[Gaming] Mass Effect 3 : It's here and thy ending is queeeeeeer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I just beat the game.

I was really not happy with the endings like I was worried I would be. I also disliked the whole "The reapers work for me actually, this is the job they do!" shit with the little kid that they just throw on you. It's just that all the endings pretty much screw people over. Tali will never see Rannoch again after finally getting it back, the only way to kill the Reapers is to also destroy a friend and an entire civilization after finally helping them achieve true sentience, and turning into techno-organic creatures, while the "good" ending, kind of destroys all the races natural evolutionary identities. All that trouble helping the Korgan cure the genophage? Probably worthless now since they are half-robot, oh, and Wrex will never get to meet his kids.

While it was cool seeing Harbinger fry everyone, including myself, I was hoping to hear him talk again. The guy taunted me nearly all of ME2, and in ME3 you don't even see him till the end, and then he is just silent and never says anything.

Maybe I would feel better if I got to see what really happened to my squad and friends after the ending, but it never really shows you. All the endings pretty much end up the same way for the crew, they crash on some jungle planet (not earth, mind you, since they were going through the relay at the time for whatever reason, it's never actually explained) and they get off the ship and poof, credits. In only one of the endings is Tali and Garrus going to survive, unless that planet is dextro-amino, and if that is the case then everyone ELSE dies.

I just feel underwhelmed, there was no option to really save the galaxy, and the reason for having to make these choices as given by the kid was hilariously stupid and spits in the face with what I did for Tali and Legion. I also find it hilarious that the kid created the Reapers, giant machines, to wipe out the life of advanced species, so that giant machines don't wipe out life in general. What?
I just beat the game tonight and this is exactly what I was feeling.

Essentially, all that work for nothing.

I really don't mind Shepard dying, but at least give me a clear option on not screwing over the entire galaxy.

On the screwing over the galaxy thing. Aren't the spacecraft still all capable of faster than light travel? Sure, no one is going to be instantly traversing the entire galaxy anymore, but people aren't stranded in singular solar systems. And hell, eventually, they'll be able to replicate the mass relay technology. I think it's just a temporary setback.

On the screwing over the galaxy thing. Aren't the spacecraft still all capable of faster than light travel? Sure, no one is going to be instantly traversing the entire galaxy anymore, but people aren't stranded in singular solar systems. And hell, eventually, they'll be able to replicate the mass relay technology. I think it's just a temporary setback.
Whether they can replicate the relay technology remains to be seen, but then you have to deal with that fact they need to build them. That means they need to send teams of engineers out from the various systems, all using the basic faster then light travel, which will require a lot of fuel and a lot of time. Maybe if they can figure out how to communicate with the other stranded world they can get something moving, but I am pretty sure most long range communication also relied on the relays.

You still have the likelihood that Tali will never see her planet in her lifetime, unless Quarian's live as long as Asari. Wrex might be lucky and get back to his world to meet with his mate, but that's just because her system is not far from Sol, where he seemed to be stranded.

Actually, why the hell was Joker and my crew going through the relay? Did Hackett call for a retreat? Tali and Garrus were just with me down on the ground before I went through the relay and got up to the Citadel. How did they get back to the ship and get to a relay before I made the ending occur?

Wow, so apparently Clint Mansell is only responsible for the single track, Leaving Earth and partially for An End Once and for All (which is just a different version of Leaving Earth). They made such a big deal about him doing the music when he really just contributed one track. I guess Bioware was just desperate for another Hollywood credit in the game.

Kinda feel bad for Jack Wall (lead composer for ME and ME2).

Whether they can replicate the relay technology remains to be seen, but then you have to deal with that fact they need to build them. That means they need to send teams of engineers out from the various systems, all using the basic faster then light travel, which will require a lot of fuel and a lot of time. Maybe if they can figure out how to communicate with the other stranded world they can get something moving, but I am pretty sure most long range communication also relied on the relays.

You still have the likelihood that Tali will never see her planet in her lifetime, unless Quarian's live as long as Asari. Wrex might be lucky and get back to his world to meet with his mate, but that's just because her system is not far from Sol, where he seemed to be stranded.

Actually, why the hell was Joker and my crew going through the relay? Did Hackett call for a retreat? Tali and Garrus were just with me down on the ground before I went through the relay and got up to the Citadel. How did they get back to the ship and get to a relay before I made the ending occur?
I read somewhere that in something it was mentioned that Protheans had been able to replicate the mass relay technology, and while they were apparently way more advanced than the species in our cycle, it does show that it's possible. I'm just talking big picture. I'm sure it would be generations before people in the ME universe were getting anywhere with it.

