It Was Going to Happen Eventually - Westboro Baptists Drive-by Pepper Spray Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.
It Was Going to Happen Eventually - Westboro Baptists Drive-by Pepper Spray Targe

What the hell are these protestors thinking?!

It Was Going to Happen Eventually - Westboro Baptists Drive-by Pepper Spray Targe

Much as I despise the WBC scum, that guy was massively out of line and could have really hurt people if he'd actually, y'know hit someone with the spray, to say nothing of his truck (since I assume that he must have been driving pretty darn close).

At least his act had some rational logic to it.

M

Matt²

What the hell are these protestors thinking?!
"How can we piss people off, antagonize a fight, and then sue them for a lot of money once they attack us?"

The answer: "Pretend to be Bible based christians hellbent [sic] on re-establishing 'God's Kingdom' here on earth in the good old US of A, including using fire and brimstone tactics from the 1930s"

I hate it when people use the first Amendment as a way to push their agenda of hate, masked behind social/political/religious froufala. It's the same as someone skirting the absolute edge of the requirements of a statute, or when dirties know JUUUUUUST how far they can push things before they get themselves into felony territory.

Voltaire may have put it best with "I may not agree with what you're saying, but I will defend to the death your right to say it," but I seriously doubt he had this in mind when he penned that. *headwheel*

That said, yeah, the guy was out of line, and he walked right into the trap that the hellbitch Phelps-Roper lays for people.

Roll on, Patriot Guardsmen, for staying out of the fray, and turning their backs to the filth.

W

Wasabi Poptart

The guy was out of line. It's probably what affected his aim. Think about the people he could have hurt? Think about the families who have to deal with Reverend Fuckhead and his merry band of douchebags while they are burying their loved one who served this country so they can "protest". Too bad you can't get a scope on a can of mace.

Dave

Staff member

I know the guy. He's weird.

This doesn't surprise me in the least.

Voltaire may have put it best with "I may not agree with what you're saying, but I will defend to the death your right to say it," but I seriously doubt he had this in mind when he penned that.
Wrongly attributed to Voltaire, he never said that. It was Evelyn Hall (Evelyn Beatrice Hall - Wikipedia) though she was describing him when she wrote that.[/QUOTE]

I stand educated! *smiles* Thanks for clarifying!

All things considered I am glad no one was hurt. Those Westboros just seem to me like they are begging to have one of their number become a martyr. That is the last thing we need backing up religious clad hate-speech.

North_Ranger

Staff member

He should have thrown banana cream pies.

C

Chibibar

You know, I'm all about the right to protest and all that (part of our first amendment right) but at a funeral? I mean that is pretty low. WBC are pretty crazy folks IMO and they can do what they believe in, but I think there should be a law that you can't protest at someone's funeral.

Would it be assault if a dozen cross-dressing males junped out of a van and sprayed them all with silly string?

Dave

Staff member

The WBC people were complaining that the Omaha police didn't do enough to protect them. So what this dumbass did was to give them an excuse to sue the city, him and probably the makers of the industrial strength mace.

This is why you don't do anything against them.

You know, I'm all about the right to protest and all that (part of our first amendment right) but at a funeral? I mean that is pretty low. WBC are pretty crazy folks IMO and they can do what they believe in, but I think there should be a law that you can't protest at someone's funeral.
It's difficult, because cemeteries are usually publicly-owned, and people can get pretty loud before they actually violate public nuisance/noise laws. I imagine that the WBCers make a point of going to funerals that are on public land in jurisdictions where they can make the biggest spectacles of themselves because of the layout without getting in trouble.

The WBC people were complaining that the Omaha police didn't do enough to protect them. So what this dumbass did was to give them an excuse to sue the city, him and probably the makers of the industrial strength mace.

I find it insulting that they will go to a funeral like this with the express intent to harass and upset those involved... and then have the gall to say the police didn't do enough to protect them. Seriously, I hope that giant fissure opens up in the earth and swallows the entire Westboro Church compound whole taking all of it's filth, hate and intolerance with it.

Every time I hear about these people, I wish someone would actually refer them to the Bible they so claim to represent.

John 3:17 - "God sent his Son into the world, not to condemn the world, but to save the world."

C

Chibibar

I find it insulting that they will go to a funeral like this with the express intent to harass and upset those involved... and then have the gall to say the police didn't do enough to protect them. Seriously, I hope that giant fissure opens up in the earth and swallows the entire Westboro Church compound whole taking all of it's filth, hate and intolerance with it.[/QUOTE]
heh.. they might try to sue God ;)

Every time I hear about these people, I wish someone would actually refer them to the Bible they so claim to represent.

