I know I had one of these but it's probably been locked for years: AMA

Hmmmm...

I'm quite fond of the Spectacled Owl because of their eyes (depending on time of your and lighting ,they can also look purple, which is neat). The Sri Lanka (and Oriental) Bay Owl are pretty neat because they look like some sort of half-alien species. Obviously the Snowy Owl (do I even need to include a link for that?) because it looks regal, and, well, ok, these days, I guess it's "the Harry Potter bird". The Great Hawk Owl is impressive to hold or behold. And it's probably pretty clear I'm a fan of Burrowing Owls because they can just look so darn cute and funny.
If I had to choose my favorite, it might just be the most common and typical of all owls though - the simple and plain Barn Owl.

Beyond that, it's hard for me to even pin down a favorite author. Let's see...In no particular order:
  • I just finished Life of Pi, and I have to say it's pretty fantastic, it's been quite a while since a book managed to grab and move me so.
  • Dune (Herbert) (the original) still holds a place in my heart, though I can't find it anywhere in a good edition and I haven't read it in years.
  • Time enough for Love (Heinlein), despite its....lot of oddities, really does have a nice story somewhere underneath it all.
  • A Prayer for Owen Meany and The World According to Garp (both Irving) rank pretty high on my favorites list, too.
  • It may be surprising for some, given I'm a pretty strong agnostic, but I think the Bible really does have some very strong parts in it.
  • As for children's books, I'd go with De Koning van Katoren (Terlouw). As far as I know, it hasn't been translated into English. It's also probably hopelessly outdated by now. Protagonist is a 17 year old boy who lives in a country where the King has died. The government wants to keep their power, so they've set a series of "impossible" challenges to overcome. Each of them is an allegory for a "modern day" (mind this book was written in the late seventies) problem. Stop/cut down a pomegranate tree that grows real grenades (the "granate" part in the word is the same as "grenade" in Dutch) as a reference to the arms race, stopping a village from being crushed beneath shuffling churches, as a reference to ecclesiastical disputes and wars over religion,....)

What made you love owls? Is this a long time thing? Or just an in joke on here that spiraled out of control?
A long, long time ago,
I can still remember,
How this forum used to make me smile
And....well, never mind, err, we used to have a bunch of themed avatar changes - everyone being a cat, or everyone being in Christmas theme, or whatever - it's sort of died out lately. Somehow I ended up with an owl picture that was "fitting" for 3 or 4 themes in a row, and after that I spent some time trying to alter that picture to fit other themes (you know, throw a Christmas hat on the owl, that sort of thing). Afterwards it stuck.

Or, "yes, what you said" :p

Have you read either that Agatha Christie novel or Joseph Conrad's? The ones I asked Chuck about.[DOUBLEPOST=1446491651,1446491413][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh and as an aside, I figured since you rated that post a like, you understood why I chose those titles. But also, I've read them both and found them quite entertaining.

I had, though, up until last week guessed that Christie's novel had originally been titled Ten Little Indians.

Any idea when Gassy will get over his pork infatuation so I can start one of these threads without getting asked that stupid question?

Any idea when Gassy will get over his pork infatuation so I can start one of these threads without getting asked that stupid question?
Hey, you have advance notice. All you have to do is design a witty response before you post your thread, and if he asks you simply drop the bomb. Perfect time for a "Your mom" type joke, for instance.

Who was that floozy eagle I saw you with on Facebook?
Well, see, I was at an "owl night", and I held plenty (well, no, but a few) owls, I swear! Except all of those pictures magically had either a wing, or a head, or a tail, or something in front of my face*. My girlfriend asked them if they wouldn't bring out the eagle for a bit too, and when she sat on my arm**, of course, the pictures came out just fine.
In fact, I later found out that, through sheer coincidence, this is the same eagle I had on my arm last year, 100 km away. But twice doesn't make for a fling, it's just two one night stands, I swear. >_>

*true fact.

**the eagle, not the girlfriend. That's a whole other story.

your thoughts on barred owls?

Favourite Pokemon?
Hmm, in Pokémon Go or in general? I never played any of the games, just watched the cartoons on occasion getting back from school and trying to not do homework ;) so I'm not horribly familiar with the newer ones. Ninetails is probably one of my favorites, and I remember really liking the episode about catching Onyx.
Are you an eBay fan? If so, what do you search?
Not especially. I've used it before, but usually just out of curiosity about "what woudl that be worth" and such. My siste in law spends 4+ hours a day on there buying and selling stuff, it's pretty much how she makes a living, but I've never really see nthe appeal. I did once buy some hardcover books I couldn't find anywhere else anymore, though.

Last edited: