Export thread

Gusto's Drawings and Paintings

Gusto

Gusto

So hey.

I just realized that I've never actually posted my completed stuff here. Here's some stuff I'm particularly proud of. All of these and more are available at my deviantArt site.

DRAWINGS (WITH DIGITAL COLOUR)

COLOURS (OTHER PEOPLE'S LINES)

PAINTINGS

OODLES OF DOODLES

Cajungal

Cajungal

I REALLY like the one of the woman looking off into the distance--and the swirly one with the blues and greens.

Nice stuff. :)

Gusto

Gusto

Cajungal said:
I REALLY like the one of the woman looking off into the distance--and the swirly one with the blues and greens.

Nice stuff. :)
Thanks. :)

Far

Far

Very nice. I've always wanted to learn to paint but everytime I try I tend to use the brushs and paints like markers and never get the effect I'm looking for. Your ability to draw women far surpasses my own and I hate you for it.not really

Gusto

Gusto

Far said:
Very nice. I've always wanted to learn to paint but everytime I try I tend to use the brushs and paints like markers and never get the effect I'm looking for. Your ability to draw women far surpasses my own and I hate you for it.not really
Really?! I don't think I'm that great at it.

Maybe it's one of those those things where you're just looking at the result, whereas I'm looking at the result, PLUS like 30 discarded sheets of doodled paper.

Far

Far

Noticed something else, you stuff is much more fluid than mine. I especially love the hair. I wish I could draw hair like that.

Gusto

Gusto

Far said:
Noticed something else, you stuff is much more fluid than mine. I especially love the hair. I wish I could draw hair like that.

Hehe, thanks. I'm pretty proud of the way I do hair. :)

Gusto

Gusto

*returns after 2-3 month hiatus*

Hey guys. After messing around with completely unusable doodles and shit for a couple month I decided to get back into the oil painting game. Since people seemed to enjoy it last time, I'm gonna post my step by step progress on my painting again. This is what it looks like after one session:

Cajungal

Cajungal

Gusto's Drawings and Paintings (UPDATED May 25)

Pretty... the lighter green part reminds me of fire.

Ross

Ross

Ahh... beauty in simplicity.

The way you balance your oil paintings spatially and chromatically is excellent. So far, the red one is my favorite, as it has the bold, clean lines, and the image just pops.

Gusto

Gusto

Thanks, guys!

Raspy, you flatter me. Thanks a bunch.

Wow, Gusto! I hadn't been in this thread before. That's my loss! You are very good!

How do you get your paintings here? They don't look like photographs.

Gusto

Gusto

Edrondol said:
Wow, Gusto! I hadn't been in this thread before. That's my loss! You are very good!

How do you get your paintings here? They don't look like photographs.
Thanks dogg.

They ARE photographs. I just take them very straight on, in good light, and at a very high resolution.

Holy crap! Yeah, them's some great photographs! You should think about doing that, too!

Gusto

Gusto

Edrondol said:
Holy crap! Yeah, them's some great photographs! You should think about doing that, too!
:Leyla:

Haha, maybe.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Have any plans for your wispy green?

Gusto

Gusto

Allen said:
Have any plans for your wispy green?
Yes!

Unfortunately I don't have any more time to work on it until at LEAST tomorrow afternoon. Gives it a little more time to make sure the backdrop is good and dry, and to hammer out the placement/sizing of the foreground.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Will your plans involve a penis-breathing Godzilla?

Gusto

Gusto

Allen said:
None of my plans will EVER include that.

Stop trying to corrupt my artistic vision.

:Leyla:

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

You would know if I were actually trying

Kitty Sinatra

Gusto said:
Allen said:
You're making a mistake, dude. Penis-breathing Godzillas would make you. You'd be bigger than Manet, Monet and Munet combined.

Gusto

Gusto

Gruebeard said:
Gusto said:
Allen said:
You're making a mistake, dude. Penis-breathing Godzillas would make you. You'd be bigger than Manet, Monet and Munet combined.
I ain't need to sell out like that. It's almost TOO EASY.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Then the challenge comes from maintaining. You just can't publish penis-breathing Godzillas all the time or else you're just a one-trick pony. You need to ask yourself "What else can Godzillas breathe?" Your entire artistic future hangs precariously on your answer to that question.

Gusto

Gusto

Allen said:
Then the challenge comes from maintaining. You just can't publish penis-breathing Godzillas all the time or else you're just a one-trick pony. You need to ask yourself "What else can Godzillas breathe?" Your entire artistic future hangs precariously on your answer to that question.
Wow.

See, I immediately went to "What else can breathe penises?"

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

You have exposed the beauty of the whole career maintenance problem. What if you end up asking the wrong question?

Already this artistic endeavor has turned into a mental exercise of penis-like proportions!

Gusto

Gusto

Allen said:
You have exposed the beauty of the whole career maintenance problem. What if you end up asking the wrong question?

Already this artistic endeavor has turned into a mental exercise of penis-like proportions!
The headache this is gonna cause me is even bigger than my penis.

Allen, if I paint a Godzilla breathing penises, you'd better fucking buy it.

S'all I'm sayin'.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

As with all art, that will depend on if it matches my furniture. :heythere:

But seriously, paint whatever.

Philosopher B.

Gusto said:
That is bay-oo-tiful. I like the circular, wispy motion it's got goin' on. Plus green is my favorite color (can't wait 'till the other green painting is done :D ). I think I'll set this one as my desktop background.

Gusto

Gusto

Philosopher B. said:
I think I'll set this one as my desktop background.
WHAT

That's a first for me. I'm going to cry.

Philosopher B.

I did it. Now my desktop looks all sparkly. :zoid:

Gusto

Gusto

Philosopher B. said:
I did it. Now my desktop looks all sparkly. :zoid:
Haha, there's actually a story there. I did that painting for a friend and she was SO EXCITED to get it that I took a picture and gave it to her while parts of it were still kinda wet.

Gusto

Gusto

Gusto's Drawings and Paintings (UPDATED Feb 19)

Updated with 1/8th of my Halforums history artjam submission, 8 Days of Halforums.

This is Juski.

Gusto

Gusto

Gusto's Drawings and Paintings (UPDATED Feb 19)

Oh uh hey I suppose I could update this with all the little DnD related sketches I've made over the past couple months! Right!?

And also this drawing of Espy that Amy did and I put a little colour on:

Hylian

Hylian

Very nice :thumbsup:

I wish I had even a fraction of your artistic ability maybe than I could draw something better than a deformed stickman :)

Krisken

Krisken

Looking good Gusto, keep it up!

Morphine

Morphine

I can't believe I hadn't seen this thread.

I love eet!!

