Men: More abusive when out of work

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElJuski

Staff member
Yeah because when a woman got a job and I don't ARRRUUGHHH I JUST WANNA PUNCH HER IN THE FUCKEN FACE!

I mean, not really. But I could see how men with aggressive tendencies when frustrated would be more aggravated when frustrated with job loss.

I'm guessing in some people it does. Unemployment and financial problems can lead to frustration which can lead to violence. Crime goes up, alcohol consumption goes up, lots of bad things happen. Saying "Men, when they're out of work, tend to become abusive" is just plain stupid though.

Top stories like this and more in the new Magazine DUH!

But seriously... yeah, it's probably true. A sense of frustration on both ends of the relationship, with mounting debts and a feeling of worthlessness is the perfect catalyst for violence.

Saying "Men, when they're out of work, tend to become abusive" is just plain stupid though.
I'm sorry, you must not have met my friend "fear-mongering" in order to get bills passed. No one wants to vote against the bill that stops men from beating on their wives.:rolleyes:

Saying "Men, when they're out of work, tend to become abusive" is just plain stupid though.
I'm sorry, you must not have met my friend "fear-mongering" in order to get bills passed. No one wants to vote against the bill that stops men from beating on their wives.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
It's ok. The mighty Republicans tried to fillibuster it. Like everything.

I'm sorry, you must not have met my friend "fear-mongering" in order to get bills passed. No one wants to vote against the bill that stops men from beating on their wives.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
It's ok. The mighty Republicans tried to fillibuster it. Like everything.[/QUOTE]

It's because they like to see women get beat.

It's ok. The mighty Republicans tried to fillibuster it. Like everything.[/QUOTE]

It's because they like to see women get beat.[/QUOTE]
It's because people poor and unhappy get them more votes ;)

It's obviously the low sense of self worth and the following frustrations that lead to assholes beating their wives, so whether it's getting canned or unable to open that ketchup bottle shouldn't make much of a difference for a wife beater. In any case, seems like a useless justification to get more money to make jobs to me. Battling unemployment is always a good thing, I don't see how domestic violence would somehow make it more urgent.

:laugh:

I

Iaculus

:laugh:[/QUOTE]

Having Sarah Palin on the team will do that for a party.

Having Sarah Palin on the team will do that for a party.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, between trying to take away old people's medicine and little kids lunches I don't know where they find the time to beat women and filibuster. That multi-tasking workshop really did wonders for them.

Ok, doing some searching. The best I could find was this
An extensive 2004 report by the National Institute of Justice found that the rate of violence against women increases as male unemployment increases. When a woman's male partner is employed, the rate of violence is 4.7 percent. It's 7.5 percent when the male experiences one period of unemployment. It's 12.3 percent when the male experiences two or more periods of unemployment.
I know it's a local thing, so I can't say it's a nationwide truth.

I

Iaculus

Having Sarah Palin on the team will do that for a party.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, between trying to take away old people's medicine and little kids lunches I don't know where they find the time to beat women and filibuster. That multi-tasking workshop really did wonders for them.[/QUOTE]

You forgot the moustache-twirling. The moustache-twirling is very important.

Especially if you don't have a moustache.

Well yeah, 'cause then you have to buy a fake mustache and use that glue and it's just a mess and that really takes time out of your wife beating, filibustering, school kid lunch stealing, old people killing time.

An extensive 2004 report by the National Institute of Justice found that the rate of violence against women increases as male unemployment increases. When a woman's male partner is employed, the rate of violence is 4.7 percent. It's 7.5 percent when the male experiences one period of unemployment. It's 12.3 percent when the male experiences two or more periods of unemployment.
I would venture it's probably true, it certainly seems like common sense as others have pointed out, although I doubt it's merely the one factor.

Dave

Staff member
Men TEND to think of their job as their self-worth. Men without jobs feel powerless and worthless. Men who have the tendency of becoming abusive do so not because they are angry and not because they hate the person whom they are abusing, but for power. So it really does stand to reason that the cause & effect is there.

