Hiya.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference being...?
Forrest J Ackerman used the term sci-fi (analogous to the then-trendy "hi-fi") at UCLA in 1954.[38] As science fiction entered popular culture, writers and fans active in the field came to associate the term with low-budget, low-tech "B-movies" and with low-quality pulp science fiction.[39][40][41] By the 1970s, critics within the field such as Terry Carr and Damon Knight were using sci-fi to distinguish hack-work from serious science fiction,[42] and around 1978, Susan Wood and others introduced the pronunciation "skiffy". Peter Nicholls writes that "SF" (or "sf") is "the preferred abbreviation within the community of sf writers and readers".[43] David Langford's monthly fanzine Ansible includes a regular section "As Others See Us" which offers numerous examples of "sci-fi" being used in a pejorative sense by people outside the genre.[44]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fiction#The_term_.22sci-fi.22

You read a webcomic named "Anime Club" and I'M the nerd?

It's not really a pretentious thing, it's really gotten to the point where you need to separate Space Operas and "pulp fantasies in space!" from real science fiction. Star Wars isn't science fiction, Star Trek is. It's not necessarily bad to not be science fiction, but when authors like Asimov and Clarke himself speak up against the term "Sci-Fi", it's hard to argue with them.

It's like pop and rock. It's ok to like both, and arguing which is better is subjective and stupid, but you don't go around calling them the same thing, even if the roots could be the same.

You read a webcomic named "Anime Club" and I'M the nerd?

It's not really a pretentious thing, it's really gotten to the point where you need to separate Space Operas and "pulp fantasies in space!" from real science fiction. Star Wars isn't science fiction, Star Trek is. It's not necessarily bad to not be science fiction, but when authors like Asimov and Clarke himself speak up against the term "Sci-Fi", it's hard to argue with them.

It's like pop and rock. It's ok to like both, and arguing which is better is subjective and stupid, but you don't go around calling them the same thing, even if the roots could be the same.
On the other hand, Babylon 5 isn't Star Wars, and if it isn't science fiction, I don't think most Trek should count either.

Yeah, I never said B5 isn't science fiction, just that I didn't like scifi when GasBandit told me that if I did I would then need to like B5.

I just never could get into that show.

GasBandit

Staff member
Also, if you haven't read "Anime Club" you need to. Don't worry, there isn't a lot to catch up on.[DOUBLEPOST=1357768558][/DOUBLEPOST]
View attachment 9626

Almost every top name Security Officer. ;)
Pfft, shapeshifting's so passe in the B5verse that they have technology to make it a consumer item.

Garibaldi, however, is so genre savvy a computer simulation of his personality outsmarted its programmer and caused a nuclear first strike.

Pfft, shapeshifting's so passe in the B5verse that they have technology to make it a consumer item.

Garibaldi, however, is so genre savvy a computer simulation of his personality outsmarted its programmer and caused a nuclear first strike.
Yes, in his universe he's a high level badass, in Odo's he's one as well.

Are we going to compare B5 and Trek tech now?

For someone who "champions" political correctness, you sure like to use generalizations. *looks at his username*
it's not my fault that Achewood is one of the good ones and Penny Arcade goes around with its pants down to its ankles, talking in its ghetto slang, listening to rap music and gangbanging

it's not my fault that Achewood is one of the good ones and Penny Arcade goes around with its pants down to its ankles, talking in its ghetto slang, listening to rap music and gangbanging
You're dealing in absolutes anyway, Sith. You said those two were the ONLY webcomics that didn't "completely fucking suck always". Those are 2 generalizations right there. Nice logic. You should jump down your own throat with sentences like that.

I like science fiction, not scifi, there's your problem.
I like Science Fiction and SciFi, but lately I've been rather disappointed with SyFy.

And I believe Star Trek is generally regarded as "Science Fantasy."
Wait, lemme see if I can dig up a graphic I posted on this subject a loooooong time ago...
…nuts, can't find it (we can't look up our uploaded graphics any more? Aww…), I'll repost it here when I get back home, but it was regarding the Silistra series

--Patrick

fade

Staff member
When I think of science fantasy, I think of things like A Wrinkle in Time or A Princess of Mars. There's a focus on the science, but it is beyond unlikely, and more specifically, it has fantasy elements.

Unfortunately that's a pretty subjective measure. Knowing what we know now, Edgar Rice Burroughs would not be considered science fiction. The atmosphere on nearby planets is not human compatible, and there aren't creatures on those planets.

But he is certainly considered an early pioneer of science fiction, and you'll be hard pressed to find any serious science fiction organization claim otherwise.

Wait, lemme see if I can dig up a graphic I posted on this subject a loooooong time ago...
…nuts, can't find it (we can't look up our uploaded graphics any more? Aww…), I'll repost it here when I get back home, but it was regarding the Silistra series
Here's the graphic (It's pretty big):

100_0654b.jpg

EDIT: Shrunk it a bit more, it was WAY too big.
Notice how even the publisher can't decide whether or not this series is Fantasy, Science Fiction, etc. And then there's that "Science Fantasy" novel just below.
What? By whom? If stuff like The Inner Light, Measure of a Man, Chain of Command etc aren't science fiction, then nothing is.
Incidentally, "The Inner Light" is my favorite episode in all of Trekdom.
I'm pretty sure this is a subjective thing, but I know authors like Larry Niven, Hal Clement, and others call what they do "hard" SF (which is what I see meant by "Science Fiction" as opposed to "SciFi" above), meaning that everything that they write is based on Science as it was known at the time of writing (or at least a best effort). Star Trek, in particular, has often been called out because they play fast and loose with Physics, especially as it applies to transporters, communication, genetics, etc. That is to say, in Trek, Nature often bows to the plot device of the moment. It makes great stories, certainly, but it lacks accuracy...even to itself. That is, even if you assume the laws of Physics actually are different in the Trek universe, they will up and violate their very own rules in another episode. So long as it's not too glaring, it doesn't ruin the immersion, but there have certainly been some eye rollers. I know that Arthur C. Clarke is quoted as saying, "Any sufficiently advanced techn0logy is indistinguishable from Magic," but there's a lot of the Trek universe that seems to operate purely on Faith and/or Whimsy. Again, doesn't stop me from enjoying it, just frays a little at the edges.

--Patrick

No, I've always seen Hard SF as, well, a really rigorous subset of SF, but making then all "soft" SF "SciFi" is unfair. There's a reason the term Hard SF exists.

Reducing Star Trek to "Science Fantasy" because it doesn't go deeply into technicalities (this would make ANY Hard SF series become bogged down with long, technical explanations. Hard SF is almost exclusively written because of this, it's not very compatible with the pacing of television or movies) is taking it too far.

Besides, I've truly never, ever heard it being referred to as a "Fantasy". Wikipedia, which has TONS of pages on the discussion for terms like these goes with "Star Trek is an American science fiction entertainment franchise", whereas something that is DEFINITELY not SF like Star Wars goes with "Star Wars is an American epic space opera franchise"

Calling Star Trek fantasy is almost insulting :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.