Gusto

Gusto

Thanks for the kind words fellas. :)

Cajungal

Cajungal

:thumbsup: Like em! :) That elf-looking person with the dark eyes is really neat.

Gusto

Gusto

That is Serin! She is a Changeling and in her natural form has gray skin, white hair, and blank eyes with dark circles.

She is Doom's character in our DnD game. :)

Cajungal

Cajungal

I remember her!!! Man I should listen in on another game soon. I miss my character--the mute halfling who stands there and doesn't do anything.

Gusto

Gusto

At least you're not dead. ;)

Actually the girl in the other two drawings is my character for Julie's games.

It just got to the point where I had done enough little sketches of DnD characters that I was like "Hey I bet I have a locked art thread somewhere I could update."

Element 117

Null

Null

Yeah, I've got Gusto on my deviantWatch list (which is a positive, unlike how it sounds).

Gusto

Gusto

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Noted![/QUOTE]

But not heeded, apparently :p.

Gusto

Gusto

Because Amy demanded it, here are some of my shitty sketches.

This is me trying to get used to using a tablet, in Paint Shop Pro 8. I think I need to legally obtain a copy of Photoshop again...

Anyway, starting with a reference image to trace, Kurtz-style!

Trying to get it down to a basic form:

And applying my character's details:

Cajungal

Cajungal

lookin good so far

Jay

Jay

Kara gots some junk in the trunk! :sneaky:

Gusto

Gusto

dat asssss

Gusto

Gusto

So tonight I finished a painting!

The interesting thing about this one is that I kept switching between focusing on the top and bottom, and even sometimes the side edges, and as such, I kept rotating the canvas on the easel. As a result, I can't tell whether it looks better in portrait or landscape, or which side should be on top, or anything!

So here's the picture I took. One of them has the flash on to get a better idea of the colours, but it's clearly still wet and reflective. The other doesn't have the flash so the colours look a little more washed out, but it gives a better idea of the actual brushstrokes. I'll take a better OFFICIAL picture when it's dry.

Gusto

Gusto

.... :(

So after not getting much or any feedback on this painting on the forum, and getting disappointing reactions IRL, I've decided it's probably not "done"... I feel like a failure.

We'll see...

tegid

tegid

Looks good to me, but I like it much better landscape!

Hylian

Hylian

the top one that has the flash looks better in portrait. But I think the bottom one looks better for landscape. So I think it would depend on the amount of light that would be on the picture.

Gusto

Gusto

Thanks for the input, fellas, but I think it's gonna end up with the alignment I've posted above, plus a foreground that I'm developing/drawing now.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I like it. It's hard to make out in some areas because of the flash, I guess, but I like the colors and the flame-looking shapes.

Gusto

Gusto

Alright so I drew a foreground, scanned it, gave it a quick Paintshop colour, and overlaid it to see what the finished product MIGHT look like.

Thoughts?

Cajungal

Cajungal

I think that's pretty sweet. One thing I didn't mention is that I prefer the orientation you have it in now, not landscape. The top is this calm, peaceful bluish/white, and the bottom is hotter colors. I think that's interesting, especially considering the direction she seems to be moving in.

:thumbsup: I think it's shaping up to be a very beautiful and interesting piece.

Gusto

Gusto

Thanks!

Now I just need the paint to dry, and then REPLICATE THAT DRAWING IN GLAZES. :Leyla:

Cajungal

Cajungal

Sweet. It looks like she's moving from a peaceful period in her life to a rebellious period that's full of conflict and passion. But you could have been going for something totally different. I bullshit a lot. :p

Gusto

Gusto

Sweet. It looks like she's moving from a peaceful period in her life to a rebellious period that's full of conflict and passion. But you could have been going for something totally different. I bullshit a lot. :p
I like it! And this is the alchemy between creator and audience that I want to encourage. :D

drifter

drifter

The one thing I would suggest is I think the piece would benefit from some darker hues, and maybe the judicious application of some complementary colors (local to the top and bottom half). I think that would give it a lot of depth and a subtle oomph, whereas right now the painting seems a little flat (although that may just be my monitor). Of course if you do that, it would push the wavy lines to the foreground, which might visually compete with the lady, and I'm not sure if you want to do that? Anyway, that's my two bits.

Cajungal

Cajungal

^_^ Glad to help. Cannot wait to see more. I hope to one day discuss your work in an intimate gallery drinking wine and eating cheese. ;D

Gusto

Gusto

The one thing I would suggest is I think the piece would benefit from some darker hues, and maybe the judicious application of some complementary colors (local to the top and bottom half). I think that would give it a lot of depth and a subtle oomph, whereas right now the painting seems a little flat (although that may just be my monitor). Of course if you do that, it would push the wavy lines to the foreground, which might visually compete with the lady, and I'm not sure if you want to do that? Anyway, that's my two bits.
I had considered the same thing actually!

Most of my swirly abstract paintings have very bold contrasts between two or more colours which produces a very intense piece with no real need for a foreground. Having tried to create a more subdued piece this time around, I decided to forgo lots of contrasting colours, which made the painting look flat. A lot of people I showed it to said that it looked incomplete or less interesting than my other work.

My options now are to

a) put in a lot of bold colours to create a fuller-looking painting; or
b) create a non-abstract foreground, like the young lady in my example.

I'm deciding to go with the lady rather than a lot of other strokes because I DO still want this to be a complete painting but different from ones I've made before.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Actually, now that you say that, a slightly darker background might be good.

Gusto

Gusto

Last night I drew the image on the foreground of my dry canvas, and this morning I went to the local art store to get more mineral spirits, canvases, and a couple tubes of paint. :)

Tuesday or Wednesday will be foreground painting day, and [probably] Friday will be re-inking/detailing day.

Then I can start a NEW one. ;)

Hylian

Hylian

Than what are you doing here posting? Get back to painting ya slacker!

Gusto

Gusto

Than what are you doing here posting? Get back to painting ya slacker!
:slap:

I'm leaving painting the foreground til tomorrow night at least because I work all day today and tomorrow and I'm otherwise busy tonight. Wednesday I'm off so I have the time and space to do it properly, so that's probably when it'll get done.

Hylian

Hylian

Gusto

Gusto

You and Amy are gonna make me cry.

;)

Either pay me to paint something for you or accept that work comes first.

Element 117

;)

What's your talent worth?

Gusto

Gusto

;)

What's your talent worth?[/QUOTE]

I've sold two of the paintings on here and their value has only risen since:

48x24", $250CAD

16x20", $180CAD.

Nowadays, for something 16x20" I'd ballpark something approaching $300CAD, or more depending on the subject matter involved.

Of course, all things are negotiable. ;)

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Damn, that is cool, Gusto.

