it and block in the water except for a really small leak (breaking the valve handle in the process). So now tomorrow I'm going to be changing it out. So much for a relaxing weekend. yay.

I found out that my best friend is seeing my recent ex. I don't know what kind of seeing, but tonight I was having a get together at my house and he texts my girlfriend and tells her that he couldn't make it. No biggie, people can't make things all the time. Then, later that night, another friend arrives and asks me how long my best friend had been seeing my ex. I have no idea what he's talking about. He tells me he saw them together at the little Vietnamese joint right next to the Fatburger he was getting his dinner from.

As far as I know she's still seeing the meathead she left me for a couple of months back so I dunno what's up. I'm feeling really fucking betrayed right now though. Just before getting dumped I was getting ready to propose to this woman for fuck sakes.

GasBandit

Staff member
I found out that my best friend is seeing my recent ex. I don't know what kind of seeing, but tonight I was having a get together at my house and he texts my girlfriend and tells her that he couldn't make it. No biggie, people can't make things all the time. Then, later that night, another friend arrives and asks me how long my best friend had been seeing my ex. I have no idea what he's talking about. He tells me he saw them together at the little Vietnamese joint right next to the Fatburger he was getting his dinner from.

As far as I know she's still seeing the meathead she left me for a couple of months back so I dunno what's up. I'm feeling really fucking betrayed right now though. Just before getting dumped I was getting ready to propose to this woman for fuck sakes.
I know your pain, bruh. Believe me. I know it's cold comfort now, but at least she showed her true colors before you made it legal. It'd be a whole lot messier if not.

I know your pain, bruh. Believe me. I know it's cold comfort now, but at least she showed her true colors before you made it legal. It'd be a whole lot messier if not.
See, I don't care about what she's doing. It's what he's doing that I care about.

See, I don't care about what she's doing. It's what he's doing that I care about.
Honestly Frank?

I wouldn't even bother with the guy. Fuck him.

It goes against bro code to do ANYTHING with good friends girls, whether they are present or in the past, you don't do shit like that. If you do, you're not a a good friend and in fact a terrible human being.

Honestly Frank?

I wouldn't even bother with the guy. Fuck him.

It goes against bro code to do ANYTHING with good friends girls, whether they are present or in the past, you don't do shit like that. If you do, you're not a a good friend and in fact a terrible human being.
I can't just say fuck him, he's been my best friend since we were 16. Half my life. That's not easy to just say fuck it to.

Honestly? You don't know shit yet. It's not like YOU saw them together. Just ask him if he's dating her. It might be nothing.

And really, if they are and it's going well, you should honestly be happy for him.

Cajungal

Staff member
Well good luck when you do bring it up. I hope that it's not what you think. And if it is, I'm sorry. That sucks.