Halloween '09

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's August, but already is the Christmas spirit trying to rear it's beautiful head within me. I can suppress this by focusing on Halloween. I love holidays!!!

So, sit down. Why don't you take a seat right over there. What are you going to be? What is the coolest thing you have dressed up as? What are your plans to either celebrate or ignore the holiday? Favorite candy? Favorite Halloween trashcan punch recipe? Memory?

Not sure what I am going to be (time to retire the penguin costume, though), but I can't wait to get my hands on some gorilla nipples (AKA mellocreme pumpkins!).

You?

I don't know what I'm going as yet, if anything, but Blue and I already know what we're dressing the baby as. Or, rather, WHOM.

After a random thrist store find of a infant sized, green military style coat we are going to dress the kiddo as Bill from Left 4 Dead. Plans for a tiny beret and beard are in work. Based on this I think Blue may wither be going as Francais or a Smoker and his best friend may be going as a Hunter....not Louis because it seems wrong to dress him up in black face.

You may be asking yourselves "But Sin! W

Shannow

Staff member
i was getting ready to start buying and pieceing together steel plate mail armor for a full dr doom costume this year, but funds have come up short, so I am saving it as a year project for next halloween/nyc comic con.

Huh. Everytime I try to edit my message it won't save the changes. I'm probably doing something wrong.

Anyways, I won't be going as Zoey. Too fat.

I have been working on a Steampunk outfit. It is really for Comic Cons and the like. But my goal is to get 90% of the costume ready by Halloween to give it a test run and do little nit noid details afterwords.

fade

Staff member
I absolutely love the holidays, too. So "In before someone who works in retail comes in and tries to ruin it by posting about how horrible it is to be in retail during the holidays."

As for the question, I've got some posterboard, some dryer hoses, some ping-pong balls, and some silver spray paint. I'm going as Bender, baby!

I absolutely love the holidays, too. So "In before someone who works in retail comes in and tries to ruin it by posting about how horrible it is to be in retail during the holidays."

As for the question, I've got some posterboard, some dryer hoses, some ping-pong balls, and some silver spray paint. I'm going as Bender, baby!

Cajungal

Staff member
My 2 favorite costumes?

1. Groucho Marx (in middle school AND high school)

2. Statue of Liberty (kindergarten)

I haven't dressed up for Halloween since I was 13 or so, but I have been requested by some of my friends to prepare a Samhain feast. So, I will be cooking a feast to honor the harvest. Not sure what the full menu will be this year, but ideas are already percolating around my head.

L

Lally

[gasp!] JEALOUS!

Unless someone throws a party, nothing for me this year. And even if someone does, probably nothing interesting, since I am uber cash-strapped.

T

ThatNickGuy

I haven't honestly done anything for it in ages. I loved it as a kid, because it meant watching horror movies and pigging out on candy.

Now that I'm older, it's usually about big parties, which isn't my thing because I'm terrified of huge parties.

fade

Staff member
I'm also thinking of making a haunted house in my backyard. I have gates on both sides of my house, so I could route people around through some kind of tunnel.

Last year we did a pumpkin carving party for my daughter. Cool idea, but I ended up carving most of the pumpkins, meaning I had to wait until the next day to do my Dr. Horrible pumpkin. Still, it was a cool party and all the girls took a carved pumpkin home, so I may well do it again.

Cool! New Orleans has a couple of really good shock houses, I've heard, but that's all I know because I am really really for really reals super chicken.

A decade ago Myself and Brother went to a party as Nuns on the Run. Just cheap nun outfits, black shoes, and cigars. We stood around telling the awfullest, dirty Catholic Jokes one can imagine(30 years of Catholicism leads to many jokes.)

A few years later I did Jesse Ventura when he made it as Gov of Minnesota. Bald cap, goatee, nice suit, and home made campaign material. I ended up borrowing a feather boa at the party to make it complete.

North_Ranger

Staff member
LittleSin, may I suggest you dress the baby as Cthulhu? :p

Halloween is only now becoming a thing here in Finland among the younger people. Traditionally, All Hallows Eve was "celebrated" by remembering dead relatives and visiting their graves. Because of this, I've only been to one Halloween party per se - I went as a Catholic missionary (before the whole choir boy-fiddlin' thing).