Element 117

So gusto. How much is your talent worth? Enough to let it wither for a day job and beers with the buds?

Drink alone, and paint more!

Gusto

Gusto

PROGRESS SHOTS:

Nothing really impressive but here are a couple candid shots of the drawing I did on the background after finding a couple of markers tat actually STICK to oil-based paints. I hope to paint it in tonight.

Also keep in mind that I intend to re-ink everything in a slightly thicker line after painting it.

Element 117

I approve.

*whips you*

paint more!

Cajungal

Cajungal

Looks good so far!

Hylian

Hylian

It's looking very nice :thumbsup:

Element 117

Dear Gutso: are you drawing/painting every day? Even if only sketches?

Gusto

Gusto

Dear Gutso: are you drawing/painting every day? Even if only sketches?
Yeah, actually. :)

Element 117

post those as you "finish" them.

Gusto

Gusto

Well most of them are throwaway, really. Just garbage I scribble on temp logs at work when I have a few seconds.

Actually, I was just downstairs doing some of my glazes, came up, answered your question, went back down, and continued.

Results are... mixed. The glazes turned out pretty well but I used too pink a skin tone. Which means I'll need to wait for it to dry and glaze over it with something a bit more white/brown.

Pics to come.

Element 117

Doesnt matter if they are throaw away. Think of it as the little chit from your parole officer proving that you arent letting your muse die a wasted death. :)

Gusto

Gusto

Well in the case of my work example above, I can't really take them home. :p

But thanks for keeping me honest. :)

Element 117

Snap a picture and post it!

Gusto

Gusto

Painting done! Skin looks like the appropriate colour now! Pics when it's less shiny and wet.

All that's left now is to re-outline it so that the lines can be seen further than 2 feet away.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I'd buy, but like I said. Fancy rugs and weddings, dogg. Sexy stuff though!

Gusto

Gusto

Since this work is basically done, I'm trying to decide what to work on next.

If no one's interested in comissioning anything, I might try to remake this image now that I've broken the foreground veil.

I originally intended this to be a painting ANYWAY so maybe I'll come back to it.

Element 117

In contrast with the middle and background, the foreground feels out of place

Gusto

Gusto

Well it's from years ago, I'm not gonna try to defend it. ;)

I mean that I might make a similar piece with similar colours and hopefully.... do better. :p

Element 117

Enh. Whitewash it. Start over. Unless of course, you sell it. Somehow it reminds me of the mood I have when I hear the latter bits of

Gusto

Gusto

Oh excellent I haven't heard that in like forever.

Gusto

Gusto

Put the final coat on the painting today. Allow a few days to dry, ink over with Sharpie, affix price tag. ;)

Starting to think of what to paint next, any suggestions? I've got a handful of smaller 8x10" canvasses that I might wanna start workin' on.

Element 117

Here's an idea. How about readying 15 pieces for a gallery showing? Get into the local scene, and be seen, etc.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I like that idea. :D You have a gift, bud, and you oughta share it!

Gusto

Gusto

I have seen very little proof so far to suggest that my painting is anything beyond a hobby that occasionally nets me a sale. I dunno if a gallery showing is really in my [near] future.

Element 117

I have seen very little proof so far to suggest that my painting is anything beyond a hobby that occasionally nets me a sale. I dunno if a gallery showing is really in my [near] future.
Honestly, you have talent, but if you don't believe in your talent, then you're ripping off the people who buy your work already. Maybe you should just man up and try to get into a gallery by Spring 2011, sans excuses. :p

Cajungal

Cajungal

I figured that showing your work would interest you more since you were so determined to put out more work this summer. Do you not want to show at a gallery because you're not interested in doing that, or because you don't think it will lead to anything?

Gusto

Gusto

It's not that I don't think that my work is good enough to potentially be shown in a gallery, it's that I don't think a gallery that sees dozens of really great pieces every year would be interested in a whole showing from a guy like me.

Element 117

So what exactly is the gallery rejection process in Canada? They shoot the artist in the street? There is no harm in readying work for a show, and hitting the streets, finding galleries, and answering calls for entry. Except effort, maybe. The worst they can do is shoot you in the stre- I mean, say no. Even if you only show at a local java shoppe, at least your artwork is in front of more eyes.

Gusto

Gusto

Truth.

I dunno if I like the idea of putting on a whole exhibit, but maybe getting a couple pieces into one of the local youth shows is a better step to take at my stage. Work my way up.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I think you should definitely keep it in mind. That coffee shop idea was a very good one. Some coffee shops in town show local art. It's one of my favorite things about visiting. It's too bad that CC's Coffee Houses pretty much show the same photography prints at each location... it was more interesting when they showed more local art.

Element 117

Maybe we should all campaign to have one painting of Gusto's shown in a local town gallery. All over the world where ever we are?

Gusto

Gusto

Haha, I like that idea!

Element 117

That would mean hundreds of paintings

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I'm actually pretty down with that idea...

Bearing in mind that Savannah is an Art School town... step your game up, son!

I definitely dig your work, though

Element 117

Bearing in mind that Savannah is an Art School town...
HAHAhaha

Gusto

Gusto

I was gonna start something new tonight but I'm headachey and altogether not feeling that well. Sorry guys.

Element 117

I was gonna start something new tonight but I'm headachey and altogether not feeling that well. Sorry guys.
Boooo! Get drunk and Paint!

Gusto

Gusto

Boooo! Get drunk and Paint![/QUOTE]

That'll be my Thursday night if things don't go to plan. See also: crying and collapsing on the cellar floor in sadness.

Right now, I just think I'm coming down with something...

Gusto

Gusto

Is anyone interested in commissioning an oil painting from me?

I've recently finished a painting and am looking for something new to work on! If you think you'd be interested in commissioning me for a painting, please let me know!

Prices start at ~$60 CAD for an 8"x10" abstract, and all things are negotiable!

Let a brother know!

Gusto

Gusto

Gusto's Drawings and Paintings (NOW LOOKING FOR COMMISSIONS)

Guess not.

I'll be getting to work on 1-3 new paintings sometime this week. And I'm getting really antsy to put the finishing touches on my current painting once it finally fucking dries.

In the meantime, I coloured a sketch of mine:

Cajungal

Cajungal

Like it. :) I like the way you draw hair and eyes.

Gusto

Gusto

Thanks.

This one was weird to colour because it was based on a sloppy-ass sketch.

So I decided to go with some sloppy-ass colouring and I guess it works okay.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Would like to see some more work, I might be interested in some character artwork.

Gusto

Gusto

Would like to see some more work, I might be interested in some character artwork.
Ooooo!

All the examples I have of my work worth showing are on the front page. If it looks like I might be able to provide for you, or if you have any questions about something outside of my displayed "expertise", fire me a PM.

