[Soccer] Lets talk soccer

He either needs to retire or at the very least move to another club - see if a change of scenery revitalizes him. Personally I'd like to see him move into international management but he may have to wait until after the next World Cup for the right vacancy to open up. Regardless the only way he shuld still be with Arsenal next season is if they kick him upstairs for a Director of Football type job.

Footballer scores 2 goals, gets Man of the Match award. Then he goes & fucks it up when he thanks one person too many in his after match interview.

St Totteringhams Day cancelled. The annual celebration held by Arsenal fans every year when it becomes mathematically impossible for Tottenham to finish above them in the table was officially cancelled - for the first time since 1995 - after Arsenal's 2-0 defeat today leaves them 17 points behind Tottenham with only 15 points left to play for. And who beat Arsenal to officially cancel St Totteringhams Day? Tottenham. Their fans are delighted. Arsenal fans are distraught. And Arsene Wenger walked out of the post match interview after being asked if Tottenham are now the dominant North London team.

I have a lot of respect for Arsene Wenger. It's no exaggeration to say he revolutionized the English game when he arrived at Arsenal in the mid 90s. His teams, especially the Invincibles of 03-04, could utterly dominate matches, and mixed silky-smooth skills with iron will and strength. The likes of Henry, Bergkamp, and Vieira will be remembered in footballing history as titans. What's more, Wenger had a knack for finding relatively unknown young talent, and developing them into world-class players.

But the rest of the league caught up. Arsenal's style of play was unique in the early 2000s, but by the turn of the decade most other teams were playing that way too. Plus, Arsenal weren't spending as much as the other rich teams in the league, which meant they weren't bringing in the best players, and had to bank on Wenger's ability to develop young talent. Sure, that worked fine a few years ago, but again, the rest of the league caught up. Arsene Wenger's ability to find and develop young players was no longer unique, other teams had great youth setups too, and were also churning out great young talent.

So now we come to Arsenal today. Their squad has few world-class players, because Arsenal have been out-bought and out-developed by other teams. Wenger's tactics and playstyle, seen as so innovative 15 years ago, are now commonplace and easily countered, and Wenger doesn't seem to have any tricks up his sleeve to fix the slump. The players appear demoralized and unmotivated, the fans are split about what should be done, and the team's owners seem content to have the club languish where they are now.

We are almost certainly seeing the end of Wenger's reign at Arsenal. Maybe this season will be his last, maybe next season, it's hard to be sure, but it's increasingly clear that he just doesn't have it any more. And that's hard for me to say, because I remember the awesome Arsenal of decades past, and I don't want him to go out on a low note like this.

Plus, I can't think of any managers who would be obviously better than Arsene Wenger and who would be willing to take over at Arsenal.

So what you're saying is that Arsene Wenger is the Bill Belichick of football?

Or would that be Bill Belichick is the Arsene Wenger of football?

Dave

Staff member
Soccer players cheat constantly. Their rules and refs seem almost as honest as the NBA, which is almost as honest as Pro Wrestling.
I know. I've seen the Fallon d'Floor stuff. I was just trying to get a rise out of our Patriots fans. Or at least a "you're doing the thing again" rating. :)

..."bull". Very good. Almost there.
Next week we'll work on pronouncing "Bhamv" and "mroosc".

:p
For the record it's pronounced mmmrrroosc not mister-oosc.

Yes I know it's a stupid name (even moreso when you know there's a typo in it) & I keep thinking about retiring this account & setting up a new one with a better name but I'm not sure I want to lose my ratings.

For the record it's pronounced mmmrrroosc not mister-oosc.

Yes I know it's a stupid name (even moreso when you know there's a typo in it) & I keep thinking about retiring this account & setting up a new one with a better name but I'm not sure I want to lose my ratings.
Should be morose-k, right? ☺

Should be morose-k, right? ☺
That's pretty close yeah. Essentially I was signing up for another website years ago & it kept refusing to accept my prospective u/names because they were all already taken. In the end I got annoyed and used first initial, middle name, last initial, year of birth. Then I started using that name a few other places online (like here). The typo is that my middle name is Ross not Roos. So emm-ross-k is how I think of it being pronounced.