Krisken's art stuff, previously all 40k miniatures

Apparently you can counts as all you want, the characters are just locked into their chapter tactics so that guy from 40K Radio was just off in the information he was peddling. Isn't that the way it always was?

Man, if only assault weren't completely worthless against, what I'm finding, is the near invincible Tau (three of the 6 other guys in my smallish group of dudes who play play Tau, did before the 6th codex so they suffered the long years of out of date codex) or the Raven Guard chapter tactics would be amazing.

12:30 into this 600000 point apocalypse game. It's not a miniature game anymore at this point.

Ha ha ha, one of them goes up in nuclear fire in the first turn and does a 45 inch sD hit on everything around it.

Zappit

Staff member
Apparently you can counts as all you want, the characters are just locked into their chapter tactics so that guy from 40K Radio was just off in the information he was peddling. Isn't that the way it always was?

Man, if only assault weren't completely worthless against, what I'm finding, is the near invincible Tau (three of the 6 other guys in my smallish group of dudes who play play Tau, did before the 6th codex so they suffered the long years of out of date codex) or the Raven Guard chapter tactics would be amazing.
I might just have to give my custom chapter some more love. I was going to focus on my Chaos Marines more now that I nailed down my general approach. None of the new models blew me away, so that would just involve tweaking the list and painting the little bastards.

Ok, listened to 40k Radio's rumors and if they are spot on I am going to be super annoyed. If the Chaos book was half as cool as this is sounding, Chaos players would have had a farking field day.

Zappit

Staff member
Ok, listened to 40k Radio's rumors and if they are spot on I am going to be super annoyed. If the Chaos book was half as cool as this is sounding, Chaos players would have had a farking field day.
Don't I know. The tactics Chaos players run now just don't work. Zombie armies aren't solid enough to seize objectives. Hellturkey spam isn't going to win, even abusing the Black Legion ally FOC adjustments.

I do believe I've put together a list that should be fun, though. Slaanesh door prince. Forgefiend and Maulerfiend. Biker squad. Raptor squad built to hunt heavy infantry. Two big marine blobs to seize objectives or take the midfield. Cultist cluster to meat shield for whatever. I figure the Mauler and Prince will draw fire, opening up my other fast units to run roughshod. Not great against gun lines and campers.

But seriously, we couldn't get Legion Tactics? We get fluff about all the different Legions and rogue chapters, but no rules to go with them? It's going to start making more sense to run CSM using the Marine Codex. Iron Warriors using Iron Hands rules? Getting serious Heavy Support using that Ultramarine Devastator oath thing? Word Bearers using Black Templar rules? Night Lords running Raven Guard rules?

Really, what would Chaos lose doing this? Mutilators? Please. Warp Talons? We don't touch them as is. The Daemon engines? They're a bit overpriced, and that WS/BS of 3 doesn't do them any favors. The only thing we'd really lose is the Hellturkey. Chaos would love better, cheaper Land Raiders, ATSKNF, Drop Pods...I might just wind up doing that now. Honest to God, it seems a better way to make Chaos more effective.

I've been reading about how offputting to women the game is based mostly around how other than the very neglected Sisters of Battle (they don't sell so we don't support them, we don't support them so they don't sell. Also, fuck you, 3 models for 20 bucks in a codex that allows for 20 of said model in a unit, fuck right off) and a couple of Eldar units, the game revolves entirely around men.

Here's my thought on a way they could help alleviate this some, make mixed sex Imperial Guard sprues. Seriously, shouldn't the IG have women in their ranks? Would it be that big a deal?

I
Here's my thought on a way they could help alleviate this some, make mixed sex Imperial Guard sprues. Seriously, shouldn't the IG have women in their ranks? Would it be that big a deal?
The Imperial Guard and Adeptus Mechanis DO have women in their ranks, according to the literature from the Black Library. Some units are mixed, others are segregated, but there is no real difference between the two as far as the Guard is concerned. That they haven't made female models widely available is simply Games Workshop being Games Workshop.

The Imperial Guard and Adeptus Mechanis DO have women in their ranks, according to the literature from the Black Library. Some units are mixed, others are segregated, but there is no real difference between the two as far as the Guard is concerned. That they haven't made female models widely available is simply Games Workshop being Games Workshop.
Yeah, I'm quite aware, those questions were mainly rhetorical.

I know two women who are beginning to dabble in the game (a fucking record I think). One wants to go Imperial Guard and the other is beginning to buy Dark Eldar stuff. Catering to women at least a tiny God damn bit can do nothing but add to their playerbase. Something they need to think about doing, seeing as they're not getting any new ones.