Gusto

Gusto

Alright SO.

Progress pics:

Final painting, Vertigo:

Element 117

It's ok, but you need to paint more. Push yourself farther. This looks... good, but resting on your laurels sense. Try harder!

Wasabi Poptart

I have to agree with Amy. I love the background, but the woman looks like you rushed to get her on there. It's not a bad painting. I think it's kind of like when I start writing stories after a long time of being away from it. I have to do some exercises to really get my creativity flowing again.

Gusto

Gusto

Sigh...

Back to the...

:toocool:

...drawing board.

Element 117

I can't pos rep you anymore. So instead I'll just sit here. Naked. Paint moar!

Gusto

Gusto

Word. New painting begins tomorrow afternoon, after I'm done work.

tegid

tegid

Ahh! I like it more now that I know the semitransparent look was done on purpose. Yes, it's good. I think I'd buy that.

Hylian

Hylian

I like the finished pic :thumbsup:

Gusto

Gusto

Thanks fellas.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Agree about the girl looking a little bit rushed. I think that the heavy lines look a little strange against the sort of soft colors. But I still love the idea of it and the emotions that the picture inspires in me. I'm so happy you've been working on your art this summer!

Gusto

Gusto

Startin' shit:

Cajungal

Cajungal

I am intrigued.

Gusto

Gusto

It ain't much to look at yet but it is proof that I am working on something.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

So Amy won't kill you?

LittleSin

LittleSin

Gusto! I just got given a ton of oil paint!

Any tips on using these?

Gusto

Gusto

Be careful! They stain super easily and are more finicky to use than acrylics. Also you'll need mineral spirits to clean your brushes and to use as a solvent, and probably linseed oil to thin them out. I recommend having a bunch of paper towels lying around to wipe brushes on or clean up solvent if necessary.

Other than that, have fun! Oils spread and mix very nicely and you can really get some crazy shit going on. :)

Gusto

Gusto

Goddamnit!

I have four paintings I wanna work on and not enough time to do ANY.

COME ON WEEKEND.

Gusto

Gusto

The cool thing about working on two paintings at once is that all the setup and cleanup is, well, for more than one painting. Especially convenient when you're only working on basic background glazes.

Pics to come when my camera charges. :)

Gusto

Gusto

These are both going to be portraits, which I will start on in earnest once I finish the last background layers, probably sometime in the next couple days.

The green canvas is smaller than what I'm used to working with, only 8x10".

Gusto

Gusto

This just came to me the other day and I've had it stuck in my head ever since.

Muse

I hope to use this character more in the future.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Wow, I hope you use her more too! :uhhuh:-:thumbsup:

Gusto

Gusto

Thanks Shego. :) I don't think she's out of my head just yet, so it might be soon!

WHO KNOWS

Hylian

Hylian

Very nice :thumbsup:

Gusto

Gusto

Thanks bro. :thumbsup:

LittleSin

LittleSin

I really like it. She looks sweet. :)

However...her anatomy is a bit off. This might be your style but I am curious as to weather you can draw an accurate representation of the human form. I know that I have difficulty but I've been working on it.

Gusto

Gusto

It's an uphill struggle, I know.

Cajungal

Cajungal

The shoulders are a tad off, like Lilsin kinda touched on, but I like her a lot. I like the gray you used, I like her cute, sort of shy/canaille smile, and I love the way you did her hair. :)

Gusto

Gusto

You are too kind, Miss Seej. :) I'm a sucker for sideways half-smiles.

More people...

Still not sure what I'm gonna do with 'em but I've been drawing a lot of people.

Hylian

Hylian

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Gusto

Gusto

I'll try. :thumbsup:

Element 117

You should be posting more artwork Gusto. Paint more art , post more art. No excuses

Gusto

Gusto

You mean... like I just did? What the hell are you talking about!?

Anyway, background's done on this one.

Will draw and start the portrait part on this and the other one as soon as I have a day off, maybe on the weekend.

Element 117

it's not enough! IT'S NEVER ENOUGH!

MindDetective

MindDetective

:director:

Gusto

Gusto

Sigh.

linglingface

linglingface

Loverly work!!
and I agree, POST MORE! :p

Gusto

Gusto

Unfortunately I haven't had time to paint recently. At all. It's all been school and work and socializing. I think there may be a break soon but I don't wanna jinx it. I just wanna get to work on this stuff.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words. :)

Gusto

Gusto

Still no time to paint, but I've been sketching mostly every day. Here's something from this afternoon:

It ain't perfect but I feel like I'm getting somewhere, with poses and hands specifically.

Hylian

Hylian

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

and if it's any consolation it looks much better than anything I could ever hope to draw :)

Cajungal

Cajungal

I like the nose. I could never draw a good nose. They always made the person look deformed. She's very cute!

Gusto

Gusto

Hmm.

Much like 90% of every drawing I've ever done, I don't even like it the next day.

Shit.

Gusto

Gusto

Something small from the margins of my DnD notebook. Like most of the doodling I'm somewhat happy with lately it's riddled with my own notes and often on papers that I either can't or shouldn't scan.

Gusto

Gusto

I was bored.

tegid

tegid

Very nice colors!

Gusto

Gusto

Thanks dude. :)

Gusto

Gusto

Finally got the time to do some painting, for the first time since like September.

I'll have to wait until it's dry to do details like eyelashes, hair, eyebrows, eye details, et cetera. But it's nice to have finally worked on it again.

Gusto

Gusto

Sylvaria in our DnD campaign, a 10 year old with the mysterious ability to levitate:

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

I want to learn to draw clothes like you :3

Cajungal

Cajungal

Back when I drew for fun, I could never do the hems of dresses. I like the woman in your painting. I'm really loving the colors you chose, too. I can't wait to see how it turns out. If I had to make one comment--and this might be wrong, because I'm no artist--but the left eye looks a little off, like it's looking a little too far off to the left (or her right) when compared to the other eye. But the shape of the eyes and the shadows around her nose are wonderful. :)

Gusto

Gusto

I want to learn to draw clothes like you :3
Thanks man, I'm just starting to get the hang of it myself. (Get it!? Hang of it!? As in drapery? ...I'm a nerd.)

but the left eye looks a little off, like it's looking a little too far off to the left (or her right) when compared to the other eye.
I noticed this myself and have since already taken steps to rectify it. Thanks for the kind words and I hope to be able to put some more work in on it over my Christmas holiday.

Jiarn

Absolutely love the green-haired girl picture. Fantastic work. If I could afford it right now, I would totally make some requests.

Gusto

Gusto

Haha, thanks man, let me know if you ever do! :)awesome:)

Gusto

Gusto

The Bastard

Tyrdin Non, the fishmonger of Dougan's Hole, who killed Lord Non, the hateful man he thought to be his father.

