It Was Going to Happen Eventually - Westboro Baptists Drive-by Pepper Spray Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.
It Was Going to Happen Eventually - Westboro Baptists Drive-by Pepper Spray Targe

Why did a cold wash of fear and dread suddenly go all the way to my bear-bits?

It Was Going to Happen Eventually - Westboro Baptists Drive-by Pepper Spray Targe

I don't understand how American society tolerates people disturbing the peace that way. You have to be quite the douche to go out in cemeteries and harass people mourning like that. Americans seem to be so far up their collective asses with their god-given rights that everything is a mish-mash of a reaction of a reaction with people unable to cope with the repercussion of their sheer original idiocy on something they fully didn't understand or fully appreciate. Honestly, these stories are pretty pathetic to read. Not saying Canada can be better, especially after the retardation that happened at the last summit but somewhere people don't seem to understand that they caused this reaction. Where does it state they can harass other people in their lives like that? Common sense would be to lock them up.

I don't understand how American society tolerates people disturbing the peace that way. You have to be quite the douche to go out in cemeteries and harass people mourning like that. Americans seem to be so far up their collective asses with their god-given rights that everything is a mish-mash of a reaction of a reaction with people unable to cope with the repercussion of their sheer original idiocy on something they fully didn't understand or fully appreciate. Honestly, these stories are pretty pathetic to read. Not saying Canada can be better, especially after the retardation that happened at the last summit but somewhere people don't seem to understand that they caused this reaction. Where does it state they can harass other people in their lives like that? Common sense would be to lock them up.
Just speaking my own point of view, its a twisted sort of patriotism mixed with nationalism. As ignorant as we are as a country we have it hammered in to us at an early age in school we have far more rights and freedoms than many other places in the world. That has lead to a society that tolerates abuse of those rights because it is one of our sacred cows to not revoke them.

Well that's my opinion at least.

Now does that mean I condone what these asshats do? Not one bit. Do I accept it's their right to do it? Yes. But it is also my right to verbally condem their actions and mock them mercilessly.

The first amendment gives one the right to peacefully assemble. As disgusting and distasteful as the WBC is, until they call for violence or engage in violent acts they have every right to do what they do.

Does "peacefully assemble" also include shouting obsenities to other people and have signs created for the purpose of causing conflict?

North_Ranger

Staff member

You know what would be cool? Opening a gay bar right outside where the WBC people live ;)

Does "peacefully assemble" also include shouting obsenities to other people and have signs created for the purpose of causing conflict?
Different local jurisdictions have different levels of "acceptable" when it comes to obscenities, but generally speaking fighting words need to be in close (500 feet away doesn't really count), and "causing conflict" is not enough, it has to be deliberately inciting imminent violence or danger.

No, it doesn't. Assault can be considered provoked verbally.

Necronic

Staff member

Has Southpark gone after them yet? Would be a good show. Also, I think 4-chan needs someone new to go after.

I have a feeling Comedy Central is afraid of being sued for defamation.

I have a feeling Comedy Central is afraid of being sued for defamation.
Certainly didn't stop them from doing it to Scientologists. Or everyone else, for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.