[PC Game] Hearthstone (Practically Beta)

Yeah. Even I had seen it elsewhere. It's gonna be the "super full parry" of Hearthstone until something sillier comes along.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
I was cleaning off my desktop and found this screenshot I'd grabbed:
Hearthstone Screenshot 08-10-17 14.54.10.png

This might be the most insane board I've ever had in arena.

This is less impressive, since it happened in casual, but it's still pretty crazy to get unbound elementals this big:

Hearthstone Screenshot 08-29-17 03.57.53.png

GasBandit

Staff member
That guy's movements make me think he is either suffering from stroke or a palsy. In fact, he looks so much so, that I thought I'd better google him to make sure he actually doesn't before I go saying something like that. (Near as I could find in 30 seconds, he doesn't)

And yet somehow he is the most watched Hearthstone streamer. (Probably because people like to make fun of him for how salty he is)

That guy's movements make me think he is either suffering from stroke or a palsy. In fact, he looks so much so, that I thought I'd better google him to make sure he actually doesn't before I go saying something like that. (Near as I could find in 30 seconds, he doesn't)
I used to think he talked that way because he was drunk all the time.
Try watching all of his videos at 2x speed. He seems almost normal then.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
I've been thinking about the Firey War Axe nerf, and I'm wondering why they didn't give it "Gain 3 Armor". That would still be very simple and in keeping with the Warrior archetype, it wouldn't be of much advantage to aggro decks, but it would be a small benefit to midrange and control. I really think Blizzard should have tried a little harder to keep one of the best weapons in the game from becoming one of the worst, especially in a class that has a really bad new player experience.

I've been thinking about the Firey War Axe nerf, and I'm wondering why they didn't give it "Gain 3 Armor". That would still be very simple and in keeping with the Warrior archetype, it wouldn't be of much advantage to aggro decks, but it would be a small benefit to midrange and control. I really think Blizzard should have tried a little harder to keep one of the best weapons in the game from becoming one of the worst, especially in a class that has a really bad new player experience.
They don't like adding card text. Changing numbers is much more straight forward. Their other option was to move FWA to the hall of fame.

figmentPez

Staff member
They don't like adding card text. Changing numbers is much more straight forward. Their other option was to move FWA to the hall of fame.
I don't give a fuck what they don't like. An ideal like that should never come ahead of making the game better. It's not complicated card text. It's not a new mechanic. It's something that already exists on many other warrior cards. Nerf the card to the point where it hurts new players or move it to the Hall of Fame at the start of the next Hearthstone year? Those are bad options, and I've just presented one I think works better.

And while they're at it, they should fix Starving Buzzard (2 mana 2/2 For the first beast you summon each turn, draw a card) and help ensure that the new player experience is something that helps keep the game alive.

I don't give a fuck what they don't like. An ideal like that should never come ahead of making the game better. It's not complicated card text. It's not a new mechanic. It's something that already exists on many other warrior cards. Nerf the card to the point where it hurts new players or move it to the Hall of Fame at the start of the next Hearthstone year? Those are bad options, and I've just presented one I think works better.

And while they're at it, they should fix Starving Buzzard (2 mana 2/2 For the first beast you summon each turn, draw a card) and help ensure that the new player experience is something that helps keep the game alive.
I don't understand why you're upset? Do you think people can't play warrior now because Fiery War Axe is 3 mana?

I don't understand why you're upset? Do you think people can't play warrior now because Fiery War Axe is 3 mana?
I think because new players will have a harder time playing warrior now. Yeah, we can get around this, but Blizzard keeps hitting basic cards good enough to be included in competitive decks.

Of course, Ben Brode pretty much said Hearthstone isn't for new players anymore.

I think because new players will have a harder time playing warrior now. Yeah, we can get around this, but Blizzard keeps hitting basic cards good enough to be included in competitive decks.

Of course, Ben Brode pretty much said Hearthstone isn't for new players anymore.
I suppose it depends on whether playing warrior means 'playing competitively' or just playing for fun. Before the nerf, pirate warrior was often seen as a cheap deck that is still very competitive, and as of today it is still a cheap deck and still one of the best performing decks, and even still runs fiery war axe. In fact not much changed aside from shifting out some of the weapon buffs.