Biannoshufu

how much figure drawing do you do per day? Do you do anatomical studies, or life drawing?

do you have posemaniacs book marked?

Gusto

Gusto

None of the above. *sheepish*
Added at: 15:15
As you can probably tell. :(

Biannoshufu

Time to get on that, then. You have a great sense of line and illustrative style, but I think the underpinnings of your stuff relies too much on derivative understanding of anatomy rather than direct daily practice. If you want to be a world class marathoner, you run every day. If you want your art to "SELL" you draw every day, right?

Gusto

Gusto

I've just spent the last few minutes looking around at Posemaniacs. The 30 Second Drawing Exercise actually seems like it'll be really useful. I might have to start giving that a shot.

Gusto

Gusto

Sketches of DnD characters, body parts, poses, et cetera.

Biannoshufu

Better!

fade

fade

If you want notes, your heads are too narrow front to back. General rule of thumb is the same distance front to back as the distance from peak of skull to chin. Lengthen the jawline, too. Though I suspect the problems are related.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Your DeviantArt page has ones you should be posting here, Gusto. Like the most recent two.

Gusto

Gusto

They're in my February Madness Thread. I'll be updating this thread with all the worthwhile pieces at the end of the month, but in the meantime, comment over in that thread, if you please. :)

Gusto

Gusto

Here are the worthwhile pieces from my February Madness thread. I've updated the first post with them as well.

TheBrew

Gusto, I really, really like your style.

Plus Scott Pilgrim is always win.

Gusto

Gusto

Well thank you!

Gusto

Gusto

Some sketches/notes/rambling for an upcoming painting project. Maybe this gives a little insight into the process....?

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

I too would like to revisit my childhood.

Gusto

Gusto

Ray guns, man, I should be able to draw 'em.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Gusto, could you write "Space needs bitches" so that the text could fit into a square box, scan that, and then post it? I want it as an avatar.

Gusto

Gusto

A thing what I sketched on the back of a chart from work.

Gusto

Gusto

After having a couple people approach me to do paintings and finding out that I don't really have the ability to do them, I've decided to get back to work on paintings that I've left fall by the wayside.

drifter

drifter

If you're trying to improve your painting skills, one thing I might suggest working on is your brush strokes. Something one of my teachers told me that has stuck (in concept if not in execution) is that you should try to keep your brush strokes interesting. A vague bit of advice, but one that came to mind looking at your background. Painting from the shoulder can help.

Gusto

Gusto

Yeah that background is basically just a placeholder for now but I'm not exactly sure WHAT to do with it.

phil

phil

After having a couple people approach me to do paintings and finding out that I don't really have the ability to do them, I've decided to get back to work on paintings that I've left fall by the wayside.

:(

Gusto

Gusto

I'm sorry Phil but I may have to cancel on you, or at least delay.

Gusto

Gusto

A thing that I drew that I might make into a looser more impressionistic painting at some point. After I finish my current painting, of course.

Gusto

Gusto

More progress. Some limited beginnings on a more interesting background, and you can see the guidlines for the remainder.

Gusto

Gusto

Good news everyone! Today I finished my painting. Here's a picture of it in the sunlight.

I might take more pictures of it under different lighting, just so it looks like it would actually look inside a house. That might have to wait a few days until I can borrow a camera again.

I'll also be posting/reposting all my progress pictures for this painting over the weekend at my new Facebook Page, Kevin Miller's Oil Paintings.

Gusto

Gusto

Here's another photo from a different camera, shows off the colours a bit more accurately, I think, but doesn't focus as well... Sigh. One day I'll get a good picture of this painting. I need my OWN camera back.

Morphine

Morphine

Did I say I love it already? ...well, I LOVE IT!

such an honor to be painted by such a talented hand :)

Hylian

Hylian

It looks very nice :thumbsup:

Gusto

Gusto

Oh, Morfina, you are so kind. I have a great big smile right now!

Cajungal

Cajungal

Beautiful. :) I like what you did with the background.

Gusto

Gusto

A couple sketches.

The first is based on a drawing on deviantArt that I kinda like, the second is cartoons of Community characters and also a self-portrait.

Gusto

Gusto

A little something in progress.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Ooh what are you planning?

Gusto

Gusto

A very textured but minimalistic diptych. Basically layering up the white pretty thick, glazing or drybrushing it with a bit of beige towards the bottom half/third, physically carving one continuous crack across the two canvasses, like rock splitting, and painting that a dark red-brown.

This is a commission too, so it's already sold. :)

fade

fade

"My god, it's full of etc." should be someone's catch phrase.

Gusto

Gusto

"My god, it's full of etc." should be someone's catch phrase.
That is so close to my catchphrase that it's not even et cetera.

Gusto

Gusto

Here's a good page of some of the sketches I made in February. Check 'em out or don't.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Do you guys see that awesome hair on the girl at the bottom?

Strive for that perfection, everyone.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Nice! The top middle girl's hair is really cool. I like your necks. Hard to explain why...

Gusto

Gusto

The hair on the top middle girl is my favourite too. :)

Gusto

Gusto

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Intriguing....

LittleSin

LittleSin

I forget, Gusto, do you use acrylics or oils?

Gusto

Gusto

Oils.

Gusto

Gusto

El Progresso!

More to come, hopefully this week.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Woooo!

Cajungal

Cajungal

Very cool. I like the shape of your branches.

Gusto

Gusto

Glad to see people still care. :)

Gusto

Gusto

Other than a little edgework, I think this one is done. :)

Gusto

Gusto

Finished painting on wall, during an overcast afternoon:

During the evening with the room lit:

And a few during a sunny afternoon, where sunlight is coming in from a bay window to the right, and reflecting off the hardwood floor. I like these pictures a lot because they show the texture of the paint much more dramatically:

Gusto

Gusto

Detail shot of a sketch in progress for a new commission I'm working on for our very own Chad Sexington :

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Seriously can't even say how excited I am. Haha :D

Gusto

Gusto

Seriously can't even say how excited I am. Haha :D
Me too man, I like the drawing more every time I see it, which is the opposite of how things usually go. ;)

Gusto

Gusto

A quick little mock-up sketch of a painting I'll be starting soon. Not Chad Sexington 's, another one.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Coooool. Can't wait to see on canvas.

Gusto

Gusto

I'll be posting pictures of my progress as I always have, but currently the canvas is just straight up black. Not exactly the most thrilling progress shot, not just yet.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Is it blacker than the blackest black times infinity?

nathan.gif

Gusto

Gusto

Is it blacker than the blackest black times infinity?

