Is income inequality unjust, and if so, where is the injustice?

Kind of like how the only reason we haven't solved world hunger at this point is because it would not make a billionaire richer to do so.
Case in point, Elon Musk asked the UN for a plan where he could use his money to solve world hunger, and they gave him one, and he decided to pretend to buy Twitter instead

There are currently literally more empty housing units than homeless people in the USA. Clearly, it's not just a matter of too small a supply, and simply increasing supply will not solve this issue.
Two statements that have nothing to do with each other. Also thought the idea was to reduce rents not end all homelessness.
If there are 10 million people looking for a house with a budget of $1000/month for rent, and there are 20 million empty houses but they're all set with a rent of $1500/month, then the landlords can choose to lower their rent to have some income....Or they can just let their houses stand empty, advise people to co-house, etc.
There's a glut of high-priced housing units and a shortage of smaller and especially cheaper housing units at the moment. New builds, though, have to comply with ecological restrictions, zoning restrictions, etc etc (some of which are not as strict in the USA as elsewhere, but still) and this drives up prices. In Belgium, finding a spot where it's legal to build a new house is becoming a problem - we're too built up and we want to restrict further loss of open space to buildings. Therefore, whenever someone does have a plot of land zoned for housing, they're more likely to put up a block of 6 or 8 apartments than a single family house. Much higher return. Either way, newly built housing has to be nearly energy neutral (BEN is the literal term used meaning exactly that - "almost energy neutral"), either by producing a large part of their own energy (solar panels, wind turbine, water wheel,...) or by being isolated enough not to lose much. Practically, they need both. This drives up construction prices, along with the current shortage of some materials and, of course, increasing labor costs. Building a "cheap" or "affordable" house simply isn't worthwhile, profit-wise.
In the US, house prices have skyrocketed, for a number of reasons, one of which is greatly reduced first home ownership with a large part of the market falling into the hands of corporate real estate agencies which are interested only in high profits and have pushed their prices on everything up as high as they can go. There's been a visible (in charts) move of people to houses one or two categories "down" from where they could've gone a decade earlier, thus leaving more high-end properties empty and low-end properties with high demand and the lowest incomes to fall out of the housing market all together.
So if we were to say tear down higher end rentals like say single family homes and replace them with lower end rentals like let’s say apartments this would have no effect on rental prices?

So if we were to say tear down higher end rentals like say single family homes and replace them with lower end rentals like let’s say apartments this would have no effect on rental prices?
Didn't California threaten to build a whole bunch of housing for homeless people if the luxury home builders decided to keep insisting on only building luxury housing?

--Patrick

Didn't California threaten to build a whole bunch of housing for homeless people if the luxury home builders decided to keep insisting on only building luxury housing?

--Patrick
I remember them trying to make little villages of tiny homes for the homeless. Don’t know how that’s turning out.

Two statements that have nothing to do with each other. Also thought the idea was to reduce rents not end all homelessness.

So you're allowed to generalize and idealize but I'm not?

Who's this "we"? "We", the government, to confiscate land with villas on them, tear them down, and put up communist style high-rise apartment blocks rented out for below-cost prices? Sure. Land and home owners tearing down their high-income high-quality single family homes to replace them with condo's or high end apartments, no. Land owners tearing down their expensive and high-income houses to replace them with subpar, crappily built deathtraps that will be uninhabitable in 5 years? Not much. Land owners tearing down their high priced houses to replace them with relatively expensive apartment blocks to rent out at a total price that'll never let them earn back the building costs compared to just continuing to rent out what they have now? Why would they?

So you're allowed to generalize and idealize but I'm not?
You can but if they’re non-sequitors I’ll point it out. And you can get snippy about it if you want cause it doesn’t change the fact that your two statements had nothing to do with each other.

Who’s this "we"? "We", the government, to confiscate land with villas on them, tear them down, and put up communist style high-rise apartment blocks rented out for below-cost prices?
I mean we as a society/country. Certainly government is included in the we but so are land owners/ developers which I figured would be obvious in context.
Sure. Land and home owners tearing down their high-income high-quality single family homes to replace them with condo's or high end apartments, no. Land owners tearing down their expensive and high-income houses to replace them with subpar, crappily built deathtraps that will be uninhabitable in 5 years? Not much. Land owners tearing down their high priced houses to replace them with relatively expensive apartment blocks to rent out at a total price that'll never let them earn back the building costs compared to just continuing to rent out what they have now? Why would they?
Because of the sharply increasing taxes for every house they own. Which them tearing down and building apartments was supposed to be a tax dodge against.

I remember them trying to make little villages of tiny homes for the homeless. Don’t know how that’s turning out.
Like shit.

- Some were horribly mismanaged, resulting things like poor construction or only building a portion of what was planned due to running over budget.

- Some were shut down after the companies contracted just embezzled funds.

- Some were immediately abused, dismantled, or otherwise destroyed within weeks of completion.

- Many were ineffective, because often times there are other factors to a person living on the street than simple supply & demand. Mental health issues, addiction, and even something as basic as “I don’t want to live in a house, I want to be a ‘free spirit’” kept people from using them.

figmentPez

Staff member
Lakewood cut down Town Square trees to deter homeless

This New Jersey township "cut down all of the shade trees that once lined Town Square in a controversial move designed to prevent homeless people from spending time there.

