[Movies] I'm starting an Amazing Spider-Man 2 thread and no one can stop me

So, now that the movie is available by means in which the makers will never see a dime from me, I watched this movie.

Just horrible, for the most part.

I think I put my finger on why these movies rank so high on my hate list. They have such potential to be great movies, but just seem... well, incompetent in being able to do that. Emma Stone is just great as the character of Gwen Stacy. While the Gwen from the comics was little more than a damsel in distress and eventual "woman in refrigerator", I loved the fact that Gwen in these movies was smarter than Peter and just as plucky as him.

But jesus christ there's some serious turd wrangling going on in this movie.

Main complaint, is Andrew Garfield. Not that he's consistently terrible, but that he's consistently inconsistent. At points he is spot on, and in others, he seems like he doesn't know how to convey human emotions.

Next biggest complaint is the score of all things. It was so bad that it actively bothered me. It felt like the music that would be in a cartoon, and don't even get me started on dubstep Electro. BLARG.

Speaking of Electro, I liked him better the first time when he was the Riddler in Batman Returns.

Green Goblin and Rhino exist only to move the plot forward with no real development. I actually prefered the Power Ranger villain goblin from the Rami verson over the Copper Kid from Silverhawks.

Oh and the most outrageously laugh out loud moment for me, is when he's shooting the web to Gwen and it actually forms a hand reaching out for her. GOOD GOD... just terrible.

Attachments

I actually really liked the score, and thought it fit Electro's scenes perfectly. Max's theme if the sad oboe (or was it a piccolo? I don't really know my woodwinds) slowly evolving into the angry dubstep of electro was spot on, and even included what sounded like singing Tesla coils.

Everything else you said though, I agree with. Garfield and Stone had good chemistry, but was inconsistent. Rhino and Goblin were pointless and stupid, and more or less the while thing was just boring.

For me, Electro was the only thing worth seeing. I don't even like his comic version, but Jaime Foxx rocked it as him, and his 30 minutes of screen time were the only parts I enjoyed.

I felt the exact opposite about Dane DeHaan, I think he's a huge star and loved all his scenes and he reminded me of Heath Ledge or a young Dicaprio.
His scenes are actually pretty ok, up until he turns into whatever the fuck that thing was supposed to be at the end. He played his part well, and despite being introduced as Peter's long lost friend without any backstory or setup to establish them as long time friends, I totally bought it once they started interacting with each other.

But his scenes are, again, painfully short and underused. Except for the shoehorned extra ending after the movie should have already been over, and he turns into a reject leprechaun.

I like Amazing Green Goblin a lot more since he has a MUCH better reason to be pissed at Spider-Man than the other movies ones
Yeah, but Peter has a pretty stupid reason for not giving him the blood that might save his life, especially after curing The Lizard's serum the movie before.

Harry: I'm dying Peter, I need Spider-Man's blood.
Peter: Hey, you're my best friend, so I have to tell you... I'm actually Spider-Man. And also an amazing chemist, that for some reason doesn't know how magnets work. How about we work together and see if we can't find a cure?

End of movie.[DOUBLEPOST=1408998493,1408998463][/DOUBLEPOST]
I would just like to point out that a piccolo and oboe sound nothing alike.
I did say I don't know my woodwinds.

I felt the exact opposite about Dane DeHaan, I think he's a huge star and loved all his scenes and he reminded me of Heath Ledge or a young Dicaprio.
I LOVED him in Chronicle, but the movie doesn't know what to do with him. He certainly wasn't utilized in a fashion that allowed him to show his acting chops. Which is funny that he played one of the most sympathetic and nuanced supervillains ever put to film in Chronicle.

This movie sucked so much; I want my 1.99 from RedBox back.

Someone had it spot on with the Jim Carrey Riddler impression Jamie Fox pulled off. Electro was so one dimensional he was practically a singularity.

The Goblin story arc blew chunks. Friendship out of nowhere!

Rhino... kid at the end... ugh... so much camp.

Last edited: