Introduce Yourself!

Dave

Staff member
Possibly through Twitter. I tweeted something the other day that was liked a fair few times and shared a couple. It was that stupid and condescending #HowToConfuseAMillennial thing. It should have been #IGotOldAndDontKnowWhoToBlame.

Dave

Staff member
Dave: "Get off my lawn!"
Kids: *get on Dave's porch*
That's kind of the opposite of what I was saying. The millennials hashtag was about things like, "#HowToConfuseAMillennial - Show them a first place trophy." or "What do you mean there's no wifi? #HowToConfuseAMillennial"

So I tweeted: As a 50 year old, #HowToConfuseAMillennial is just dumb and condescending. THEY didn't break the world, they're just trying to live in it.

GasBandit

Staff member
:drunk:
I searched for 'big xenforo forums' and this one was mentioned in a list on the xf support forum.
Interesting. Our link on that list is outdated though, it still has the /xenforo/ subfolder, which is broken now. I oughta throw an HTML redirect in that folder or something.

Oh hey, the doomweasels are infiltrating the Catholic Church at the highest levels.

A good plan, if the don't get distracted by all the shiny gold in walls and cielings.

Interesting. Our link on that list is outdated though, it still has the /xenforo/ subfolder, which is broken now. I oughta throw an HTML redirect in that folder or something.
Yeah a lot of forums I already know of and dead links in that list. I believe yours linked to a file/folder list, I clicked "Parent Directory" and landed here. Seems like a nice place so far.
:popcorn:

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah a lot of forums I already know of and dead links in that list. I believe yours linked to a file/folder list, I clicked "Parent Directory" and landed here. Seems like a nice place so far.
:popcorn:
Well, now it'll just automatically redirect to the correct URL, so it won't be dead any more.

Dave

Staff member
By the way, this is Gas. He's our technical guy. I'm the one that fucks things up so he has to fix them.[DOUBLEPOST=1473730216,1473730166][/DOUBLEPOST]
So what does "Hal" stand for? ...Does it stand for something? Is it the founders name? *shrugs*
Oh shit. Now THIS is a story. I wonder if it's posted anywhere. I'm on a laptop and it's tough to write easily. Hold on.

Dave

Staff member
Can't find it. Guess I get to tell the story.

We started as the official forum of the webcomic PvP by Scott Kurtz. One day we all came in...well, we tried. He'd closed down the forums without even hinting he was going to. It was called HalfPixel. We got on IRC and talked about starting a new forum and batted around names like "Repixel" and "Halfforums". I on a whim registered "Halfforums", making a typo and dropping one of the 'f's, so it became "Halforums".

And we've been here ever since then. This year is our 7th anniversary, I think.

That's the SHORT version.

Ah, well it's easy to remember.

Makes me think of Hal from Malcom in the Middle (the dad on the show) aka Bryan Cranston. Loved him in Breaking Bad too.

Dave

Staff member
Actually, since my name is Dave we went with the 2001: A Space Odyssey angle. Our favicon used to be the red eye.

Before he was known as Dave, there was a short period where he was known as Hal.

Before he was known as Hal, there was a long period when he was known as Edrondol.

Before he was known as Edrondol... actually, I think that's as far back as it goes.

GasBandit

Staff member
By the way, this is Gas. He's our technical guy. I'm the one that fucks things up so he has to fix them.[DOUBLEPOST=1473730216,1473730166][/DOUBLEPOST]

Oh shit. Now THIS is a story. I wonder if it's posted anywhere. I'm on a laptop and it's tough to write easily. Hold on.
Huh. The wiki is singularly unhelpful in this regard, but here's the best I could piece together...

Halforums

The website message board and collected webpages that inspired this wiki. Formerly known as Halforum the extra S was added to indicate a desire to encompass larger ventures than just being a refuge from the defunct Halfpixel forums operated by Scott Kurtz et al.
Halforums is the third known splinter webforum community created when Scott Kurtz would routinely banish fans from his web forums before destroying them altogether, after Forumopolis, and The Krypton Krew or Krewmembers. It is operated by Dave with technical assistance from AmorousEyes and has no more ties to the original webcomic creator or forums that inspired it.

