[Soccer] Lets talk soccer

For @Bubble181

Soccer is stupid. You play for a half hour longer than most other sports and you're still lucky if you see one shot on goal, let alone a goal itself. The fact that soccer is the most popular sport in most countries that aren't america is undeniable proof that we're the greatest country this world has ever seen.

For @Bubble181

You play for a half hour longer
"half an hour longer than most sports", except handegg, or baseball, right? :p

For @Bubble181
you're still lucky if you see one shot on goal, let alone a goal itself.
I admit there aren't as many goals as, say, basketball, but if you don't see a single goal or shot on goal, you need to watch better teams.

undeniable proof that we're the greatest country this world has ever seen.
Just like the Roman Empire and the German Reich, once upon a time.

I'm not particularly fond of soccer, to be honest; my preferred spectator sport is snooker. That said, hey, Belgium made it to the semi-finals in the U-17! Hurray for us!

Fighting should be allowed in soccer. Get rid of all that silly diving. Don't like a challenge, bust him up! And what's up with not being able to elbow people in the face who have the ball? Jesus, he's right in front of you, just bust his nose and take the damn ball already.

Fighting should be allowed in soccer. Get rid of all that silly diving. Don't like a challenge, bust him up! And what's up with not being able to elbow people in the face who have the ball? Jesus, he's right in front of you, just bust his nose and take the damn ball already.
You're allowed to, you're just not allowed to get caught by the ref, or the camera. Much like blood bowl. At least soccer players don't need to hide in some armor to look tough :p

(As far as team ball sports go, my favorite's probably rugby)

"half an hour longer than most sports", except handegg, or baseball, right? :p
Real football has 60 minutes of gameplay. And even if you want to throw out that "10 minutes" thing, a shitton happens in those 10 minutes. Unlike the 90 minutes of nothingness that is soccer.

I admit there aren't as many goals as, say, basketball, but if you don't see a single goal or shot on goal, you need to watch better teams.
8% of premier league games have no goals.The last 0-0 NFL game was in 1943. Last year there were 13 NHL games with no goals in regulation, 7 of which had a goal in overtime. You don't need to watch basketball to see scoring around here.

Just like the Roman Empire and the German Reich, once upon a time.
Godwin?

I'm not particularly fond of soccer, to be honest; my preferred spectator sport is snooker. That said, hey, Belgium made it to the semi-finals in the U-17! Hurray for us!
I have never heard of snooker. It looks kinda like pool, which is more entertaining than soccer though. So thats cool I suppose.

Anywhom back on topic. Soccer has been perfected in this hemisphere. They play it on ice and call it hockey.

You're allowed to, you're just not allowed to get caught by the ref, or the camera. Much like blood bowl. At least soccer players don't need to hide in some armor to look tough :p

(As far as team ball sports go, my favorite's probably rugby)
Football only has pads because it was under threat of being outlawed since too many people were dying.

Real football has 60 minutes of gameplay. And even if you want to throw out that "10 minutes" thing, a shitton happens in those 10 minutes. Unlike the 90 minutes of nothingness that is soccer.
Handegg matches last for hours. And they seem to go for even longer.

Sure, and how many of those had zero shots on goal? It's not because they had to get rid of goalies for handegg because the fans are too wimpy, that other sports fans can't live with the excitement of almost scoring.

Just pointing out other Greatest Nations on Earth, and how well they endured.

Football only has pads because it was under threat of being outlawed since too many pussies were watching.

If we're talking niche sports that aren't aired much in america, I really enjoy watching darts. ESPN should get the rights to that. It cant be too expensive.

Ok, I know I'm probably going to come to regret this, but can someone explain soccer to me? All I understand about the sport is that only the goalie is supposed to touch the ball with their hands, there's a lot of running around, and even 0 - 0 draws seem to excite some of the most ravenous fans of the sport.

Is there a bigger jackass of a coach/manager in all of sports right now than Jose Mourinho? It's almost sad to see Chelsea fall flat on their faces week after week. And week after week, this guy responds like a child to the media.

Ok, I know I'm probably going to come to regret this, but can someone explain soccer to me? All I understand about the sport is that only the goalie is supposed to touch the ball with their hands, there's a lot of running around, and even 0 - 0 draws seem to excite some of the most ravenous fans of the sport.

--Patrick

--Patrick
Now imagine the entire NFL confined to the boundaries of New York State, with the entire NFC East playing in NYC. That's the scale of the Premiership. Now imagine other NFL-level leagues in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, and Indiana. Those are the other major European leagues.

Niche sports. The Women's Roller Derby (WFTDA) World Finals are going to be on ESPN 3 this weekend! Way more interesting than soccer. ;)

Is there a bigger jackass of a coach/manager in all of sports right now than Jose Mourinho? It's almost sad to see Chelsea fall flat on their faces week after week. And week after week, this guy responds like a child to the media.
There's a theory that he initially acted up in interviews to take the focus off his players, so that they wouldn't feel too much pressure from media scrutiny, and would be given space to improve. Then they didn't improve, so Jose doubled down on his media antics, to the point where he's basically just clowning around now.

