[PC Game] Hearthstone (Practically Beta)

figmentPez

Staff member
All the time? Or only if I win?
You're guaranteed at least a pack of cards (that's 5 random cards, at least one rare, if you've never opened a pack) from the arena, even if you lose three straight matches. So, even if you do terribly, in a way you're just paying 50 gold for the arena experience.

However, to get money to participate in the arena, you have to earn gold which you can only do by finishing the quests. You can only finish the quests through online play with your standard and custom decks, so yes, it is a good idea to unlock all the cards for your class first.
The first run through the arena is free, and the only reason to hold off on spending the gold, if you have it, is a lack of experience. Strategy in the area, both for picking decks and for playing a match, is somewhat dependent on knowing what type of cards are out there, and what to expect from various classes.

I don't really like deck building, so I've done most of my casual play matches with the default decks, and the matchmaking is good enough that I'm having fun playing. Sure, I've gotten curb-stomped by opponents with much better decks, but that's far from common.

My advice, have fun, and I think the arena is fun (well, not when I was sick and foggy headed, but now that I'm feeling better). If 7 of your 10 classes are only at level 1, though, you really run the risk of only being able to choose a hero that you're very unfamiliar with. I guess it depends on how much risk you feel is fun, and how much you'll value the novelty and rush of flying by the seat of your pants.

You're guaranteed at least a pack of cards (that's 5 random cards, at least one rare, if you've never opened a pack) from the arena, even if you lose three straight matches. So, even if you do terribly, in a way you're just paying 50 gold for the arena experience.

The first run through the arena is free, and the only reason to hold off on spending the gold, if you have it, is a lack of experience. Strategy in the area, both for picking decks and for playing a match, is somewhat dependent on knowing what type of cards are out there, and what to expect from various classes.

I don't really like deck building, so I've done most of my casual play matches with the default decks, and the matchmaking is good enough that I'm having fun playing. Sure, I've gotten curb-stomped by opponents with much better decks, but that's far from common.

My advice, have fun, and I think the arena is fun (well, not when I was sick and foggy headed, but now that I'm feeling better). If 7 of your 10 classes are only at level 1, though, you really run the risk of only being able to choose a hero that you're very unfamiliar with. I guess it depends on how much risk you feel is fun, and how much you'll value the novelty and rush of flying by the seat of your pants.
It's still a good idea to level all the hero decks up to ten to at least have access to all your class basic cards before venturing online.

figmentPez

Staff member
It's still a good idea to level all the hero decks up to ten to at least have access to all your class basic cards before venturing online.
If you want to be cautious about entering the arena, I guess, but I don't see any reason to not jump right into the casual play section.

I've been playing with warlock. At first I thought his hero power was lame--why would I want to damage myself? Then I realized you start running around of cards fairly quick and the extra draw can save your ass.

health is usually pretty expendable up until you start to get low, so don't be afraid to tap whenever you can, or to use those awesome minions that hurt you (flame imps are amazing)

figmentPez

Staff member
Yeah, card draw is super important. Having options, especially in the late game when you've got the mana to, potentially, play multiple cards.

I had a game the other day when I actually ran out of cards in my deck. Well, I had one left and intentionally healed a minion to draw the last. Good thing I had lots of health, because I didn't realize that trying to draw with no cards left causes a point of damage due to "fatigue". Now I have to wonder if anyone has died due to card draw.

My Paladin arena deck is now 2 - 1 and I don't think my loss was too horrible. Here is my deck, I didn't think to keep track of my choices, because I'm pretty sure I'm kind of lacking in stuff like Consecration, or something else to clear a board.

1x Blessing of Might
2x Humility
1x Repentence
1x Holy Light
1x Argent Protector
1x Bloodsail Raider
1x Frostwolf Grunt
1x Novice Engineer
1x Sword of Justice
2x Aldor Peacekeeper
1x Magma Ravager
1x Mind Control Tech
1x Raid Leader
1x Truesilver Champion
2x Blessing of Kings
2x Hammer of Wrath
1x Sen'jin Shieldmasta
1x Darkscale Healer
1x Frostwolf Warlord
1x Stampeding Kodo
2x Stormpike Commando
1x Stranglethorn Tiger
1x Avenging Wrath
1x Reckless Rocketeer
1x Ysera

So far my favorite cards are:

Sword of Justice - Holy crap is this thing awesome. I want it so bad. When you have it minions get +1/+1, and it loses 1 durability. As long as you don't attack, that's 5 buffed minions. I think this is the main reason I won my two matches.

Avenging Wrath - 8 damage, randomly spread for 6 mana. Both times I've used it to finish off my opponent, with no minions on the board. The game I lost I was swamped with minions before I even had a chance to play it.

Other cards have come in useful, and I know are better picks, overall (like Truesilver Champion) but those are the ones that have been the most fun.

