[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

The Lincoln House has essentially been condemned by the city for years, especially after the water pipe break that destroyed that station's studios.

Oh, and one more thing you'll get a laugh about - guess what organization had its county headquarters in the building? Hint: it's LINCOLN House.

My mother-in-law died about 16 months ago.
Right after she died, I bought a $3 lottery ticket, figuring our luck might change.
It won, but only for $2.
I promptly lost it.
Finally found it last week.
Lottery tickets in MI are only good for one year from date of drawing.
So now it's worth $0.
:(

--Patrick

Ever have one of those days at work where you come in on Friday morning, and your company higher-ups ask you to take a project you're completely unqualified for, but you say yes anyway, because they're higher-ups? And then you spend all day Friday doing your best on it, but then the end of the day rolls around and you have to hand in your work, knowing that despite your best efforts it's still a pile of total crap? And now your weekend is basically ruined because you know on Monday morning you will inevitably have to deal with some very unsatisfied higher-ups, and if you're exceedingly unlucky, some pissed off clients? Ever have a day like that?

GasBandit

Staff member
My boss is flipping-tables mad, raving and stomping through the halls because his arbitron account got locked because he didn't change his password in time (they require periodic password changes), and the password change e-mails are supposedly getting caught in his spam filter, and he can't remember his password to get into his e-mail setup to manage his spam filter because his iphone/outlook remembers it for him.

My boss is flipping-tables mad, raving and stomping through the halls because his arbitron account got locked because he didn't change his password in time (they require periodic password changes), and the password change e-mails are supposedly getting caught in his spam filter, and he can't remember his password to get into his e-mail setup to manage his spam filter because his iphone/outlook remembers it for him.
I can't stand people that can't remember their own goddamn passwords.

Good news: my cell phone carrier is FINALLY going to be offering the iPhone in November!

Bad news: I moved outside their coverage area two years ago, and won't be able to upgrade to it. :facepalm:

Worse news: it's entirely possible that, with all the "reward points" I've had saved up since my last phone upgrade, that I would have been able to get one for a drastically reduced cost.

I know, I know, first world problems.

Finally got my car into the dealership to have this whole "serpentine belt keeps slipping off the pulleys" thing checked out. From what they've been able to discover, it looks like when Jiffy Lube was originally attempting to put the belt on with the wrong routing, they cranked on the tensioner pulley too hard and damaged it. Since they managed to put the belt on anyway, driving with a bad tensioner and the wrong amount of tension on the belt has caused the idler pulley to go bad (which explains why it's been sounding less like I'm driving an '07 Fusion and more like I've been driving a '95 F-350 V8 diesel). Also, the battery, which is supposed to be rated to 550 cold-cranking amps is currently only load testing to the low 200 range. And the 6 month old serpentine belt is frayed from the bad pulleys. All told, I'm going to be out about $850, including the cost of the tow from my apartment to the dealership, and it's going to take 2 days to replace the pulleys, because one has to be ordered from Portland.

This is a minor rant because, for once in pretty much my entire effing life, I can actually afford to have my car fixed.

GasBandit

Staff member
BOY I LOVE gettin to mess around with Grub4dos and hiren's boot CD to make a bootable USB thumbdrive because somebody's son set a HDD password on their netbook and forgot it.

Last week one of our rats jammed the nail from one of his back feet into his underside. He had an injury in that area before; I fucking told the vet he did it to himself, but he kept saying it had to be the other rat, who is lazy and docile.

I've been treating the wound and it had been building a wide scab, clearly healing. Things were looking up ... then tonight I turn around on the couch and see he's got something in his paws--it's a chunk of scab with rat hair in it. I flip him over.

There's a HUGE FUCKING HOLE in his underside near his leg. We padded it until the bleeding ebbed, cleaned it, and put some cream in it, then gave him meds crushed in yogurt so he'd fall asleep and stop picking at it, but we can't watch him all night when we sleep, nor all day while we're at work. I'm gonna check him in the morning and put more cream on it.

I just want to scream at him for being such a fucking idiot, but I know he won't understand what he's done. It's very easy to get an infection in that area, especially when these dumb animals piss and shit wherever they please. And you know, the area was healing. I could see new skin on the edges of the hole, but he just ripped that fucker out 'cause it was itchy. Things were going to be fine, but now I don't know. The vet said there's nothing to be done there--put a cone on a rat and he'll use his little hands to yank it off. We just have to keep it clean and hope he doesn't rip the scab off when it heals (and that it doesn't get infected).

