[PC Game] Hearthstone (Practically Beta)

Yeah, but it was double nerfed. It lost the ability to do damage to face, but it also got doubled in mana cost. It's so terrible at removal that many people thought that even Envenom Weapon couldn't make Blade Flurry playable at 4 mana. Why is it so extremely expensive?
Because Blizzard's class identity for rogue includes good single target removal and bad aoe removal. They don't want it to be good.

Right now everyone's so excited about quests that they're building decks that have the sole purpose of completing the quest. This works for some quests, not others. Rogues can lay it all on their quest, as can druids. Warlock, mage, and priest still need to have competent decks outside of quest requirements or else the quest is worthless. Eventually we'll see decks where the quest is an option but not the sole win condition.

Pirate warrior is still a valid choice though. It lost very little in rotation and is still fast and mean unless you use a lot of taunt minions.

Still haven't experimented much with elemental synergy. There's a lot to unpackage in this expansion.

Right now everyone's so excited about quests that they're building decks that have the sole purpose of completing the quest. This works for some quests, not others. Rogues can lay it all on their quest, as can druids. Warlock, mage, and priest still need to have competent decks outside of quest requirements or else the quest is worthless. Eventually we'll see decks where the quest is an option but not the sole win condition.

Pirate warrior is still a valid choice though. It lost very little in rotation and is still fast and mean unless you use a lot of taunt minions.

Still haven't experimented much with elemental synergy. There's a lot to unpackage in this expansion.
Quest mage is the new freeze mage. I've been able to beat quest rogue just by freezing them for enough turns to get my waygate opened and then slamming down molten and arcane giants when they pop my block. Also had Yogg in my deck to save my ass a couple of times. :p

HAH, now that quest rogue is the current "OP net deck" I'm playing against a lot of rogues who can't figure out how the deck actually works. -_-

Quest mage is the new freeze mage. I've been able to beat quest rogue just by freezing them for enough turns to get my waygate opened and then slamming down molten and arcane giants when they pop my block. Also had Yogg in my deck to save my ass a couple of times. :p
I'll have to try that since I have the mage quest.

So far I feel like the only good deck I've built is for my warlock quest, though I have won a couple games solely on people conceding against a juiced-up Galvadon protected behind Tirion Fordring.

Oh god, the terrible rogues hurt my brain so bad. Even more so when they fucking suck, but win anyways.

Here's an example.

Kibler played against a rogue that got their Crystal Core.

Didn't play it yet.

Then sacrificed their Moroes to do 1 damage.

figmentPez

Staff member
My Druid Quest deck is not good. BUT IT IS FUN! Holy crap, it's so satisfying to Nourish into 3 cards that you can play immediately.

My Druid Quest deck is not good. BUT IT IS FUN! Holy crap, it's so satisfying to Nourish into 3 cards that you can play immediately.
My wife crafted that one on purpose and has been loving it.

Kinda sucks that every quest is a legendary. Even though I have four, they're so deck-defining that part of me wants to try them all.

I opened up my account to find that everything I have is Wild now. Back to the drawing board, I guess.
I only got one legendary in my packs, and it was one of the quests. I forget which one, but if it wasn't the Rogue one, I guess I won't be winning many games.

--Patrick

I opened up my account to find that everything I have is Wild now. Back to the drawing board, I guess.
I only got one legendary in my packs, and it was one of the quests. I forget which one, but if it wasn't the Rogue one, I guess I won't be winning many games.

--Patrick
You should hit convert and check what needs to change before getting rid of a deck. Sometimes it's crucial stuff you didn't realize was part of Grand Tournament, but I had a couple decks where the only offending card was Azure Drake.

figmentPez

Staff member
TIL: That if you mulligan a Quest, you don't get it back in the opening hand. The way most of the card reviews covered it, I assumed it was going to be in your opening hand no matter what. You can get rid of it if you want to search harder for answers to suspected aggro. Probably not a good choice for most Quest decks, would be my guess, though.

TIL: That if you mulligan a Quest, you don't get it back in the opening hand. The way most of the card reviews covered it, I assumed it was going to be in your opening hand no matter what. You can get rid of it if you want to search harder for answers to suspected aggro. Probably not a good choice for most Quest decks, would be my guess, though.
Depends, mage can pretty safely Mulligan it since they can always wait to play discovered spells (though I would always keep it on coin) and priest can also do the same, since they're quest is a game extender and not a win condition.

Rogue could do this as well, but it's easier to just finish quest on turn 4 and win (I don't actually think quest rogue is as oppressive as people think, but time will tell)

I've been trying out Hunter since that has the better cards that I pulled from my packs, and Beast Hunter's pretty nice now. Jeweled Macaw, Crackling Razormaw, and the poisonous snail in the early game and the Volcanosaur as a late game finisher all work out nicely. I'm still only in the mid-teen ranks, but it's been an easier climb than the past couple of months, and while most of my losses have come against Rogue quest decks, I still have a positive record against them overall. FYI, the Snipe secret is a decent card against Quest Rouges, it's one of the only ways to kill their cheap guys before they get the chance to bounce them in the early game.