I'm still in (to borrow a word from one of my favorite podcasts) complete agreeal now about the terribleness of the ending.

I haven't played ME3 yet, but wasn't the Conduit from ME1 a Prothean replica of mass relay technology?

Is anyone else experiencing major crashing issues with this game? Lately when I'm playing the single player campaign I get the whole "this program has stopped responding yadda yadda yadda" crashes which are annoying but not game breaking.

Multiplayer however results in me quite frequently having a serious hard lock blue screen crash. It sucks because it usually happens around wave 7-10 and often I can't get the computer rebooted and log back in in time to get my hard earned experience/credits. Lame.

No other games cause these problems. All drivers are up to date and all that jazz. Just getting really REALLY annoyed with the hard locks.

Prolly your graphic drivers.

Make sure to update them and if it's NVIDIA... may the force be with you.

Took me 6 months to get proper drivers....

I did just update the drivers and it doesn't seem to have alleviated the problem.

I'm running an ATI Radeon 6780 HD by the way.

Annoying problem!

I haven't played ME3 yet, but wasn't the Conduit from ME1 a Prothean replica of mass relay technology?
It was, and we also have one built by the Reapers themselves on Earth. The issue is that such technology took a long time for the Protheans to reverse engineer, and even then it was limited (the Conduit was a one way device, as is the new Reaper variation.) The larger mass relays are a bit more complicated. Even then, it seems ALL mass relay technology relied in some form on the Citadel, as both the Prothean and Reaper one-way variations went to the Citadel, and once you make your choice in ME3 the Citadel is either destroyed or goes inert, thus causing the main mass relays to blow up.

Really though, the biggest issue is the section after the credits, where we see an old man talking with a kid on a planet somewhere, telling the story of "The Shepard" like it was a bedtime story that happened thousands of years ago, and that some of the details were "lost in time". Considering this is in the future when people like Liara had a super-timecapsules with all the knowledge and history of the galaxy, it implied to me that the worlds have gone back to a less technologically advanced period in life, in which even space travel in general has become more rare.

It was, and we also have one built by the Reapers themselves on Earth. The issue is that such technology took a long time for the Protheans to reverse engineer, and even then it was limited (the Conduit was a one way device, as is the new Reaper variation.) The larger mass relays are a bit more complicated. Even then, it seems ALL mass relay technology relied in some form on the Citadel, as both the Prothean and Reaper one-way variations went to the Citadel, and once you make your choice in ME3 the Citadel is either destroyed or goes inert, thus causing the main mass relays to blow up.

Really though, the biggest issue is the section after the credits, where we see an old man talking with a kid on a planet somewhere, telling the story of "The Shepard" like it was a bedtime story that happened thousands of years ago, and that some of the details were "lost in time". Considering this is in the future when people like Liara had a super-timecapsules with all the knowledge and history of the world, it implied to me that the worlds have gone back to a less technologically advanced period in life, in which even space travel in general has become more rare.
That Stargazer thing was dumb as mud.

That Stargazer thing was dumb as mud.
I think part of why they made it was to close off the story while still allowing people to play DLC, since it reverts you back to the point right before the final mission with the stargazer saying "Okay... One more story." before throwing you back in right before it locks you into the ending missions.

Also is it just me, but didn't the amount of enemies feel rather... small? We had the Geth once, then it was pretty much all Reapers and Cerberus. I understand it makes sense since we were bringing together all the other groups, but why not just repackage a few of the older enemies and use them in a few missions? Why couldn't I have beat the Blood Pack and Blue Suns into working for me, rather then just doing a fetch quest? I know some wouldn't make sense, like the Collectors, but the Collectors sure would be fun in multiplayer.

I think part of why they made it was to close off the story while still allowing people to play DLC, since it reverts you back to the point right before the final mission with the stargazer saying "Okay... One more story." before throwing you back in right before it locks you into the ending missions.

Also is it just me, but didn't the amount of enemies feel rather... small? We had the Geth once, then it was pretty much all Reapers and Cerberus. I understand it makes sense since we were bringing together all the other groups, but why not just repackage a few of the older enemies and use them in a few missions? Why couldn't I have beat the Blood Pack and Blue Suns into working for me, rather then just doing a fetch quest? I know some wouldn't make sense, like the Collectors, but the Collectors sure would be fun in multiplayer.
I'm sure the mercenary crews will make an appearance in the utterly without question going to happen take back Omega DLC.