Zappit

Staff member
Matt Ward has done nothing to improve gender relations. In the Grey Knight codex, he has a story about how the GKs, who are already immune to demonic corruption, joined some sisters against a Bloodthirster, slaughtered them, and used their blood as armor paint to ward off demonic corruption. What. The. Fuck.

I know two women who are beginning to dabble in the game (a fucking record I think). One wants to go Imperial Guard and the other is beginning to buy Dark Eldar stuff. Catering to women at least a tiny God damn bit can do nothing but add to their playerbase. Something they need to think about doing, seeing as they're not getting any new ones.
While I don't play WH or WH40K myself (anymore), I'm still active in a player group - I just only concern myself with the board and tabletop games. Miniatures and CCGs were too time- and money-intensive for me to keep up.

Anyway, I see lots of women flocking in these days. 8 or 10 years ago, there were 2 or 3 girls in the group, and they were all girlfriend-of's. Now, women are the majority of the group. However, they stick almost exclusively to board and tabletop RPG games for the moment. There're some CCGs that appeal to them, but even so, more despite than because of mechanics. Miniatures? Nope. None. (I assume you're not counting Blood Bowl as miniatures - that's a board game :p)
I'm convinced that catering more to them and having more female characters etc available (and NOT in the stereotypical nurse or witch roles) would help a bit. On the other hand, I think it'll be at least another 10 or 20 years before we've evolved enough culturally.
To explain myself, just look at RTSs, TBSs, and sports games on the computer and console. Heck, even war-like board games. They're all thematically similar to miniature games (most are war games after all), and they all have distinctly more male (I really can't use the word masculine here, sorry :p) player bases than board games based more on construction, cooperation, or other things. I don't want to be the misogynist claiming "women only like games like the Sims", because that's very much not true. However, women in general are less interested in war and direct combat games, and seem to be more into the managerial aspects of games (compare and contrast user base numbers for Fifa vs Fifa Manager - the second has a LOT more female fans, despite being pretty much a number cruncher) and cooperation. I'm not claiming this as some sort of biological imperative - we've all been conditioned from a very early age into certain roles in society.
So, I don't think women would suddenly flock to WH or WH40K if there were some more feminine characters. I do think that, with women exploring more and more parts of geek subculture and being more and more accepted in it, some types of misogynist nerds - and the ones afraid of women, etc - are looking for ever new subsubgroups to cluster around in and band together. Jocks can go play football with no women around; nerds used to be able to play a computer game or a role playing game without women - the latter isn't true anymore. If Game Workshop wants to cater to the misogynist dipshit minority group, that's their choice - it'll just mean WH(40K) will lose relevance as a game as women become an ever increasing part of nerd culture.

Lots of women play board/tabletop games, lots of women play stuff like Magic (the only CCG that merits mentioning based on sales), fuckin' no women play Warhammer products. It isn't just about making some not naked female models, which they have in Sisters of Battle, which they refuse to release in any sort of reasonable fashion but it sure can't hurt.

Matt Ward has done nothing to improve gender relations. In the Grey Knight codex, he has a story about how the GKs, who are already immune to demonic corruption, joined some sisters against a Bloodthirster, slaughtered them, and used their blood as armor paint to ward off demonic corruption. What. The. Fuck.
I was actually just reading about that. Not surprising based on how awful the GK fluff is in general.

Alright, I was looking at an old Space Marine codex from 1999 and I noticed the predators/rhinos/razorbacks all looked different. Huh, I thought, I thought they mostly reused these models throughout the ages. Low and behold, the old Razorback was actually better looking than the modern one. What the hell?

NEW

OLD
Razorback.jpg

I guess the modern rhino chassis has more details, but that marine manned turret is leagues better than the current autoturret.

I guess the modern rhino chassis has more details, but that marine manned turret is leagues better than the current autoturret.
It also makes zero sense, when you consider the manned turret is already being phased out of designs we use today. The battle of Fallujah showed the US military that exposed turrets are basically worthless when exposed to any kind of large volume of fire (as well as that storing extra ammo OUTSIDE the tank is incredibly stupid). We're already working on remote operated versions.

Basically, it may look cool, but it's kinda stupid with the technology they should have at that point.

It also makes zero sense, when you consider the manned turret is already being phased out of designs we use today. The battle of Fallujah showed the US military that exposed turrets are basically worthless when exposed to any kind of large volume of fire (as well as that storing extra ammo OUTSIDE the tank is incredibly stupid). We're already working on remote operated versions.

