[Movies] Let us rank series of movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is how it will go. You say a list of movies in a series with > or = between them. The best movie goes to the furthest left, the worst to the farthest right. If two movies in a series are dead equal, use = and put the earliest one first. If a movie is WAY better than the one coming, feel free to use several > symbols. Like for example:

The Godfather > The Godfather Part 2 >>>>> The Godfather Part 3

Means I am saying that 1 is better than 2, but 3 is way worse.

You don't have to rank them ONLY with like. Groups of exact sequels. You could do all movies directed by Quentin Tarantino, or all movies starring Will Feral (spelling incorrect on purpose since I'm picturing a guy named Will that is feral and it's funny). Also I'm going to institute a rule that this must have 3 films minimum. No one cares about duologies, nerds.

I think this thread will be fun and inspire discussion. Giddy up. Here's the one I was thinking of when I created this thread:

Lethal Weapon 2 > Lethal Weapon >>>>> Lethal Weapon 4 >> Lethal Weapon 3

also as a another 80s one:

Beverly Hills Cop >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Beverly Hills Cop 2 = Beverly Hills Cop 3

TOS Star Trek Movies

Star Trek 2 (Wrath of Khan) > Star Trek 6 (Undiscovered Country) > Star Trek 4 (Voyage Home) = Star Trek 1 (Motion Picture)> Star Trek 3 (Search for Spock) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>infinity>>>>>> Star Trek 5 (The Final Frontier)

TOS Star Trek Movies

Star Trek 2 > Star Trek 6 > Star Trek 4 > Star Trek 1 > Star Trek 3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>infinity>>>>>> Star Trek 5
I watched two Star Trek movies today, so I should update mine

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan > Star Trek Into Darkness >> Star Trek (2009) >>>> Star Trek First Contact = Star Trek Insurrection >>>>>> Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.

Note, I have seen no other Star Trek films

You are mad.

Next Generation Star Trek Movies

First Contact >>> Generations > Insurrection >>> Nemesis

Maybe I need to rewatch them or something. I barely got any impression from First Contact / Insurrection. They're just weird, decent blurs. And I outright hate ST4

Well, the only two Star Trek movies I would call objectively good are Wrath of Khan and Undiscovered Country (surprise, surprise, directed by the same guy). They're both pretty wonderful in my opinion. Most of the rest (TOS and TNG) range from ok to terrible to utterly unwatchable (Star Trek 5 is mind shatteringly terrible).

The new movies, while enjoyable, are complete dumbshit movies. I loathe Orci and Kurtzman and how fucking stupid everything they touch is.

I'd put The Voyage Home over Undiscovered Country, but I just loved that they were actually able to pull off what is an absolutely stupid idea on paper.

Dave

Staff member
Empire Strikes Back > Star Wars >>> Return of the Jedi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Prequels, all of which are equally filled with suck.

Raiders of the Lost Ark > Last Crusade >>>>>>>>>>>> Temple of Doom

Empire Strikes Back > Star Wars >>> Return of the Jedi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Prequels, all of which are equally filled with suck.
Agreed, BUT I think Revenge of the Sith is on a tier between the originals and the other two prequels. That movie actually had some fuckin gravitas

Superman I >> Superman II >>>>>>> Superman Returns >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Superman III >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

...shit, I think I broke that button trying to get to Superman IV.

Superman I >> Superman II >>>>>>> Superman Returns >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Superman III >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

...shit, I think I broke that button trying to get to Superman IV.
I'd totally flip 1 and 2. Come on, Terrence Stamp as Zod? Plus, the ending where Superman turns back time in the first one was just stupid. I will concede there was the stupid magic amnesia kiss in the second one.

I've only seen one version of Superman 2 and it was silly, he was throwing magic shields around from his chest. I know there's like 1200 different cuts of the movie.

I've only seen one version of Superman 2 and it was silly, he was throwing magic shields around from his chest. I know there's like 1200 different cuts of the movie.
He did that once, and yes, it was the biggest WTF moment of the movie, but still not as dumb as turning back time by flying fast around the world. It's the first movie that has multiple cuts.

I'd totally flip 1 and 2. Come on, Terrence Stamp as Zod? Plus, the ending where Superman turns back time in the first one was just stupid. I will concede there was the stupid magic amnesia kiss in the second one.
If it didn't have all the cheesy comedy stuff forced in by the director that replaced Richard Donner, I'd agree. I'll take going back in time at super-speed (not turning back time) over the giant S tarp any day.

Though I will concede that II has my absolute favourite movie moment of all time:

[DOUBLEPOST=1368937234][/DOUBLEPOST]Dammit, that's it. I'm watching all 5 of them this week on my days off in preparation for the upcoming Man of Steel.

Charlie Don't Surf, you wanna join in on this and watch the original 4 for the first time?

If it didn't have all the cheesy comedy stuff forced in by the director that replaced Richard Donner, I'd agree. I'll take going back in time at super-speed (not turning back time) over the giant S tarp any day.

Though I will concede that II has my absolute favourite movie moment of all time:

[DOUBLEPOST=1368937234][/DOUBLEPOST]Dammit, that's it. I'm watching all 5 of them this week on my days off in preparation for the upcoming Man of Steel.

Charlie Don't Surf, you wanna join in on this and watch the original 4 for the first time?
He literally turns back time, They even show reverse footage of all the damage being undone. Plus it started this whole Lex Luthor does nothing but schemes to acquire property thing. The Kryptonians were far better villains. The S shield thing is a few seconds of throwaway WTFery, but the time thing is a major plot point.

All that being said, I want to make it clear that they are both probably the best superhero movies made so far, IMO.

Shrek=Shrek2>That awesome 3-D special at Universal studios>Christmas Special>Shrek4>>>Shrek 3.

Now while its at the bottom of the list, I will admit I don't hate Shrek 3. If its on TV and theres nothing on and I don't bring forth the energy to press the On Demand or PS3 on button, I'll give it a watch. But still, the plot compared to the first 2 did not have that much meat to it at all, whole thing felt haphazard. Shrek 4 while not as funny as the first two, definitely had a more interesting plot and Rumpelstiltskin was okay though I still have some reservations with the performance. It felt both underplayed and over the top at the same time.

You couldn't pay me to watch 3 or 4 again.
3 wasn't a good movie, but for some reason, when the sister gets turned into a robot, I had nightmares about that robot for weeks after watching it. I don't know why, but it terrified me.

Superman 3's only saving grace was the whole evil Superman persona bit. If the movie had focused more on that, it might've been much better. MAYBE.

Also, as much as I do love Superman II, Bowielee, the first has that amazing helicopter sequence. Nothing, in my mind, beats out "You've got me? W-who's got you?!" But as you said yourself, they're both great movie. To prefer one over the other isn't a crime worth throwing someone in the Phantom Zone. :p

3 wasn't a good movie, but for some reason, when the sister gets turned into a robot, I had nightmares about that robot for weeks after watching it. I don't know why, but it terrified me.
Yup, still nightmare fuel...

I got the creeps just watching this clip again.

I should also say that, while I have a total soft spot for them, I don't think the Christopher Reeve movies have held up well to time.

I should also say that, while I have a total soft spot for them, I don't think the Christopher Reeve movies have held up well to time.
Besides some outdated special effects, I still think they hold up extremely well. They have a reverence for the source material, they're fun to watch, and for DC movies, perfectly captures the feeling of the universe. The long held difference I've always seen between the DC and Marvel universes is that DC is where heroes are Iconic, where as the Marvel univers is more about fallible humanistic characters. There's some bleed over between the two, but for the most part, they have a certain feel that makes them different as a whole body of work. I think the original 2 Superman movies really captured that feeling. While I love the Nolan Batman movies, I think they don't fit as well in the DC universe as a whole. It's one of the reason the Nolanverse would never fit in with a Justice League movie.

OH MY GOD. I thought I was the only one. Granted, I was a little kid at the time, but still. That shit was terrifying when you're young.[DOUBLEPOST=1368940082][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, The Bourne Identity > The Bourne Supremacy = The Bourne Ultimatum >>>>>>> The Bourne Legacy.

Ocean's 11 >> Ocean's 12 >>>>>>>>>>>>> Ocean's 13.

Status
Not open for further replies.