View attachment 9730
No but if it fit's into your heavy metal worldview, here's a fun little story:

While painting the first coat this weekend, I noticed the paint had kind of a funny smell. I've never used this much black paint EVER so I decided to check out the ingredients. AND I QUOTE:

Medium: linseed oil.
Pigment: amorphous carbon from charred animal bones.

:wololo:

LittleSin

LittleSin

I repeat:

nathan.gif

Gusto

Gusto

I love how those two images don't sync up.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Black inks and paints often use charcoal gotten from animal bones. Great thing to point out to vegans that have tattoos and don't do research.

Gusto

Gusto

Black inks and paints often use charcoal gotten from animal bones. Great thing to point out to vegans that have tattoos and don't do research.
Yup. I've been telling my more carnivorous friends that animals have been injured in the production of this painting.

figmentPez

figmentPez

"Why suffer for my art, when I can make animals do it for me?"

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Yup. I've been telling my more carnivorous friends that animals have been injured in the production of this painting.
Oh my god I am telling that to my vegetarian friends when I get your painting.

Gusto

Gusto

Oh my god I am telling that to my vegetarian friends when I get your painting.
Haha yours is going to be mostly red and yellow, although there will be SOME black. I imagine most colours just use plant dyes, but I can check.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I think a lot of red uses a certain kind of beetle.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Haha yours is going to be mostly red and yellow, although there will be SOME black. I imagine most colours just use plant dyes, but I can check.
Don't try to ruin this your 'facts' and 'science'.
I think a lot of red uses a certain kind of beetle.
Yeah! See! You got my back! Sort of! I don't think my vegetarian friends care about bugs.

tegid

tegid

Re: carmine (red) dye

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochineal

It seems it's mostly used for cosmetics and food (heh)

Gusto

Gusto

Did some work on a painting commission I’m working on. Got a new brush which laid down the paint beautifully. Looking forward to working on this more this month!

MindDetective

MindDetective

Oooo...that might be one of my favorites so far.

Gusto

Gusto

Progress! Another coat needs to be done on the yellow part, fear not, it’ll look less green. But it’s progressing, no one can deny that!

Gusto

Gusto

Another painting I’m planning for after the two I’m currently commissioned to do! I’ll often scan a loose sketch into Photoshop and play around wit the tablet to come up with a few ideas, as I’ve done here. In this case I printed out one of the digital layers to serve as a stencil for transferring onto canvas.
Kind of a ghetto technique but it gets the job done and will be more necessary for more complex sketches.

Gusto

Gusto

Finished! There will be more pics uploaded to my Paintings Facebook Page when it’s dry and hung, but there you have it.

Gusto

Gusto

Hey guys, if you aren't following my Facebook Page for my paintings, you should be.

http://www.facebook.com/KMillerPainting

Gusto

Gusto

I forgot to upload these final shots but there they are now!

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Now where's my painting?! :D

Awesome job, I love it. It looks fantastic. Also your grin reminds me of Adam Scott...

Gusto

Gusto

Now where's my painting?! :D

Awesome job, I love it. It looks fantastic. Also your grin reminds me of Adam Scott...
Working on it. This weekend coming up is the first one I've had free in like 2 months.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Working on it. This weekend coming up is the first one I've had free in like 2 months.
Haha I promise I'm kidding. I am nothing if not patient. Also, I have kidnapped your family and if you do not produce within 48 hours I SHALL SELL THEM TO SOME VERY UNPLEASANT PEOPLE. You know who I mean. People who squeeze the toothpaste tube from the middle, and never clean the soap scum from the dish, even when they're putting in a new bar of soap, which is basically the ideal transitory time. People who begin sentences with "I'm not racist, but..." and wear crocs. VERY UNPLEASANT.

Gusto

Gusto

Most of those apply to my dad already.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Oh.

Oh...

Uhm. Well alright you can have them back then.

Gusto

Gusto

MY URGES TO PRODUCE ART

HAVE SELDOM BEEN

THIS POWERFUL

I need to save up as much as I can for this, my perhaps most ambitious painting.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Intrigued.

Gusto

Gusto

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Also intrigued. (So intrigued I pronounced it in-tree-ugg-ed)

Gusto

Gusto

Gusto

Gusto

Cajungal

Cajungal

Nice. I like the color you chose to start with. It really fits.

Gusto

Gusto

Nice. I like the color you chose to start with. It really fits.
Thanks Seej. :)

It's definitely a base coat though, I expect to do one or two more washes at least before starting on the foreground.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Yaaaay :D

Gusto

Gusto

How do you feel about the "I intentionally paintined the upside down in order to create upward-streaking drips" that I've included in the base coats?

Gusto

Gusto

I have some more progress I've made on the background for this painting, but I'm afraid to post the results.

Doing wash after wash after wash has made some parts look really grimy, and even though I'll soon be covering them with ANOTHER wash and the grimy looking parts will be covered by the opaque foreground, the in-progress piece right now looks kinda shitty as a result.[DOUBLEPOST=1375370039][/DOUBLEPOST]
How do you feel about the "I intentionally paintined the upside down in order to create upward-streaking drips" that I've included in the base coats?
It's gonna look grreat though, IMO, I should make that clear. Just one of those in-between stages that doesn't look so hot.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I don't know how I missed this. I think it's cool! To be honest I have such a dreadful artistic eye, I might have not noticed it, and I'd definitely never have known that's how you made the effect, so having insight into your tricks is neat :D

I am so excited. So

excited

Gusto

Gusto

I don't know how I missed this. I think it's cool! To be honest I have such a dreadful artistic eye, I might have not noticed it, and I'd definitely never have known that's how you made the effect, so having insight into your tricks is neat :D

I am so excited. So

excited
I thought you were jsut trying to avoid saying something rude!

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I thought you were jsut trying to avoid saying something rude!
Oh I am sorry if I gave that impression! Not at all. I am excited like I can't even say and I think that looks great!

Gusto

Gusto

Oh I am sorry if I gave that impression! Not at all. I am excited like I can't even say and I think that looks great!
Glad to hear it. I think this'll be a good one. I'm hoping for better weather so I can paint the foreground out in the sunshine on the deck.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Glad to hear it. I think this'll be a good one. I'm hoping for better weather so I can paint the foreground out in the sunshine on the deck.
Painting in the sunshine sounds lovely. I would do that, if I painted.

Gusto

Gusto

I'm really looking forward to doing the foreground. The execution might be critical but it should be dont in one or two sessions, very quick and fun.

Gusto

Gusto

Washes on washes on washes.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

!!!

Gusto

Gusto

Gusto

Gusto

@Chad Sexington !!!

I started on flats today!!!

I think you gonna enjoy. All I've done so far is the skin and it's almost enough for me.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

!!!