Halfpixel
Halfpixel is a collective of comic artists (See http://www.halfpixel.com), which includes Scott Kurtz (creator of PvP Online) and Kristofer Straub. The common usage in the community is usually regarding events that transpired while halfpixel.com was host to the community that became halforums.com, the "Halfpixel era." The Halfpixel era is between the Image Forum era and the Halforums era.

Exodus

On November 26, 2008 the forum become inexplicably unavailable. Scott Kurtz later explained that the forum was not useful to PvP and was unbearably loading Kristofer Straub's server at HalfPixel. He instructed Kris to simply delete the forum altogether, and believed that, like removing a band-aid very quickly, it was better to delete the forum with no notice.
Though Scott ultimately made the decision, Kris received a great deal of criticism, primarily due to the fact that he was moving the other sub-forums off Halfpixel to other servers and giving their users several weeks notice that their forums were moving. Kris did attempt to patch things up by providing a redirect from Halfpixel to Halforum, but that lasted only hours as the continued vitriol aimed at him convinced him that helping the forum re-form was not in his best interest.
Many are still unhappy with both the initial action and the later explanations. This occasionally shows up in threads about PvP and Scott Kurtz, but doesn't often get worse than Scott Kurtz Is A Hack.
Many forum members worked in the IRC channel to bring up a new forum quickly, and while offers were made from existing forums to join them Halforum was up and running within a day. A significant number of the users made the move, but the Halfpixel forum data was never released by Kris, so an accurate evaluation of the switch cannot be made.

Image Forum
The pvponline forums were once hosted by Image Comics, as they were publisher of the print media form of PvP comics. Events or discussions are sometimes as being described as happening during the "Image era" or "back on the Image board," such as the reign of morderator Joe Keatinge. The subforum for PvP still technically exists, but it is devoid of content other than a thread to point would-be contributors to the latest incarnation of the community's location.

8th, if my calendar is to be believed. November 26th, 2008.
...oh, hey, Gas already said that.

Hmmm...mmm...not quite. Right church, wrong pew.

--Patrick
Well help me out. I'm not Catholic, so I just associate red with cardinals. (Until they move to L.A. too, then I'll be feeling the blues)

It confuses me. It says their fur is used in the clothes of popes and cardinals, so I have no idea what you're trying to say.
Add in that a very quick googling shows me lots of cardinals wearing red and a pope not wearing red.
And I'll bet none of those have cute little horns.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Yeah, we used to have contests, but I don't make as much money as I did then. Well, I do, but I also have a lot more bills and responsibilities. Stupid student loans.

fade

Staff member
Can't find it. Guess I get to tell the story.

We started as the official forum of the webcomic PvP by Scott Kurtz. One day we all came in...well, we tried. He'd closed down the forums without even hinting he was going to. It was called HalfPixel. We got on IRC and talked about starting a new forum and batted around names like "Repixel" and "Halfforums". I on a whim registered "Halfforums", making a typo and dropping one of the 'f's, so it became "Halforums".

And we've been here ever since then. This year is our 7th anniversary, I think.

That's the SHORT version.
Huh. First time I heard this story. I never really knew where the name came from. Just assumed you were a 2001 fan.

Huh. First time I heard this story. I never really knew where the name came from. Just assumed you were a 2001 fan.
It's not actually true, anyway. We started out as a group of cocktail aficionado's and split off from the quart-o-rum folks over the best mix to make a mojito.

Dave

Staff member
Yeah, Repixel was taken by a photography site (IIRC) and I was in a hurry and typo'd HalfForum. Probably for the best. It was a bad play on words. And Hal just makes for a better name on other things (HalBucks, etc.)