This is how the baby rat in April 2012 died. We removed the scab on his tail, thinking we were doing the right thing, and he started chewing on the wound until it got infected and he couldn't survive surgery. I take small consolation that this time it's not my fault, but it doesn't change my being upset and pissed off.

I get to take the car back to the dealership that just did the work on it, so I can find out what the fuck they did to my damn car. Check engine light came back on this morning on my way to work, and for having had the idler pulley replaced on Tuesday, it idles way too high and rough. And the electrical system is a bit... bizarre. I had three separate levels of bass on my stereo on the way home, as it progressively got bass-ier and bass-ier, and I wasn't changing anything. And the music I was listening to is not notoriously well known for its use of bass.

And the update on the car, round 2, is... the reason the check engine light came back on is not related to the idler or tensioner pulley, or to the serpentine belt that was just replaced. The noise that I'm hearing that sounds like the car is idling really high is not, in fact, the car idling really high. It's the solenoid clips that control the flaps on the intake manifold rattling around and/or getting stuck. The check engine light is related to said intake, and also to the thermostat, which is shot and keeps getting stuck as well. Luckily, so far it's been getting stuck on "cold" and not "hot" and it hasn't overheated the engine yet. The car will be ready on Tuesday (again), but it's another $800 +tax... which I don't have this time.

And the update on the car, round 2, is... the reason the check engine light came back on is not related to the idler or tensioner pulley, or to the serpentine belt that was just replaced. The noise that I'm hearing that sounds like the car is idling really high is not, in fact, the car idling really high. It's the solenoid clips that control the flaps on the intake manifold rattling around and/or getting stuck. The check engine light is related to said intake, and also to the thermostat, which is shot and keeps getting stuck as well. Luckily, so far it's been getting stuck on "cold" and not "hot" and it hasn't overheated the engine yet. The car will be ready on Tuesday (again), but it's another $800 +tax... which I don't have this time.
You really, really like this car, yes? Because for the amount you've put in over the last month you could've bought a 2nd hand one. Jeeze....

GasBandit

Staff member
You really, really like this car, yes? Because for the amount you've put in over the last month you could've bought a 2nd hand one. Jeeze....
$1600? Not since Cash for Clunkers ruined the used car market. It's tough to find a used car now for less than $5k because all the so-called "clunkers" that got traded in were federally mandated to have their engines chemically destroyed by the dealers who took them in.

$1600? Not since Cash for Clunkers ruined the used car market. It's tough to find a used car now for less than $5k because all the so-called "clunkers" that got traded in were federally mandated to have their engines chemically destroyed by the dealers who took them in.
Ah, big government screwed over the unwealthy. That's new. :p

(Has it only been $1600? I thought it was $1600 these last two times, and another $400 two times before that)

CFC didn't remove all the deals from the market, there were plenty of models not caught in that dragnet. That said, it did clamp down pretty severely on supply, so you're pretty hard-pressed to find a deal that is still a deal.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Ah, big government screwed over the unwealthy. That's new. :p

(Has it only been $1600? I thought it was $1600 these last two times, and another $400 two times before that)
Yeah, it's indicative of the common mindset in Washington, whatever your party. I mean, come on, have you working class schlubs, who barely make ends meet, seen how much arugula is at Whole Foods lately?

It's only been about $1500 or $1600 all told, and I did kind of skip that whole 95k - 100k mile maintenance, due to not having a job. It's time for some things to start breaking.

I have been having so much trouble feeling like people care about what I say, lately. My closest friend seems to deliberately misinterpret things, or just completely ignores me, my mother has developed a habit of interrupting me and jumping in to finish the thought or answer an (unasked!) question, or even just to completely change the topic! My father's always been bad for letting people get their words out, so that's probably the same, but with the other things, it just seems to be worse. Even at work I'm exhausted saying something over and over. Blargh.

I'm not saying I am always worth listening to; I'm sure I talk too much at times and create my share of useless noise, but come on... Sometimes is not too much to ask! Also, if you ask me a question, and interrupt the answer, do not then be offended that your guess to the rest of the answer was wrong: you could have just listened to me all the way through my sentence.

Was going to take my kids to the police department Halloween party tonight, Instead I'm going on the third hour of fighting with my son to even start his homework while my husband took my daughter out. FML.

Tell him to take it from somebody with an advanced science degree, all the homework is indeed DUMB, it is however worthwhile! The harder he works now the easier his life will be later.

The day I get my son to self motivate is the day I throw a giant party. He not only hates homework, he's autistic with a stubborn streak that is miles wide. Most of the time his teachers can get him to do his homework at school, but this week he has been ridiculous and I'm about to cry. :p

The day I get my son to self motivate is the day I throw a giant party. He not only hates homework, he's autistic with a stubborn streak that is miles wide. Most of the time his teachers can get him to do his homework at school, but this week he has been ridiculous and I'm about to cry. :p
FWIW, I fully sympathize with him. Home is not for homework. Home is for family and television and playing and meals and showers and pets and chores. School is for schoolwork. Home should be a place where you can put your schoolwork to practical use, and not an extension of the classroom. Otherwise, why go to school?

(Disclaimer: I absolutely loathed homework. Still do.)

--Patrick

Exactly. No Aspergers here, but homework always felt like encroachment, an unwelcome invasion of my personal time.
I can understand a need to root some skills in the subconscious (martial arts, good habits, manners), as these are things which need actual practice in order to refine, but long division is something you just ... get, and once you get it, it stays got. I shouldn't need to do a hundred long division problems on my own time to "prove" or "solidify" this knowledge just because of "tradition." Grr...

--Patrick

Like I said earlier, he does most of this work at school now to minimize the amount he actually has to do at home, because his teachers do get how hard it is to get him to do it at home. Most of the time the amount of homework he has is laughably small, he just will not do it. He would rather stare into space and chew on his fingers for 3 hours than do 15 minutes of homework and be done with it. It doesn't matter when I ask him to do it, and no amount of punishment, or positive reinforcement seems to make a damned bit of difference. It is very frustrating.

The thing is, I don't want him to never bring home work, because quite frankly, doing things that you don't want to do is an important life skill, and I would like to try to encourage him to be as independent as possible, especially as he gets older. I would prefer that he isn't in a situation where he has to rely on us his whole life.

I feel that, that's what I did too, I took a study hall for 1.5 hours a day just to knock my homework out and be able to go home and do stuff I liked.

According to his teachers, he has had plenty of opportunity to get his work done during school this week but hasn't been doing it there either, so yay. I'm going to blame Halloween and hope it's better next week. ><

I just listened to The Data Gould Hour podcast, and one of the Twitter jokes that I'm most proud of is done one better there, which made me laugh and made me a little sad.

Reading an article that my wife says she relates to makes me a little sad. I don't know if we're ever going to have kids. She came from an abusive household and saying that she identifies with the woman being interviewed, who noted having to restrain herself from being an angry person (which I see in my wife) and that she doesn't want kids because she doesn't believe she can break the cycle (which I also see in my wife), is enlightening but unfortunate.

It also dealt with reconciling with said abusive parents, which is more positive, because the children of abusive parents should not be guilted into a fake reconciliation, especially when the parents feel they've done nothing wrong. I'm glad she feels she can identify with that strength, because in the past she's let herself be guilted back to them.

I don't know. Her past will always haunt her to some degree, even if she lets the abuse itself slip from memory, but since she's finally getting help, maybe that doesn't have to shape our future. She's more than what she came from and while I agree with her that having kids around the point where her father could still directly make marks on their lives is a bad thing, hopefully we can come to a place where we feel it's safe to move on.

But it might not happen until he's in the ground.

Internet and phone are both down. This makes contacting the provider a pain in the ass. Apparently it's just our house, which means the likely culprit is 'weather'. Of course, they can't send a tech out till Sunday and I'm currently at Panera Bread sucking off their free Wi-fi. This weekend is going to suck pretty hard.

Reading an article that my wife says she relates to makes me a little sad. I don't know if we're ever going to have kids. She came from an abusive household and saying that she identifies with the woman being interviewed, who noted having to restrain herself from being an angry person (which I see in my wife) and that she doesn't want kids because she doesn't believe she can break the cycle (which I also see in my wife), is enlightening but unfortunate.

It also dealt with reconciling with said abusive parents, which is more positive, because the children of abusive parents should not be guilted into a fake reconciliation, especially when the parents feel they've done nothing wrong. I'm glad she feels she can identify with that strength, because in the past she's let herself be guilted back to them.

I don't know. Her past will always haunt her to some degree, even if she lets the abuse itself slip from memory, but since she's finally getting help, maybe that doesn't have to shape our future. She's more than what she came from and while I agree with her that having kids around the point where her father could still directly make marks on their lives is a bad thing, hopefully we can come to a place where we feel it's safe to move on.

But it might not happen until he's in the ground.
Both of my parents came from physically and verbally abusive homes. I don't know how they stopped the cycle, but they did. There were signs of it (their past) that I can see looking back as an adult. I respect them so much because of their determination and resolve.

I hope the best for both of you. That's a tough road.