[Question] In laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SeraRelm

Mine ply me with booze and tried to give me vicodin for my messed up wrist.

Anyone else have... interesting in laws?

I'm not sure I want to give away for free that which I'm sure I could make into a psychology career.
Ha! You gotta share some man, now it's just a tease...

My in-laws are reasonably normal, but my father in law has no idea what to do with me since I'm not a hunter and don't care for sports. He honestly will barely talk to me, not because he's rude, he just has no idea what to say other than to tell me I'm into "weird things".

My tell me casually that learning a foreign language and a "minor" change of religion would make things easier for them to accept me fully.

So they just tolerate me.

That will do.

fade

Staff member
I have the greatest MIL. She buys me treats, takes care of my kids, cooks well, and goes home. I didn't like her at first, since I'm a southern boy, and she's from Long Island. She directly insulted the south, which really bothered me until I realized that northerners are indoctrinated into south-hating. She was surprised that we actually had things like cable and full sets of teeth. Ever since then, a) she's changed, and b) I realized that this crap is pervasive on TV. Completely unbridled, usually unsupported south-bashing.

Mine are decent enough. I have adapted myself to my Mother in Law instead of being confrontational. She gets incredibly upset if things do not go her way and any visit with them will be ruined by the slightest offence. As an example while playing Scrabble with my wife she remarked that I was very good, yet I sucked whenever we played with her parents, so I noted that life is easier if you "Let the Wookie win."

I have the greatest MIL. She buys me treats, takes care of my kids, cooks well, and goes home. I didn't like her at first, since I'm a southern boy, and she's from Long Island. She directly insulted the south, which really bothered me until I realized that northerners are indoctrinated into south-hating. She was surprised that we actually had things like cable and full sets of teeth. Ever since then, a) she's changed, and b) I realized that this crap is pervasive on TV. Completely unbridled, usually unsupported south-bashing.

<pats head> there there, not everyone's perfect (and therefore not from New York).

Ha! You gotta share some man, now it's just a tease...

My in-laws are reasonably normal, but my father in law has no idea what to do with me since I'm not a hunter and don't care for sports. He honestly will barely talk to me, not because he's rude, he just has no idea what to say other than to tell me I'm into "weird things".
I really, really shouldn't.

I don't really have any in-laws. Technically speaking, my wife's mother exists, but she's not around. And if she was, it's a toss-up as to who would break her jaw first.

I don't really have any in-laws. Technically speaking, my wife's mother exists, but she's not around. And if she was, it's a toss-up as to who would break her jaw first.
Always let your wife get the first punch in, then once she's done you can clean up, assuming there's anything left to work with.

I think you're going to find ignorance no matter where you go. My step-mother (from North Carolina) asked me what I thought the civil war was about and when I told her she said "Oh my, an educated northerner" like it should come as a surprise that I didn't just say slavery. There is indoctrination to hate the north as well.

My step-mother (from North Carolina) asked me what I thought the civil war was about and when I told her she said "Oh my, an educated northerner" like it should come as a surprise that I didn't just say slavery.
I don't have any in-laws, but I just wanted to pop in and address something:

Any claim that the Civil War was about anything other than slavery is a load of bullshit.

Any claim that the Civil War was about anything other than slavery is a load of bullshit.
Well, it wasn't just a slavery issue. There were a lot of reasons for the civil war. Slavery was just one of the issues (though it was a biggie).

Slavery was the main issue, and really the only one that mattered. Anything about "state's rights" or "northern aggression" is a secondary issue at best.

Slavery was the main issue, and really the only one that mattered. Anything about "state's rights" or "northern aggression" is a secondary issue at best.
It was also about the economy of the south vs. the north. I think you are wrong about the bolded part, though it's obviously the one that matters most today.

GasBandit

Staff member

Saying the civil war was just about slavery is like saying piracy (the nautical kind, not the computer kind) was just about ships. Well, yeah, technically it had everything to do with ships, but there's more to it than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.