Chelsea's meltdown this season is weird though. It's almost as if Eva Carneiro was the only thing holding the team together, and with her gone the players don't feel like playing any more.

Soccer a game so slow moving that 1 person can keep an eye on and officiate 22 players, for ~90 minutes give or take their mood. Stoppage time is the dumbest and most pointless thing in a world where stopwatches exist.

Soccer uses as many officials as hockey.

And as far as the length of the games go, a soccer match has 50% more game time, but takes an hour less to actually play than a football game. That is a point for soccer ( . . . which is as many points as ever get scored in soccer)

One reason why I prefer futsal (and its North American variant, Indoor Soccer) is because the smaller field of play makes for higher scoring games - and the refs can catch much more in the way of infractions.

My biggest beef with soccer is the offside rule. Maybe it's because I learned the offside rule in hockey first, but I still can't figure out if a play is onside or offside, just by looking at it.

One reason why I prefer futsal (and its North American variant, Indoor Soccer) is because the smaller field of play makes for higher scoring games - and the refs can catch much more in the way of infractions.

My biggest beef with soccer is the offside rule. Maybe it's because I learned the offside rule in hockey first, but I still can't figure out if a play is onside or offside, just by looking at it.
It's easy. When the ball is played downfield, the defending players all run upfield and raise their hands. :p

Come on, the offside rule is quite simple... Seeing whether a player is offside, though, is really hard for people who don't watch a lot of football (like me*), actual fans (i.e. 80% of the men in Europe) are brilliant at it. That's mostly because attacking players always go to the limit of the offside.

Re: the overall stuff... Soccer has some absurdities, yeah, but come oon, Handegg is way worse. I think the fact that you prefer a game where nothing is happening half of the time to one that is moving constantly just because of the number of times the teams score must say something about the culture of the US. I don't know what, but it's probably something bad :p

BTW, Covar: Soccer uses 3-4 refs. Also, unlike in other sports the main ref is right there in the middle of the action most of the time so duh, of couse he sees more or less everything. And added time seems a bit silly to me too, but it's not completely arbitrary, it has some rules (tv commenters usually predict how much it will approximately be).

Something that is really stupid is that they don't introduce instant replay, in a sport where a small mistake by the ref can completely overturn the game.

*I really am not a soccer fan, but my local team is one of the best in the world, so I end up watching at least a couple games a year.

my local team is one of the best in the world, so I end up watching at least a couple games a year.
Barcelona, Real, Atletico, Sevilla? They're all good and I don't really have a preference, just wondering where in Spain you are :p

Hey, speaking of soccer, apparently the Belgians are the best in the world right now. :p
Technically, yes. And we're in the top 4 for under 17, too. Neither really means much, though, I wouldn't call us the best team in Europe, let alone the world. Even though a lot of people here seem to really think we "ought" to win the European Championship. High expectations, not entirely founded on reason. Though we do have a pretty good team right now, and I'd think we'd be able to make it to quarter or semi finals, possibly even the final, dependent on the draw.

Barcelona :D
Excellent. You had a spare room to let for free, right? :whistling::D

Technically, yes. And we're in the top 4 for under 17, too. Neither really means much, though, I wouldn't call us the best team in Europe, let alone the world. Even though a lot of people here seem to really think we "ought" to win the European Championship. High expectations, not entirely founded on reason. Though we do have a pretty good team right now, and I'd think we'd be able to make it to quarter or semi finals, possibly even the final, dependent on the draw.
Bit ridiculous how many good players are in the current generation of Belgians though. You guys have a population of, what, 11 million? That's less than Tehran. And yet you could probably put out a first 11 that would probably win three quarters of the domestic leagues in Europe.

Although Eden Hazard is misfiring a bit these days...

Bit ridiculous how many good players are in the current generation of Belgians though. You guys have a population of, what, 11 million? That's less than Tehran. And yet you could probably put out a first 11 that would probably win three quarters of the domestic leagues in Europe.

Although Eden Hazard is misfiring a bit these days...
I could make the - sadly often heard around here - remark that this is "one of the few good things about our ridiculous amount of immigration", but considering half of them are more-than-three-generations-Belgian, I always think that's ridiculous. The sad part is that our players are indeed ridiculously talented at the moment ,but our coach just can't get them to play the way they can and should. Pretty much all of them perform way better in their respective teams than on the national team.

Oh, I definitely prefer a game where the players are constantly in motion. But that game actually has an offside rule that you can understand...

Oh, I definitely prefer a game where the players are constantly in motion. But that game actually has an offside rule that you can understand...
"When the pass leaves the passing player's feet, the receiving player can't be behind the second-to-last defender, including the goal keeper". It's a bloody easy rule. Calling it correctly is often difficult - and the reason there are always at least 2 more refs (or 4), and the reason instant replay needs to be a thing. But the rule itself is easy as pie.