Though this is partly because I haven't run into any Taunt Warriors in ranked so far, which wrecked this deck pretty badly when I was testing it in causal.

Depends, mage can pretty safely Mulligan it since they can always wait to play discovered spells (though I would always keep it on coin) and priest can also do the same, since they're quest is a game extender and not a win condition.

Rogue could do this as well, but it's easier to just finish quest on turn 4 and win (I don't actually think quest rogue is as oppressive as people think, but time will tell)
I played quest rogue twice last night and both times I drew like shit and didn't get the right cards to complete the quest. Which is basically my luck. ;)

I've been trying out Hunter since that has the better cards that I pulled from my packs, and Beast Hunter's pretty nice now. Jeweled Macaw, Crackling Razormaw, and the poisonous snail in the early game and the Volcanosaur as a late game finisher all work out nicely. I'm still only in the mid-teen ranks, but it's been an easier climb than the past couple of months, and while most of my losses have come against Rogue quest decks, I still have a positive record against them overall. FYI, the Snipe secret is a decent card against Quest Rouges, it's one of the only ways to kill their cheap guys before they get the chance to bounce them in the early game.

Though this is partly because I haven't run into any Taunt Warriors in ranked so far, which wrecked this deck pretty badly when I was testing it in causal.
I like taunt warrior now, which I have renamed Trump warrior. We're gonna build a wall, and we'll make aggro pay for it.[DOUBLEPOST=1491663656,1491663584][/DOUBLEPOST]
I played quest rogue twice last night and both times I drew like shit and didn't get the right cards to complete the quest. Which is basically my luck. ;)
That's why I don't like all in quest rogue. I've been playing a midrange elemental variant that seeks to play on curve until a big swing turn with quest

That's why I don't like all in quest rogue. I've been playing a midrange elemental variant that seeks to play on curve until a big swing turn with quest
From what I've seen, that's probably the way to go. With the token generating elementals, you don't even need to do all the bouncing that other rogues have to, so you're not totally ceding the board with "play swashburglar/deckhand/whatever, then bounce (repeat as you get more mana)" early turns.

I just don't like to play quest rogue at all really. I'd rather play the jade rogue deck I have, which could complete the quest easily enough, but the quest would ruin it. :p

More bad player stuff: Yesterday a rogue played a 12/12 Van Cleef, and then the next turn before even attacking with the Van Cleef, played his Crystal Core.

I just don't like to play quest rogue at all really. I'd rather play the jade rogue deck I have, which could complete the quest easily enough, but the quest would ruin it. :p

More bad player stuff: Yesterday a rogue played a 12/12 Van Cleef, and then the next turn before even attacking with the Van Cleef, played his Crystal Core.
It's good to note that van Cleef does still work so long as you play him after the crystal core, since his battlecry adds to his base stats

Somehow C'thun ate my Ozruk and became a 16/41 with taunt.

Whereas Ozruk would've won the turn before had I thought to add crazed alchemist to my deck.

So far I really like Time Warp, but I don't have Antonidas, so I can't use the infinite fireball strat.

However, I just had the biggest bullshit Praise Yogg moment, when I was at 1hp, no ice blocks left, and only 4/6 on my quest, which ended with me at 3 health with 7 armor, a misdirect up, a Soggoth in hand, a 9/9 Yogg with stegodon taunt, and I ended up winning with my waygate after a few more rounds. Pretty sure that full health shaman was very tilted. :p

So far I really like Time Warp, but I don't have Antonidas, so I can't use the infinite fireball strat.

However, I just had the biggest bullshit Praise Yogg moment, when I was at 1hp, no ice blocks left, and only 4/6 on my quest, which ended with me at 3 health with 7 armor, a misdirect up, a Soggoth in hand, a 9/9 Yogg with stegodon taunt, and I ended up winning with my waygate after a few more rounds. Pretty sure that full health shaman was very tilted. :p
That infinite fireball is some bullshit. Just sat there and watched it all happen under the watchful gaze of four sorcerer's apprentices ... against MY full health shaman :p.

That infinite fireball is some bullshit. Just sat there and watched it all happen under the watchful gaze of four sorcerer's apprentices ... against MY full health shaman :p.
I have yet to play a mage that pulls that off, because they too netdecked it and always play their apprentices pre time warp. /facepalm

I have yet to play a mage that pulls that off, because they too netdecked it and always play their apprentices pre time warp. /facepalm
That's probably what I'd end up doing if I netdecked it :p. But this one knew what they were doing. To show off some more, they also eradicated each of my minions first.

That's probably what I'd end up doing if I netdecked it :p. But this one knew what they were doing. To show off some more, they also eradicated each of my minions first.
After posting that, I had to explain to my husband the exact order you need to play everything for it to work.