Major Game Series or Genre You Haven't Played

The NBA games . . .

I'd like to say I've never played the Witcher games, but I started to play the second one last week. Not enjoying it.

I can almost say I've never played the Mario games . . . But I can certainly say I've never played all the Nintendo games that seem to have spun off them.

They aren't realistic, the phrase I specifically used was cinematic. This is not realistic military action, it's more like... "Saving Private Ryan" the game. It feels like being immersed in a movie that you participate in. It's still all very linear, scripted, and artificial, but it's well executed.
To put it another way, I'd rather shoot robots and mutants than humans.

I'm surprised so many people haven't played any Call of Duty. There were a few years where the game was the gold standard in immersive first person story telling, coming to its pinnacle with Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. Granted, after that, it fell off a cliff and rapidly became the haven for foulmouthed 12 year olds we all know it to be now. But CoD1 was a cinematic experience that changed gaming, and CoD4 was a mindblowing work of art.
I played through the single player for COD 4. I think it was 4. The one with the controversial airport shooting level.

Eh, it was okay. Cinematic and all that, but it was all set pieces and 'splosions. Couldn't give two shakes of a rats ass about any of the characters or story.

Really, though, most fans of the COD series aren't even in it for the single player. I worked with some guys that were big COD fans and all they went on about was the multiplayer.

They looked at me funny when I was trying to describe great games like Papers, Please. :p

GasBandit

Staff member
I played through the single player for COD 4. I think it was 4. The one with the controversial airport shooting level.

Eh, it was okay. Cinematic and all that, but it was all set pieces and 'splosions. Couldn't give two shakes of a rats ass about any of the characters or story.
That was "Modern Warfare 2" - they changed the naming convention and spun Modern warfare off into its own line after 4 (COD5 was back in WW2 again).

MW2 was the first bump falling down that cliff. It was not nearly as good as 4, but yet still not as bad as what was to come.

No war games, like CoD.
No sports games.
Final Fantasy
EQ
Half-Life
TF2
Pokemon
Diablo
Guild Wars

Yeah there are more, but I can't think of them atm.

Ah. Therefore, I imagine Bully would be on that list, then, too. I fully understand, man.
Actually, Bully is one of the most misunderstood games out there. The point of the game isn't to BE a bully, the point of the game is to FIGHT bullies. The game actively punishes you for bullying behavior.

Actually, Bully is one of the most misunderstood games out there. The point of the game isn't to BE a bully, the point of the game is to FIGHT bullies. The game actively punishes you for bullying behavior.
Oh, I know. It's the general content of the game itself I was referring to.

I will say that Borderlands only really shines when played multiplayer with friends.
Got a chance to play it a bit with one or two friends, but it still didn't really hold my interest. Might try again sometime, I don't know. I don't really have anyone I game with online on any kind of regular basis.

I'm really trying to think of something in a major series or genre I've never played.

The yearly sports games, I guess, Madden/NBA/MLB/etc. I've played NBA Jam, NFL Blitz, and that Ken Griffey baseball game on SNES, though.

I played a little of Metal Gear and MGS1, but never finished them. Same for other games (CoD/Battlefield, Monster Hunter).

Oh, I guess I've never played one of the realistic sim games like Flight Sim, Truck Sim, etc etc.

Yeah, I abandoned my Borderlands 1 playthrough like... I dunno... a quarter of the way into the game? A third? Not sure. It just didn't grab me.

fade

Staff member
Weird. I could've sworn I replied to this, but I don't see it.

Any sports game.
Any MOBA.
I've played quite a bit of WoW, but never played in a group. For the same reasons I don't like MOBAs. If you're not immersed in it and have all the numbers tediously worked out, you won't do well, and then there's stupid ostracizing when that happens.
Most Nintendo games.
Lots of them, really.

Any sports game
Anything online multiplayer, which includes MMORPGs, MOBAs, whatever else there is there
GTA (tried Saint's Row 2, didn't care, so didn't try GTA)
Halo (in fact, any FPS since Marathon Infinity)
Party games (Mario Party and so on)
Anything hand-held (I had a Game Gear for like a year and four games, I barely touched it, it doesn't count)

Really a lot of stuff...

Christ, ain't that the truth. "That colour screen is much much better than the Game Boy's tiny monochrome one", I said... But at what cost? At what cost?!?! Turns out the cost is enough batteries to power Tokyo.

I got rechargeable battery packs that doubled as hand grips for my Game Gear.
I think we ended up getting that eventually because my dad would take it on business trips and lugging batteries around on a plane with all the other shit he had to take with him was a pain.

I have not played a Legend of Zelda game since the original. Does that count? I mean, I technically have played a game in the series, but everyone seems to shit bricks in shock that I haven't played Windwaker or Ocarina of Time or whatever.

Basically anything that started on the Sega Genesis... so no Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Sonic, Toe Jam and Earl, etc...

I have not played a Legend of Zelda game since the original. Does that count? I mean, I technically have played a game in the series, but everyone seems to shit bricks in shock that I haven't played Windwaker or Ocarina of Time or whatever.
I haven't played any since A Link to the Past.

GasBandit

Staff member
what is this electronic witchcraft box jedediah i told you the south field needs plowing stop your devil's communication with that englishe contraption and do your chores

It's OK if you miss out on what's widely considered to be one of the best, if not THE best, video games of all time. :p