Hollywoo Stars and Celebrities: Who's sexually harassing? Who's sexually harassed? Let's find out!

Anime dub actor Vic Mignogna has been in the news recently for harassment and assault. As a result, he's lost his acting gigs and conventions have dropped all his scheduled appearances.

So of COURSE his "fans" respond by showering his accusers with death and rape threats. :facepalm:

The internet was a mistake. If the *chans, twitter, and reddit were to suddenly disappear, the would would be a better place.

GasBandit

Staff member
Suddenly the Ghost Stories dub referencing Vic Mignogna knocking up a 12 year old sounds a little prescient, a-la Family Guy and Kevin Spacey.

figmentPez

Staff member
Anime dub actor Vic Mignogna has been in the news recently for harassment and assault. As a result, he's lost his acting gigs and conventions have dropped all his scheduled appearances.
FINALLY. Young women have been making accusations against him for years.

So the main story involves Seungri, a member of BIGBANG (used to be one of the biggest acts in k-pop). He's co-owner of the club Burning Sun, and is accused of using the club's VIP room to set up guests with drunk/drugged women to rape. There are also chat logs implicating him with running a prostition ring. Those same chat logs implicate him and other people in the entertainment industry with other terrible shit like sharing hidden cam sex vids and bribing cops regarding aforementioned crimes. There's some other stuff like tax evasion, but I think that's the juicy bits.

Here's a link to a different summary for something more in-depth, as I'm not entirely familiar with the situation myself.

This one is so goddamned disappointing. I love Whedon’s work, and to find out that he’s a monster to work with is a little heartbreaking. I didn’t even want to believe it at first, but there’s just too many people with too many complaints.

It's especially a bitch with him coming out with a new show that looks good, but I'm suddenly less interested in. It's one thing to enjoy something not knowing...

You know, there has always been little things Joss Whedon has said or done over the years that don't make me shocked by it. When my friends were into Buffy back in high school, there was something that rubbed me the wrong way about it at the time. (I didn't love the show until college, and it was Angel that got me to give Buffy another chance.) Even then, I had said to my BF at the time that Charisma's pregnancy was getting a really shitty story line. I got really turned off by Firefly, even though I though the cast was great. But the thing I remember really Joss on my "this might not be a good guy" radar was a interview he gave about possibly directing the Wonder Woman movie back in 2000-something. He talked about how badly he wanted to cast Summer Glau as Diana, and it was clear that his fetish for tiny women was going to super-cede the lore and the history of the character. Then his ex-wife coming out in 2017 to mention how he would use his position to sleep with women and cheat didn't shock me. Ray Fischer's accusations didn't shock me. Joss sneaking in things like "quim" and "prima nocta" into Avengers movies didn't shock me. The only thing that shocks me at this point is that it's taken so long.

Michelle "Dawn" Trachtenberg also hinted towards things that happened. She was 17 when Buffy ended.

I'd LIKE to believe she only witnessed things Whedon did, but in reality, it's probably much worse.

Oh, I forgot James Marsters has said in the past that Joss Whedon could be a petty monster. According to Marsters, Whedon was not a fan of Spike's popularity, and the "rape Buffy" story was put in to try and damage it. So add him to the alum of Charisma Carpenter, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Michelle Trachtenberg, Amber Benson and Clare Karmer (Glory) who have come forward.

You know, this is absolutely speculation and I could be proven wrong, but when Joss was complaining about being "burnt out" and "never working for Disney again" after the two Avenger films, I wonder if that had to do with Disney keeping him on a tighter leash and not getting away with his usual bullshit. I'd like to hope so, but we'll have to see.

Oh, I forgot James Marsters has said in the past that Joss Whedon could be a petty monster. According to Marsters, Whedon was not a fan of Spike's popularity, and the "rape Buffy" story was put in to try and damage it. So add him to the alum of Charisma Carpenter, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Michelle Trachtenberg, Amber Benson and Clare Karmer (Glory) who have come forward.

