[PC Game] Hearthstone (Practically Beta)

Keep in mind that Trump is talking competitive, Legend-rank / tournament, play. He might be right, that a 5 mana Leeroy may not be competitive enough against other decks at the pinnacle of Hearthstone.
I know what he's talking about. And Trump is a very skilled player, but he isn't always right. His predictions have turned false before, because the meta shifts in ways that no one really expects. I just don't see malygos becoming a big part of competitive outside of a few niche decks.

So my friends and I played an arena run together. We agreed on the class (mage) but then we covered up the deck list and mama curve graph and each took turns picking cards. After that we each took a turn playing one turn at a time. It was so much fun. We actually got 5 wins out of it. I wish we'd gotten a final screen shot.

We're thinking of doing it more and maybe streaming it. We're of pretty different skill levels and everything so I think that adds to the fun. Eamonn is good enough to go legendary if he had the time but then again there is Sean who picked shieldbearer over, and I hope he's misremembering, bloodfen raptor.

Mulligans were hard because without knowing what else we had I was always conflicted on keeping good cards that are high mana over trying for more critical early game. By coincidence I ended up doing the mulligan like 3 or 4 times and I swear I'm starting to think we had like 4 boulderfist ogers because I got that bastard so often.

figmentPez

Staff member
I have a friend in England who started playing Hearthstone, so I started playing in that region to build up my collection there. Just to complete quests, I was using the default decks and playing my second ranked game there. Rank 25 and I faced off against a guy with Lord Jaraxxus, Twisting Nether, Void Callers, etc. What the hell is a deck like that doing at rank 25 in constructed?

I have a friend in England who started playing Hearthstone, so I started playing in that region to build up my collection there. Just to complete quests, I was using the default decks and playing my second ranked game there. Rank 25 and I faced off against a guy with Lord Jaraxxus, Twisting Nether, Void Callers, etc. What the hell is a deck like that doing at rank 25 in constructed?
I only really play heavily before the season ends so I can get the card backs, and I throw out Valen, Malygos, and Maexxna on my priest deck.

The seasons reset the rankings, so if someone didn't play that much this season, they could have been ranked really high in a previous season.

figmentPez

Staff member
I only really play heavily before the season ends so I can get the card backs, and I throw out Valen, Malygos, and Maexxna on my priest deck.
But you can't lose ranks below 20, and you get bonus stars based on your rank the previous season. Anyone who even got to rank 22 last season would still be above 25 this season. Either this was a complete newbie who just plunked down cash to buy packs, or someone who'd been away from the game and completely missed at least one season of play. It's just absurdly unlikely to meet such a deck at the lowest possible rank, especially since the person has also played enough to unlock a fair bit of Naxxramas.[DOUBLEPOST=1412119818,1412119694][/DOUBLEPOST]
The seasons reset the rankings, so if someone didn't play that much this season, they could have been ranked really high in a previous season.
No they couldn't. You get bonus stars. To be rank 25 this season means that they couldn't have been more than rank 23 last season (although, they could have been 19 two seasons ago, and not played at all last season).

But you can't lose ranks below 20, and you get bonus stars based on your rank the previous season. Anyone who even got to rank 22 last season would still be above 25 this season. Either this was a complete newbie who just plunked down cash to buy packs, or someone who'd been away from the game and completely missed at least one season of play. It's just absurdly unlikely to meet such a deck at the lowest possible rank, especially since the person has also played enough to unlock a fair bit of Naxxramas.[DOUBLEPOST=1412119818,1412119694][/DOUBLEPOST]

No they couldn't. You get bonus stars. To be rank 25 this season means that they couldn't have been more than rank 23 last season (although, they could have been 19 two seasons ago, and not played at all last season).
I haven't played at all this Season. If i really wanted to, I'd have to start playing at rank 25 in order to get to 20, and yes I'd have all those same cards, especially in my Handlock deck. Perhaps they play Arena more or are like me and took a long break.

They could very well be primarily an arena player, and only start playing constructed at the very end of the season to get the card back.

Edit: Or they could just be a newbie that got lucky and opened Jaraxxus. Voidcallers you get through Naxx, which most people will have been able to complete by now. I got a friend of mine into hearthstone right at the naxx launch, and he unlocked the final wing and beat Kel'thuzad just this week, having spent nothing but gold.

25-20[DOUBLEPOST=1412123690,1412123632][/DOUBLEPOST]I really only play ladder for the card backs, other than that, I usually play casual for quests or arena runs for gold and cards.

figmentPez

Staff member
25-20[DOUBLEPOST=1412123690,1412123632][/DOUBLEPOST]I really only play ladder for the card backs, other than that, I usually play casual for quests or arena runs for gold and cards.
How are people playing for the card backs falling to rank 25? If you play enough each season to get the card back, you'll never fall below rank 23.

figmentPez

Staff member
Not really falling, just perhaps not playing Ladder. They could play just open play or Arena.
Perhaps you're not understanding. To get a card back for a season, you have to reach rank 20. From that rank, you will start the next season at rank 23. Anyone who plays enough ranked each season to earn the card back will never be at rank 25. The only people who are at rank 25 are people who have never played rank, or who have not played enough to earn a card back in at least two seasons.

I know that there are people out there who fall into the category of people who own enough legendary and epic cards to make the deck I saw, but who still are at that low of a rank, but I find it very hard to believe that it's common, especially this late in the season.

No, I just can't figure out why you're trying to convince me that this isn't an unusual occurrence.
Because maybe I'm too close to it and am doing the same thing? Just have put the game to the side for a while even though I have a ton of cards. I'm by no means a "top player", mind you, but you don't have to be to have Jarraxus.

I guess I don't understand why you think it's so rare, especially after a season of new cards which might have convinced people to come back to the game after quitting for a while.

figmentPez

Staff member
I guess I don't understand why you think it's so rare, especially after a season of new cards which might have convinced people to come back to the game after quitting for a while.
Because a small sub-set of players who have the cards to make such a deck, combined with the small sub-set of players who are only rank 25, combined with the fact that the intersection of the two is going to be even smaller since most players who have a lot of cards are the ones who play the most, means it's going to be rare, period.

Because a small sub-set of players who have the cards to make such a deck, combined with the small sub-set of players who are only rank 25, combined with the fact that the intersection of the two is going to be even smaller since most players who have a lot of cards are the ones who play the most, means it's going to be rare, period.
Considering neither of us have anything to back up our opinions on this, seems easiest for me just to say "Sure, you're right, have fun." and just walk away.

I believe it wasn't that many posts ago that I pointed out what a douchebag he was :p
He certainly seems to have a "I play amazingly and everyone else is just lucky" kind of attitude. Noxious is kind of the same way but I enjoy their highlights videos. I also take back what I said before about Trump seeming really sarcastic. I didn't realize he says everything in the same matter-of-factly kind of way.

I need to watch more of Day[9]'s videos. He's always just a delight.

He certainly seems to have a "I play amazingly and everyone else is just lucky" kind of attitude. Noxious is kind of the same way but I enjoy their highlights videos. I also take back what I said before about Trump seeming really sarcastic. I didn't realize he says everything in the same matter-of-factly kind of way.

I need to watch more of Day[9]'s videos. He's always just a delight.
Day9 is just an entertaining personality, no matter what he's playing.

Noxious is a little cocky (maybe it's the foreignness) but at least he's not just downright mean. That's what Krip is.

And yeah, Trump isn't really sarcastic, he's just very matter of fact. He's overall a very nice person.

Playing when the ladder resets is sometimes confusing. I'm hovering around rank 8 or so doing quests for the night, having very calculated battles against control warriors and handlocks, when all of a sudden I'm surrounded by zoo.

Huh? What? Wait, how'd I become rank 18? Oh... that's tonight.

Wow it seems like the ragers have really come out lately these past few days. Until this week I've only had one person add me just to yell at me. Most that add me say gg and talk about something in the game. But I've had a handful add me recently and yell at me for beating them with non net decks. They all followed the same formula too. Yell profanity, something bad happening to me or family, something about my rank, garbage deck, more profanities, unfriend before I can even respond.

I don't know it still baffles me that people do that stuff over a pretty casual card game. Some of the matches were in casual too.