Tuchanka/Genophage renegade stuff

Man, I did the paragon thing for my game and it was my favorite moment of the game. Even the terribly dark and downer renegade version is better than the rest of the game. Game needed more Mordin.

Another complaint I have about the game:
I think it's already been mentioned that it feels way more linear, and one of the things is that it feels like the dev team got lazy about having to branch out from your story decisions. Even though my Renegade Shep killed the Rachni Queen, they just replace it with a clone, and go la la la here's the same mission. Balak showed up to give me shit, even though I definitely let him bleed to death on Terra Nova. They made sure to write Anderson stepping down from the Council into cannon books so that you always have Udina on the Citadel. Paragons who blew up the Collector base get the war assets from TIM's base, so there was really no right or wrong way to go about THAT decision at all. I don't know that there is a single *significant* Paragon/Renegade choice that affects ME3 at all.

Man, I did the paragon thing for my game and it was my favorite moment of the game. Even the terribly dark and downer renegade version is better than the rest of the game. Game needed more Mordin.
That scene fucking breaks my heart. I could never do it, not even if I tried forcing myself.

I absolutely hated the ending... it was just so.... BLAH... this was supposed to be the ENDING of a freaking TRILOGY. One that people will go back to like Baldur's Gate or KOTOR and go... this game is this shit.... instead.... when I think of the Mass Effect series I'll think of the massive stain of an ending they hamed out. This is terrible people. TERRIBLE.

I think a lot of people expected a similar structure to the final mission in ME2 but expanded in greater detail. Instead of picking a tech expert to go in the vents, you would get to pick which fleet to attack in space, which army to flank to the right on the ground, which troops to support you in the main push... ect... all those choices we made on who to save, which armies to support, which factions to help would have had an actual impact on the grand final battle on Earth. I would have been happy to see these choices play out with the in-game engine cutscenes, it wouldn't have to be too long, just a couple quick glances back and forth as you push ahead towards the Catalyst. Even just hearing about it on radio chat would have been cool. It's just disappointing that we got so much of the choice stripped away from us in the finale battle.

I was expecting something similar to the Suicide Mission from ME2 but in a more epic scale, a huge all out battle with glorious triumphs and heart wrenching defeats. But nope, we just have to fight tons of waves of brutes and banshees.... in missile defense.

I'll admit the running the the tower part was COOL AS FUCK and the whole Illusive Man section was fine... but seriously.... I felt I played an entire game for a few second cameo references.

Is it just me or does Shepard seem oddly out of character when he accepts that there are only 3 choices to deal with the fate of the galaxy. I'd assume the middle one is only available "for the best ending".... which REALLY ISN'T BTW. I felt like it didn’t matter if you’d saved the Rachni, or managed peace between Geth and Quarians or even had the Turians and Krogan fighting side-by-side.... NOTHING MATTERED as these endings are linear as fuck.... no one dies.... no decisions matter.... it was literally a FPS shooter.

You had three choices. None of them provided closure to what happened to the galaxy, anyone in it or your squad. Checking YouTube all the endings show the same video but the beam that shoots from the Crucible is a different color with a small 20 second cutscene on some planet.

So, I just finished the game.

I'm going to be in the minority, but I enjoyed the ending.

It came completely out of left field, but I still liked it. I expected sheperd to die in the end, and from charging the beam on, I knew it was going to be a one way trip. I chose to take control of the reapers, which I thought to be the best ending, as sheperd could then lead them away back to dark space and let the galaxy continue to live on.

But... here's my interpretation on the ending.

Sheperd died on the citadel, before he was able to fire the crucible. I doubt the crucible even really did anything, as every plan that the alliance had come up with mirrored exactly what the protheans had done, right down to Liara creating beacons for future generations to find. Everything after that point was nothing but a dying hallucination, which is the only reason I can think of as to why the personification of the citadel would be the little boy that haunted sheperd's dreams. (ignoring any Contact bullshit, fuck you Jodie Foster!)

What the fuck is this? It's uncut Anderson's speech at the VERY end of the game.

This shit is fucking KOTOR2 all over again.

