IT's FRRIIIIIDDDAAAAYYYYY

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a bit (a lot) foolish to give away all your money. Especially when you will never see that type of cash again. Be generous but not stoopid.

It is a bit (a lot) foolish to give away all your money. Especially when you will never see that type of cash again. Be generous but not stoopid.
It's not like she's giving away all the money she had. She's just giving the money made from a frivolous song to a more worthy cause. That's not foolish at all.

Imagine ten years from now, and you are the lucky dude to marry her, only to learn that she was at one time Robin Sprinkles... and that she has no money left from that accidental fame...

At least she would not have spent it all on Blow... I am looking at you Lindsy Lohan...

Imagine ten years from now, and you are the lucky dude to marry her, only to learn that she was at one time Robin Sprinkles... and that she has no money left from that accidental fame...

At least she would not have spent it all on Blow... I am looking at you Lindsy Lohan...
HAHA! Holy shit, she is SO a Robin Sparkles (FTFY) kinda thing! I can't imagine she'll look back on this with pride, LMAO, that was awesome.

She was on Leno last night. Apparently she's already made over a million dollars on iTunes from the song, but she's going to donate all the proceeds she makes to Japan and her school.

Sure, the song is complete crap, but the girl is 13 years old and seems to have an unexpectedly excellent perspective on the whole situation. She said the worst part of the whole thing were all the negative comments ripping on her personally, because she's 13 and really cares what everyone thinks about her.

I heard her parents are rich as fuck, so the money doesn't even matter. It's nice that she's donating the money like that though.

fade

Staff member
I just actually listened to the whole song, and while it's not great, it doesn't seem any worse than your typical Disney Channel/Nickelodeon teen band. Not sure why she's catching so much more flak.

figmentPez

Staff member
I just actually listened to the whole song, and while it's not great, it doesn't seem any worse than your typical Disney Channel/Nickelodeon teen band. Not sure why she's catching so much more flak.
I don't agree. I can sit through a Miley Cyrus or Selena Gomez song. I might get bored but I'll just ignore it. If "Friday" came on in an ad break during Phineas & Ferb, I'd scramble for the remote to change the channel.

Disney actually screens their talent for... good singers. Say what you will about Hanna Montana, in the end she's a good singer. Rebecca Black can't sing worth a darn, and she's making 25k a week for it. She's akin to William Hung, except he realized his singing sucked. She's a 13 year old girl who's being spoonfed horseshit by her parents and that label company. I think that's the worst of it.

That and I'm pissed that in over a month, she'll make more money than I do in a year for being a dumbass.

fade

Staff member
I honestly can't hear much difference between this and Victoria Justice or Big Time Rush. Sure, she's not quite as polished, but I don't think she has the pre-song grooming/training and the post-processing those guys have either.
Added at: 21:14
(to be clear, I don't like any of them. I just don't think she's significantly worse.)

I have some sort of masochistic urge to play the Friday video every time someone posts it. I have no idea why I do this to myself.

Also, the Bob Dylan version actually sounds kinda cool.

I have to agree. Yeah, the song is vapid in nature; she sounds like a teenage version of Fran Dreschler; the video makes no sense, especially in light of her age (a party at a friend's house on Friday?). But it's no worse than all the crap that's come floating out of the music industry over the last four-five decades.

Cajungal

Staff member
I think the biggest problem isn't that she has less talent than most teeny-bopper cash cow hopefuls. It's that the production values are a lot worse. Most singers like her have their voices touched up, but the way they did hers is awful. Same goes with the video. But her voice is still awful.

But it's just a vanity project. Her parents paid money to get her in a video with her singing. I doubt anyone involved thought she would get this much attention, so there was no reason to worry about polish or quality (from the producers). The kid got what she wanted, but then the whole internet came crashing down on her head. I think what we should really be critical of is the company peddling this crap and taking advantage of dumb kids' hunger for fame/attention.

Cajungal

Staff member
Oh, is that how this got made?

And yes I agree with you, Tress. Everyone wants to be famous, and so few people who get there deserve it. It's really best not to encourage people who haven't done the work and delivered something worthwhile. But that's not going to change any time soon.

I am always amazed every time they come out with a study that examines how the younger generation equates being famous with being successful. To them, it doesn't matter how or why. All that matters is how many people know their name. The company that made this song and video ("Ark Music Factory") are taking advantage of that. I guess I can't blame them. They're providing a product that is in demand even if it's a shitty product. I just hate that companies like that can profit off dumb kids and their overindulgent parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.