Gusto

Gusto

What I really need is your cell number so I can just text you these things.

Gusto

Gusto

Also I know you're busy but that's the second time you've done that recently, and I really need some better feedback, even if it's not from you! :(

Gusto

Gusto

The pre-foreground outline, in kinda washed-out direct sun:

More to come!

Gusto

Gusto

Now, the first stage of flats. Under a variety of lighting conditions and a few camera angles.

First is in direct sunlight, washed out by my camera.

Second is in my bedroom with very low natural light, lights off, camera flash.

This is the most accurate to how the colours looks in life, taken in the basement again but with the artificial light on.

Gusto

Gusto

A bit more progress, enough to show that the trim is white and the skin isn't.

Gusto

Gusto

Gusto

Gusto

Gusto

Gusto

If you guys like my stuff then you should follow me on Tumblr, probably!

http://artgusto.tumblr.com/

Gusto

Gusto

If you guys like my stuff then you should follow me on Tumblr, probably!

http://artgusto.tumblr.com/
ETA:

Thanks a lot to @Chad Sexington @figmentPez @Zappit @tinabeebz and @Bumble the Boy Wonder for making it all feel worthwhile.

Gusto

Gusto

Morphine

Morphine

What happened to the painting you made of one of my pictures? Do you still have it? I really liked it :)
Kisses to you, Gustito :**

Gusto

Gusto

What happened to the painting you made of one of my pictures? Do you still have it? I really liked it :)
Kisses to you, Gustito :**
I still have it. :)

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Wow looking at this pics at this resolution is soooo awesome. Not that I don't love your texts, but I've been without internet since Sunday, so this is an awesome treat :D

Gusto

Gusto

My parents recently got a few new TVs that I helped them install. Now our house is full of long, tall, thin cardboard boxes and sheets of styrofoam and so forth.

Sometimes appropriate shipping materials just present themselves. ;)[DOUBLEPOST=1382216337,1382216305][/DOUBLEPOST]I also have at least one more progress pic that I've sent to Leigh but never posted online. Maybe I'll do that today.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I've been showing all the pics off to friends/family; they're excited for me to have it!

Gusto

Gusto

Gusto

Gusto

I was hoping for more than zero comments on this...

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

COMMENT!

I know you've already heard my reply via text, but damn it looks great.

My sister really likes the dress flowing, and my best friend loves the orange/dark orange background; his favourite colour is orange and he likes the 'warmth' in the marriage of the two shades.

Gusto

Gusto

COMMENT!

I know you've already heard my reply via text, but damn it looks great.

My sister really likes the dress flowing, and my best friend loves the orange/dark orange background; his favourite colour is orange and he likes the 'warmth' in the marriage of the two shades.
I'm glad y'all are liking it. I estimate only a few more hours work necessary on this beast. I hope to have it to you by the end of the year.

Hylian

Hylian

Sorry for the delay in response (I have been busy with work).

That is an amazing picture, I am truly envious of you abilities!

Gusto

Gusto

Sorry for the delay in response (I have been busy with work).

That is an amazing picture, I am truly envious of you abilities!
Thanks Hy Guy. :)

Gusto

Gusto

A few detail shots before my next update.

Gusto

Gusto

Here are a few shots of the painting I'm working on next. I've posted some planning sketches of it earlier, I think:

This one's not on commission for the first time since 2011, so who knows how quickly I'll get it done. I just had my New Years's resolution to do three paintings this year, but it's unlikely I'll finish this in the next 6 weeks.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I love her face. It's a wonderfully carefree expression.

Gusto

Gusto

I love her face. It's a wonderfully carefree expression.
Thank you! I used a few references to get the angles of the chin, neck and shoulders right, but I can take full credit for the face, expression and hair. :)

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Oh, I really like that! I second the lovely expression, and I really like the soft curve on her lips, and flow to her hair.

Maybe I'll have more than one Gusto original in my possession..... >.>

Gusto

Gusto

Oh, I really like that! I second the lovely expression, and I really like the soft curve on her lips, and flow to her hair.

Maybe I'll have more than one Gusto original in my possession..... >.>
Haha, that'd be welcome! Maybe you can show my progress on this to your friends as well. :)

Gusto

Gusto

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

!!!

Maaan Gusto.... You're a damn hero. I am showing this off to my employees right the hell now.

Gusto

Gusto

!!!

Maaan Gusto.... You're a damn hero. I am showing this off to my employees right the hell now.
You're gonna love this thing man. Still needs a bit of detailing but it's otherwise finished. Note that these photos don't really show the darks correctly though, which you can tell by looking at her hair. The colours are also a bit less saturated.

But these are just process pictures taken on my cell phone - I intend to take a variety of higher-quality photos of the finished piece before shipping to you. :)

Gusto

Gusto

Finished piece, in a few different lighting conditions:

Higher quality photos and detail shots still to come. :)

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I'm going to shit myself when that thing arrives.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I hope it comes with a change of underwear!

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I hope it comes with a change of underwear!
It would be courteous of him

Gusto

Gusto

A few detail shots of the finished piece, unfortunately still with a low-quality camera.

This one's just for funsies. ;)

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Was showing this painting off again a few nights ago. There's a space on my wall that needs it!

Gusto

Gusto

The finished piece, in high-quality, with colours corrected as much as my limited Photoshop knowledge will allow me:

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Horrible! I CHANGE MY MIND AND REJECT IT

SEND IT AWAY

it's amazing. I'm so happy :D

Gusto

Gusto

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I am the proud owner of my first piece of commissioned art. I am happier than I can say about it! This is just a phone pic; I'll have to take some with my actual camera.

Gusto

Gusto

Use what materials are on hand when you get te sudden urge to practice drawing girls wit short hair, that's what I say.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Mmmm...short hair.

Gusto

Gusto

I've got the house to myself this week so I'm taking the opportunity to work on one of my WIPs, plus starting something new:

Gusto

Gusto

I finished that painting tonight.

I've been wanting to experiment with doing smaller, faster paintings - much more dashed off and freeform that the big elaborate paintings I've done here previously that take like 3-9 months to do.

Not counting time for setup or cleanup, from finding a reference image and first putting pencil directly to pencil to canvas with no warmup, this whole painting took me about 2.5 hours.

I'm interested to see if I can do something even faster, but I've got actual paid work I should get to first.

Pics will be up when it's dry. :)

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

The palette looks very stormy. Can't wait to see the painting!

Gusto

Gusto

My goal was to use a smaller canvas (9x12") and see how quickly I could finish a less intricate painting. The subject matter ended up being a bit more concrete/complex than my original vision, but not counting setup/cleanup, I was able to finish this painting in 2.5 hours, over the course of 4 sessions.