John 3:17 - "God sent his Son into the world, not to condemn the world, but to save the world."
This is what they think saving means. "Embrace Jesus or you're worthless scum."[/QUOTE]

True Pharisees of the modern world. Get so caught up in enforcing and belittling others on strict interpretation of specific passages in the Bible that they miss the big picture and make the entire religion look bad.

Ross

Staff member

Replace "pepper spraying" with "shooting" and "failed" with "succeeded" and "threaten to sue" with "they can't sue because they're all dead," then it would be a great article.

Or if WBC would just stfu and go away, that would work, too.

Dave

Staff member

Replace "pepper spraying" with "shooting" and "failed" with "succeeded" and "threaten to sue" with "they can't sue because they're all dead," then it would be a great article.

They have every right to protest and say any damned fool thing they want without fear of reprisal. I so very, very much disagree with you on this. They are reprehensible but that doesn't mean they should die.

Ross

Staff member

They have every right to protest and say any damned fool thing they want without fear of reprisal. I so very, very much disagree with you on this. They are reprehensible but that doesn't mean they should die.[/QUOTE]
I didn't say that they SHOULD die, just that it was one possible solution. I also offer up an alternative solution.

They're assholes in my book. BIG assholes. Like, goatse. The world would be better off without them, IMO. Here's my gripe: It's not about their freedom of speech, it's about being kind to others. Does a family mourning over an innocent person's death deserve the ridicule of a crowd of people? (that's a rhetorical question)

GasBandit

Staff member

I don't see why they should be able to sue. It isn't the police's job to bodyguard. They investigate crimes ex post facto. The police don't stop you from robbing a bank, they catch the robbers AFTER the robbery.

You know, every time I hear about the WBC I feel like forming some chaser group, where all we do is find out where the WBC is going to head next, bring a bunch of stock "silly" signs, and then just kind of weasel into the protest holding up the signs to block the view of the WBC. We would always place ourselves between the WBC and the people they are protesting, and throw up music depending on the situation to drown out the hate speech.

C

Chibibar

You know, every time I hear about the WBC I feel like forming some chaser group, where all we do is find out where the WBC is going to head next, bring a bunch of stock "silly" signs, and then just kind of weasel into the protest holding up the signs to block the view of the WBC. We would always place ourselves between the WBC and the people they are protesting, and throw up music depending on the situation to drown out the hate speech.
The Patriot Guards do just that (Home)

edit: OC corrected. I mean the Patriot Guards protect the family and act as a shield but don't mess with WBC :)

The Patriot Guard stands vigil, silently, carrying flags and shielding the family's view of these reprobates. They don't shout, play music, or disrupt. They stand respectful. It's what is required at a funeral. My mother is a very active member in north Alabama, and now that my father's back home, I see him taking an active part, too. Had I my bike, I would be doing it here, too.

Like Dave said, they lie waiting, like a spider or an anglerfish, waiting for someone to fall into their trap and strike out at them, because they abuse the protections of the law and skirt legality. Most cemetaries are not considered public property, but private with a grant given to the public to visit (It's the same thing as a city park, which is why the municipality can set visiting hours, or ban someone from it.) Many times, the WBC will not actually enter the cemetary, or be anything other than a nagging visual canker sore, right at the edge of 500 feet, or whatever the local boundary required is (In Georgia, we have a state code preventing disruptive behavior at a funeral, within 500 feet of proceedings.)

They are disgusting, abhorrent abominations, but they have the right to voice their opinion. I just wish that they wouldn't do it where one of my brothers or sisters is being mourned by a loving family.

C

Chibibar

They are disgusting, abhorrent abominations, but they have the right to voice their opinion. I just wish that they wouldn't do it where one of my brothers or sisters is being mourned by a loving family.
I agree. What hurts my head sometimes that I don't agree with WBC methods, but to me, these scums are protesting the very people who are willing to give up their lives and DID to protect the rights of every citizen of the U.S. The WBC should at LEAST give these men and women respect they deserve for their service, but I guess intelligence has left their genes.

W

Wasabi Poptart

Honestly, it gets them publicity. That's the main reason why they protest at military funerals, IMO. And if you think about it, since they are getting news coverage and making tongues wag over their methods, they might be pretty intelligent after all.

I'd still like to set them all on fire though.

I don't know, Shegs. I still think even with all that flavoring that they would leave a pretty nasty aftertaste. And just think of all that gas afterwards, ugh!

If setting something on fire doesn't solve the problem you are not using enough fire.

Oh ugh no, I wouldn't eat them. I'd feed them to the KKK.

If setting something on fire doesn't solve the problem you are not using enough fire.
I like this bear. Have I mentioned that? This bear is alright by me.

Status
Not open for further replies.