And apparently explaining some of the COMPLETE nonsensical shit at the end

There were 3 scenarios that were supposed to play out at the end, in all of them Hammer would assault the beam while the Normandy attacked Harbinger.

Shepard and Anderson reach the conduit first but a husk grabs Anderson and Shepard is warped alone on the Citadel.

Anderson wakes up Shepard, lends him a shoulder and a gun a both limp to reach the beam.

Shepard wakes up all beaten up and bloodied on the battlefield. No survivor around and Shepard limps to the beam alone.

The Normandy is there in all 3 scenarios so Joker can pick up the others.

NO... DO NOT PLAY.... YOUR HEART WILL BE BROKEN... KEEP YOUR ME2 INNOCENCE.
Oh don't worry, as long as ME3 comes with Origin, I'm not touching it. I've been reading up about it on wikis and opening up all the spoiler tabs, just to make sure I won't be tempted to buy the game.

On a happier note, Quarian Infiltrators are fucking amazing at Silver/Gold against Geth. lololol max rank Sabotage.

xUq9t.png

They can try to ignore us but it'll be a big PR problem for them going forth, they have no choice but to make amends for this terrible ending. There are groups trending and pushing for Bioware acknowledgment for a DLC change a la Bethesda did in FO3. 98% of people surveyed who finished the game feel the ending a disappointment, articles are appearing everywhere. Someone at Bioware mentioned they are watching and reading everything and will wait until the end of the month after more people finished the game to comment... this is a bad approach, they should start to make amends immediately.

One thing is for sure, this was the 3rd strike for Bioware for me.

1. Arrival DLC
2. Dragon Age 2
3. Mass Effect 3

This ending is so bad I don't even want to play my 4 other Sheps I had in line and the game has no more replayability except for MP. The game is linear as fuck and your choices don't matter, the same way after playing the new Deus Ex wasn't worth playing more than once.

Generally, it's a good game.... but I expected excellence and nothing less with my choices being important to the ending I choose.

In the end it was all a lie.

Bioware now falls from grace from my top 3 devs to obscurity.

I'll post a full raging review when my disappointment is less seething.

Perfect spoiler music....lol

"Linkin Park went forward in time. Played the trilogy. Got pissed. Went back in time. Made this song."

UGH

There are a few more issues I had with the game, even besides the ending.

T.I.M basically became Saren 2.0, which I felt was a huge waste for him. The only difference between them was Saren was helping as a way to appease the Reapers and save the races into the next cycle, only to end up Indoctrinated, while T.I.M was "helping" them as a way to figure out a method of controlling them, only to end up Indoctrinated. In both stories, it you have full Renegade or Paragon, you can convince the guy to kill himself in the control room of the Citadel.

We had no real ending boss battle. I know it may sound stupid, but I loved the boss battles in ME1 and ME2. The fight with Saren was hectic and crazy, the fight with the human proto-reaper was a nice close to what was happening in ME2. In ME3 we just fight a survival gauntlet until a missile light turns green, then we run up, hit the button, and it's over. The rest is all story, we didn't even get to fight T.I.M. The only boss battle we really had in the game was Lang, and he was about as interesting to fight as a Phantom, I still think he was a pretty weak character to turn into the main combat villain. (There was also that Reaper on Rannoch, though that was pretty much side-step,side-step, lock, side-step, side-step, lock, repeat ad-nausea.)

You know what would have been REALLY cool? Get rid of Lang, make it so based on our choice in the first game involving Kaiden or Ashley, we find out that the one that is killed was also recovered by Cerberus and went through Project Lazarus, only a bit more dirty since they were not as "important", thus they have mostly cybernetics like Lang. It would add a whole new layer as Shepard now has to fight his old friend/lover and can lead to either a final showdown where Shepard is forced to kill them or redeem them. It would have been such a cool twist rather then some random guy we never saw before now.

Funny, the only writers out there that aren't defending Bioware, hell, the only publication that isn't defending Bioware (at least until recently before Kotaku did their series of articles where they about faced against the endings only in the last one) is the only one not beholden to EAs and Activisions for ad dollars. Forbes is the only voice of reason out there that isn't actively mocking people dissatisfied with the ending.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/03/12/bioware-and-ea-respond-to-dlc-controversy/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/03/13/why-fan-service-is-good-business/

And Gabe Newell is a billionaire now? Wow, so pleasing consumers DOES work. Who the fuck would've thought that?

Status
Not open for further replies.