All the change to fiery war axe did is reduce the snowball effect that was drowning out other deck types.

figmentPez

Staff member
It's a lot harder to build a Warrior deck as a new player than it used to be. A lot of Hearthstone players have said so. I'm pretty sure not one of the six players in the Octoberbrawl has played a Warrior deck.

It's not just FWA, it's also Warsong Commander, and Execute. It's not that these cards didn't need to be nerfed, it's just that Warrior doesn't have a lot of great Basic cards, and nerfing these cards to keep highly refined decks from being a problem, it also made it that much more difficult to build a Warrior deck from a small collection.

I suppose it depends on whether playing warrior means 'playing competitively' or just playing for fun. Before the nerf, pirate warrior was often seen as a cheap deck that is still very competitive, and as of today it is still a cheap deck and still one of the best performing decks, and even still runs fiery war axe. In fact not much changed aside from shifting out some of the weapon buffs.

All the change to fiery war axe did is reduce the snowball effect that was drowning out other deck types.
Pirate Warrior may be cheap compared to a lot of other top tier decks, but it's not a new player deck. 2 - 3 legendaries, and 4 Epics is not something that you're going to be using to complete Warrior quests in a new account.

The new player experience is not about how much dust it costs to make one deck, it's how easy it is to build 9 decks, so you can have fun playing all of the classes. And do so without disenchanting non-duplicates. Remember when Bloodsail Corsair was a trash card that everyone said to disenchant because it was never going to be run? Well, it saw a lot of play this expansion! It feels bad to have to disenchant cards you don't have duplicates of, and it feels worse to realize a card you DE'ed is now a card you're crafting because it's relevant.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, lack of diversity in the meta is as much about how hard it is to build enough of a collection to experiment with, as it is about balance between the classes. If cards are scarce and dust must be rationed, then players are more likely to only build and play decks that are known to be good. If cards are plentiful, then it gives players the freedom to mess around.

I can get around it no problem, but it's hard to introduce people to the game as the only cards they're guaranteed to be given keep getting worse.

I suppose I just disagree, I don't see fwa as a problem. It is the worst 3/2 weapon now, but it's also the only basic weapon that you get for free, and is still totally fine. It hasn't gone away, many people still run it, the same way hunters run eaglehorn bow even without secrets.

And before someone points out that I own all the cards, I do play two free accounts. One on eu and one on Asia.

As for the "new player experience" he doesn't seem to be dying, but I am all for making it easier to earn gold or cards

I also feel like starting Hearthstone brand new is either "you need to spend $$$ to catch up to everyone else" or else get used to not getting above rank 20 unless you get lucky in arena a lot.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
Significant changes coming to the way effects trigger:

This is going to cause a lot of confusion when it first hits, and probably will introduce new bugs. I'm thinking it will be for the best in the long term, though.

The day Blizzard banned Flappy Bird from arena, Kripp needed emergency surgery for appendicitis. I hope he can remote in for Octoberbrawl because Team Light needs to finish embarrassing Team Dark.

figmentPez

Staff member
Wow, lots of important changes in this patch:

- Spells that are canceled by Counterspell will now trigger any “Whenever you cast a spell” and “After you cast a spell” effects.
- Lord Jaraxxus no longer triggers Repentance, Sacred Trial, and Snipe.
- Unlicensed Apothecary now reads: “After you summon a minion, deal 5 damage to your hero.” It will no longer activate from any Evolve effects.
- It is no longer possible to cancel Choose One cards before the choices appear, this should resolve issues where the Choose One effect could be canceled too easily.
- Hearthstone’s engine has been updated to Unity version 5.6.
- Animations for Mimic Pod, Chromaggus, Shifting Shade, Ghastly Conjurer, and Cutpurse should no longer have a long pause.
- Mana-cost reductions on cards such as Dragon’s Breath, Solemn Vigil, Everyfin is Awesome, and Obsidian Shard will now apply after all other mana cost changes, such as the effects from cards like Naga Sea Witch.

- Dirty Rat’s history tile now shows which minion was pulled, if any.

And a TON of other bug fixes.