"Mayor Ray Coles said the decision was made after a recommendation from the Police Department Quality of Life Unit, which the township said was triggered by numerous complaints from residents and township employees about homeless people defecating and urinating in the area."

Yeah, cut down the trees, I'm sure that will improve the quality of life in your town. :Leyla:

This is an 8-month old video but I just discovered it. I always knew private equity was a disgusting business practice, but seeing it all laid out like this? Why isn't any politicians going after this predatory practice?

This is an 8-month old video but I just discovered it. I always knew private equity was a disgusting business practice, but seeing it all laid out like this? Why isn't any politicians going after this predatory practice?

Because private equity pays for their campaigns.
He didn’t go into it in the video but a side effect of the leveraged buy outs is that companies in order to fight off being taken over have to do things that keep their stock high. Cutting salaries, cutting training, understaffing, and postponing needed maintenance and replacements. All effects of the invisible hand.

Somewhere end of the 90s early 00s the USA pretty much allowed unlimited pumping of money into politics ("money is free speech!", "companies are people when it's to their advantage but not when it's to their disadvantage!"), and ever since American democracy has pretty much been a complete plutocracy. Lobbying and bribing and squeeze have always been part of the game, but it's really gotten a lot worse the past 20 years, worldwide, as a result of those moves.
Of course, Reagan has also played his part in the 70s, and the EU being a black box with no accountability to anyone, and the full effects of globalization, end of the Cold War, and a bunch of other factors. But saying "regular people are limited in how much money they can spend on politics to keep the field level, but companies can spend as much as they want" really was one of the big decisions that drove us all off a cliff.

saying "regular people are limited in how much money they can spend on politics to keep the field level, but companies can spend as much as they want" really was one of the big decisions that drove us all off a cliff.
I know it's technically reposted from the guns thread, but it still holds here:
I know I said it before, but a corporation is, by definition, amoral. It doesn't care what it does or doesn't do, whether it even lives or dies.
However, the people driving a corporation, should they be allowed to wield that corporation as a club to further their own agenda?
--Patrick

Charity is a worthwhile cause, to be sure.

However, I'm not entirely convinced this run on the food banks is due to income inequality, and/or the depredations of the rich against the poor. As I see it, it might be more due to inflation ie the rise in food prices, which may be more of a macro-economical phenomena under the current circumstances.

GasBandit

Staff member
Charity is a worthwhile cause, to be sure.

However, I'm not entirely convinced this run on the food banks is due to income inequality, and/or the depredations of the rich against the poor. As I see it, it might be more due to inflation ie the rise in food prices, which may be more of a macro-economical phenomena under the current circumstances.
It's been found that over half the increase in prices over the last few years has been solely driven by corporate profits, soooo... yeah, it kind of is the rich's depredations against... well, everyone else.

It's been found that over half the increase in prices over the last few years has been solely driven by corporate profits, soooo... yeah, it kind of is the rich's depredations against... well, everyone else.
I think the common theory holds that the price of a good or service is determined by the law of supply and demand. I guess if you believe the suppliers should accept a price below the market rate, or if you think there exists a cartel or monopoly fixing the prices across the board, then the market will not be able to function efficiently. I'd be very interested and willing to read about these findings you mentioned.

which may be more of a macro-economical phenomena under the current circumstances.
It is a macro-economical phenomenon. The part you're probably missing is that macroeconomics are no longer driven only by nations/States as you might expect. Corporations (and the relatively small group of individuals who steer them) now wield just as much, if not more, influence than entire nations. The "invisible hand" used to be the term used to describe market forces which arose organically from a sea of millions of smaller decisions, but now there are actually times when that "invisible hand" can, in extreme cases, be traced back to a single person's decision(s), effectively making it literally a singular invisible hand. Twitter is the most recent example I can think of, where an entire company is currently being steered/wielded subject solely to the whims of one man’s opinions.

--Patrick

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
I think the common theory holds that the price of a good or service is determined by the law of supply and demand. I guess if you believe the suppliers should accept a price below the market rate, or if you think there exists a cartel or monopoly fixing the prices across the board, then the market will not be able to function efficiently. I'd be very interested and willing to read about these findings you mentioned.
There's been a massive consolidation of corporate power. Basically everything in our supermarkets now is all from the same few companies (via companies with other names that they own so it's really the same company), and price fixing between them is the order of the day. There is no competition left in our markets - just monopoly and collusion.

But here's the bit about the corporate profits being >50% of the price increases

It's not like price-fixing has been all over the news..i mean, it like rarely happens. Sheesh! /s

GasBandit

Staff member
It's not like price-fixing has been all over the news..i mean, it like rarely happens. Sheesh! /s
I'm prone to give TommiR the benefit of the doubt on not hearing about it all because he's not in the western hemisphere, and to be fair, even most of the normies around me had no idea when I casually mentioned the RealPage rent price-fixing lawsuit a couple weeks ago.

I'm prone to give TommiR the benefit of the doubt on not hearing about it all because he's not in the western hemisphere, and to be fair, even most of the normies around me had no idea when I casually mentioned the RealPage rent price-fixing lawsuit a couple weeks ago.
My view of the news might be a bit biased. I see all of the price fixing stuff, because reddit definitely has anti-corporate bias