Halforums Academy 2 Story Commentary Thread

figmentPez

Staff member
aniKags at an orgy:
- Here's a water bottle, you're looking dehydrated.
- Lift up a bit! *shoves pillow under them* There isn't that comfy?
- Let me find you a cuddle buddy; don't want anyone to catch a chill!
- Oh my, take off those wet panties. Got to get those clean right away, wouldn't want to leave a stain on such cute lingerie.

aniKags at an orgy:
- Oh my, take off those wet panties. Got to get those clean right away, wouldn't want to leave a stain on such cute lingerie.
BAHAHA, omg. :D

That's hilarious.

And not far off. :ninja:

GasBandit

Staff member
There's a lot of frustration involved sometimes in making these videos, specifically when it comes to recording the narration. I have a great computer where I don't have a great audio setup, and I have a great audio setup where I don't have a great computer (at work). Working with enterprise-level sound production facilities for the last 11 years has spoiled me as to what my voice is supposed to sound like when recorded... and doing it at home often makes me irritated because it doesn't sound as good.

And not just the timbre of my own voice! The acoustics of the room where my computer is are atrocious. If I just sit at the computer and talk into the mic, the reverb from the wall in front of me causes a noticeable audio hum, almost like a resonance. I'd like to think I've done a passable job eliminating it from most of the videos, through a combination of post-processing filters and actual physical contortion - I have to physically turn my body about 100 degrees to the left, away from the computer and wall, to face the center of the room, then recline back, so I'm projecting toward the ceiling (so the audio rebound hits 2-3 wall surfaces, then the carpeted floor, before coming back to the mic), and recite my line while dangling the mic in front of myself by the cord... but not RIGHT in front of my face because I don't have a puffguard.. but not TOO far off to the side or I get muffled.

Sometimes it takes me a half dozen attempts to get a 5 second narration clip to sound right.
AGH.

- I have to physically turn my body about 100 degrees to the left, away from the computer and wall, to face the center of the room, then recline back, so I'm projecting toward the ceiling (so the audio rebound hits 2-3 wall surfaces, then the carpeted floor, before coming back to the mic), and recite my line while dangling the mic in front of myself by the cord... but not RIGHT in front of my face because I don't have a puffguard.. but not TOO far off to the side or I get muffled.

Sometimes it takes me a half dozen attempts to get a 5 second narration clip to sound right.
AGH.
Can....can we get a picture of this?

Time to line a GM screen with acoustic/packing foam and put it behind your mic as a gobo.
And cover your mic with (clean!) hunting socks and hang it from hair bands and zip ties off a light stand, and lean in to reinforce that bass.
[DOUBLEPOST=1417812779,1417812726][/DOUBLEPOST]
Would hanging blankets or clothess over the exposed surfaces to dampen the sound work?
Usually does. I've told people with little to no equipment to record under a blanket to block ceiling reverb.
Maybe all @GasBandit needs to do is to repurpose his Netflix rig for recording.

--Patrick

*checks humidity in Texas"

Man, GB, you must be having one hell of a rainy week chance of 20% rainy week over there.

Stupid weather icons.

GasBandit

Staff member
I just built some 2x4 frames, popped some rock wool insulation (safe 'n sound) into the frame, and stapled fabric around it. After hanging about 60 sq ft of this on my computer room walls things are much more dead in there. Cost about $100 in wood, insulation, and cloth. Cloth was on Black Friday sale though, so that saved a bundle.

Large pillows stapled to the wall would have a similar effect without all the work. Put those behind the microphone and it should immediately change the quality of the voice recording. Stuff some pillows in the corners as bass traps.
Hah, my computer room is going to look even more horrible than it already does now.

GasBandit

Staff member
An acceptable compromise seems to be to merely put a pillow between me and the wall, with the mic on the close side of the pillow. So that makes that process slightly less inconvenient.

aniKags at an orgy:
Sweet Jesus, she's like a tiny Kasumi.

Which I'm strangely ok with!

Gas, I said it before but the amount of effort that you're putting into these is staggering, and definitely appreciated! You're a mensch of the highest order. Or lowest, as you prefer.

As far as tips and comments, I think that the little highlighting of the messages in the corner is effective, I'm enjoying the popups and notes on-screen. The asides to stuff in the background is good, as well, even if it doesn't make it into the narrative. Or even because it doesn't all make it into the narrative... it's like the little extra bits in the background of a Shirow manga - worth looking at for flavor, even if they don't contribute directly to the main story.

An acceptable compromise seems to be to merely put a pillow between me and the wall, with the mic on the close side of the pillow. So that makes that process slightly less inconvenient.
Plus when you start to nod off, your pillow is right there!
...next to your blanket!
...you know what? Just record the whole thing while you're in bed. That oughtta work.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha HAAAAAa....

I just found out Premiere natively supports embedded gifs... let's see, who do I know that's been saving up a vast collection of humorous animated gifs for years that would really spice up a video like this?

OH THAT'S RIGHT

ME!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha HAAAAAa....

I just found out Premiere natively supports embedded gifs... let's see, who do I know that's been saving up a vast collection of humorous animated gifs for years that would really spice up a video like this?

OH THAT'S RIGHT

ME!
shih-na-evil-laugh-o.gif

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
3rd period done. Just one daypart left to go. Dunno if I'll be able to finish tomorrow, but tuesday night at the latest. Stands at 13 minutes so far. Which would put it at 18 or so if the pattern holds.