If you were on the jury, how would you find in the trial of Casey Anthony?

Please vote for two items: select one of the top two options, and one of the bottom two options.

• Casey is guilty

Votes: 13 100.0%
  • Casey is not guilty

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Casey will be found guilty

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Casey will be found not guilty

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, just saw a new report on T.V. Apparently she disclosed to a friend that she would like to be a mother again. Good grief, if there were a case for sterilization - she would be a prime example.

I kinda have the feeling the media is trying to set her up, for the court house steps shooting. We are getting the day of release and that she will be sent out of a "secret exit." Now the nut jobs will need to wait for the press to release the location of the secret exit.

C

Chibibar

I have to agree Fade. I think she did it. The problem is that it can't be proven/link that she did do it. Now she is 'scott' free of the murder of her child.

GasBandit

Staff member
I was never entirely clear on how jeopardy worked. Is it the charge or the crime?
I suppose you could say it's the specific instance of the action. You can't be put on trial more than once for the same act, but that one trial can have multiple charges. I could be wrong on this, as it's more hazy in my mind than other areas. Maybe Makare knows.

I suppose you could say it's the specific instance of the action. You can't be put on trial more than once for the same act, but that one trial can have multiple charges. I could be wrong on this, as it's more hazy in my mind than other areas. Maybe Makare knows.
Didn't Ron Goldman's family take OJ to town after the verdict of the civil case?

GasBandit

Staff member
Didn't Ron Goldman's family take OJ to town after the verdict of the civil case?
Yeah, and from what I hear the nanny that never met her is bringing a suit as well. But here, I think the distinction is, the criminal trial was "you killed her," whereas the civil suit was "it was your fault he died."

Also, I'm (again not entirely sure because my brain hurts today but) fairly sure there's something about double jeopardy only applying to criminal charges?

M

makare

Civil court is entirely separate from a criminal charge. The burden of proof for first degree murder, beyond a reasonable doubt, is very hard to overcome (obviously). In civil wrongful death cases it is usual just preponderance of evidence but I think that can depend on the state.

Hilarious. She gets off scott free, gets a million in free bail money over the years, getting even more hundreds of thousands of dollars for doing "exclusives" all the while partying it up while the entire world will forget her face in a matter of months just like every other "Major Trial Criminal" that's come along in the past 5 years.

She made out like a bandit, and with no more child responsibility to boot.

It's been my experience that the best way to find things is with google maps. I'd probably use that.

I'm simply dumbfounded that the jury failed so hard. I've seen people get thrown in prison because there was 1% proof and 99% reasonable doubt.

It's all about case-to-case. She could have gotten the book thrown at her for "reasonable doubt" happens ALL the time. EX: An innocent man gets thrown in prison. How? Not because there was enough evidence against him (obviously, since he didn't do it) but enough to be "convinced".

M

makare

I don't think she is all that good looking. I don't get the pretty girl argument.

Neither was Sarah Palin, but there you go.

It's about the "field" of people to choose from. Ex: Most murderers aren't pretty so Casey Anthony was considered prettier by comparison. Most politicians aren't pretty so Sarah Palin was considered prettier by comparison. etc etc

GasBandit

Staff member
Nobody's at their best when on trial for murder, crying, after being imprisoned for 3 years. But yes, the stereotype of a murderer being big'n'ugly makes "pretty" a subjective measurement.

I laughed.

Hard.

Well done Crimson. Look on the bright side, if you two hooked up then broke up, you wouldn't have to worry about child support long!

Too soon? :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.