You know, this is absolutely speculation and I could be proven wrong, but when Joss was complaining about being "burnt out" and "never working for Disney again" after the two Avenger films, I wonder if that had to do with Disney keeping him on a tighter leash and not getting away with his usual bullshit. I'd like to hope so, but we'll have to see.
I never heard that about Marsters (who took a great picture with my daughter doing the two finger salute years ago). That makes that entire storyline even grosser, if that's possible.

You know, there has always been little things Joss Whedon has said or done over the years that don't make me shocked by it. When my friends were into Buffy back in high school, there was something that rubbed me the wrong way about it at the time.
I also recall watching Buffy during late high school/early college and having a few discussions with friends about the difference between "girl power" vs. what, to me, often seemed like an excuse to gleefully showcase a slight-of-build young woman get the everloving snot beaten out of her on the regular, with the show handwaving that it was "okay" because of her super-strength/super-healing, and thus she could "handle it." I admittedly have a nostalgic soft spot for the "high school era" of the show, though I haven't rewatched it in years; I wonder what I'd think of it these days.

Anyway, like you, I can't say I'm shocked by the news.

I wouldn't be surprised if producers, directors and co-stars having calendars, pinpointing exactly when a female star becomes legal.

I remember a website back in the day that had a countdown to when the Olsen twins would be legal.
Which was a shitty, disgusting thing to do to them, and any other female start that's gotten that treatment. I can't remember if it was the Olsens who commented on it, or another woman who had a "countdown clock", but I remember her saying it was embarrassing, disgusting, and made her uncomfortable in her own skin, knowing adult men were doing that to her.

I get thinking an 18 year old is sexy and stuff. The countdown clocks, I can think they're funny in a way, but I can definitely understand the targets not being amused (euphemistically).
The girls in question don't suddenly become "ok" to rape/abuse/have sex with on that day, though. In practice they count down to nothing.

The countdown clocks, I can think they're funny in a way, but I can definitely understand the targets not being amused (euphemistically).
Publicly announcing when it's "ok" to fuck a child isn't funny. Being a teenager is hard enough, but knowing that adults are leering at your body and thinking other things (whether you want them to or not), is sexual harrassment. It may amount to "nothing" in the sense that 99%-100% of their pervs will never have a chance to do anything physical with these girls/women, but it's still a mental and emotional abuse than treat these girls bodies and selves like commodities. I can't see how this is funny.

Well, no. I mean, as a teen boy I thought they were funny. Now... I find myself trying to rationalize it but I guess it's just kinda wrong.

Publicly announcing when it's "ok" to fuck a child isn't funny. Being a teenager is hard enough, but knowing that adults are leering at your body and thinking other things (whether you want them to or not), is sexual harrassment. It may amount to "nothing" in the sense that 99%-100% of their pervs will never have a chance to do anything physical with these girls/women, but it's still a mental and emotional abuse than treat these girls bodies and selves like commodities. I can't see how this is funny.
It's a form of casual misogyny, the kind of thing that would be done for shock value as a form of rebellion against so called "PC" culture. It's gross and abusive and I hope we (as in society) can rise above the mentality of radio shock jocks.

Which was a shitty, disgusting thing to do to them, and any other female start that's gotten that treatment. I can't remember if it was the Olsens who commented on it, or another woman who had a "countdown clock", but I remember her saying it was embarrassing, disgusting, and made her uncomfortable in her own skin, knowing adult men were doing that to her.
Emma Watson also had to deal with that. And it wasn't just random assholes on the Internet. The Sun had a countdown clock for when she turned 16.
But it is tabloid newspapers that are most fiercely criticised. The Sun and the Sunday Sport are condemned for "counting down" to the 16th birthdays of celebrities including actor Emma Watson and singer Charlotte Church. "The implication is shocking – that millions of readers should share a joke about the sexual desirability of underage girls," according to the submission. "Both young women have since reported that they found this editorial upsetting," it said.
And:
Emma said: "I remember on my 18th birthday I came out of my birthday party and photographers laid down on the pavement and took photographs up my skirt, which were then published on the front of the English tabloid [newspapers] the next morning. If they had published the photographs 24 hours earlier they would have been illegal, but because I had just turned 18 they were legal."