Here's the first, a 45 minute sketch, with no time spent on warm-ups or practice sketches. Almost half that 45 minutes was spent with the eraser, which is why the sketch looks relatively clean and parts of it already look shaded (pencil on canvas smudges a lot!).

Stay tuned for the rest!

Gusto

Gusto

These three photos represent about an hour of work, and are the result of @WasabiPoptart 's stormy palette from the other day. :)

The goal was to add some tone but to keep things relatively flat-looking with not much detail. THAT will come in the next step. ;)

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Hey. Aren't there supposed to be some other photos round these parts?

Gusto

Gusto

Wow, I completely forgot. A few are already on my Paintings Page, but here are some shots that @Chad Sexington took of When We Fly in it's new home:

Gusto

Gusto

The penultimate step in the process. Spot blacks and outlines that help give the previous steps the form they were too flat to give themselves. I contemplated stopping here and calling it done, but I'm glad I didn't. One more to go. :)

This step, adding the black, took about half an hour.

Gusto

Gusto

Sneak preview! I'm posting this on my Facebook Paintings page later tonight, and I encourage you to check it out there anyway. :)

The finished piece, Noise:

I did a couple touch-ups here, following three layers of washes that I didn't give the proper time to dry - you can actually see a couple spots where they "erase" each other. I blotted out most of the wash from the foreground but it's effects are still there - the skin is tinged blue throughout and purple in a few places.

This whole stage took me less than 15 minutes, bringing the entirety of the piece up to 2.5 hours.

Gusto

Gusto

Here are a few shots of the painting I'm working on next. I've posted some planning sketches of it earlier, I think:

This one's not on commission for the first time since 2011, so who knows how quickly I'll get it done. I just had my New Years's resolution to do three paintings this year, but it's unlikely I'll finish this in the next 6 weeks.
@Cajungal and @Chad Sexington expressed an interest in this one, so paging them. :)

I've had some more time to work on this recently so get ready for a few progress updates!

First off, let's add some atmosphere! And since I had to do it in stages, do it in various lighting conditions!

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Maybe... I'll have two Gusto originals......

Gusto

Gusto

Maybe... I'll have two Gusto originals......
I've found your type! Ladies with only a left profile!

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

:D haha Yes, I never could hide it well.

Gusto

Gusto

Maybe you see where I'm going with this. :)

drifter

drifter

Her right shoulder/clavicle looks pretty jacked. Is she supposed to be rolling it forward? Also, the sternocleidomastoid attaches to the top of the sternum.

Gusto

Gusto

Her right shoulder/clavicle looks pretty jacked. Is she supposed to be rolling it forward? Also, the sternocleidomastoid attaches to the top of the sternum.
Fuck.

Gusto

Gusto

I'm not terribly worried about it. I used a couple reference images and it's looking pretty good now, in its further stage.

drifter

drifter

I used a couple reference images and it's looking pretty good now

It better. *shakes fist*

Gusto

Gusto

It better. *shakes fist*
I have this dreadful feeling you'll still disapprove. This is realtalk - I feel like I blew it.

drifter

drifter

Gusto

Gusto

Starting on the foreground, with a bit of shading, knowing that I'm going to touch it up a bit and ultimately want it to look kinda flat.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

BLONDE?!?!?!?!

FORGET IT

Seriously, though. Loving the progress photos :)

Gusto

Gusto

Guys this post should show off just how much more I prefer drawing things cartoony than realistic.

This time I shaded the skin a bit more and added a bit more “life” to it. Most notable is the return of the outlines, which I think is a striking look. I can’t help it, I just wanna paint cartoons! :D

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Still, though. Blonde.

I really like the look of the outlines; striking is a good word for it.

Gusto

Gusto

Still, though. Blonde.

I really like the look of the outlines; striking is a good word for it.
If it's any consolation, the next girl painting I do will likely be a redhead.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

With tattoos? Because I will need some time alone with that painting.

Gusto

Gusto

With tattoos? Because I will need some time alone with that painting.
I was thinking about it actually...

Gusto

Gusto

Celt Z

Celt Z

It looks great, Gusto! And my stuff, even the realistic, tends to look a bit cartoony as well, so enjoy it as your style. :)

Gusto

Gusto

Completing the foreground:

Next step is to add those fantastical elements I like so much. :)

Cajungal

Cajungal

Like! Very pretty. :)

Gusto

Gusto

Fantastical elements, the finished piece:

"Wind"

Oil on canvas, 16x20", 2014.

Hylian

Hylian

I somehow have missed checking this thread for awhile and I apologize for that. I must say I really love and admire your work and I just wanted to let you know that. :)

Cajungal

Cajungal

Ohh I love that green! There is something superheroish about it now somehow.

Gusto

Gusto

Ohh I love that green! There is something superheroish about it now somehow.
That's sorta kinda the vibe I was going for! Glad it sorta kinda came through. :D

I somehow have missed checking this thread for awhile and I apologize for that. I must say I really love and admire your work and I just wanted to let you know that. :)
No problem bro! Thanks for the kind words, and glad to have you back! Watch my thread, never miss an update! :)

Hylian

Hylian

I actually do have your thread watched I just have been super busy with work and somehow I didn't get around to checking it out :oops:

Gusto

Gusto

Notepad sketches. I've been doing these often enough lately that I think I would finally be able to justify buying a sketchbook.

fade

fade

You're getting much better. I never was a huge fan of the upper-lip-only style, though. It always looked like the Kim Possible women had moustaches to me.

Gusto

Gusto

You're getting much better. I never was a huge fan of the upper-lip-only style, though. It always looked like the Kim Possible women had moustaches to me.
I like it in a way. From time to time. I definitely get back into the full mouth for the other three pages I've drawn recently.

Gusto

Gusto

drifter

drifter

Hey Gusto, remember before how i mentioned an imaginary grid? I really think you should keep that in mind.

Freckle face is cute, and rather unlike your usual style. Is that from something, or are you experimenting?

Celt Z

Celt Z

The freckled girl makes me think of Merida if she got a hold of a straightening iron.

Gusto

Gusto

Freckle girl was me trying to ape some Glen Keane style.

[DOUBLEPOST=1421006422,1421006392][/DOUBLEPOST]Also I completely don't remember grid advice, allow me to back up a few pages.

drifter

drifter

I'm not super familiar with Glen Keane, but it looks pretty good!

It was from another thread, but basically imagine a grid over the face, so you can better gauge the symmetry.

Gusto

Gusto

This time featuring my attempts at Emma Watson and Natalie Portman.

Gusto

Gusto

Last of the sketches for now.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Dang that bottom one is really cool. She's kind of severe-looking, and I love the brows. Great detail around the eyelids.