I hope I get a chance to play Ysera before I finish with this deck. I had a choice between her, Deathwing and Ragnaros the the Firelord. Deathwing struck me as more of a game ender, and Ragnaros I wasn't really sure of, but I knew Ysera looked like a fun card to play, and I wanted fun.

Death to fatigue happens a lot, especially in higher level play where control decks battle it out in long games. The damage done by fatigue goes up every time you draw, so while it starts with 1 damage, it moves to two, and three, and so on.

Reynald has spent so much IRL money to craft all his legendaries as Gold. It's quite insane. Some of his decks are 30/30 Gold.

figmentPez

Staff member
I ended my run at 5 wins. My rewards:

60 Gold
55 Dust
1 Pack
- 2x Snipe
- Doomguard
- Dark Iron Dwarf
- Wrath

Not terrible, since I plan to use Wrath and Doomguard. Didn't need a third Snipe, though.

I ended my run at 5 wins. My rewards:

60 Gold
55 Dust
1 Pack
- 2x Snipe
- Doomguard
- Dark Iron Dwarf
- Wrath

Not terrible, since I plan to use Wrath and Doomguard. Didn't need a third Snipe, though.
You can disenchant your extras to craft cards you actually want.

figmentPez

Staff member
You can disenchant your extras to craft cards you actually want.
Yeah, but it was only worth 5 dust. At this point there are so many other common cards I still don't have any of, it's a little frustrating to get a third of a card I'm not wild about.

figmentPez

Staff member
Commons are... well, common. It'll happen a lot.
Yeah, but the chances it happening so early are a lot lower than it will be later, once I have most of the common cards. There are dozens of common cards I haven't gotten yet, and only a few that I do have.

Edit: I find it kind of strange that there aren't just lists of how many cards there are to collect, at least not that I could find easily, but from doing some filtered searching on HearthPwn, I found that there are ~94 common, expert, non-token cards (i.e. common cards that aren't part of the basic deck, or otherwise uncollectable). I've opened about 7 packs at this point, which gives me a max of 28 common cards (though I know I don't have that, since I've got two of a several, and 3 of a couple as well). So, if I only have about 22 of the common cards, that means there are 72 common cards remaining that I don't have. Each card could have over 75% chance of being something I don't have at this point, though I am guessing that not all commons drop at the same rate. The odds of getting two of a card that I already have, in the same pack, are pretty damn low. I'm glad I got some cards I like to make up for such lousy luck.

Last edited:
You know, I'd like to continue playing on through, but this IS beta---won't all my progress be wiped when release comes around?

Yeah, but the chances it happening so early are a lot lower than it will be later, once I have most of the common cards. There are dozens of common cards I haven't gotten yet, and only a few that I do have.

Edit: I find it kind of strange that there aren't just lists of how many cards there are to collect, at least not that I could find easily, but from doing some filtered searching on HearthPwn, I found that there are ~94 common, expert, non-token cards (i.e. common cards that aren't part of the basic deck, or otherwise uncollectable). I've opened about 7 packs at this point, which gives me a max of 28 common cards (though I know I don't have that, since I've got two of a several, and 3 of a couple as well). So, if I only have about 22 of the common cards, that means there are 72 common cards remaining that I don't have. Each card could have over 75% chance of being something I don't have at this point, though I am guessing that not all commons drop at the same rate. The odds of getting two of a card that I already have, in the same pack, are pretty damn low. I'm glad I got some cards I like to make up for such lousy luck.
Yeah the same sort of thing happened to me. First ten packs got 6 mad bombers and 5 noble sacs. It happens. In the following 35 packs I've opened, no more noble sacs and only 2 more mad bombers so my luck did even out, just took awhile.

Anyway congrats on getting 5 wins. :)

You know, I'd like to continue playing on through, but this IS beta---won't all my progress be wiped when release comes around?
Yeah, the only reason they call it a beta at this point is to cover their butts, gamechange and bugwise. For all intents and purposes, it's basically already released.

I played the intro games but didn't play the last guy yet. We'll see if I do end up playing it. I don't know why I'm not enthralled with the game, I loved Magic back in the day and this is similar enough it should keep me interested. It's ok I suppose.

figmentPez

Staff member
Wow, really had a crappy area run this morning. Chose Rogue over Paladin (just used) and Shaman (not fond of) and ended up getting what I think were horrible card choices, on the whole. I ended up going 1 - 3.

Here were my choices, feel free to criticize or commiserate:
Imp Master - Headcrack - Angry Chicken
Not being familiar with Headcrack, I went with something more useful early game.

Defias Ringleader - Elven Archer - Sap
Kind of wish I'd gone with Sap in retrospect, though Defias came in handy.

