[Question] How we view posts.

Dave

Staff member
Okay, so there's a mod out there that I've already downloaded (since I paid for it as a bundle) that would change the way we view threads. I've had it a while but never pulled the trigger.

Essentially it makes threads look more like Reddit where you have top level comments then nested under that. The reason I bring this up is our various picture threads like the political picture thread where someone commented that we used to have actual pictures instead of one picture followed by pages of comments. I'm not sure if this addon can be forum-specific but if it can I might set it up for a few.

Let me know if you think this is a good idea, bad idea, or please don't change things, Dave!

You couldn't have mega-threads with that style and you might even need to make those mega-threads into their own forums. I think things are fine as they are, although I also am "squishy brained" enough (as we urge our kids to be) to try something new.

Unless we want to make every post it's own thread, I'm pretty sure we don't want to become reddit.

Threaded forums (as opposed to flat ones like ours) are much harder for me to participate in--they crank my lurking instincts a ton, and make it really hard to stay up to date on a conversation. If it were a per-thread toggle, I could theoretically see it being useful for like 2-3 threads (the picture ones, like you said) but that doesn't seem worth the maintenance/trouble.

Okay, so there's a mod out there that I've already downloaded (since I paid for it as a bundle) that would change the way we view threads. I've had it a while but never pulled the trigger.

Essentially it makes threads look more like Reddit where you have top level comments then nested under that. The reason I bring this up is our various picture threads like the political picture thread where someone commented that we used to have actual pictures instead of one picture followed by pages of comments. I'm not sure if this addon can be forum-specific but if it can I might set it up for a few.

Let me know if you think this is a good idea, bad idea, or please don't change things, Dave!
gJ5YNQZ3zK700NJYNh9M2FrpSRM=.gif

Due to some very serious gerrymandering, 51% of representatives who will vote in our name is now in favor of "yes". Maybe the system needs work.

I vote yes.

(My actual choice is really "no", but safe in the knowledge that the "no" vote is winning by a landslide, I can be edgy and contrary just to be a rascal)