If you were on the jury, how would you find in the trial of Casey Anthony?

Please vote for two items: select one of the top two options, and one of the bottom two options.

• Casey is guilty

Votes: 13 100.0%
  • Casey is not guilty

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Casey will be found guilty

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Casey will be found not guilty

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jiarn

Even I wouldn't take that kind of fame and money. Can you imagine the sheer load of hate mail, grafiti anywhere she lives, destruction of property, picketers at every place she vists etc.

Let me tell you something. I've never seen something cause such incredible wildfire from the media since O.J.

We'll never know 100% if he did it due to how incredibly bad the LAPD screwed up in that case and it involved a middle aged woman. This time it is about a 2 year old helpless little girl who got snuffed out and in this day and age with social media being what it is, this woman will never have peace of mind from people in civilized nations.

I wouldn't be surprised if this woman is assassinated within the next year.

M

makare

You know every time one of these cases comes around I wait for the parents to be hurt but it never seems to happen. At least not physically.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Well think--- the people that are outraged by this sort of thing are generally the type who wouldn't hurt somebody for something like that, eh?

Well think--- the people that are outraged by this sort of thing are generally the type who wouldn't hurt somebody for something like that, eh?
^keep telling yourself that and stay blind to a world that lost its mind long ago.

so in other news, I got called a monster all day yesterday BECAUSE I DIDN'T CARE about that stupid verdict.

no I am not happy that a small child was murdered, but the verdict has already been decided, go bug someone else with how you hope the jurors and the judge and the all the people involved who were just DOING their JOB burn in hell or get murdered or wish whatever evil voodoo you want on them. I DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT!

I have a feeling that she will not be returning home for long. But she will have an impossible time melding into the back-ground since her face has been plastered on every TV screen in America.

M

makare

Ok right after I made that post the camp host came in and asked me what I thought of "the verdict". Im glad you guys talked about it because otherwise I wouldn't have any idea what she was talking about. >.<

http://blogs.courant.com/roger_catlin_tv_eye/2011/07/nancy-graces-tot-mom-outrage.html

I found this while looking for the reason Nancy Grace called Ms. Anthony "Tot Mom" all the FUCKING TIME. I still can't find a satisfactory answer. Is it that she was the mother of a Toddler, a mother that was really young?(basically a toddler herself) I just don't get it, because she ALWAYS says it like she was a racist chewing on the N-word.

I have to admit, the only reason that I was pulling for an acquittal was to watch her stroke out. Every time I get exposed to her rantings on HLN, I walk away much more angry than she is.

C

Chibibar

I found an article, but I didn't post it (I should have)

basically the article was about WHY do we even have this "news" about Casey.

1. She is "good looking"
2. she is white
3. Her kid is good looking.

There are babies dying every year around the world (and in the U.S. too) but you don't hear about that. You don't hear about the average person killing their children on the news.
I think that is why Charlie is antsy ;)

C

Chibibar

Good ole missing White Woman (Girl) Syndrome.

"A homely child went missing yesterday, and nobody really cared." -The Onion
That is pretty much it :(
I shop at Walmart (yea, they are evil, but prices are too good for a low government income earner) and I see many kids are missing on the board. It makes me sad, but no news about them.

The vast majority of the missing kids on the Milk Cartons and Wal-Marts missing child boards are with a parent. They are just not with the parent that has legal custody.

M

makare

I think cases where they think the mother/father murdered the kid gets press in general. This one was just particularly weird because of the delay in reporting.

Dave

Staff member
Okay, it's been a day. Here's my thoughts after reflection.

1. There are still serious questions in my mind, re: Defense Claims versus Physical Evidence. Something nefarious happened and nobody is being brought to justice.
  2. I can better understand the jury's response. It is not so much a reflection of Casey's innocence, but is more a condemnation of the case brought forth by the prosecution.
  3. I still don't understand how circumstantial evidence must be overlooked when it is logical and irrefutable.
  4. Nancy Grace is an idiot and I was way too much like her yesterday for my own comfort.
So upon reflection this does not infuriate me, but still makes me disappointed. Do I think she got away with murder? Absolutely. Do I see why? I guess, although I disagree with the flimsiness of the evidence.

GasBandit

Staff member
You know every time one of these cases comes around I wait for the parents to be hurt but it never seems to happen. At least not physically.
Maybe it's some kind of crazy inversed Bystander Effect. Only, instead of everybody standing around wondering why nobody is helping, they're wondering why nobody is hurting.

M

makare

I don't want to hurt her necessarily I want to neuter her so she won't have any more kids.