C

Chazwozel

Men TEND to think of their job as their self-worth. Men without jobs feel powerless and worthless. Men who have the tendency of becoming abusive do so not because they are angry and not because they hate the person whom they are abusing, but for power. So it really does stand to reason that the cause & effect is there.
That's a fine hypothesis, Dave, but without data to support it Harry Reid is blowing smoke out of his ass.

Dave

Staff member
That's a fine hypothesis, Dave, but without data to support it Harry Reid is blowing smoke out of his ass.[/QUOTE]

I agree. But the data is there to show correlation. Check out Krisken's post. So he's not blowing smoke, he's just not critically thinking the reasons through.

Cajungal

Staff member
I can see where a guy who's frustrated and feels powerless could let out his feelings that way. But I think that men who'd do that are probably more likely to resort to violence anyway; the trigger could be losing their job or something else. I don't have any sources to back that up... just thinkin out loud.

I'm sorry, you must not have met my friend "fear-mongering" in order to get bills passed. No one wants to vote against the bill that stops men from beating on their wives.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]I dunno, there were plenty of people willing to vote against protecting contractors over-seas from getting raped. Beating women on the home front shouldn't be a problem.

Dave

Staff member
I'm sorry, you must not have met my friend "fear-mongering" in order to get bills passed. No one wants to vote against the bill that stops men from beating on their wives.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]I dunno, there were plenty of people willing to vote against protecting contractors over-seas from getting raped. Beating women on the home front shouldn't be a problem.[/QUOTE]

Strange how that was a vote down party lines, too. And Bush was against it and said he'd veto it. Amazing and scary. "Hey women in the military! Republicans would rather see you get raped than bring a cash cow to justice!"

And that's only exaggerating a little.

fade

Staff member

Well yeah, 'cause then you have to buy a fake mustache and use that glue and it's just a mess and that really takes time out of your wife beating, filibustering, school kid lunch stealing, old people killing time.

I would venture it's probably true, it certainly seems like common sense as others have pointed out, although I doubt it's merely the one factor.[/QUOTE]

But how are the Democrats finding time to propose any bills between their family destroying, values besmirching, and bringing every aspect of our lives under their stinking government control?

Joblessness can also lead to a sense of trepidation regarding the future, not knowing what's going to happen and whether everything's going to work out. And, as we all know, fear leads to...

GUYS

your missing one little thing
the kind of people who beat their wives, the ones with seriouse anger management problems are also probably the same kinds of people that would get fired.
That sounds exactly like someone I know. Asshole at work, asshole at home, asshole without a job, asshole who's abusive--all in one person!

None of this surprises me. As much as people should have lives outside of their jobs, people (men particularly) find a good portion of their self-worth in their job, or otherwise 'what they do.' An out of work man is an unhappy man, or at least an unfulfilled one. There are exceptions: people who just don't care at all. I deal them every day as a food bank worker.

"More Jobs For Men = Less Battered Women" rings true to me, but I don't think it even needs to be brought up when discussing the creation of new jobs. There are many better (or at least, better grounded, less abstract) reasons to create jobs.

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------

GUYS

your missing one little thing
the kind of people who beat their wives, the ones with seriouse anger management problems are also probably the same kinds of people that would get fired.
That sounds exactly like someone I know. Asshole at work, asshole at home, asshole without a job, asshole who's abusive--all in one person![/QUOTE]

Yeah, the solution to that is not simply the creation of new jobs. I would argue the solution to that is engaging upcoming generations in character-molding organizations that instill virtues of teamwork and respect, like the old Civilian Conservation Corps that the Americans had. If you refuse to make it mandatory, at least make it hella attractive. This stuff is where you guys should have shoved your billions of dollars. Not up the ass of AIG.

job or not, angry or not, men beating their wives are worthless sub humans.

the only time I ever laid the smackdown on someone unprovoked was because i witnessed some dude punching his woman. You know the worse part? i got yelled at by the woman i was trying to help.

^ my best friend's bro was a street cop for a single day. He went out on a domestic disturbance call, the woman was badly beaten and bloodied. He arrests the husband, and as he was cuffing the husband, the wife charged across the room with a butcher knife trying to free her man. He shot her dead in her tracks and turned in his badge when he got to the station.

Status
Not open for further replies.