Dire Wolf Alpha - Silverback Patriarch - Mad Bomber

Sunwalker - Mana Wraith - <Got in a hurry, forgot to write down the third, it sucked)

Loot Hoarder - Frostwolf Grunt - Spiteful Smith
Should have gone Loot Hoarder

Core Hound - Sinister Strike - Backstab

Chillwind Yeti - Gnomish Inventor - Ironforge Rifleman

Shattered Sun Cleric - Betrayal - Boulderfist Ogre
This was a good choice.

Ironforge Rifleman - Chillwind Yeti - Silvermoon Guardian

Coldlight Oracle - Gadgetzan Acutioneer - Twilight Drake
I used this card very well.

Leper Gnome - Sprint - Grimscale Oracle

Core Hound - Bounderfist Ogre - Gurubash Berserker

Stormwind Knight - Murloc Tidehunter - Defias Ringleader

Shieldbearer - Stormwind Champion - Ogre Magi

Dark Iron Dwarf - Cold Blood - Core Hound

Stormpike Commando - Sinister Strike - Worgen Infiltrator

Ogre Magi - Shadowstep - Conceal

Stranglethorn Tiger - Raging Worgen - Leper Gnome

Dire Wolf Alpha - Booty Bay Bodyguard - Shadowstep

Sunfury Protector - Sunwalker - Murloc Tidecaller

Kobold Geomancer - Stormwind Champion - Frostwolf Warlord

Leper Gnome - Ironfur Grizzly - Archmage

Faerie Dragon - Wolfrider - Shattered Sun Cleric

Dread Corsair - Murloc Raider - Vanish

Flesheating Ghoul - Reckless Rocketeer - Silvermoon Guardian

Frost Elemental - Frostwolf Grunt - Elven Archer

Hungry Crab - Faceless Manipulator - Big Game Hunter

Youthful Brewmaster - War Golem - Thrallmar Farseer

Master Swordsmith - Ravenholdt Asassin - Abomination
Kind of wish I'd gone with Abomination in retrospect.

Argent Commander - Angry Chicken - Perdition's Blade
WTF? Only one chance for a weapon in a Rogue deck?

My best move came in my winning game. I pulled back a damaged Twilight Drake, and then played Sprint. The next turn I played the drake, Cold Blooded and Faceless Manipulator to have two 8 - 12 minions on the board.

Two of my three losses were pretty bad, and I just got curbstomped. The other loss was closer, but I still didn't have much of a chance.

figmentPez

Staff member
Oh, yes, the rewards I got for even my pathetic 1 win were enough to make me happy. I got a card (Young Dragonhawk) and a pack. Inside the pack were:
- Bane of Doom (Epic)
- Mortal Strike (Rare)
- Blood Imp
- Raging Worgen
- Thrallmar Farseer

I think it's time I built a Warlock deck.

Your choices weren't bad. Defias Ringleader >> Sap. Seriously, scrubs all day every day.

Frostwolf Grunt is really, really bad. I'd even take elven archer over it, but I think frost elemental would have been the best choice there.

I'd take a dark iron dwarf over cold blood in most cases. They serve more or less the same purpose, giving an attack bonus to a minion that you're hopefully going to use immediately (because it'll likely be removed next turn) but the bonus of the dwarf is you get an extra minion out of it. Still not a bad choice, just a difference in opinion.

Gnomish inventor over a yeti? The only time I'd take that is if I was already full on 4 drops and desperately needed more 2's. Gnomish Inventor just isn't that useful since the nerf, though it can still serve a a role if you just need bodies for the early game. That said, yeti is one of the strongest cards in the game. Use it. Love it.

Youthful Brewmaster - War Golem - Thrallmar Farseer

I personally would have taken either other card over Thrallmar Farseer. Youthful Brewmaster is a good card to play on an empty board without its warcry, and with its warcry you can bounce back damaged minions to replay them at full health, or take advantages of warcries like shattered sun cleric or dark iron dwarf. War Golem is just a solid late game minion. Thrallmar Farseer most times is just a 2/3 for 3, which is one mana too expensive for what you get, and while I know the dream is to play cold blood on it and have it start windfury attacking, 9 times out of 10 it just dies immediately. It's low health means that you can't take advantage of windfury when trading with minions either.

figmentPez

Staff member
I've started building my own decks. I'm pretty happy with some, but I've learned a few things:
- You can only have 10 cards in your hand. If you draw any more they just get burnt up.
- My Rogue deck sucks, and I'm not sure how to fix it.
- Truesilver Champion is a great weapon, but it's +2 health applies before you attack. In the very limited cases you have full heath and want to attack a minion, it's health bonus is worthless.

- Truesilver Champion is a great weapon, but it's +2 health applies before you attack. In the very limited cases you have full heath and want to attack a minion, it's health bonus is worthless.
The main power of truesilver champion is minion removal. The health bonus is just a small bonus, and at full health you've got plenty of health to spare anyway. Weapons are usually more valuable early game when you have health to spare, the healing bonus on truesilver champion allows it to also be useful late game. So don't think of it as wasting healing.