[PC Game] Hearthstone (Practically Beta)

re: novice engineer

Time to replace her with loot hoarder[DOUBLEPOST=1389722530,1389722311][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, and I forgot to add, Abusive Sergeant got a big buff. It's now a much smaller version of what Dark Iron Dwarf used to be, giving a friendly minion a +2 attack buff permanently until end of turn. -edit: whoops, read that wrong.

And charge is useless now. Costs 3 mana to give a minion charge and +2 attack? Fuck no.

So frustrating. Still having the same crash. The tech support forums are still about as helpful as my grandfather with dementia (though look at how many blue posts are next to threads with titles like: Help, I can't buy packs!).

So frustrating. Still having the same crash. The tech support forums are still about as helpful as my grandfather with dementia (though look at how many blue posts are next to threads with titles like: Help, I can't buy packs!).
That really sucks, man. I have no idea what the problem is.

Yeah, it seems to be a fairly common issue there with not a lot of sense making answers.

It keeps crashing. Here's my dxdiag and the report.

-Your fonts are corrupted.

That makes no sense and I actually checked that and they aren't.

-Silence

Sad drawn out sigh.

Yeah, it seems to be a fairly common issue there with not a lot of sense making answers.

It keeps crashing. Here's my dxdiag and the report.

-Your fonts are corrupted.

That makes no sense and I actually checked that and they aren't.

-Silence

Sad drawn out sigh.
Does this help at all? It looks like someone was having problems with a font that they couldn't find, and found this method of fixing it.

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/10311481378

UGH, WHY ISN'T THAT STICKIED?

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST.

Figures it would take a savvy user to figure that shit out.

Thanks Poe.

It already did!

As a side note. It's kind of insane that that tiny issue can grind this game to a halt and not effect anything else. They need to get on that.

And having now played the first few tutorial matches, I am really liking it. I totally agree with this Magic: The Gathering guy's assessment.

Hey Hasbro, LEARN FROM THIS FUCKING GAME YOU CHEAP BASTARDS!

Last edited:
It already did!

As a side note. It's kind of insane that that tiny issue can grind this game to a halt and not effect anything else. They need to get on that.

And having now played the first few tutorial matches, I am really liking it. I totally agree with this Magic: The Gathering guy's assessment.

Hey Hasbro, LEARN FROM THIS FUCKING GAME YOU CHEAP BASTARDS!
For the record, Wild Growth is amazing on a control druid that wants to control the board until he can play some huge fucking minions.

Well, I meant more in his talking about the UI and accessibility. Have you seen Magic Online? It looks like Windows 95 Solitaire.

Well, I meant more in his talking about the UI and accessibility. Have you seen Magic Online? It looks like Windows 95 Solitaire.
I've actually never played Magic.

Hearthstone is shiny and knows exactly how to hit your pavlovian response buttons to make you want to play. If you play ranked, you can see your rank going up with little stars, and even though those stars fundamentally don't mean a whole lot, I NEED those goddamn stars.

Well, MTGO looks like this:

And has the gall to charge the EXACT same amount for the digital cards as they do for the physical ones. It's insane.

And this the "new and improved" UI they recently just released.

For the record, Wild Growth is amazing on a control druid that wants to control the board until he can play some huge fucking minions.
Wild Growth is freakin' awesome, assuming you can draw it early on. Having a one mana crystal advantage can be game winning.

Yay I got two Legendarys in one pack!
Hearthstone_Screenshot_12.27.2013.11.22.30.png

Only bad part? I already had a King Krush and Onyxia is a garbage Legendary.

I've also packed
Hearthstone_Screenshot_1.12.2014.01.14.05.png

Prophet Velen (mostly garbage but Priest is my favorite Class)

Hearthstone_Screenshot_1.12.2014.04.21.18.png

Al'Akir the Windlord also a garbage Legendary.

I'm dying for some real legendaries but packing anything like that is nice at least.

How do shitty legendaries do for dust?
They're not remotely worth it. You get 400dust to destroy them but crafting a Legendary costs 1600 dust. You'd have to dust 4 just to get one you actually want.
Basically a shitty Legendary dusted can craft you an Epic. Very much not worth it. I'd rather just keep the garbage Legendaries.

Al'Akir the Windlord isn't that bad. Windfury -and- Charge is a powerful combination, especially if you can buff him in the same play (flametongue, rockbiter). When I've played him, I've basically had him hit the opponent's face twice (unless I can can clear his board with him) and then you're left with a divine shield taunt that has to be dealt with.

figmentPez

Staff member
I recently got into the beta and I'm just getting started. I've unlocked all the classes, but I've yet to really start building my own decks yet.

I recently got into the beta and I'm just getting started. I've unlocked all the classes, but I've yet to really start building my own decks yet.
Yup. I've gotten my mage to 10 unlocking all the classes, and still working on getting everyone else to 10.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
Yup. I've gotten my mage to 10 unlocking all the classes, and still working on getting everyone else to 10.
I think my highest level is 6 (Warrior), and most of my characters are closer to 2. With the default decks I can handily stomp the basic level CPU opponents pretty easily, but I have a feeling I'll need to start customizing decks if I want to go any further.

At least I have some idea of what not to do, having watched some truly terrible Heartstone players in my Youtube subscriptions.

The AI is pretty dumb, so once you get the hang of the game, you can easily burn through leveling your hero decks to ten.

Yay, I got my first win in arena! Only took my 4 losses to get it. (Apparently I suck at deck building.)
I suggest watching some of trumps arena runs on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/trumpsc

The thing with arena is that you want to build based on your current mana curve, and the individual value of the cards you have available, because cards that combo well together may never come up. So something like a Chillwind Yeti is almost always going to be worth a pick, simply because it's a very strong card for its cost on its own.

figmentPez

Staff member
I suggest watching some of trumps arena runs on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/trumpsc
I'll keep that in mind for when I have time. The only Heartstone I've watched has been from players who mostly inform by making very bad decisions. Davidr64yt (aka X) is pretty good at choosing what cards to play when in a match, but he has no clue how to build an arena deck, and even I can see the mistakes he's made. Then there's Tirinei, who is just all around awful at playing Hearthstone, but she's entertaining to watch playing Borderlands 2 with Dodger, so I subscribe to her channel.

Last edited:
I'll keep that in mind for when I have time. The only Heartstone I've watched has been from players who mostly inform by making very bad decisions. Davidr64yt (aka X) is pretty good at choosing what cards to play when in a match, but he has no clue how to build an arena deck, and even I can see the mistakes he's made. Then there's Tininei, who is just all around awful at playing Hearthstone, but she's entertaining to watch playing Borderlands 2 with Dodger, so I subscribe to her channel.
The Arena -gods- are Kripparian, Hafu and Trump. If you can't learn how to play Arena watching them, you can't play Arena period. They're really good about constant commentary on their drafts and every play.

figmentPez

Staff member
I just started my third arena run, and I'm feeling pretty confident about this deck. It's a Paladin, and I think I made some solid choices. My first match went very well, and I pretty much stomped my opponent. Didn't even get up to 9 mana so I could summon my legendary card, Ysera. There is a part of me that worries I just got lucky on card draw, but I'll see.

Still haven't even earned all my standard cards yet, not goin' into the Arena until I do.
Game might be in release by then, though.

--Patrick

Still haven't even earned all my standard cards yet, not goin' into the Arena until I do.
Game might be in release by then, though.

--Patrick
You're kind of doing it backwards. The arena doesn't require you to own any of the cards, and instead rewards you with cards.

All the time? Or only if I win?
I mean, right now I have Mage:10, Priest:8, everyone else:1.

--Patrick
The card drafts for Arena are completely random, and don't depend on what cards you own.

However, to get money to participate in the arena, you have to earn gold which you can only do by finishing the quests. You can only finish the quests through online play with your standard and custom decks, so yes, it is a good idea to unlock all the cards for your class first.

Yeah and it's good to get some practice and learn most of the cards before going into arena. If you go in right away you are likely to lose and not even make up that 50 extra gold in rewards. Though it can be pretty fun being able to play with all the cards you don't and may never have so that may make it worth it even if you don't do well. I know today I got to play with hogger and laugh as he kept spawning more and more little hoggers.