[Soccer] Lets talk soccer

. . . instant replay needs to be a thing . . .
Nonsense. It's a bloody waste of time. If you think you lose a game on a couple bad calls, you should've been playing better. Besides, there were several bad calls in last week's Panthers/Colts football game that let the Colts come back to tie the game - and instant replay is in football in full force. It'll just drag soccer down.

It also needs to stop being a thing in baseball.

Nonsense. It's a bloody waste of time. If you think you lose a game on a couple bad calls, you should've been playing better. Besides, there were several bad calls in last week's Panthers/Colts football game that let the Colts come back to tie the game - and instant replay is in football in full force. It'll just drag soccer down.

It also needs to stop being a thing in baseball.
There's a difference, though. I've seen matches won on one bad call; especially off side, but also about whether or not it was a goal, or whether or not a tackle was inside the penalty zone. Some form of replay on demand, similar to tennis for example, could help for the worst cases.

"When the pass leaves the passing player's feet, the receiving player can't be behind the second-to-last defender, including the goal keeper". It's a bloody easy rule. Calling it correctly is often difficult - and the reason there are always at least 2 more refs (or 4), and the reason instant replay needs to be a thing. But the rule itself is easy as pie.
Case in point, is Lionel Messi (number 10) offside in this play?

Yeah, but if it was called correctly it wouldn't have counted. When that looks like shitty defensive coverage more than messi doing something unfair.

Yeah, but if it was called correctly it wouldn't have counted. When that looks like shitty defensive coverage more than messi doing something unfair.
It was called correctly. Ball was initially played to 7, who was onside. The defenders misinterpreted the rule and quit on the play.

Like a certain offside call in Colorado with the team in my avatar. Of course, that's why the NHL is now allowing coaches challenges for such plays.

So... Chelsea again.

Jose Mourinho's been sacked for his team playing crap all season. And then, perhaps not coincidentally, Manchester United leaked to the press that Louise van Gaal will have the next two games to show that he should still be the Man United manager. Manchester United's next two games are against Stoke... and Chelsea.

The rumor flying around is that van Gaal's going to get the sack no matter what happens in those next two games, because it's no secret that Mourinho's wanted the Manchester United job for a while now. However, he doesn't want to manage an opposing team against Chelsea right after his dismissal, for various reasons. Thus, he'll only take over after the Chelsea game is over.

Leicester City are PL Champions. Let me repeat that...Leicester City are PL Champions!

5000-1 outsiders at the start of the season, many people's pick to be relegated, with an entire squad costing what the big teams would spend on one player and they just won the whole thing for the first time in their 132 year history.

Wow.

This has been a season of fairy tales. It started out with a racist Thai orgy and actually got even more unbelievable from there.

Dave

Staff member
Well then forget the pictures.[DOUBLEPOST=1462284773,1462284622][/DOUBLEPOST]NSFW link (a few close pictures of the guys - they don't show anything but close enough that it might get attention).

Does NOT mention under-aged girls.

It's possible I'm mixing it up with a different scandal. I just don't want to google "underage orgies" or anything like that.

I'd like to talk about St. Totteringham's Day.

Arsenal FC and Tottenham Hotspur are two football clubs located in north London. Their geographical proximity and a few incidents in their early history have led to an intense rivalry between the two teams and their fans, a rivalry that's existed since the First World War. Their respective fortunes have waxed and waned over the past century, but over the last two decades or so, Arsenal have generally been more successful than Tottenham. Before this season, Arsenal had finished above Tottenham in the league table for twenty consecutive seasons.

Arsenal's fans have invented a holiday called St. Totteringham's Day. St. Totteringham's Day marks the day when Arsenal are mathematically assured of finishing above Tottenham in the league. As a result, St. Totteringham's Day does not fall on any set date, instead it depends on the two teams' relative performances in the league. If Arsenal do well compared to Tottenham, then St. Totteringham's Day would come earlier. There has been a St. Totteringham's Day every year for the past two decades.

This season has been crazy for the Premier League. As already mentioned, Leicester City won the league, a fairy tale that started out with a racist Thai orgy and only got stranger from there. Leicester's success was helped, in part, by the underperformance of the other "big" teams in the Premier League, Arsenal included. Despite Arsenal managing to beat Leicester early on in the season, they fell behind in the League, and instead it was Tottenham that were Leicester's closest opponents in the race for the league title.

Leicester clinched the title last week, with two games to spare. Tottenham lost their second-to-last game in the season, while Arsenal, in third place, managed a draw. This meant that, going into the last game of the season, Tottenham were two points ahead of Arsenal in the table. (For anyone who doesn't know, in the Premier League, you get three points for a win, one for a draw, and zero for a loss) If they managed to win their last game of the season, then they would be assured of finishing ahead of Arsenal, and the twenty-year streak of St. Totteringham's Days would be broken. Tottenham's cause was helped by their last match being against Newcastle, one of the Premier League's bottom teams. Arsenal would be playing Aston Villa, the very bottom team in the league, but that shouldn't matter, because Tottenham, the second-placed team in the league, should have more than enough firepower to beat Newcastle.

The end result? Tottenham lost 5-1 against Newcastle, despite Newcastle having a man sent off. This, coupled with Arsenal's 4-0 win against Aston Villa, meant that St. Totteringham's Day took place again for the twenty first consecutive year.

All Tottenham had to do was win against one of the weakest teams in the league this year. Heck, even a draw might have been enough, depending on Arsenal's result. Instead, they choked in the chokiest way possible. Tottenham fans are weeping in despair. Arsenal fans are drunk with delight. This might be the most delicious St. Totteringham's Day ever, and I'm not even an Arsenal fan.

Last edited:
When Newcastle went up 4-1, this happened...

(this isn't from yesterday, but you can hear the song better on this video)

Chile beat Argentina on penalties to win the Copa America.

And Lionel Messi just retired from the national team.

Hey @Bubble181!

So... Roberto Martinez, eh?
Yeah. Don't ask me why or how this is a good choice. There were candidates who'd, you know, proven they could actually win something. A trainer whose best effort was "not dropping down to second division in the Premier League", and is known for being gullible and naive in his tactics....That's just what we needed.
But hey, no more language issues, 'cause he speaks neither of our two main national languages! Hurray!

At least he'll probably know how to get the best out of Lukaku. And you guys might not win everything, but at least every game will be an exciting high-scoring event.

At least he'll probably know how to get the best out of Lukaku. And you guys might not win everything, but at least every game will be an exciting high-scoring event.
Well, that would be a good start. Our offense is great, our defense sucks monkey balls. A coach who plays offensively may be useful in that sense. Though it still won't help us against the likes of Italy and Wales who put up a decent defense.

This story really hit me. I really don't know why.
Such a disaster is in itself already very tragic, but I think the tragedy is amplified by how their fairy tale was cut short in such an unexpected and senseless way. Chapecoense are a tiny team, from a tiny town, and they were on their way to a continental cup final. They were the lovable underdogs of South American football, and now they're just... gone.

Just like that.