I don't think PA's Gabe is a Transphobic Bigot.

So, you're saying that in this day and age, using a racial slur is fine and dandy as long as the person isn't intending to hurt anyone?
No, I'm not saying that.

At the moment I tend to assume the frequent misunderstandings you experience are because I'm not adequately expressing myself, but you're rapidly convincing me that it's because you are intentionally misreading them to fit the needs of your arguments.

I could go ahead and do the same thing to you, but I'm not a fan of bullying, and much prefer reasoned discussion to emotional accusations.

No, I'm not saying that.

At the moment I tend to assume the frequent mis.understandings you experience are because I'm not adequately expressing myself, but you're rapidly convincing me that it's because you are intentionally misreading them to fit the needs of your arguments.

I could go ahead and do the same thing to you, but I'm not a fan of bullying, and much prefer reasoned discussion to emotional accusations.
Lol, are you actually accusing me of bullying now?

As for our misunderstandings, they largely stem from your ability to be extremely vague and unclear about your points but doing so in as many words as possible.

I'd suggest trying to be a bit more concise in the future.

Dave

Staff member
also officer_charon, speaking of people using slurs and not realizing it- the word "bitch" in your post above

Is it strange I find it hard to take you seriously in this topic based on your music choices? You are glorifying a person - I refuse to call him an "artist" - who absolutely revels in misogyny and racism as well as violence. I just can't see how you can deride one while actively pushing the other.

also officer_charon, speaking of people using slurs and not realizing it- the word "bitch" in your post above
Oh no, she's emphatically a bitch. Alternately, see snob, arrogant, rude, condescending, self-centered, narcissistic, and false.

I use it to denigrate her personality, not the fact that she's a female.

Is it strange I find it hard to take you seriously in this topic based on your music choices? You are glorifying a person - I refuse to call him an "artist" - who absolutely revels in misogyny and racism as well as violence. I just can't see how you can deride one while actively pushing the other.
Wow, Taylor Swift isn't my favorite either, but you're harsh.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypocrisy

Kanye isn't white.

i thoUght CaPITaL puNiSHmENT wAs whEN kIdS tyPE LIKe tHIs. I dON't KNOW wHY thEY do IT, BUt it's cERTainlY PUniSHING To Me.

I would certainly like to hear about how constantly being called a breeder led to emotional damage for Steinman. I'm sure it was just as bad as when I was harrassed in high school for being gay. Yup, I'm sure it's completely equivalent.

I do have to add, that yes, in some situations, such as a white student being the only white student and constantly called a Honkey would be just as hurtful as the opposite. Same would be if there was some sort of alternate reality high school where everyone were gay.
You really don't need to go to an alternate reality. Half White, Half Japanese kids get horribly bullied in japan some of them to the point of suicide.

You really don't need to go to an alternate reality. Half White, Half Japanese kids get horribly bullied in japan some of them to the point of suicide.
Bowielee said:
I do have to add, that yes, in some situations, such as a white student being the only white student and constantly called a Honkey would be just as hurtful as the opposite.

I'm surprised no one has been blunt about what's going on here.

Gabe didn't mean any ill will, because the "concerns" of the trans community are so insignificant that people (like Gabe) don't know they exist. Seriously. Do people actually think that 99.99% of the population is going to be aware of a about a 0.001% minority that they never interact with at all? And even if they were aware, do people actually think that their existence is enough to make everyone change their naming conventions so they don't offend an extremely small minority? Give me a break.

There's a distinct limit to what perceived prejudices people can give a shit about. When you get into the microscopic numbers that compose the trans community, you've crossed that line. Expecting people to drastically change their use of language to fit such a small minority is idiotic. Sucks for the people who are in that group, but at some point you can't fucking expect the whole of society to change themselves for such a small part of the whole.

Gabe didn't mean any ill will, because the "concerns" of the trans community are so insignificant that people (like Gabe) don't know they exist. Seriously. Do people actually think that 99.99% of the population is going to be aware of a about a 0.001% minority that they never interact with at all? And even if they were aware, do people actually think that their existence is enough to make everyone change their naming conventions so they don't offend an extremely small minority? Give me a break.

There's a distinct limit to what perceived prejudices people can give a shit about. When you get into the microscopic numbers that compose the trans community, you've crossed that line. Expecting people to drastically change their use of language to fit such a small minority is idiotic. Sucks for the people who are in that group, but at some point you can't fucking expect the whole of society to change themselves for such a small part of the whole.

you. I like you.

To be clear, I don't think Gabe intended or even caused any harm. All my posts are about larger issues than the inciting incident.

To be clear, I don't think Gabe intended or even caused any harm. All my posts are about larger issues than the inciting incident.
Oh no you don't. You know this is actually about celebrities and how much attention we should pay to them, getting into everything they do and dissecting every nuance of their lives. I've seen the News.

--Patrick

wow

Ah yes. The obligatory, "I can't believe that person said that" in response to someone who actually stands up and bluntly states the truth of the matter. God forbid someone bring up the obvious in that there's a distinct limit to how many minority concerns the average person can bring themselves to care about. And this is without getting into the painfully obvious facts where the minority is basically militant and demanding "feel-good" changes to terminology that's 100% accurate in its current form.

I actually have a problem when people start trying to change accurate biological terminology because it makes some remarkably small portion of society feel uncomfortable. Case in point on where this rabbit hole eventually goes:

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/197...cumentary-on-people-who-think-theyre-animals/

People who think they're animals are in fact a smaller minority than people who think they're a gender that they're not. Yet, it wouldn't surprise me if at some point down the line we hit a scenario in where the introductory greeting of, "Ladies and Gentlemen" becomes painted as some sort of privileged phrase used by those lucky fortunate people who identify themselves as human beings. Guess what? Just because you think you're a god damn tiger doesn't mean you're a tiger. You're still a human being.

I have no problems with people doing whatever they want with themselves or identifying however they feel like. I do however have a problem when extreme minority groups act like they have a right to take offense at conventional terminology because it doesn't pander specifically to them. The term "Ladies and Gentlemen" is an acceptable term for general use because 99.99% of people identify as human beings (and in fact, they are human beings). The term "boys have penises, girls have vaginas" is an acceptable term for general use because it's biologically accurate for 100% of people.