I could go as a fat Seth Rogen this year :D

It dawned on me last year that all that I'm missing from a Skipper outfit is the hat. I have some tan slacks and a blue shirt. They have some at the big party city in Austin I went to once, while looking for a fog machine.

W

Wasabi Poptart

My son wants to be Spider-Man this year. I've got a black cat costume for my daughter (which I thought was cute considering my son's choice this year). My husband and I are talking about dressing up as zombies, but I may just be a witch again.

Favorite Halloween memory? Going out trick-or-treating when I was 14 with my then bff. I was dressed as a hooker using parts of my old dance costumes and a t-shirt of my mom's that I completely tore to shreds.

This year I think I've decided on dressing up as Wikus Van De Mewre from District 9, hopefully with alien arm morphing action. I'll get a bag of suckers and a couple cans of cat food as well and probably print out a few of the same labels they used in the movie for theirs.

My favourite costume I did was a Ghostbuster. It was really last minute when I started it but I liked how it turned out. Even threw together a quick Proton pack that played the theme song through computer speakers I had put into it.

I have no idea. If I have expendable income and there is a party, maybe Doc Brown. I've got the hair for it, just have to temp-dye it white.

The baby will be a clownfish, the little girl Sleeping Beauty and I am going out as The Human Ton and Handy.

For one, I really wish we'd properly celebrate that over here.
Though it is getting slightly more popular, it mainly just consists of a dance hall with pumpkin themes for the kids and nothing more. I really wish we could go out and trick or treat in crazy ass costumes.

For two, it sucks it's only one day a year. Some people spend so much time preparing, and it's only really useful for those few measly hours at night. Blah

I vote every day is Halloween!
Ugh, no. Plenty of american holidays already pushing out our local holidays. There's Carnaval for dressing up, there's Three King's day (brain malfunctioning, can't remember the correct English name. You know what I mean) for trick or treating. There's Saint-Martin's for doing both at once, depending on <here in Belgium or the Netherlands you live. And there's New Year Carolling for, once more, going door to door for candy. Why do we need one more like them?

Allerzielen = celebrating the dead; Allerheiligen = remembering the Saints, if you happen to be Catholic. Walpurgis = all kinds of other fun stuff. No need to add another holiday to those three already one after the other.

I LOVE Halloween. Its way better than Christmas, even if I am too old to trick or treat, I love making and wearing good costumes.
I have my costume 100% completed already. Took an ASSLOAD of work, too. But I can't tell you what it is yet, its supposed to be a secret
(admittedly, we've done a piss poor job of keeping it quiet so far, but still...) and I think some friends of mine may occasionally lurk here.

AmE: yes. It sort of depends in what part of Belgium (and the Netherlands. I know dutchies do it too!). In sommige regio's is't Driekoningen ( januari), andere is't nieuwjaar, soms Sint-Maarten. Hier in Brussel is't vooral Driekoningen en Nieuwjaar; Sint-Maarten is indd aan't uitsterven; 't feest was buiten 't rondgaan uiteindelijk identiek aan Sinterklaas en die heeft hem zo'n beetje verdrongen.
Maar "da's enkel voor kinderen" is geen beletsel he. Halloween ook, in feite. Geef zelf een volwassen Sint-Maarten feestje he :-P

Ah, well, I tended to shorten it was AmE because, you know, two words :-P I won't, sorry!
And they're from Groningen, so....Not reaally very far south, is it? :-P Admittedly, they just celebrate the new years thingie.

Also, further proof that Flanders rules over the Netherlands: we have cool folkloristic holidays :tongue:

Guess it's not very well-known or widespread over there, which is a shame.

Of course, especially at my parents' place, getting oken up at 7 am on january first for kids singing silly songs, and hearing the same 2 or 3 songs (mostly, unfortunately; there was much more variation in my youth!) all day long is somewhat annoying :-P

Status
Not open for further replies.