Based on all the evidence I've read about or seen on random news reports, I honestly can't believe the prosecution went straight up with first degree murder. They were asking to lose the trial.

Agreed.

And the multitude of pictures of her partying and enjoying life WHILE her child was missing is very unsettling. The whole affair stinks.

Anyways, the one thing I'm taking away from the whole Casey Anthony verdict debacle is the fact that Facebook and Twitter are the modern day equivalent of pitchforks and torches.

C

Chibibar

Most normal people flip out after 1 minute of not knowing where their kid is, not 1 month.
I freak out not knowing where my nephew is in my OWN home if I don't see him (he is 2 and loves to get into things)
I can imagine I would wonder where the heck is my own children if they are MIA more than 1 minute.

If the defense is claiming that Casey and her father covered up an accidental drowning, how did they explain why they put duct tape over the child's nose and mouth?

The most frustrating thing I found about being on a jury was that the jury is not allowed to ask questions. They can have the transcript re-read to them, and they can examine the evidence provided during the course of the trial, but they aren't allowed to participate in it beyond that.

Ah well. Such is life.

Yeah. Having a lawyer for a father quickly dispelled the idea that the American law system is build around justice. I don't mean that as cynically as it sounds, BTW. Just a fact. Also, unless I missed it, I can't believe the following statement has not been made:

If you were on the jury, how would you find in the trial of Casey Anthony?
Hot.

C

Chibibar

Apparently, the jury thought she was guilty but that the evidence presented did not prove anything...so they had to come up with that verdict.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/0...prosecutors-where-was-the-evidence/?hpt=hp_t1

This strangely makes me feel better about it, even though I hope Casey gets cancer.
Now the juror wants money for the story?

So the prosecution totally drop the ball on this one :( since the lesser degree didn't get assign, Casey is free and clear of the murder charge right? (i.e. can't retrial due to double jeopardy. So if new evidence "appear" that she DID kill her baby, she can't be trial for murder)

but there is still civil court for neglegence?

Dave

Staff member
She's to be released next Wednesday. She got 4 years, but 3 of these were time served. The rest was removed for good behavior.

Can't think.... sheer hatred of the American legal system... pover overwhelming.
Added at: 12:21

http://healthland.time.com/2011/07/07/petition-for-caylees-law-goes-viral/?hpt=hp_t1

By dinnertime, Crowder had hopped on the social-change site Change.org and launched a petition, aimed at President Obama and members of Congress, calling for a federal law that would make it a felony for parents to fail to notify police within 24 hours of a child's disappearance or within an hour of a child's death. Casey Anthony waited 30 days before reporting her daughter, Caylee, missing — one of several bizarre behaviors to which many pointed as evidence of Anthony's guilt.

fade

Staff member
Late to the game, but from what I've seen, the jury made the right call legally. Not because Casey Anthony didn't do it. But because the prosecution failed to prove she did. It's not the same thing, and it's being confused in the media and in the public. Most of the physical evidence was questionable, and you can't convict someone for being a bitch.* The prosecution apparently couldn't even really associate the duct tape with where or how they say it was applied, and who hasn't looked up something questionable on the internet? I've got a good feeling she did it, and that the prosecution's theories were probably correct, but the same questions I just asked have to be asked by the jury, too.

On the other hand I agree that this was a disproportionate response to something that sadly happens every day. The hype felt manufactured by the media from the get go. "BE EXCITED BECAUSE WE SAY SO!" I hate when Matt Lauer says things like "the case taking the public by storm" when I don't think it is. He's only saying it is to cause it to happen.

* Anecdotally, my son's best friend's mom probably wouldn't kill her kid, but I could see her partying for a month when he went missing. She's unemployed, but sent him off to her mom's house for the entire summer, filling her facebook page with check-ins at bars and pictures with strange dudes--and not one word about her kid.
Added at: 02:11
Also, I totally expected a Law & Order style courthouse steps shooting.

W

Wasabi Poptart

Late to the game, but from what I've seen, the jury made the right call legally. Not because Casey Anthony didn't do it. But because the prosecution failed to prove she did. It's not the same thing, and it's being confused in the media and in the public. Most of the physical evidence was questionable, and you can't convict someone for being a bitch.* The prosecution apparently couldn't even really associate the duct tape with where or how they say it was applied, and who hasn't looked up something questionable on the internet? I've got a good feeling she did it, and that the prosecution's theories were probably correct, but the same questions I just asked have to be asked by the jury, too.
I completely agree with this. I believe she did it, but there was nothing presented that actually proved (beyond a shadow of a doubt) that she killed her daughter. The whole thing stinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.