Basically, it may look cool, but it's kinda stupid with the technology they should have at that point.
You gonna argue realism in a universe where 90% of tanks have sponsons?

And magic. Just because they call them Psychers doesn't mean they aren't freaking mages.

I think some aspects were better in the old one, but I think a lot has improved. The wheels and treads are a big improvement looks-wise over the old models.

Yeah, but you have to admit the lights and hatches look a lot better on the new one. I like the old one simply because it is SUPER easy to make.

The details on the new one are definitely superior. I've never built either so I have no experience there (THOUGH I MIGHT SOOOOON). I still like the large manned turret on the old one (though it admittedly doesn't leave much space for a pintle mounted gun).

I have to admit I like the redesign of the Rhino/Razorback. I also think the new predator tank looks way better (as it uses the same platform).

Well, considering Space Marines FINALLY have their own super heavy tank now in Imperial Armour Apocalypse, who needs preds amirite?

[DOUBLEPOST=1377791716,1377791686][/DOUBLEPOST]
I have to admit I like the redesign of the Rhino/Razorback. I also think the new predator tank looks way better (as it uses the same platform).
I don't like that ALL of the space marine vehicles (save the Raider) use the same chassis.

What... I've never seen that big assed tank before. What is it?

The shared chassis does make sense though if you look at the whole Standard Template Construct thingy that the Adeptus Mechanicus use to make vehicles and the like (plus the predator is a pretty poorly armoured tank which kind of fits the whole "we'll just stick some extra armour on a rhino and call it a day" mentality).

It's a Fellblade, an advanced Legion variant on the 90000 Baneblade variants, normally it's only been in rules for Heresy era stuff but in the brand new Imperial Armour Apocalypse, it's finally listed for present 40K Space Marine armies. In the little fluff thing it says that only a few chapters still have working models as the Mechanicum have long forgotten how they work usual dark age blah blah technology malarky.

Of course the damn thing is like 155 pounds so it's....prohibitively expensive.

Last edited:
Just dropped a pre-order on a bunch of Space Marine stuff. Ended up paying about 40% less than the ludicrous Canadian prices thanks to Ebay discounters (with exceptional feedback) that ignore the whole no shipping outside their own country nonsense. As much as I'd like to support my FLGS, the GW price is just too steep.

Zappit

Staff member
Just dropped a pre-order on a bunch of Space Marine stuff. Ended up paying about 40% less than the ludicrous Canadian prices thanks to Ebay discounters (with exceptional feedback) that ignore the whole no shipping outside their own country nonsense. As much as I'd like to support my FLGS, the GW price is just too steep.
Whatcha get? I'm planning on scooping up a couple Sternguard kits. I've got an couple extra Tac sprues, so I should be able to stretch a Stern kit into a full ten dudes.

Read the new White Dwarf. The Centurions absolutely WRECK armored infantry. They basically wiped out a squad every turn for the first three turns. There's a Grav Cannon option that lets them re-roll To Wounds. Hate to say it, but looking over the options they have available, I'm sold. The report also talked about the new anti-air. If you take the one with the big missile launcher, you get a neat effect. If you miss, you roll at the beginning of each turn. If you get a five or six, the missle hits the rear armor of that flyer. Seeker missiles. Downside is the anti-air tanks can only fire at air. They're terrifically effective at it, but if your opponent doesn't take much (or any) flyers, it's useless.

2 sternguards, 1 centurion, 1 stalker, 2 tacs, codex

Yeah, guys I play with don't use a lot of flyers but it'll be a nice fuck off to the dude I know who always uses 3 helldrakes.

Practice for creating collapseable terrain. I hate how much room my terrain took up, so I'm trying to find a way to have a board's worth of terrain that takes up a small box worth of space but still looks decent.

So, I read the first Horus Heresy novel and I really liked it. Then, apparently, I also read that it's because Dan Abnett is a competent author (which so far, I can atest to) and any time he isn't writing them, the series takes a quality nosedive.

Sadface.

I dont think that's entirely accurate. In fact Prospero Burns and Thousand Sons are probably my two favorite books in the series thus far and only ONE of them is written by Abnett!

There are some weaker books, but on the whole, most of them are really interesting.

I believe Thousand Suns was written, or at least co-written, by Graham McNeil. Our podcast/website has a new contributor who's apparently friends with him and says he's lined up a written interview it him for our site. That's pretty cool in my book.

No idea on the ETA of that, though.